Postcards from the Edge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Postcards from the Edge Reviews

Bathsheba Monk
½ June 11, 2013
Meryl Streep is amazing in this. The script is wonderful and the mother/daughter rivalry is expertly realized by Streep and Shirley MacLaine.
LWOODS04
February 1, 2010
Cast: Meryl Streep, Shirley MacLaine, Dennis Quaid, Gene Hackman, Richard Dreyfuss, Rob Reiner, Mary Wickes, Conrad Bain, Annette Bening, Simon Callow

Director: Mike Nichols

Summary: Carrie Fisher's scathing, hilarious and confessional novel -- adapted from her own best-seller about a woman (Meryl Streep) who becomes addicted to drugs while pursuing a Hollywood acting career -- makes a successful transition to the big screen. Shirley MacLaine enjoys her best role in years as Streep's self-absorbed mother, a faded movie queen who meddles in her daughter's affairs and doesn't believe time has passed her by.

My Thoughts: "How could you not want to see a film that has two great actresses as the leading ladies. Meryl Streep and Shirley MacLaine play mother and daughter, it doesn't get any better then this. They were both amazing in their roles of course. The film also has a very talented supporting cast, from Dennis Quaid to Gene Hackman and Richard Dreyfuss. Also a little cameo from Annette Bening. The film gives you a glimpse of the show biz world and what it was like for a daughter to not only grow up with a famous mother, but to also be in the spot light. The film has some great one-liners from Meryl's character Suzanne. It's funny in that dark comedy way. Which is exactly what this film is, a dark comedy. The relationship between mother and daughter is one of love and hate. The hate mostly coming from the daughter's end. The mother could be quite smothering at times. I thought it was a great film. One I wouldn't mind seeing again."
July 13, 2010
A cute little comedy with obvious influences from the inspiring book written by none other than Carrie Fisher. Her biting wit and Hollywood insight made for a highly original film. At the front of the cast is the amazing Meryl Streep who portrays another junkie looking for a reason to feel. The great Shirley Maclaine plays a loving caricature of Debbie Reynolds, the main drama in a film that badly needed it. It lacks a balance, but is entertaining.
December 26, 2009
Unfocused film lingers between comedy and drama without ever really deciding where it should stand. Boring, talky and misleading, POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE stars Shirley MacLaine and Meryl Streep as mother and daughter Doris and Suzanne, respectively. As it's to be expected, both leads deliver great performances, although nothing really extraordinary. A brief appearance by Annette Bening is the highlight.
deano
½ January 31, 2007
A fantastic, consistently amusing, satire about the wacky world of Hollywood between Meryl Streep and Shirley MacLaine. It's very funny.
February 16, 2012
A fairly funny and poignant drama inspired by Carrie Fisher's novel of the same title. There is excellent chemistry here which isn't surprising considering that Mike Nichols is the director.
August 10, 2007
Good mother/daughter chemistry from MacLaine and Streep and some great musical performances.
March 27, 2016
Insightful, poignant, heartfelt and hilarious - Carrie Fisher bared it all in her source book, and it shines thru the performances here.
June 20, 2015
A fun movie with great performances from Meryl Streep, Shirley MacLaine, and Dennis Quaid. Carrie Fisher's writing is great and Mike Nichols does a good job directing it with some great musical moments for Streep
½ April 29, 2015
Really terrific performances all around, and a genuinely endearing and funny script. Overlooked and underappreciated, definitely worth "Checkin' Out."
September 3, 2014
Streep really holds the film together with her performance. I have not been a Shirley MacLaine fan of her starring roles in the 60's and 70's, but here in a supporting role she is better. Gene Hackman is so great here in basically an extended cameo I wish he had been a larger part of the story.
½ August 14, 2014
The set-up is not really believable and there are unneeded singing "moments" for Streep -- but this film has bite. It works especially well when Shirley MacLaine (doing a dead-on impersonation of Debbie Reynolds) is on the screen. She and Streep work so well together one has to forgive some of the film's weaker aspects. In the end, Carrie Fisher's book is far superior, but this is fun entertainment.
July 25, 2014
A lot of it was kept under wraps until the publication of her semi-autobiographical novel, but Carrie Fisher led one of the more interesting lives in Hollywood during the early years of her life and career. That new novel is now a film called "Postcards From the Edge", with a screenplay by Fisher as well, and while there is plenty to admire here, the film version suffers from a severe split personality.

The opening moments are quite good, with Fisher's on-screen alter-ego personified here by Meryl Streep overdosing and being committed to a treatment facility. Streep is very good in those scenes, at first denying her substance abuse problem before admitting them to her herself and those around her. Those wonderful dramatic moments, however, are soon there after interspersed with more lighthearted moments and that's where my problem with the picture lies.

Taken separately, the comedy and the drama both work, they just don't mesh well together. In perhaps the film's best scene, the mood is perfectly set. It's the wonderfully melancholy moment in which Streep sings the Ray Charles classic "You Don't Know Me", and the wistfulness of that instance is never captured again. It finds just the right tone.

The behind-the-scenes Hollywood stuff is terrific as well, as director Mike Nichols systematically shatters the illusion of filmmaking, and the vast array of glorified cameos are fun as well. "Postcards From the Edge" often feels like two very different movies at war with one another. The dramatic film should have won.
June 16, 2014
I am quite a fan of director Mike Nichols (The Graduate, The Birdcage, Working Girl (can't wait to see Virginia Woolf and Heartburn)) and I absolutely love Meryl Streep. So you can imagine that I would love this film, right?

Well, I didn't love it. I only liked it. I loved Meryl Streep's hilarious and gripping performance which earned an Oscar nom. Shirley MacLaine also gave a great performance.

Overall, it was a well conceived story, but it didn't hit home for me. And even though Meryl Streep can sing well for an actor, her singing did fit into the story for me.

Postcards from the Edge, I give you a 60%.
November 29, 2013
Watched again recently and probably understood better at 44 than 20. Shirley and Meryl take the show. One of their best movies ever.
June 27, 2011
Excellent dynamic between the 2 leads... Great acting and fascinating story of the life of Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher.
½ June 8, 2011
This cast were all in a place where they could pick & choose at the time, so they picked a Good one from their many & varied choices.This Movie is about the effects of Drug Addiction, Fame, friendship, & Family, well acted & a Superb Story.Meryl Steep & Shirley MacClaine, Gene Hackman, Richard Dreyfuss,Dennis Quiad, Isn't that all you need to know?
July 11, 2010
Shirley and Meryl are amazing together. The film was so funny but dramatic too. Their performances and bond on the sceeen made the film so much fun to watch. Though I will admit that this is not one of Nichol's (director) best films...the movie is still worth of a 100%. Carrie Fisher's writing was what made this movie so fantastic. Another good movie.
½ August 5, 2009
A great satiric comedy with strong performances from both Streep and MacLaine. The all star cameos surprised me throughout. Streep is a brilliant comedienne and is undervalued in this department.
½ May 10, 2008
pretty enjoyable, despite all the mother/daughter angst. great singing from meryl and shirley, of course.