• R, 1 hr. 41 min.

84% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1

Postcards from the Edge Reviews

Dominic S.
June 16, 2014
I am quite a fan of director Mike Nichols (The Graduate, The Birdcage, Working Girl (can't wait to see Virginia Woolf and Heartburn)) and I absolutely love Meryl Streep. So you can imagine that I would love this film, right?

Well, I didn't love it. I only liked it. I loved Meryl Streep's hilarious and gripping performance which earned an Oscar nom. Shirley MacLaine also gave a great performance.

Overall, it was a well conceived story, but it didn't hit home for me. And even though Meryl Streep can sing well for an actor, her singing did fit into the story for me.

Postcards from the Edge, I give you a 60%.
starlett2005
May 15, 2014
Postcards from the Edge is an amazing film. It is about substance-addicted Hollywood actress Suzanne Vale is on the skids. Meryl Streep and Shirley MacLaine give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. Mike Nichols did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the humor and drama. Postcards from the Edge is a must see.
March 18, 2014
Neither the stars nor the director have phoned it in, and this is no exception.
January 23, 2014
Yet another master class in acting from La Streep in her finest comedic work. She doesn't miss a beat and neither does Shirley Maclaine as Streep's out-of-her-prime mama bear. The two together are electrifying, and while still played with a significant amount of laughs, provide an in-depth look at how celebrity mother and daughter relationships operate.
PetrosTser
October 8, 2013
Two great actresses in undemanding roles, a good score, few laugh-out-loud scenes and an old-fashioned feel throughout resutling in a merely good film.
August 24, 2013
This movie is what I assume is based on part of the real life relationship between the actresses Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds. And while the story and some of the characters needed maybe another 30 minutes to be fleshed out a bit more, this is a movie to watch for the two leads.

Streep and MacLaine are just fantastic here. They even both get one scene, Streep gets two, to show their singing ability and I never really knew they were such great singers. I have seen Streep in Mamma Mia, but her voice is so much more amazing here singing country stuff.

There is a scene with MacLaine where she is minus and makeup nor a wig, and they do this long scene showing her transform from normal looking into the glam you can see on the poster. Coming from a guy, this scene just blew me away for some reason. You can actually see her transform emotionally as the makeup is applied.

I just wish more time was given to the supporting cast. Most only have ONE scene to get anything in. While Gene Hackman gets in a few great scenes, Dreyfuss, Reiner, Oliver Platt, Benning and even Quaid just don't register as very good characters.

And I would have liked to see more of the struggles with getting off drugs, and that whole transformation. Or better yet, if her career was able to recover. I mean she goes back to work, but we never know how successful that work became.

But the acting was fantastic from the ladies, and Streep looked smokin' in the police uniform no?
mijatovicslavisa1
July 9, 2013
Postcards from the Edge is a rather fun comedy. With the excellent Meryl Streep and Shirley MacLaine, it is definitely a feel-good type of comedy. There is nothing overtly special about this film - it is a rather simple success--utter failure--pick yourself up--and success again, type of story. However, the acting, especially by the two female leads (Streep and MacLaine), is just great, and they definitely are believable as celebrity mother and daughter. The storyline, as mentioned, is rather simple, but is underpinned by a deeper story of a cycle of vice that a family can go through and how it can lead to the deterioration of relations within the family, and possibly even lead to fatalities. Overall, this is a rather good film and definitely worth watching, but do not expect to be blown out of your shoes.
June 18, 2013
Theres nothing even about postcards in it ffs.....
Bathsheba Monk
Bathsheba Monk

June 11, 2013
Meryl Streep is amazing in this. The script is wonderful and the mother/daughter rivalry is expertly realized by Streep and Shirley MacLaine.
May 24, 2013
I've never known a film starring Meryl Streep not to be watchable, and this was an enjoyable drama about an actress battling with an addiction to the demon drink. The scene at the beginning was very clever, which turned out to be a scene being acted, rather than as part of the film that we were watching!
January 21, 2012
Put MacLaine and Streep together and this is what you get. What more could we have asked?
December 7, 2012
Could watch this sometime if i can find.
November 15, 2012
Through Carrie Fisher's confessional screenwriting and Mike Nichols skilled hand, the MacLaine-Streep powerplay shows how unwelcome truth always is in a dysfunctional mother-daughter relationship, although it always seems to be the only road towards a solution. And yes, MacLaine is hawwwt here.
September 19, 2012
This is one of those movies I've heard great things about and then when I sat down to watch it wondered if the people who had said it was a great movie had actually seen it ? It was slow getting to the 'good part' and then when it got there it wasn't worth the wait ... I love both Meryl and Shirley but this was just not a great movie
September 18, 2012
Les rapports à la drogue et à la mère sous l'angle de la comédie, superficiel mais plaisant
August 24, 2012
an under appreciated lil gem
July 29, 2012
Weird, but entertaining comedy with a ensemble cast of actors from that time and even before.
June 11, 2012
A true story, and a damn fine film. Directed by Mike Nichols (Closer, The Graduate). A great film.
April 13, 2012
funny funny funny funny ladies
johnnytangster
April 2, 2012
There's a slightness to Postcards From the Edge, and a little too much satirical self-help jargon (the story is all about how Suzanne learns to like herself). But the movie captures - and celebrates - how easy it is to turn your problems into show biz. Their drugs are Cigarettes, Television, and Hostess Cup Cakes. In the end, if I am ever reincarnated and I have my choice between hating my White Trash Mom or hating my movie star Mom. I'm picking the movie star Mom every time. Postcards From the Edge seems to have been a terrifically genial collaboration between the writer and the director, Miss Fisher's tale of odd-ball woe being perfect material for Mr. Nichols's particular ability to discover the humane sensibility within the absurd. Among the pleasures to be found here are some amusing sidelong glances at how movies get made and the singing talent of Streep as well as MacLaine. There's not much depth here, but Nichols does a fine job with the surface effects, and the wisecracks keep coming. Postcards From the Edge is alive only when it's being as mean and vicious as its little heart can be, which is more than often enough.

VERDICT: "High-Quality Stuff" - [Positive Reaction] This is a rating to a movie I view as very entertaining and well made, and definitely worth paying the full price at a theatre to see or own on DVD. It is not perfect, but it is definitely excellent. (Films that are rated 3.5 or 4 stars)