Postcards from the Edge - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Postcards from the Edge Reviews

½ April 2, 2016
The screenplay isn't so deep on the drama or funny enough on its comic side but Meryl Streep's typically mesmerizing performance carries the movie on its own.
March 27, 2016
Insightful, poignant, heartfelt and hilarious - Carrie Fisher bared it all in her source book, and it shines thru the performances here.
June 20, 2015
A fun movie with great performances from Meryl Streep, Shirley MacLaine, and Dennis Quaid. Carrie Fisher's writing is great and Mike Nichols does a good job directing it with some great musical moments for Streep
½ May 22, 2015
The movie's "set up" is very false, but Carrie Fisher's script is sharp, witty and entertaining. Most importantly, this film works thanks to Streep and MacLaine who really bring it all to life.
½ May 3, 2015
Una maravilla ver a estas dos maestras juntas haciendo con maestría el buen script de esta película.
½ April 29, 2015
Really terrific performances all around, and a genuinely endearing and funny script. Overlooked and underappreciated, definitely worth "Checkin' Out."
September 5, 2013
Based on the real life relationship between Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher with Shirley MacLaine and Meryl Streep in the respective roles, Postcards from the Edge sounded like an intriguing look at Carrie Fisher's story.

Postcards from the Edge is a strong film because of the fact that it deals with edgy material in such a straightforward and yet humourous way. The subject matter in the film is very confronting, and the lighthearted nature of the film manages to make it easier to handle since the blunt realism in everything is both dramatic and funny in its own ways. The general mood of the film is easygoing which is beneficial in its own way because it ensures the film makes for easy viewing, but as a whole I feel like this kind of approach is both hit and miss.
Postcards from the Edge doesn't exactly confront its material in the best possible way though. It deals with themes of recovery from drug addiction, a complicated mother-daughter relationship and the way that people are treated in Hollywood, particularly women. By confronting these concepts in a lighthearted manner, Postcards from the Edge overlooks a lot of dramatic potential in favour of a less melodramatic angle which is admirable in parts but also means that the dramatic effect of the film is limited at times. It is not always as strong as it can be, and this is a general consensus for the film for better and for worse. For me, the film felt somewhat distant and that it didn't explore its characters or particularly the relationship between Suzanne Vale and Doris Mann as well as it could have. There was much more focus on the Hollywood scene than the more deep and complex elements of the characters which made Postcards from the Edge somewhat shallow in its own way, and considering the fact that it is based on a semi-autobiographical story about Carrie Fisher's relationship with her mother Debbie Reynolds, I felt that Mike Nichols didn't precisely capture the edge of the story. I can't say for sure because I have never read the source material, but I will say that the film intrigued me enough to go out and do that because there was enough charm in it to make for reasonable viewing. It isn't perfect and the material certainly hasn't aged perfectly, but it still contains a distinctive charm which comes into play thanks to Carrie Fisher's screenplay and the handling that Mike Nichols gives to it. He is one of the strongest driving forces in bringing the material to life, and while he may not do it perfectly, he is certainly able to achieve that with a sense of style under his belt. Under his direction, the subject matter of the film is brought to life and is given an interesting mood which keeps things entertaining even if the events are not as entertaining as they could have been.
The one thing which never has any trouble coming to life in Postcards from the Edge is the exceptional cast, led by the always magnificent Meryl Streep.
Meryl Streep is a great lead in Postcards from the Edge. As an actress who has made a name for herself performing in very complex character parts, it is intriguing to see her in the role of an actress because it makes the reality of the film more encouraging, and she just sinks her teeth into the role. She captures the part with edge in terms of both comedy and drama, and she shares a remarkable chemistry with every other cast member in many different ways. Meryl Streep constantly keeps the spirits alive in Postcards from the Edge with a performance rich with charisma and of her tension in every situation be it for the drama or the laughs, and she is able to make her part a really likable one which illuminates her natural spirit as an actress. Her physical involvement in the character is impressive because she always seems on edge in one way or another with Suzanne Vale, and it is a very interesting step for her as an actress.
Shirley MacLaine is also strong. What she presents in her role is a sense of something being hidden in the subtext of her relationship with the daughter of her character, while on the surface she maintains a likable demeanour. It is artificial, but gleefully artificial to the point that the only time viewers are likely to remember it is when there is a true confrontation that goes on with her character. Shirley MacLaine takes on the role well mainly because of the fact that her chemistry with Meryl Streep is thoroughly impressive since both actresses are able to benefit from each other's charismatic talent really well. The interactions of the two Academy Award winning actresses is thoroughly impressive to behold because the two of them remain so consistently passionate about the material the entire time without failing to deal with it for a second. While Shirley MacLaine may not have as much screen time as you might hope for an actress of her calibre, she has no trouble making an impact during her small quantity of time and contributes to characterizing Suzanne Vale nicely.
Dennis Quaid is also good. The actor continues to impress me with every role he takes on, and even his small part in Postcards from the Edge is great because of the chemistry he shares with Meryl Streep. There is a certain sense of passion that goes on between them, and the young charms of Dennis Quaid make him an easily likable foil whenever he is around. He has a passionate spirit to him and a distinctive sense of charm which makes him a mildly interesting presence.

So Postcards from the Edge is not the complex mother-daughter film that it could have been, but with Mike Nichols' stylish direction and Meryl Streep delivering a powerful leading performance, there is enough to make it an entertaining experience.
December 15, 2014
Meryl Streep can be the villain, the hero, the sister, the daughter, the mother, the spirit, the icon. In "Postcards from the Edge," however, she is a flat out mess. Streep portrays Suzanne Vale, a successful actress who is about to hit the post-"I Know Who Killed Me" Lindsay Lohan stage of her career. She relies on cocaine just to get through the day. She partakes in casual affairs she doesn't remember the next day. She is like a robot, barely able to function in her daily job. She doesn't want to hurt anybody, but her habits are about to.
Suzanne is finally given a wake-up call when she accidentally overdoses on a deadly mix of narcotics. After getting her stomach pumped, she ends up in rehab, struggling to piece her life back together. But her shaky mind begins to rattle even more when her mother, Doris Mann (Shirley MacLaine), arrives on the scene. Doris is not just Suzanne's mother; she is a celebrated legend, a symbol of the '50s/'60s era of Hollywood musicals.
Doris means well, but she's possibly too self-centered for her own good. When she throws Suzanne a "welcome-home" party, she opens the front door, mugs for the varying cameras, and, with dramatic emphasis, declares, "My baby is home!" When the party is hitting its last legs, she pressures Suzanne to sing in front of everybody. Yet, the second her daughter finishes, she pulls one of those don't-make-me-sing (wink!) acts and one-ups her without even realizing that it may be just a little bitchy.
The rehab clinic advises that Suzanne live with Doris in order to have someone constantly watching her, but that probably isn't a good idea. Whether she'd like to admit it or not, Doris is an addict herself, popping champagne in the early hours of the morning or mixing in an absurd amount of vodka into her fruit smoothies. Within the important first months of Suzanne's recovery, the mother/daughter dynamic is challenged after years of repressed emotions and unexpressed opinions.
"Postcards from the Edge" originally began as an autographical novel by Princess Leia herself, the self-deprecating Carrie Fisher. As a film (which was also penned by Fisher), it contains a darkly funny sting. Deeply rooted in time-to-get-my-life-together reality and over-the-top, Norma Desmond-like expression, it's a comedy that is solidly entertaining but also bitterly true. One can only wonder how much of the film is lifted directly from the lives of Fisher and her famous mother, the inimitable Debbie Reynolds.
Mike Nichols has made movies that range from profoundly moving to breezily humorous, and "Postcards from the Edge" lands somewhere in the middle. It isn't as vigorously thought-provoking as many of his other undertakings, but it captures the mindset that, no matter how terrible life is, you can always find the laughter in it. Surely, Doris' diva attitude is sickening to the long-suffering Suzanne, but we see the events through Nichols' eyes. We're laughing, uncomfortably of course, but there's also unrelenting sympathy for both Suzanne and Doris. Suzanne has never lived a day without stooping under Doris' grande shadow, and Doris has never been able to meet the expectations of her ever-grumbling mother (Mary Wickes). Nichols films these women through a comedic lens, but there's an underlying anguish that he captures with enrichment.
If "Postcards from the Edge" is more scathing than it is meaningful, we have Streep, MacLaine, and Fisher to thank for all of its successes. Streep and MacLaine immerse themselves in their roles, understanding the women they're playing with unforced ease, while Fisher's screenplay contains absolutely scintillating dialogue. It isn't without its faults, but "Postcards from the Edge" rarely misses the mark.
September 3, 2014
Streep really holds the film together with her performance. I have not been a Shirley MacLaine fan of her starring roles in the 60's and 70's, but here in a supporting role she is better. Gene Hackman is so great here in basically an extended cameo I wish he had been a larger part of the story.
½ August 14, 2014
The set-up is not really believable and there are unneeded singing "moments" for Streep -- but this film has bite. It works especially well when Shirley MacLaine (doing a dead-on impersonation of Debbie Reynolds) is on the screen. She and Streep work so well together one has to forgive some of the film's weaker aspects. In the end, Carrie Fisher's book is far superior, but this is fun entertainment.
July 25, 2014
A lot of it was kept under wraps until the publication of her semi-autobiographical novel, but Carrie Fisher led one of the more interesting lives in Hollywood during the early years of her life and career. That new novel is now a film called "Postcards From the Edge", with a screenplay by Fisher as well, and while there is plenty to admire here, the film version suffers from a severe split personality.

The opening moments are quite good, with Fisher's on-screen alter-ego personified here by Meryl Streep overdosing and being committed to a treatment facility. Streep is very good in those scenes, at first denying her substance abuse problem before admitting them to her herself and those around her. Those wonderful dramatic moments, however, are soon there after interspersed with more lighthearted moments and that's where my problem with the picture lies.

Taken separately, the comedy and the drama both work, they just don't mesh well together. In perhaps the film's best scene, the mood is perfectly set. It's the wonderfully melancholy moment in which Streep sings the Ray Charles classic "You Don't Know Me", and the wistfulness of that instance is never captured again. It finds just the right tone.

The behind-the-scenes Hollywood stuff is terrific as well, as director Mike Nichols systematically shatters the illusion of filmmaking, and the vast array of glorified cameos are fun as well. "Postcards From the Edge" often feels like two very different movies at war with one another. The dramatic film should have won.
½ January 19, 2014
It doesn't take the time to be emotionally invested in the recovery of addiction or alcoholism, but Postcards from the Edge's comic moments, entertaining scenes and feel-good performances from Meryl Streep and Shirley MacLaine makes up for what could have been better but it definitely isn't bad.
June 16, 2014
I am quite a fan of director Mike Nichols (The Graduate, The Birdcage, Working Girl (can't wait to see Virginia Woolf and Heartburn)) and I absolutely love Meryl Streep. So you can imagine that I would love this film, right?

Well, I didn't love it. I only liked it. I loved Meryl Streep's hilarious and gripping performance which earned an Oscar nom. Shirley MacLaine also gave a great performance.

Overall, it was a well conceived story, but it didn't hit home for me. And even though Meryl Streep can sing well for an actor, her singing did fit into the story for me.

Postcards from the Edge, I give you a 60%.
May 15, 2014
Postcards from the Edge is an amazing film. It is about substance-addicted Hollywood actress Suzanne Vale is on the skids. Meryl Streep and Shirley MacLaine give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. Mike Nichols did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the humor and drama. Postcards from the Edge is a must see.
½ March 18, 2014
Neither the stars nor the director have phoned it in, and this is no exception.
January 23, 2014
Yet another master class in acting from La Streep in her finest comedic work. She doesn't miss a beat and neither does Shirley Maclaine as Streep's out-of-her-prime mama bear. The two together are electrifying, and while still played with a significant amount of laughs, provide an in-depth look at how celebrity mother and daughter relationships operate.
November 29, 2013
Watched again recently and probably understood better at 44 than 20. Shirley and Meryl take the show. One of their best movies ever.
October 8, 2013
Two great actresses in undemanding roles, a good score, few laugh-out-loud scenes and an old-fashioned feel throughout resutling in a merely good film.
½ August 24, 2013
This movie is what I assume is based on part of the real life relationship between the actresses Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds. And while the story and some of the characters needed maybe another 30 minutes to be fleshed out a bit more, this is a movie to watch for the two leads.

Streep and MacLaine are just fantastic here. They even both get one scene, Streep gets two, to show their singing ability and I never really knew they were such great singers. I have seen Streep in Mamma Mia, but her voice is so much more amazing here singing country stuff.

There is a scene with MacLaine where she is minus and makeup nor a wig, and they do this long scene showing her transform from normal looking into the glam you can see on the poster. Coming from a guy, this scene just blew me away for some reason. You can actually see her transform emotionally as the makeup is applied.

I just wish more time was given to the supporting cast. Most only have ONE scene to get anything in. While Gene Hackman gets in a few great scenes, Dreyfuss, Reiner, Oliver Platt, Benning and even Quaid just don't register as very good characters.

And I would have liked to see more of the struggles with getting off drugs, and that whole transformation. Or better yet, if her career was able to recover. I mean she goes back to work, but we never know how successful that work became.

But the acting was fantastic from the ladies, and Streep looked smokin' in the police uniform no?
July 9, 2013
Postcards from the Edge is a rather fun comedy. With the excellent Meryl Streep and Shirley MacLaine, it is definitely a feel-good type of comedy. There is nothing overtly special about this film - it is a rather simple success--utter failure--pick yourself up--and success again, type of story. However, the acting, especially by the two female leads (Streep and MacLaine), is just great, and they definitely are believable as celebrity mother and daughter. The storyline, as mentioned, is rather simple, but is underpinned by a deeper story of a cycle of vice that a family can go through and how it can lead to the deterioration of relations within the family, and possibly even lead to fatalities. Overall, this is a rather good film and definitely worth watching, but do not expect to be blown out of your shoes.