67% Hercules Jul 25

85% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
76% You're the Worst: Season 1

Premium Rush Reviews

July 20, 2014
Brilliant, fun, piece of action. It's like Fast and Furious, only more ozone-friendly :)
January 16, 2013
simple pero efectiva y hace ver cool ser mensajero en bicicleta, hasta me dieron ganas de intentarlo pero me acorde que mi ciudad tiene muchas pendientes y es medianamente muy calurosa, asi que ala mierda.
July 16, 2014
A dopey two-wheeled cat and mouse thriller.
September 3, 2012
This is essentially a typical action/chase movie. Yet, I enjoyed it. It's quickly paced, the acting is good, and the bike chase scenes are really fun to watch. Yeah, it's a little thin on the plot side and character development of things, but for once, I didn't mind too much. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is mostly to thank for that. He keeps you interested in a character that's not written really deeply. Michael Shannon is always so interesting to watch. I also liked Jamie Chung as Gordon-Levitt's client. So, even if you're not a huge action fan, give this one a shot.
August 31, 2012
The movie is just a bike-load of fun! Gordon-Levitt gives a charasmatic lead performance, and Michael Shannon does what he does best playing the unstable villain. Add to this a few funny side-characters that provide fun B-stories and a surprisingly believable source of all the conflict and you got yourself a fun 90 minutes at the movies.
July 9, 2014
A 90 minute high speed athletic story that is part thrilling, part emotional. Joseph Gordon-Levitt delivers a packed performance and Michael Shannon is impeccable as in all his movies. The high speed bicycle sequences make you want to be in one of those no-brake suicidal machines weaving through traffic like a psychotic screwball!!

In the end all the madness conciliates down to a happy ending. Good entertainment all around.
July 4, 2014
Cliched and cheesy in a small portion, but Premium Rush offers stylish stunt cinematography, adrenaline-packed action, a likeable main character and nice acting that impulses itself as a very solid time killer.
June 17, 2013
"Although it's not your usual summer blockbuster, Joseph Gordon-Levitt's stunning, action packed ride across New York is one you may not see again!"
June 15, 2014
Forgettable and despite strong leads in Gordon-Levitt and Shannon, it wasn't enough to save this movie from being formulaic and cliche. Great idea - not as great execution.
July 16, 2012
Shannon alone piggy backs this shit sandwich and gets it to a 3 star. A rare miss from jgl.
Albert M.
June 24, 2014
An entertaining flick glued together by a good performance from Joseph Gordon-Levitt and nice artistic direction.
Matt H.
June 23, 2014
Premium Rush is a formulaic movie done well: It has a blend of intrigue, wit, and action-packed stunts to go along with it. Although the whole movie is completely mindless, it isn't the typical implausible blockbuster like The Fast and the Furious or Transformers; it has just enough intelligence to pass for something worthwhile.
Jason T.
June 21, 2014
A totally acceptable action, suspense film with no frills and a streamlined plot that keeps things clicking along. A bike messenger has to elude a crooked police detective, played by Michael Shannon, who desires the mysterious envelope he carries for his own illegal gain.
A number of scenes in this movie will have you scratching your head. How did they film this without the stuntmen getting impaled by a fender? These bikes weave in and out of traffic like a deer dodging trees in the woods, and it is very entertaining to watch. According to my eyes, there seemed to be a limited amount of CGI assistance as well. The bike action is definitely the highlight of the film. An acrobatic chase through an impound lot being the best.
It would have been nice to get to know the actual riders a little beyond, "Dude, I'm so hardcore," but JGL still come across as something close to likable because he is such a great actor. Speaking of great actors, Michael Shannon does a bit of slumming here, he must have wanted an opportunity to ham it up a bit, forgoing the usual slow burn characters he plays in movies like "Take Shelter."
The plot is a bit hard to follow partially because of the unnecessary time-shifting the film does during the first half. One transition occurred and I didn't realize it until a few minutes in. Everything revolves around a young immigrant who is trying to bring her son over from China. She trades a large amount of money over for a "ticket" to bring her son over. Somehow, if Shannon gets ahold of this ticket he can then access her money to pay off gambling debts. Why he thinks he would be able to actually do this is never explained. In the end, a somewhat far-fetched band of bikers help save JGL so he can make the delivery. Score: 7
June 14, 2012
I'm an avid cyclist and still didn't find this movie too appealing... I honestly don't understand why such the great reviews - in all honestly it felt like a 'B-grade' movie. Wasn't bad though.
Alex Soto
March 6, 2014
Premium Rush. What can i say, with High-Octane car chases, strong acting and a great plot, this film sits at ease on my shoulders as it delivers what it should deliver. The film stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Wilee, a young bike messenger who gets more than he bargained for, Michael Shannon stars as Bobby Monday, the Corrupt cop looking to snatch the Golden ticket from Wilee (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), Sean Kennedy stars as Marco, The current boyfriend of Vanessa, (who is Wilee's former flame which is why they have a LOT of competition), and Dania Ramirez stars as Wilee's former flame Vanessa. With a budget of $35million, the Director/Screenwriter, David koepp makes the most of the money as he produces yet another new link to his chains of great movies such as Spider-Man (2002) as a Screenwriter and Jurassic Park (1993) also as a Screenwriter.

The film goes through many events, not in chronological order. These are the chronological events.

Wilee (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) is a young bicycle messenger who hates the normal life, he finds meaning being employed as a bicycle messenger despite arguments
with his girlfriend and co-worker Vanessa insisting that he should make something out of himself.

In another event, Vanessa's roommate Nima sends $50,000 that she actually saved to Mr leung, a chinese hawaladar (An informal way of transferring money) in exchange for a ticket so that she can give to a Sister Chen, who will in turn reserve a place for Nima's son who is still in China who will be shipped by a gang to New York if the ticket is delivered on time.

Mr Lin is a local loan shark who has learned about the ticket and that if someone returns it then they can collect Nima's money. He reaches out to Bobby Monday (Micheal Shannon) a corrupt cop, an addicted gambler who owns Lin money, offering that if Monday gets the ticket then Lin will clear Monday's debt. Monday now starts searching for Nima.

The film is good with enough intense scenes and cool chases which helps innovate the plot and keeps the film from being less Boring.

This film is good to watch and i do think you should watch it. It is veryyyyy GOOD!
June 11, 2014
a past paced well crafted modern actioner.
May 25, 2014
It's a race, with a bit of action, thrill and comedy. Oh, and it's a job, too. It was a fun ride, literally.
May 27, 2014
It was a very cool and original concept with some psych action scenes.. until I stop gazing and start thinking about it. The script was floppy and it lacks serious characters development. JGL is the only good thing in this movie.
May 19, 2014
I've always thought that bicycle messengers had to be a little crazy...well, at least the ones who work in major metropolitan areas. I see them all the time in downtown Chicago on my way to work...zipping through the streets, clambering up on the sidewalks, darting in and out of traffic...I can't even imagine doing something like that on a daily basis. In fact, I often ask myself why anybody would choose to have such a seemingly insane occupation?

In David Koepp's "Premium Rush," a very well-executed thrill-ride, the protagnist Wilee (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) makes it very clear why he's employed as a New York city bike messenger: he loves to ride, and he can't fathom the idea of having to go work in an office every day, wearing a business suit. This seems reasonable enough, but there's also little doubt that Wilee is also addicted to the rush; he loves the sense of adventure that comes with the job, especially since the chances of getting seriously hurt, or worse, are extremely high. He doesn't even use brakes or gears on his bike.

However, he's also incredibly skilled at his job. In an interesting and rather humorous visual touch, whenever Wilee comes to an especially busy intersection, time seems to slow down. We see in his mind as he maps out the different potential paths he can take...as well as their probable outcomes (like getting slammed by an oncoming taxi, or knocking over a woman approaching with a baby carriage). He's become so good at his job that he can basically read the streets, accurately predicting the route that vehicles and pedestrians are going to take. He quickly calculates the safest possible route for himself and whisks through.

It's a good thing Wilee is so adept at his profession, because one day he finds himself in possession of an extremely important package, one that needs to be delivered by a certain time or the consequences would be severe. This is probably true of many of Wilee's daily deliveries, but what makes this one different is that a gambling-addicted cop (Michael Shannon) desperately needs this package. He's gotten into hot water with some gangsters, and the package is his ticket out.

It's amazing how formulaic the movie is, and yet also how successful. I've commented before that formula movies can work, sometimes quite well, but even considering this, I was surprised at how engaged I was in this movie. It's basically a chase flick, a game of cat-and-mouse, as the cop pursues the bike messenger all over the city, using whatever means necessary to try and corner his prey. There's nothing particularly new here, but the action is fast-paced, and I liked seeing the ways the two adversaries had to constantly come up with different tactics to thwart the other.

The contents of the package are essentially unimportant; yes, we do find out what is in there and what the stakes are, but even if we didn't, it wouldn't matter. All you need to know is it's the object of everybody's desire. It drives the plot, moves things forward. In short, it's a Macguffin, and one of the finest examples of one I've seen in recent years.

Yes, there is a lot of formula here, but sometimes style can really make a difference. Koepp is a capable director (previous credits include "Secret Window" and "Stir of Echoes"), and I really felt like I was riding alongside Wiley, careening through New York traffic. I already mentioned the slowing-down-time/visualizing-potential-outcomes trick above, but there's also the escape from the impound lot, which is just plain, goofy fun. Simply put, these sequences are expertly done.

I enjoyed the performances as well. Gordon-Levitt infuses Wilee with his natural charms, making the character somewhat brash yet still likeable. As his nemesis, Shannon proves again, as he did with last summer's "Man of Steel," that he makes a superb villain. What makes this guy so formidable is not that he's necessarily an evil man (though he's certainly not a good one) so much as a desperate one, and that makes him especially dangerous. Desperation can make even the most laid-back person do some terrible things; when you're dealing with a man who was already on edge prior to him reaching his point of desperation, the aftermath can get ugly. Shannon perfectly captures this.

The movie is quick (only 90 minutes) and it moves at a breakneck pace, which is to its advantage; not only does it make the proceedings more exciting, but it also then doesn't really give the audience time to dwell on some of the implausibilities of the plot. Even so, I will comment that I found the ending to be rather lackluster. The resolution to the package dilemma teeters dangerously close to deus ex machina territory (especially with the miraculous appearance of a barely-seen character), and I found myself wondering why Wilee didn't try to do something like this earlier.

Even so, "Premium Rush" lives up to its name. This is a well-executed actioner that will often-times leave you on the edge of your seat. I still think bicycle messengers have to be a little crazy to do what they do, but I can definitely see how there'd be a thrill to it as well (though I doubt that many real-life messengers have to deal with situations like this...although you never know...).
October 13, 2013
Awesome movie nonstop action Joseph Gordon-Levitt did it again!!!