Critic Review - BrandonFibbs.com

In a movie about people who make their livings on misdirection, The Prestige utterly forgets to employ its own.

February 28, 2008 Full Review Source: BrandonFibbs.com | Comments (19)
BrandonFibbs.com

Comments

clifdickens

Clif Dickens

I do believe that the point of the movie was to misdirect the viewer, thus making the film a misdirection...

Do you follow?

Aug 3 - 01:59 AM

TheAngryAsian

Nick Schiller

I follow

Jan 23 - 08:31 AM

CrazyDood

hey man

in addition to what dickens said, the movie is about the PEOPLE not magic. Therefore it's not obligated to cater for magic as presumed

Oct 10 - 09:16 AM

Shea W.

Shea Weekley

If you ever happen to make a better film be sure to let us know.

Jun 4 - 10:53 PM

Jonathan K.

Jonathan Kegley

His job isn't making movies dumb-***

Jan 9 - 03:14 PM

Vivek Thakur

Vivek Thakur

Yes, his job is making dumb statements.

May 21 - 10:58 PM

William J.

William Johnsten

idiot

Jul 7 - 02:26 PM

October Mermaid

Brandon Parker

I'm not going to be an apologist for the movie, but I had thought that the banality of the reveal was sort of the point: that so much had been lost and worried over to discover the secret and it was something so pedestrian and, yes, obvious.

On the other hand, the "trick" that the other magician employs, I think, breaks the rule of ceasing to be interesting once you know the truth. In fact, knowing the truth of it makes it much more interesting and deeply disturbing. It had me thinking about it for some time afterward. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

Oct 10 - 09:48 PM

boris s.

boris shusterman

Clumsy and flat movie. The illusionist was way way better. I agree, this movie is just not good at all. Solid acting performances, but so predictable and uninteresting!!

Jan 7 - 01:26 AM

Kazam M.

Kazam Man

predictable?You knew that there was 2 christian bales?

Jun 22 - 09:39 AM

Peter W.

Peter Winters

Fuck spoiler. You just diarrheaed the whole movie.

Aug 15 - 09:33 PM

james m.

james mcfadden

this movie was predictable? not even close. the illusionist was probably the most predictable movie I've ever seen. Perhaps you have the 2 confused?

Mar 15 - 07:26 AM

David Broome

David Broome

Exactly. The people who did not rate this movie have totally missed the point and as for those saying it was obvious - yeah sure, some people certainly know how to trick themselves.
I actually thought it would have a happy ending and he would some how have a last minute change of mind and use the Teslar machine to transport and save the other guy from the gallows.
Also as someone who has read a great deal about Teslar's work I found the way this movie utilized some of the mystique surrounding and incorporated it into the story brilliant - especially the shocking reveal of him committing to 100 murders to perform the act.
The script and plot were superb and even the twist in the love affair with his wife hanging herself believing it was he and not his double was nice icing.
The acting, also absolutely top notch and hey, it even had one of my heroes Bowie, who sung Heroes, playing the part of my hero.
A vastly under-rated movie which gets a bravo and standing ovation from me.

Dec 17 - 05:05 PM

Logan Ligot

Logan Ligot

Damn David had a better review than most of the critics that do this for a living.

Jan 5 - 07:07 PM

Jessecat Bagherpurr

Jessecat Bagherpurr

If ... if you've studied Tesla so much, why did you repeatedly spell his name "Teslar"?

Jul 5 - 11:42 PM

Vivek Thakur

Vivek Thakur

Boris, if you find this movie predictable may be you knew your name before you were born. If that's so how come we hear about Da Vinci and not about you?

May 21 - 11:00 PM

TheAngryAsian

Nick Schiller

There are many things that make up a great movie: You have to have great acting, story, dialogue, visuals, light, art direction, set pieces, cinematography, costume design, grit, and direction. "The Prestige" succeeds with all that. But, many stupid critics complaint is that it follows up on the magic, but not the characters. My question is: So?

Jan 23 - 08:33 AM

Junifer Turtur

Junifer Turtur

And he rated Fast Five as better than this film, think about it.

Apr 16 - 09:10 PM

Scotty Smith

Scotty Smith

It was intended to misdirect you.

Jul 10 - 02:53 AM