Pride and Glory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pride and Glory Reviews

½ September 2, 2007
Stinks of desperation, and a particular kind: wishing it were one of the many better movies in this genre. This film is effectively a knock-off of everything from In the Heat of the Night to Training Day, or The Departed, or even We Own the Night: good brother/bad brother, good cop/bad cop, whole families on the force. The other place this film steals from is Dennis Lehane: it felt like a poor cousin of Clint Eastwood's Mystic River or even Ben Affleck's Gone Baby Gone. Edward Norton has long been one of my favourite actors, but since the turn of the century, he's chosen increasingly worse projects. A shame, because he's pretty good in this, and so is Colin Farrell, though he's a bit too Irish-sounding in some scenes. The movie could easily have been a half hour shorter: there are too many balls in the air to juggle (a sister dying of cancer is a good motivator, but I don't think we need to see so much of her story), and the writing is brutal, watery exposition, laying bare every character's every motivation and draining most of the tension out of what should have been a gritty, realistic film. I've seen first-hand that Washington Heights can be a scary place, and the way it looks on-screen is to the film's credit. Unfortunately, the rest of the work falls flat, until Sage Francis's song over the opening credits, which actually hammers home a metaphor from earlier about a leaky boat. Too bad that most people won't hear this song, having turned the movie off midway. I kind of wish that I had.
½ July 27, 2008
There's good, gritty filmmaking on display here and there are moments reminiscent of some of the genre's greats, but "Pride and Glory" gets completely bogged down by a muddy screenplay that kicks off to a great start, but soon becomes more and more confused, tedious, and in the end... generic. The performances and direction hint at a better movie, but in the end that just makes this deeply flawed effort all the more disappointing.
½ February 1, 2010
A good cop drama about a family in the force, thrown into an awkward position when a case exposes some dirty cops from their precinct. A very enjoyable film, with a well assembled cast. Might be a little confusing at the start as to who is bad and who isn't though. It doesn't have a great deal of action but it's still a good story well told.
January 1, 2010
Gripping, intense film regarding a family of police officers(father, two sons, and son in law) who deal with corruption in their precinct in Washington Heights, NYC. Edward Norton turns in yet another brilliant performance in this somewhat dark film about the dubious brother in law's involvement in an incendiary case, and what is actually going on in the precinct which is primarily held together by this family whose moral codes are tested to the utmost. Do their loyalties belong to the department, or to each other?
November 17, 2009
This is what gives me faith in movies. Every actor in this was at the top of their game and the writing was so well done that even though you knew the twist, it was only the beginning. Edward Norton proves for the second time this year that he is one of the greatest actors of his generation. He had so much history to his character and was able to display all of that without even saying a word. Colin Farrell was probably one of the most evil characters on screen(I don't wanna spoil it for you) and pulled it off magnificently. He made Matt Damon in The Departed look like Jimmy Stewart in It's a wonderful life. And John Voight, you've still got it.
jjnxn
August 27, 2009
Hackneyed police drama with a cast that is far better than the material.
½ October 19, 2009
An overall missable cop story that is pretty much a little better version of "Street Kings", just with better acting and a less preposterous story. It's your standard dirty cop movie, with a memorable scene here and there (watch out for Colin Farrell and a baby), and it does run the risk of character overpopulation, but correctly avoids journeying down that road. Norton, Farrell, Voight, and Emmerich are all fantastic, they do what they can with a recycled story, sadly its to no avail. The ending does go overboard, and there are some things in this movie you can predict with ease, so overall, you're probably better off watching something like "We Own the Night", if you're looking for a good cop thriller.
Chiefilms
September 21, 2009
Dark NY Cop drama about what??? Police corruption, intertwined with a family of cops. Good cast and performances but the ending was weak. Nothing too spectacular here because there are so many movies about corruption in law enforcement.
deano
½ August 7, 2007
A cross between The Departed, We Own the Night and Aussie TV's Underbelly, this is a gripping police thriller that pits a family of coppers against one another.
The performances here are very solid. Jon Voight as the family patriarch, and a veteran law-enforcer who's very pro-cop, is especially strong. Even at 70, Voight remains one of the most interesting performers on the silver screen.
Writer and director Gavin O'Connor is the son of a real-life cop, and he brings what he's heard about the job to his film. This is a very sturdy and real interpretation of police life.
½ September 30, 2007
A powerful and unforgettable movie. A very strong piece of film. A masterpice. A unique, gritty and great story of family and police corruption. It's The Godfather of cop films. Thrilling, compelling and breathtaking. An exciting and pulse-pounding thriller. It's gripping, intense, nail-biting and shocking with great twist and turns. A great script by Joe Caranahan and solidly directed by Director, Gavin O'Connor. Edward Norton is magnificent, one of his best performances of his career. Joining his classic roles in American History X, Fight Club, The Painted Veil and The Illusionist. Colin Farrell is excellent, giving a complex and enduring performance that will stand as one of his best. Jon Voight is brilliant. Noah Emmerich is teriffic. A hard-hitting and hard-edged drama. It grabs you and refuses to ever let go. A total powerhouse of a film. It's explosive and exhilerating. More powerful than Training Day and more gripping than We Own The Night.
bbcfloridabound
February 24, 2009
I usually enjoy Cop Movies, But this one just reminded me just how many bad cops are out there today, answer Dam Near All Of Them, I mean when?s the last time you see a cop car doing the posted speed limit, even with his lights off, most of them are crooks or dirty. As far as the movie, has some good action, but I am glad I didn't see it on the big screen. 2 stars and be done
December 28, 2007
"If my guys were doing something, I would know about it, trust me."

Had really high expectations for "Pride and Glory". It has two of my favourite actors, Ed Norton and Colin Farrell, as NY city cops. But somehow, the filmmakers managed to do only a mediocre cop movie.

Movies about corrupted police officers are not that rare. In fact, when you go to the cinema, every now and then you see a trailer to a similar movie like this one. What new can be told about these "legendary" corrupted cops? Not much.

"Pride and Glory's" biggest disappointment is its uneven script. It's full of clichés and predictable. But what saves it, is the acting. The acting is solid with some good performances, especially the supporting actors like Jennifer Ehle and Lake Bell.

So, is "Pride and Glory" worth a look? In my opinion, go for it. The film has good performances and if you can handle the fact, that its predictable and doesn't bring anything new to the genre, you might even enjoy it.
January 28, 2009
Crooked cop dramas are about as tired as mob/mafia movies, so I went into this reluctantly interested only in the cast. And while the story did just cover the same old territory, the performances really carried the film - Colin Farrell especially, including one scene which is about as shocking as any I've ever seen (resulting in an oddly satisfying ending).
kpn666
October 25, 2008
A great cop drama which nearly explodes from the tension, the heartache and the brutality of which it revolves around... Norton vs. Farrell is a genuine reciepe for greatness, and they were excellent, especially Farrell, coming off the superb In Bruges to dark, riveting and brutal character which he convincingly pulls off with ease.

What we have here is a test of loyalty, values, love and moral code within a family torn between the NYPD and their own personal lives. Norton and Emmerich play Ray and Franc, the pride of the family, Franc, running his own precinct and his family while his wife combats cancer, a model son and cop. Ray is the troubled yet praised hero of the family, a cop who sacrificed his entire life for the job to the pride of his father, Jon Voight. Then there is Jimmy, brother in law, a Sergeant with ambitions and an dark desire to become more, but his methods and designs will soon bring his family and the NYPD to its knees as the city of New York explodes in retaliation to police corruption.

All three brothers are tested in their own right, though it is Ray who is nearly sacrificed for the family as his investigations into the murder of four dead cops uncover the truth about Jimmy's corruption.

Dark, gritty, very violent and brutal, the movie takes you deep into the wild side of NY, and the lines between law and order are blurred indefintly, though at the end we see reflected, the beginning again, a fresh start for the NYPD to rebuild and renew the community's confidence in the force. Lies and loyalty, blood and power clash as the two extremes come together to which only one will remain standing.... though I guess I didn't quite expect the ending to happen the way it did, but as they say, justice is served.

The cast is superb, its worth watching just for Farrell, Norton and Voight, they look at home on the screen as make it believable.

Two thumbs up for this one!!!
January 11, 2009
A cop drama that focuses more on a family of cops than it does the entire precinct or the criminals they chase. The film manages to avoid the "seen it all before" shouts due to some amazing performances. Despite this, no actor hogs up all the screen time. Everything is equal which is such a huge plus when you have Emmerich, Norton and Farrell. Farrell is of special note, acting like never before and putting the audience through one of the hardest and most intense scenes of all time. The build up is slow and the ending is overblown but in its dramatic context it works. Very real and very impressive.
December 14, 2008
I'll review proper proper a little later....right now i'll just say i enjoyed the irony of Colin Farrell's character drinking in 'Irish Eyes'
thmtsang
June 15, 2008
Great cast. Gritty police action movie about rogue policemen who rob and initimate criminals to line their own pockets. The greed of one brother tears his family apart who have a long history in the police force. This is violent and brutal especially the iron and the bath tub execution scenes. Be warned.
October 22, 2008
Pride and Glory is a very good police thriller with a very interesting story and a very wel developed plot about A gritty and emotional portrait of the New York City Police Department, the film follows a multi-generational police family whose moral code is tested when one of two sons on the force investigates an incendiary case involving his older brother and brother-in-law. The case forces the family to choose between their loyalties to one another and their loyalties to the department. Its the typical bad cop good cop moviewith the typical problems about right or wrong, good and evil but related to a very common issue like corruption that is happening all around the world nowadays. The movie is full of drama and action, it has a very good rhythm so it never turns tiresome for the viewer. The movie has a very good cast, Edward Norton in the role of Ray Tierney gives us a very decent performance. Colin Farrel as Jimmy Egan, shows us that he actually knows how to act, Jon Voight very convincing as always and Noah Emmerich also with a good acting job as Edward Norton's character brother Francis. In conclusion, this movie is a very good example of how bad the corruption is nowadays in the world. Its a very good movie overall but also very violent, so if you are very sensitive with this type of movies, you should really consider it twice before going to see it.
MANUGINO
½ November 16, 2008
Pretty good movie but I was kinda hoping for more though, thus great acting by Edward Norton. A gritty and emotional portrait of the New York City Police Department, the film follows a multi-generational police family whose moral code is tested when one of two sons on the force investigates an incendiary case involving his older brother and brother-in-law. The case forces the family to choose between their loyalties to one another and their loyalties to the department.
November 15, 2008
At first, the camera work is a bit strange but you learn to adapt to it. And then, when the plot unfurls...you're literally on the edge of your seat.

Review TBC.