Pride and Prejudice (Mini-Series) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pride and Prejudice (Mini-Series) Reviews

½ March 22, 2010
Wonderful movie, a PERFECT translation from book to film. I absolutely love how accurate and true to the book everything is. Captures the charm of the novel, with wonderful performances all around. Spectacular especially considering it is made-for-television, this BBC Masterpiece is a classic. One of the best Jane Austen movies, alongside Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility, and the 2005 adaptation of Pride and Prejudice.
½ April 25, 2010
Pride & Prejudice BBC Review
7 Part Mini-Series on 2 Discs

This complete remastered edition will be released Tuesday, April 24th.

"Pride and Prejudice" was a 1995 Emmy Award-Winning BBC mini-series that runs about six hours long. Wonderfully done, but I do not recommend watching it all in one sitting as I had to do! This Jane Austen story examines the prejudices between classes in the 19th century and the pride that keeps lovers apart. It is an epic journey of romance, very gradual, no love at first sight here but a lot more realistic perspective on how affection develops and true love forms set in a time of manners and period dress and culture.

Fifteen years later, this adaptation of the Jane Austen novel still holds up very well. Set in the first decade of the 19th century, it has an authentic look and feel in set, costumes, and manners. More impressively, the characters are able to take these complicated, beautifully written but difficult to say lines and present them with a bit of a modern tone for today's audiences to understand them.

The remastered picture and sound greatly improves the presentation of this miniseries. I only caught one or two scenes that had difficulties because of lighting or being inside a carriage that couldn't switch over as well, but if you are a fan of this series or of Jane Austen stories at all, you need to have this set. It explores so thoroughly the story and captures many exact lines from the book without leaving anything out.

There is no doubt how much Colin Firth's portrayal of Mr. Darcy made a huge impact on his career, even to the point of reprising the role somewhat as Mark Darcy in "Bridget Jone's Diary" based off "Pride & Prejudice." Tall, dark, handsome, mysterious, and decidedly grumpy, Firth's Mr. Darcy hits all the marks for a gradual character change. First he plays Elizabeth's perception of him for about the first half and then when her view of him changes, suddenly he is a little more open and forthcoming with goodwill.

Elizabeth Bennett is the most energetic and stubborn of her family and vows only to marry for love and not for money or status. Having five sisters puts their family at a disadvantage and all of her mother's attention is devoted to trying to marry them off. It is a classic story that most people are familiar with and can still emphasize with and relate to because of wonderful adaptations from the book like this one. Jennifer Ehle's performance is wonderfully proper and fiesty when she needs to be showing all the restraint and passion simultaneously that she can muster.

I do enjoy the more recent version of "Pride & Prejudice" with Kiera Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen made 10 years after the BBC version because it speeds up some events and cuts it down to a more manageable running time of 127 minutes easier to do in one sitting compared to this version's 300 minutes. However what the 1995 version excels at is details and is more accurate to the book which die hard fans will love and find important. After all, I much prefer the "Lord of the Rings" extended editions of those movies because I love the story so much and adding in all those extras makes the time fly for me.

My end conclusion is that this version of the story is divine for the fans out there and you should definitely pick this up for how reasonable the price is. I also recommend checking out the 2005 film of this story and 1995's "Sense and Sensibility" that came out soon after "Pride and Prejudice" that year.

DVD Extras:

"Lasting Impressions" - This feature with a running time of a full hour talks about the impact of the 1995 adaptation of "Pride & Prejudice" which took a modern pace and contemporary delivery to appeal to today's audience. The people interviewed for this documentary were producer Sue Birtwistle, Benjamin Whitrow who played Mr. Bennett, Alison Steadman who played Mrs. Bennett, Crispin Bonham-Carter who played Mr. Bingley, Adrian Lukis who played Wickham, and Lucy Briers who played Mary Bennett. Alison Steadman and Lucy Briers are both much more attractive women in real life! The filming of the 22 week shoot is discussed such as the order of events and how certain actors were cast. For example, the proposal scene between Darcy and Elizabeth took place VERY early and would make or break the entire story. Bingley had to learn how to ride horse and Mary barely knew how to play piano and both had to practice quite a bit. Many of the actors talk about their first scene of filming and usually it was a pretty emotional scene that they were thrown into. The actors talk about the lack of makeup people wore in those times and how Mary was just set up with some greasy hair and a bit of powder thrown across her face while her sisters were all being beautified around her. A great challenge separating the classes like the Bennett House which looks grand on its own had to pale in comparison to all the other houses in appearance. There had to be substantial differences in class in costume material and meals like giant slabs of meat. This feature is a great exploration into the making of the film and getting to hear from the supporting actors about the process, the only thing missing is Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle.

An impromptu walkabout with Adrian Lukis (Wickham) and Lucy Briers (Mary) is the two actors walking about the Bennett home ten years later talking about their experience. It is mostly the two of them just chatting it up on what it would have been like if their two characters had gotten together and Colin Firth supposedly calls Lukis on the phone for a few minutes. There is also a feature on the technical restoration process and what a complicated detail-driven lengthy process it is. It includes a few of those voila! moments of before and after like you see in Blu-Ray commercials to show the difference in quality.

Pride & Prejudice: A Turning Point for Period Drama - Andrew Davies, the screenwriter focused on the men to get them into the story since it mostly dwells with the women. Some extra opinions that chime in agree that Colin Firth just IS Mr. Darcy in a lot of ways for a lot of people. They also praise Jennifer Ehle as a "proper actress" and the benefits of her performance. This feature talks more about how the script was adapted and how the costumes were created and designs. This is another lengthy feature clocking in at 31 minutes.
April 14, 2010
This mini-series i think was badly directed. I loved the performance of Colin firth as Mr.Darcy and Jennifer's performance was agreeable but a great deal to plain and lacking in deep emotion. I thought the series was too long and tedious and there where strange pauses and prolonged and unnecessary scenes. The mother, Mr.Collins, lady catherine, Lydia, marry, and kitty where horribly portrayed and annoyed me constantly throughout the entire series.
November 21, 2009
It took me 3 times to actually fully watch this movie. When I did I was blown away at how amazing it was. I love the voiceovers in the movie that added to it. I love the 2005 version,but this will always have a special place. Firth and the girl were wonderful as Mr.Darcy and Elizabeth.
July 16, 2009
Stunning movie, very fitting to the novel. Wonderful casting and performances; Collin Firth is to die for.
½ October 22, 2008
[b][u]Favorite Jane Austen Films:[/u][/b]
[b][/b]
Emma (1996)
Pride and Prejudice(1995) TV Mini-series
Pride and Prejudice (2005)
Sense and Sensibility (2008) TV Mini-series
Mansfield Park (2007)
Miss Austen Regrets (2008)
Sense and Sensibility (1995)
Persuasion (1995)
May 13, 2008
I've never seen a movie do such justice to a book. Yes it is very long, but it is absolutlely perfect.
March 11, 2008
[font=Book Antiqua]One of the best movies I've ever seen! I thoroughly enjoyed this version. It's more detailed then any other adaptation and while the length is a bit long, I believe the movie goes by so fast you don't really notice the length. As for acting, I thought everyone was very well-portrayed with the most memorable performances being given by Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy and Alison Steadman as Mrs. Bennet. [/font][font=Book Antiqua]Bravo to BBC and A&E![/font]
April 16, 2007
The best (and longest) adaptation of an Austen novel. If you are only going to see one version of [i]Pride and Prejudice[/i], see this one.
January 1, 2006
And auld acquaintance be forgot. I'm definitely not in a mood to write much, but I will say that King Kong (and Adrien Brody) was stunning if a tad too long, part of my soul died when a certain someone bit the dust in Serenity, and I can now definitively say that I MUCH prefer the new P&P to the esteemed Colin Firth edition. I don't understand all the Darcy elitists who seem to think he's the only one who can ever play the part...he isn't the first and he damn sure won't be the last. And I happen to think Matt McFadyen did a much better job. *grumbles off to bed*
½ November 15, 2005
[color=lemonchiffon]In preparation for the new adaptation of [i]Pride and Prejudice[/i], I rented the legendary five-hour BBC version starring Jennifer Ehle as Elizabeth Bennet and the absoultely wonderful Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. It is transcendent to say the very least.[/color]

[color=#fffacd]Jennifer Ehle is luminous as Lizzie, encompassing all the wit and pride that comes with the role. She is the penultimate heroine. Lizzie is the smart everygirl...or at least the girl that every girl thinks that she herself is. She is right up there with Jo March from [i]Little Women[/i] as the top ranking literary female fiction role models before modern times. [/color]

[color=#fffacd]And then there is Darcy. Every girl should have a Darcy. I want one. They should bottle him and put him on the market for the Holidays. He starts out so snobbish, but then puts his prejudice aside. You never know whether to love him or hate him (ultimately love and deeply adore him)--in any rendition of the tale. [/color]

[color=#fffacd]The great thing about Jennifer Ehle and Colin Firth is that the acting is the most powerful when there are no words at all. I adore the scenes with the long looks, the unspoken feelings and tension. Pure brilliance. [/color]

[color=#fffacd]I am going to have to buy the BBC version. I can see myself now--curled in bed watching[i] Pride and Prejudice[/i] on sunday afternoons. I would watch it straight through every time. [/color]

[color=#fffacd]I am such a girl.[/color]

[color=#fffacd]Here's hoping that the new one is good, too.[/color]

[color=#fffacd]Love ya.[/color]
[color=#fffacd]Court[/color]
September 2, 2005
Yes, I know, this series isn't exactly in keeping with my journal look or penchant for horror films, but I have to say that it is probably the best mini-series I have ever seen.

[u]Pride and Prejudice[/u] is one of my favorite books of all time and seeing it so wonderfully adapted made my day. I spent mose of the day watching it and if I hadn't had other things to do I probably would have seen it again.

Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle are now firmly in my mind when I think of Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy. Not to say I didn't love the Garson/Olivier adaptation, but it isn't as detailed and rich as this wonderful mini-series.

I will try and make up for my lapse in bad taste with a really bad film tomorrow.
August 8, 2005
I've actually had this 6-tape set for 5 years without ever even unwrapping the plastic. I don't know if it's my fear of commitment to anything longer than [i]The Best Years of Our Lives[/i], the fact that I acquired the set through a job that I hated, or that [i]Pride and Prejudice[/i] was highly recommended by Poor Little Rich Girl that kept me from watching it until now but, well, that's what happened.

I've been hearing how good this mini-series is for so long that there was pretty much no way that it could have lived up to its reputation. (Not my expectations, mind you; I make a point to try and not buy into hype of any kind. I know. I'm [i]so[/i] high-minded.) Except that it did. It was amazing, easily the best film adaptation of Austen I've ever seen. So good that I'm breaking my (relatively new) rule of never giving anything a 10 the first time out. Exquisitely directed. Beautifully acted. The cast is ideal, with Jennifer Ehle's Elizabeth nothing short of perfection.

TANGENT: I had the good fortune to see her in her Tony-winning role in the 2000 revival of Tom Stoppard's [i]The Real Thing[/i]. She's a marevlous actress and that production remains one of the most influential theatre experiences of my life.
June 26, 2005
Although this movie was 5 hours long and I watched it all in one sitting I have to say that it was very good. The chacaters of Mrs. Bennet, Mary Bennet and Colonial Lucas were hilarous! I love the story but I only made it through a quarter of the book. Now that I know that things DO get exciting I am defenitly going to finish it. I love the fact that Lizzie did not like Mr. Darcy at all but she grows to love him. I fell in love with Darcy at first sighting but i guess that Elizabeth was not so lucky. Colin Firth shines as the broody yet kind (as it turns out in the end) Mr. Darcy who is madly in love with Elizbeth who will have nothing to do with him. I have always liked Colin but after this movie he made it on my hottest actors list. Jennifer Ehle who plays Elizabeth was very pretty but she lacked some of the character that Lizzie brings to the novel. Lizzie is cinical and always at a loss for why her sister Jane can only think the best of people. In the movie Lizzie was all smiles at all times and as polite as can be.
The movie stuck to the novel very well but seeing as only read a bit I know that it was true to the quarter (that ended up being 2 hours of the film) that I read. There were just some things in the movie that really annoyed me. The excessive amounts of orange! It was every where. All the woman were always wearing orange and the curtains were orange and the wallpaper was prange. I have nothing against the color but it was just overkill. Also Mrs. Bennet's voice...it was so screeching and loud that you question how any of her family can live with her but then again that is the point I guess.
Overall though the 5 hours I thourghly enjoyed this film and would watch it again if I had the chance.
May 24, 2005
I thought that this was a very good movie and that colin firth was the most perfect actor possible for this part, his looks he has so many of them and he is a very fine gentleman glad that this series sparked his career
January 28, 2005
I watched the second half of [i]Pride and Prejudice[/i] last night, and I had forgotten all about how Mr. Darcy is from Derbyshire. That's Little Irish country. Anyhow, everybody in the movie was just going on and on about how gorgeous Derbyshire was and how they all just wanted to stay there forever. So, Cat, have a nice visit to Derbyshire and stuff. I might have the money together to visit towards the end of the year. Hopefully Little Irish would like to see me at least once, maybe she will if I promise to buy her a few drinks. That's the way I get most of my friends to hang out with me.

*sigh* Mr. Darcy.

I'm starting yoga class tomorrow. I've done yoga before, but never in a class. Naturally, I bought new clothes for the occassion.