—— As Above/So Below Aug 29

January 27, 2014
absolutely beautiful
Kat B.
March 22, 2010
Wonderful movie, a PERFECT translation from book to film. I absolutely love how accurate and true to the book everything is. Captures the charm of the novel, with wonderful performances all around. Spectacular especially considering it is made-for-television, this BBC Masterpiece is a classic. One of the best Jane Austen movies, alongside Ang Lee's Sense and Sensibility, and the 2005 adaptation of Pride and Prejudice.
January 22, 2011
Very enjoyable six episode series. I read the book and watched this within the same month, and this is a wonderful film interpretation. It is very faithful to the book. Although some I have talked to say this is the "boring" version, I strongly disagree. They prefer the newer Keira Knightley version, but that is only a normal movie length, and so leaves out a huge portion of the novel. Watch this, any fans of the book should enjoy it immensely.
Kelly G.
May 9, 2010
Absolutely amazing. Highly recommended for any romance movie lovers! Don't be intimidated by the length, it's well worth watching every minute. A fantastic execution of Jane Austin's novel, definitely a must see.
HauntedFlowerReviews.com
April 25, 2010
Pride & Prejudice BBC Review
7 Part Mini-Series on 2 Discs

This complete remastered edition will be released Tuesday, April 24th.

"Pride and Prejudice" was a 1995 Emmy Award-Winning BBC mini-series that runs about six hours long. Wonderfully done, but I do not recommend watching it all in one sitting as I had to do! This Jane Austen story examines the prejudices between classes in the 19th century and the pride that keeps lovers apart. It is an epic journey of romance, very gradual, no love at first sight here but a lot more realistic perspective on how affection develops and true love forms set in a time of manners and period dress and culture.

Fifteen years later, this adaptation of the Jane Austen novel still holds up very well. Set in the first decade of the 19th century, it has an authentic look and feel in set, costumes, and manners. More impressively, the characters are able to take these complicated, beautifully written but difficult to say lines and present them with a bit of a modern tone for today's audiences to understand them.

The remastered picture and sound greatly improves the presentation of this miniseries. I only caught one or two scenes that had difficulties because of lighting or being inside a carriage that couldn't switch over as well, but if you are a fan of this series or of Jane Austen stories at all, you need to have this set. It explores so thoroughly the story and captures many exact lines from the book without leaving anything out.

There is no doubt how much Colin Firth's portrayal of Mr. Darcy made a huge impact on his career, even to the point of reprising the role somewhat as Mark Darcy in "Bridget Jone's Diary" based off "Pride & Prejudice." Tall, dark, handsome, mysterious, and decidedly grumpy, Firth's Mr. Darcy hits all the marks for a gradual character change. First he plays Elizabeth's perception of him for about the first half and then when her view of him changes, suddenly he is a little more open and forthcoming with goodwill.

Elizabeth Bennett is the most energetic and stubborn of her family and vows only to marry for love and not for money or status. Having five sisters puts their family at a disadvantage and all of her mother's attention is devoted to trying to marry them off. It is a classic story that most people are familiar with and can still emphasize with and relate to because of wonderful adaptations from the book like this one. Jennifer Ehle's performance is wonderfully proper and fiesty when she needs to be showing all the restraint and passion simultaneously that she can muster.

I do enjoy the more recent version of "Pride & Prejudice" with Kiera Knightley and Matthew Macfadyen made 10 years after the BBC version because it speeds up some events and cuts it down to a more manageable running time of 127 minutes easier to do in one sitting compared to this version's 300 minutes. However what the 1995 version excels at is details and is more accurate to the book which die hard fans will love and find important. After all, I much prefer the "Lord of the Rings" extended editions of those movies because I love the story so much and adding in all those extras makes the time fly for me.

My end conclusion is that this version of the story is divine for the fans out there and you should definitely pick this up for how reasonable the price is. I also recommend checking out the 2005 film of this story and 1995's "Sense and Sensibility" that came out soon after "Pride and Prejudice" that year.

DVD Extras:

"Lasting Impressions" - This feature with a running time of a full hour talks about the impact of the 1995 adaptation of "Pride & Prejudice" which took a modern pace and contemporary delivery to appeal to today's audience. The people interviewed for this documentary were producer Sue Birtwistle, Benjamin Whitrow who played Mr. Bennett, Alison Steadman who played Mrs. Bennett, Crispin Bonham-Carter who played Mr. Bingley, Adrian Lukis who played Wickham, and Lucy Briers who played Mary Bennett. Alison Steadman and Lucy Briers are both much more attractive women in real life! The filming of the 22 week shoot is discussed such as the order of events and how certain actors were cast. For example, the proposal scene between Darcy and Elizabeth took place VERY early and would make or break the entire story. Bingley had to learn how to ride horse and Mary barely knew how to play piano and both had to practice quite a bit. Many of the actors talk about their first scene of filming and usually it was a pretty emotional scene that they were thrown into. The actors talk about the lack of makeup people wore in those times and how Mary was just set up with some greasy hair and a bit of powder thrown across her face while her sisters were all being beautified around her. A great challenge separating the classes like the Bennett House which looks grand on its own had to pale in comparison to all the other houses in appearance. There had to be substantial differences in class in costume material and meals like giant slabs of meat. This feature is a great exploration into the making of the film and getting to hear from the supporting actors about the process, the only thing missing is Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle.

An impromptu walkabout with Adrian Lukis (Wickham) and Lucy Briers (Mary) is the two actors walking about the Bennett home ten years later talking about their experience. It is mostly the two of them just chatting it up on what it would have been like if their two characters had gotten together and Colin Firth supposedly calls Lukis on the phone for a few minutes. There is also a feature on the technical restoration process and what a complicated detail-driven lengthy process it is. It includes a few of those voila! moments of before and after like you see in Blu-Ray commercials to show the difference in quality.

Pride & Prejudice: A Turning Point for Period Drama - Andrew Davies, the screenwriter focused on the men to get them into the story since it mostly dwells with the women. Some extra opinions that chime in agree that Colin Firth just IS Mr. Darcy in a lot of ways for a lot of people. They also praise Jennifer Ehle as a "proper actress" and the benefits of her performance. This feature talks more about how the script was adapted and how the costumes were created and designs. This is another lengthy feature clocking in at 31 minutes.
Melissa L.
April 14, 2010
This mini-series i think was badly directed. I loved the performance of Colin firth as Mr.Darcy and Jennifer's performance was agreeable but a great deal to plain and lacking in deep emotion. I thought the series was too long and tedious and there where strange pauses and prolonged and unnecessary scenes. The mother, Mr.Collins, lady catherine, Lydia, marry, and kitty where horribly portrayed and annoyed me constantly throughout the entire series.
Bonnie B.
November 21, 2009
It took me 3 times to actually fully watch this movie. When I did I was blown away at how amazing it was. I love the voiceovers in the movie that added to it. I love the 2005 version,but this will always have a special place. Firth and the girl were wonderful as Mr.Darcy and Elizabeth.
Marieke J.
October 8, 2009
It's just perfect, there is nothing more to say. I love it!
Chelsea C.
July 16, 2009
Stunning movie, very fitting to the novel. Wonderful casting and performances; Collin Firth is to die for.
Maryann W.
July 4, 2009
Almost flawless. Firth and Ehle are Darcy and Lizzy in my eyes. Their chemistry on screen is top notch.
minden
October 22, 2008
[b][u]Favorite Jane Austen Films:[/u][/b]
[b][/b]
Emma (1996)
Pride and Prejudice(1995) TV Mini-series
Pride and Prejudice (2005)
Sense and Sensibility (2008) TV Mini-series
Mansfield Park (2007)
Miss Austen Regrets (2008)
Sense and Sensibility (1995)
Persuasion (1995)
petesdragon666
August 15, 2008
This is basically one of the best novel to film adaptations that i have ever seen.
jomo999
August 15, 2008
5 hours of superbly acted, heartbreakingly beautiful romance and drama.
The production values and cast are stallar too. Great.
ellomore
July 8, 2008
Highly faithful to the book. Stunning performance by all the actors and actresses. Good use of music, props and scenery. Absolutely wonderful!
ithastobegreat
June 29, 2008
Outstanding! We have watched it repeatedly. I recommend it for your home collection.
fliegs44
May 13, 2008
I've never seen a movie do such justice to a book. Yes it is very long, but it is absolutlely perfect.
sexymisslouise
April 25, 2008
I LOVE THIS! A timeless classic that had me truly captivated. No other Pride and Prejudice could ever live up to the BBC series.
becca85
March 11, 2008
[font=Book Antiqua]One of the best movies I've ever seen! I thoroughly enjoyed this version. It's more detailed then any other adaptation and while the length is a bit long, I believe the movie goes by so fast you don't really notice the length. As for acting, I thought everyone was very well-portrayed with the most memorable performances being given by Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy and Alison Steadman as Mrs. Bennet. [/font][font=Book Antiqua]Bravo to BBC and A&E![/font]
ccc123
February 9, 2008
[color=black]BBC and Simon Langton have undoubtably proved their expertise when it comes to period dramas, presenting this mini-series with such historical verisimilitude that one is transported back to 19th England. Langton also successfully encapsulates the satire inherent in Austen's novel, portraying Lizzy as the satirtical outsider, constantly commenting upon, and in conflict with, teh paradigms of her time. The cast is also to be commended. Jennifer Ehle captures the wit, charm and vivacity of Elizabeth Bennet with ease, while Collin Firth is the perfect choice for the mysterious and proud Fitzwilliam Darcy. Alison Steadman is similarly a judicious choice for the hysterical Mrs. Bennet, while Susanna Harker is believeable as the serene Jane. The plot is also very skilfully devloped, and the sexual tension between Collins and Eyle leaves Knightley and her 'Darcy' for dead.[/color]
doki doki bleat