20% The Identical Sep 05

The Princess Bride Reviews

Page 1 of 1902
John M

March 20, 2007
Simply one of the best movies ive ever seen. it just had everything in a simple fun great way. My 5 year old even loves this movie.
Phil H

March 10, 2014
You can clearly see this is a Rob Reiner film in every sense. The whole production has that silly visual humour that most would associate with Mel Brooks...although not as strong. When the film came out it had moderate success and has since gone on to be become a bit of a cult, yet I'm not entirely sure why in all honesty.

Based on a novel of the same name the story is the quintessential fairytale fable. A young dashing hero who was thought to be dead must save his true love from an evil Prince in his castle. There are sidekicks, magicians, evil henchmen, knights, places of peril and the odd oversized creatures.

The unique element in this rudimentary idea is the comedy factor, a combination of spoof and slapstick both verbally and visually. In short you could say this was an early live action version of the Shrek franchise but not as 'out there' with the fantasy. Every typical fairytale scenario has been slightly twisted and lampooned just enough to make it funny but not as an outright spoof. There is still a solid plot here despite the fact its predictable as hell. The other unique angle is the fact the whole film is being narrated by Columbo to Kevin Arnold in the real world, a story within a story, so you're never completely sure if things will pan out as you'd expect...(but they do).

Now while I can't deny the film is a nice gentle old fashioned type of yarn it is extremely basic and largely unimpressive visually. I realise its more of a character piece than effects extravaganza but there really isn't much to soak up fantasy wise. It doesn't help me especially because some locations they filmed at the start, and the castle, are not far from my folks so it didn't give me any sense of wonder. There are some nice locations most definitely but it all looks too real if you get me, not much like a fantasy realm.

The film works mainly because of the characters, well some of them. Elwes is the perfect well spoken Flynn-esque hero without a doubt, he has good comedic timing and spoofs the classical silver screen hero very well. He virtually plays this character again in that Mel Brooks Robin Hood film. Wright is the perfect blonde fairytale Princess, utterly stunning! Sarandon does the slimy evil Prince to a tee and for me the best of all was Wallace Shawn as the low down crafty 'Vizzini'. Such a shame that Shawn's character dies so early on as he's the best thing going on in the film laughs wise. There are various other famous names in here too but for me they felt forced. Peter Cook's silly clergyman lisp just fell flat on its face, Mel Smith's Albino dungeon keeper felt out of place and not particularly funny whilst Billy Crystal was clearly Billy Crystal in makeup and not in the slightest bit amusing.

Had this come out now I don't think it would do too well, or any better than it did back in 87. The whole idea has been done and drained by a certain green orge plus other animated flicks. Back in the day the idea of a spoof fantasy was a bit more original but even then it didn't fare that well and I'm not really surprised. I can see how this might not have appeared very enticing to cinema goers at the time.

There is little to no violence so its perfect for the younger viewer whilst adults can enjoy the soft satire. Even though this is the epitome of a true fairytale I can't really say its a rich magical experience because there isn't much of that going on. Its a pleasant cozy ride that will relax you and not put any pressure on the brain. A pure organic tale but also rather underwhelming.

'Inconceivable!!'
Carlos M

February 21, 2012
An enchanting storybook love story that has gained the status of cult movie along the years and appeals to both youngsters and adults for its delicious blend of exciting romantic adventure and hilarious comedy - and made even more pleasing by a great cast.
Christian C

May 18, 2013
Amusing. Probably Cary Elwes best film, but that doesn't really establish him in the pantheon of cinematic greats. And why are they still making films with Mandy Patinkin in them? Doesn't he play the Pan flute for a living nowadays?
Apeneck F

July 12, 2007
William Goldman's tongue-in-cheek update/poke-in-the-ribs on the 30's era swashbuckler's is quite the charmer, with the entire cast hamming it up with knowing asides to the camera. Fans of the genre will be pleasantly amused. Microwave some popcorn.
Daniel Mumby
Daniel Mumby

July 21, 2012
The trick to making a really great spoof or satire is that the story should still work on its own terms and feel integral, even if its main purpose is to make jokes about other stories. Airplane! and Naked Gun both work because even in their wildest and most outlandish moments, they are grounded in something which is even faintly plausible. This is more difficult in the fantasy genre because it is easy to just invent your way out of a situation and pass it off as magic that you don't have to explain.

Comparing The Princess Bride to the Zucker Brothers is difficult because, unlike Airplane!, it was never envisioned as a straight-up comedy. Rob Reiner's adaptation of William Goldman's novel is attempting to have its cake and eat it, poking fun at all the silly aspects of fantasy fiction and filmmaking while also demonstrating its love and affection for those kinds of stories. Whether as a comedy or a sweet-natured love story, it is simultaneously a heart-warming triumph and a slight disappointment.

All of the problems with The Princess Bride result from the fact that it is never entirely consistent as to how far it is departing from convention as opposed to celebrating it or playing it with a straight face. According to the making-of documentary, Reiner instructed his actors to treat their roles like they were playing cards, almost but never entirely revealing what they had in their hand. The film keeps teasing us as to the cards that it holds, leaving us with the feeling that it would have been a more generally appealing film if it had chosen to go one way or the other.

Reiner's three previous directorial efforts suggest that he was the perfect man to take on Goldman's multi-genre work. He had done justice to Stephen King's distinctive characters in Stand By Me, sensitively handled young love in The Sure Thing, and created a comedy monolith for the ages in the cult classic This Is Spinal Tap. But while the characters are memorable and funny, they don't always deviate from their moulds in the way that they do in, for instance, When Harry Met Sally. Princess Buttercup may be headstrong and combative, but she's still a straight-up damsel-in-distress, with Robin Wright getting relatively little to work with.

The sad thing about this is that if The Princess Bride had been played completely straight, as an ordinary fairy tale, it would have still been pretty good. We really believe in the relationship between Wesley and Buttercup because the chemistry between Wright and Cary Elwes is so terrifically convincing. We like them so much that we would be willing for the film to embrace convention, since their relationship is enough to make it memorable. But when other aspects of the story break from the mould so deliberately, you feel disappointed that the whole film couldn't live up to those standards, and that turns these accepted conventions into unwanted clichés.

Speaking of clichés, much of the comedy in The Princess Bride hasn't dated very well. All the lines that are quoted by fans still retain their power, whether it's Inigo Montoya's speech to the six-fingered man, or Peter Cook's musings on "mawwiage". But Billy Crystal's comic interlude as Miracle Max brings the story to a grinding halt from which it never fully recovers. His Yiddish shtick feels more suited to a sub-par Mel Brooks film, and even with Crystal's great comic timing it doesn't gel with everything around it.

On the other hand, there are many moments in The Princess Bride which are still either wittily self-referential or laugh-out-loud funny. The best examples of the former both involve the Dread Pirate Roberts, first in his epic swordfight with Inigo Montoya and then his battle of wits with Vizzini. In both cases there is a self-awareness to the scenes, with Montoya quipping about the different sword-fighting techniques being used and oddities associated with the notion of fair play. As for Vizzini, he treats us to Hegelian dialectics and the writings of Field Marshal Montgomery while doing comedy acrobats, setting us up beautifully for a funny death and Roberts' punch line.

The conversations between the son (Fred Savage) and his grandfather (Peter Falk) also fall into this category of poking fun at these traditions as they are acted out in beautiful detail. They have arguments about why certain things have to happen in order for the story to make sense - or why kissing shouldn't be allowed in these stories. But unlike subsequent spoofs like Austin Powers, where the characters deliberately talk about the absurdity of their plans, in The Princess Bride all of these conversations feel naturalistic. The film is not just making a joke, it's making a point about the evolutions that stories undergo to match our changing expectations.

In the documentary, Reiner and actor Chris Sarandon talked about The Princess Bride as a testament to the importance of storytelling. The film gently illuminates the way that fairy tales carry moral lessons, which are conveyed in a certain visual or narrative language to help us understand the world around us. There are familiar lessons about following one's heart, bad deeds coming back to haunt you and good ultimately triumphing over evil, which are conveyed in a non-patronising way for children while reminding adults of the stories they grew up with.

There is also an interesting idea, which isn't explored in enough detail, about the transferring of character identity. Peter Falk's dialogue about The Princess Bride (that would read to him by his father) is mirrored by Wesley's conversation about taking on the mantle of the Dread Pirate Roberts. There is a hint in the closing words, "as you wish" that Falk and Wesley may have some kind of connection, with the real world and story world overlapping. With both characters there is the theme of different people keeping the same characters alive, like different actors playing James Bond, Sherlock Holmes or Doctor Who.

The Princess Bride is also notable for its fantastic swashbuckling. The fight scenes were choreographed by the late great Bob Anderson, who worked on the original Star Wars trilogy, Barry Lyndon and The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Reiner wanted to pay tribute to the swashbuckling adventure movies of Douglas Fairbanks Jr. and Errol Flynn, the latter of whom was trained (and injured) by Anderson. The fights are shot in long, wide-angled takes so that we get a real sense of scale, and all the stunts bar two somersaults are done by the performers.

The performances in The Princess Bride are to a large extent the secret of its success. Cary Elwes is really good in his first starring role: he's charismatic, funny, looks the part of an action hero, and delivers his lines with a great sense of timing and wit. Christopher Guest, who worked with Reiner on Spinal Tap, makes the very most of all too small a part, playing on Prince Humperdinck's insecurities and having great fun during the torture scenes. Peter Cook's cameo may be very close to Michael Palin's Pontius Pilate in Life of Brian, but he's every bit as funny as Palin and looks more thrillingly ridiculous. And Mel Smith gets a very nice cameo as the albino assistant torturer, soothing Wesley after Count Rugen's torment.

The Princess Bride may not have aged all that well in certain aspects, nor is it quite as forthcoming in its satire as many would like. But its cult status is ensured thanks to a handful of very good performances, a solid central romance, a series of very funny moments and some great action scenes. In the grand scheme of 1980s fantasy it's on a par with Ladyhawke, at least as a love story. It's not Rob Reiner's finest hour, but it's still well worth a look.
Edward B

December 5, 2011
There's really nothing bad to be said about Rob Reiner's The Princess Bride. It's a fairy tale about true love conquering all, but framed through a very real life event - an old man telling his grandson a bedtime story. This framed narrative was the thing that truly caught my eye. Why did the film include this? Everything about the fantasy story's dashing farmhand fighting to be with the woman who loves him works. I think the film includes this device to make it known that a story about true love could be just that: a story. But the young boy is enthralled by this theme and wants everything to work out for the main characters. Something about true love speaks to even a child; not to mention the old man, who is as cheerful in telling this story as the young child is in listening to it. Perhaps the possibility of one day finding true love and the ever more challenging quest to keep it alive is one of the great joys of life, one of our most important reasons to be. Every woman I know loves this movie, and thinks Cary Elwes as Westley is one of the most perfect males they've ever seen. Even the men I know who have seen it will tell say, "Yeah, that is a pretty good movie" in the most masculine way they can. Yes, The Princess Bride's message of true love even works on the manly man. The film is also packed with a great cast aside from Mr. Elwes. Robin Wright is as gorgeous as ever as Buttercup. Mandy Patinkin is pure comic relief as Inigo Montoya. And Andre the Giant is the big softy with a heard of gold and force that can knock down whole doors. No matter who you are, you must have a heart of stone if you don't see the magic and the charm of this wonderfully well made movie.
FilmFanatik
FilmFanatik

March 25, 2007
Described by fans and film critics alike as a 'modern day Wizard of Oz,' The Princess Bride is one of the most enduring and most popular fairy tale films with enough star power to light a Christmas tree. The film is at once whimsical and enchanting, while also appealing to both children and adults. This appeal is what gives it its staying power, as it's been passed down from one generation to the next. With wonderful performances and a Pythonesque attitude to its comedy, it always feels fresh and alive. I could go on and on about how well-made this particular picture is, but I'm sure those of you who are actually reading this already know. And those who don't, do yourself a favor and see this little gem.
Alexander D

June 15, 2011
A misleadingly-titled comedy, THE PRINCESS BRIDE is such fun--like Monty Python-ish humor suited for the whole family.

This will certainly please kids and grown-ups alike. It is simply inconceivable to think that some scenes won't have you rolling around on the floor, moaning breathlessly for air.

After all, who wouldn't love a satirical viewpoint on the stereotypes, clichà (C)s, and corniness of CINDERELLA and SLEEPING BEAUTY? (Or that's what I saw it as, at least.) This was the perfect princess movie, and there's nothing Disney about it.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 8, 2007
Not as good as I thought it would be, but still an enjoyable adventure. It's also part of the lovable genre that is 80's fantasy, alongside movies like Krull and The Neverending Story. After seeing the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter films, however, this suddenly becomes quite pale in comparison.
Marc L.
Marc L.

August 12, 2011
"The Princess Bride" is one of the few movies that can combine comedy, action, romance and fantasy and still have a good movie (Succeeding where "The Last Action Hero" failed) It was funny, suspenseful, and above all enjoyable.

First of all, I really liked the cast in this one. I really loved Mandy Patinkin as Indigo Montoya. One of the 80's best performances. I also felt that Cary Elwes did a really good job too.

The script is obviiously the strength. There are tons of memorable quotes in this one. Some are beautifully written, some are menacing, and there are many that are downright funny ("There's a difference between partly dead, and mostly dead" being one of them)

The fight choreography was really good too. This would have some of the best choreographed fight scenes untill 2004's "Troy" came out.

Overrall, "The Princess Bride" is one of my favorite movies. Practically perfect.
Tyler K

August 12, 2011
An excellent fantasy tail about a thief, a princess, an evil intention, a man with a chainsaw, and a torture machine. Really. When you see the title that's called "The Princess Bride", you'll think about some sort of Disney film like Cinderella, right? This isn't one of those cases. Truth is, The Princess Bride is a mature fantasy tale. Sure, go take your 4 and 5 year old kids to see it... you'll not only regret it, but other parents who have seen the movie will look at you in a way as if they're thinking "That look on his face... I've seen it before... it was my same face when I took my 4 year old daughter to see this movie..." Please, think twice. That PG rating is misleading, as if it were rated by today's MPAA, then BING! Instant PG-13. Why? For a start, there are many F-Words in this movie, at least 9 of them, however, they're all in Spanish, so if you're children know fluent Spanish... beware... on the brighter side, the MPAA allows F-Bombs in different languages, as we all know, "English is the most popular language on Earth". Why did I put those quotation marks there, you ask? It's just that, a quotation from the Japanese Anime series Death Note, as well as the movie live-action movie, Death Note. Back to the topic, there is also a murderer with a chainsaw as a subplot near the end of the film. However, this is just a dark theme, and no one is ever harmed or killed (with the chainsaw, of course, there is still a huge body count), but this isn't some sort of Disney-like "calm down" effect. He is STILL a man with a chainsaw, so people will cower in fear if death as an insane man chases them down with a chainsaw. Oh, and by the way... that man is supposed to be a GOOD guy, just another tip for you. Last things last. There is a torture machine that emits electricity on the pull of the lever, and near the end of the film, someone even dies because the guy torturing him put it up a bit too high for the the man to live. I know this is more of a parental guide than a review (or at least it may seem), but it's just me saying that even men like myself will enjoy this movie very much. This is a must watch for people who love old-time fantasies. Oh, and just a reminder, when I say "A Mature Fantasy Film" I don't mean something quite as mature as the R-RATED Pan's Labyrinth (which I really want to see). It's still in a PG-13 range, so if you have a 12 or 13 year old daughter or son, feel free to let them watch with ease. Oh, and before you do, watch it yourself. Not to see if it's okay... but because it's a great movie.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

December 17, 2008
"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

A classic fairy tale, with swordplay, giants, an evil prince, a beautiful princess, and yes, some kissing (as read by a kindly grandfather).

REVIEW
The Princess Bride is one of the most sincere and heartfelt fantasy movies I've ever seen. The movie is framed as a story that a grandfather reads to his sick grandson and it's a perfect idea for a movie that has some tongue-in-cheek takes on fantasy clichés.

The story begins with Buttercup (Robin Wright) and Westley (Cary Elwes), two farmers who fall in love. He decides to leave and return one day a rich man to marry her. Then she hears he was killed by a pirate and Prince Humperdinck decides to make her his bride. But when they least expect Westley returns for 'true love' and the story turns into one of the funniest and most fast-paced adventure ever. There are deadly eels, giant rodents, dangerous forests, giants, revenge-obsessed swordsmen, and miracles. The heroes are noble and fair, and the villains despicable. And true love wins in the end. A movie has never been more honest about its intentions than The Princess Bride.

The cast is mostly great, especially Cary Elwes and Mandy Patinkin, a swordsman looking for the man who killed his father. Penn could have been a more interesting character than the usual damsel in distress, but I guess some clichés you just don't touch. Peter Falk has a short but adorable role as the grandfather trying to pass to his grandson some of the pleasure of reading books.

The Princess Bride is a wonderful story that should appeal to anyone who never lost their sense of wonder and who still like to see the good guys truly win without compromises, something rare these days in mainstream cinema. It's a charming movie that has no pretensions about what it is and which does everything right. Watch it and love it!
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

June 29, 2011
The Princess Bride is a flawless family film that will appeal to people of all ages I was a bit apprehensive about watching this film, but I finally did. This is a classic comedy that has something for everyone.. The cast is terrific. The story of the film really plays out on two side, one is a grandfather reading the story, the Princess Bride, and the other you see the events of the story itself. Rob Reiner is a terrific story teller, and The Princess Bride is a well crafted fairy tale that because there is such a broad sense of humour in the film, there are many things that will appeal to adults as well. The cast in the film are wonderful and they deliver memorable, fun performances. The Princess Bride is not your average fairy tale, and what I liked about it was that it was different. The fact that it had something for everyone made it different, and more enjoyable. Whats great with the fil is that you're able to recognize many of the actors. The Princess Bride has a well assembled cast of varied talent. The Princess Bride is one of the definitive classic family films. The film has aged well, and it still has all the magic that you first remembered while first seeing it. This is a film to pass on to your kids and your kids will pass on to their kids. A wonderful fun filled comedy that should be seen again and again.
Liam G

June 24, 2011
A classic fantasy romance
erika250
erika250

February 26, 2010
Bride (1987) is about a couple that was meant for each other. One day Westley had to go off to make more money and he told Buttercup that they will be together again in the future. Then one day Buttercup got the news that her true love got kill and thought she would never love again. Then a prince from the land choose buttercup to be his wife but a couple days before they would be married Buttercup got kidnapped. Will Buttercup make it out alive and who would be one who saves her?
Pros
Good acting a plot.
Funny.
Edge of your seat film.
True classic
One of the best films from the 1980's.
If u want a film with action, love, drama you should give this a try.
"My name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my brother, prepare to die."
Zach B

June 11, 2011
Before I begin this review, there are two things I want to touch base on. The first is the art of making satires/parodies. In film, there is an extremely fine line between making a parody smart and making it idiotic. We all know that the king of parodies is Mel Brooks, but Rob Reiner comes beyond close when he made the film THIS IS SPINAL TAP. With this film, he comes close again with a satire on the entire fairy tale genre of films that was popular at the time this film was released. Now, the second has to be the career of it's director: Rob Reiner. For most of his career, it has been nothing short of just ups and downs. Some of his worst includes the indescribable bad NORTH and HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS. His best include THIS IS SPINAL TAP, THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT, and this charming little film. In terms of direction, Reiner is able to create a film that is a combination of satire, parody, comedy, and romance all ingeniously mixed. With him at the helm, he is able to create a story that is not only original and fresh, but also makes you feel like the little boy (Fred Savage), whom the story is being told too. Easily one of his best directorial features. Now, with the acting. One key to having a memorable film that is always good is to have a list of unknowns, or lower level actors, portray the characters. This film features some B list celebrities and I just love how they become these characters. But, the best actor well have to be Cary Elwes as the poor stable boy Westly. Personally, his best piece of acting is at the end of the film after his little 'misfortune and torture' had happened. Just, how he moves shows me how dedicated he was and that just made this film the more enjoyable to see. Now we come down to the script. Personally, I felt that it was slow at the beginning and it could have been moved faster. But, personally I believe that this was on purpose to create the sense that the story was being read to you. With the characters, I will have to say that of Buttercup has to be the most developed character in the entire film. I just love her entire transformation through out the entire story and how strong she becomes at the end. Finally the score. It is rather whimsical at times and cliche, but I guess that is just to enhance the tale and set the mood more. If that is the case, then it done a good job at it. Overall, this is a cute, little film that does the fairy tale genre justice while having all the beloved cliches intact.
FiLmCrAzY
FiLmCrAzY

September 4, 2007
loved it!
I love this movie, its a really good movie that i probably wouldnt originally go for but its a great fantasy romance drama, that is extrememly enjoyable and well worth the watch
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

March 1, 2011
Beautiful movie, it was funny and cheesy. Not only is Princess Bride a classic, its also actually a good princess movie. My nly tiff is I hate cheesy moments, and this had a few. But other than that I highly recommend this, has a true meaning you can't find most places.
Page 1 of 1902