Prisoners - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Prisoners Reviews

½ October 6, 2013
An absolute Tour DE Force of a movie, with great performances from all cast members involved, the standouts being Hugh Jackman and especially Jake Gyllenhaal, who gives not only the best performance of his career, but also the best performance of the year. A great, great, great movie. Also directed perfectly with great cinematography from Roger Deakins. One of the best movies of the year, hands down.

9/10
½ August 19, 2013
This hits all the right notes that a thriller should hit. It has characters that are relatable and splendidly acted. It has some twists that you may not see coming. The direction is fantastic. It doesn't stray too far from reality while still remaining clearly a film. Plus it does make you question, what would you do in this situation.
March 27, 2015
I'm not writing the overview that is readable elsewhere. This is a stunner of a horror film (kind of, because little girls, you know, are mandatory in horror and here we have two missing at once). It is also a murder mystery and a police. Villeneuve does have the right touch. The whole is psychologically holding solid. Insanity is actually much more common than people think in general. When tested, psychological flaws and cracks start to show up. Everyone here has some. It makes for a very real feel of all the characters, rather well played btw. The viewer has the chance to try to guess who's who. Who's the killer and who are these suspicious characters? Probably like real police work, clues abound. Crimes abound. Could there be a connection between this and that? Is this a clue? Shouldn't the villain father see a clue instead of pummelling his first obvious suspect? It's amazing maze of a film to understand the value of a nudge and the power of quiet listening. All thumbs up!
½ March 20, 2015
Way too long. Great performances. Falls apart at the end (both predictable and outlandish)
March 19, 2015
How far would you go to protect your family? Keller Dover (Hugh Jackman) is facing every parent's worst nightmare. His six-year-old daughter, Anna, is missing, together with her young friend, Joy, and as minutes turn to hours, panic sets in. The only lead is a dilapidated RV that had earlier been parked on their street. Heading the investigation, Detective Loki (Jake Gyllenhaal) arrests its driver, Alex Jones (Paul Dano), but a lack of evidence forces his release. As the police pursue multiple leads and pressure mounts, knowing his child's life is at stake the frantic Dover decides he has no choice but to take matters into his own hands. But just how far will this desperate father go to protect his family?...

The topic of "Prisoners" is without no doubt one of the more difficult things a human being can go through. A missing child and when minutes turns into hours into days every second is valuable. There´s an emotional complexity in the film and the sense of dread/something terrifying lurking in the darkness is so apparent you can touch it. Denis Villenueve has managed to put together this strong movie without losing the focus of the topic and getting the absolutely best out of every actor/actress in the film. Hugh Jackman is magnificent (one of his best performances showing all the emotional states you can imagine), Paul Dano is great as the pacified Alex and the same goes for Jake Gyllenhaal, Terence Howard, Maria Bello and Melissa Leo. I love the layers in the film and Villenueve keeps you in his grip until the end part in which you start to grasp the connecting dots before the conclusion. The weight in the movie lays on the male counterparts and all the females are less prominently in the film. This gives maybe a less balanced script, but it´s not stealing the focus of the film. "Prisoners" is truly engaging throughout the running time despite not maybe adding a revolutionary point of view on a classic theme.
½ March 18, 2015
It's a movie with unexpected twists and turns that draw you in!!!
August 19, 2013
What "Gone Girl" should of been.
March 14, 2015
Near perfect, on so many levels
½ March 9, 2015
Que final é esse?!!! Sensacional!
March 7, 2015
Wow. Shockingly good.
March 6, 2015
A really great thriller with a brillant final.
The performances of Gyllenhaal and Jackman are amazing.
½ September 29, 2013
mracan i tezak film. dokle je covek spreman da ide.
gluma.......... FENOMENALNA!!!
March 3, 2015
Wow. This is one of the best mystery thrillers I've seen despite the whole sketchy white trash beginning. You have to follow it and it does not have a narrative guiding the viewer along or summing it up at the end with a nice bow so some might not pick up on everything but it does come full circle at the end and it fills the plot holes pretty much at the last minute then it rolls credits. I can usually pick up clues to how it will end and put together the maze right away but it didn't just end there..."hope for the best, prepare for the worst". Like some other reviews I read it maintains enough plausibility to be believable that it could really happen or has happened and after it was over I just stared at the screen processing what I saw. Anyone who is a parent will find this especially difficult to watch because you keep thinking about what you would do- and how far you would go. Would I become capable of things that happened in the chain of events if I thought I would get my girl back? What if I never could get her back- would I recover? Fantastic acting by Jackman- he had the stand out performance with of course Gyllenhaal at close second. This one will stay in my collection and next time around I look forward to seeing what I may have missed now that I know how it ends.
½ March 2, 2014
Absolutely phenomenal acting by Gyllenhaal and Jackman. Dark and really disturbing.
½ June 2, 2013
Nicely played, great screenplay, and def award nods to Jackman and even Gylenhaal (who i normally could care less about)
½ February 15, 2015
Undoubtedly one of the best Drama movies I have ever seen, it seems to be made with little bricks of suspance.
Absorbing you from the very first minute, I hope you're not watching the last 15-20 minutes of this film during a meteor apocalypse. You won't be able to get your eyes off the screen to find a shelter.
February 22, 2015
A really good movie, completely worth a rewatch if I get around to it, a really well crafted story.
½ February 20, 2015
A very realistic and nerve-wracking piece of thrilling cinema. Jackman and Gyllenhaal are both superb. A must see.
½ February 17, 2015
I was a bit disappointed. Many scenes were dragged out far longer than necessary. The clues seems so obvious, but took Gyllenhaal forever to figure out. The resolution left me wanting more as well. This movie is on the cusp of being great, but falls short.
½ February 17, 2015