67% The Equalizer Sep 26

—— Sleepy Hollow: Season 2
62% Under the Dome: Season 2

Prisoners Reviews

November 15, 2013
Like his previous work Incendies, Dennis Villeneuve adopts the gradual and detail-minded approach to reveal the hopelessness in life and his atheist sentiments. However, his focus this time is the deterioration of mankind in compellable situations. The pessimism permeates throughout, unlike the sudden explosion previously. The explicit religious symbolism and the trauma of child kidnapping engulfed the onscreen characters, as well as the viewers, in captivity. Despite less haunting than Incendies, the curse it inflicted is as long-lasting as of that.
September 21, 2013
The visceral humanity that surfaces in this film is fantastic. It isolates the viewer, and has them question their own morals. What justice is their without faith or sympathy? What worth is harming the fragile? All questions that make this film all the more intriguing. All of this, of course, driven by amazing performances by Hugh and Jake.
September 17, 2014
Interesting but nothing special, nothing ground breaking.
January 14, 2014
This is a long movie, be wary. While it took a bit for me to warm up to it, once it got going, I was hooked. It is an excellent whodunnit that also makes you question ethically what is the right thing to do. Also, be warned, the ending may not be for everyone (like Dad).
September 6, 2013
extremely intense and completly unpredictable from beginning to end prisoners is a masterpiece suspense thriller that keeps you on the edge of your seat, with it's complex story and emotion-filled characters that are brought to life but it's fantastic cast specifically Jackman and gyllenhaal, who both turn in phenomal performances, this film is expertly directed and keeps the viewer engulfed for it's entire 150 mintie runtime making this easily one of my favorite movies of all time
September 11, 2014
For a movie that long it doesn't bored me for a minute , 2 favorite actors in it is a bonus ...no real happy ending ...
September 11, 2014
a great cast, the story pulls you in, but leaves you with uncertainty
The Tornado
September 6, 2014
Tense, dark and disturbing. "Prisoners" has some great acting, a surprisingly complicated story, incredible suspense, and it is very engaging.
September 5, 2014
Phenomenal movie. Dark and complex, this may be Hugh Jackman's best performance of his career. This is a fascinating thriller, i highly recommend.
September 5, 2014
Watched PRISONERS tonight on Blu Ray. It was an intense movie with excellent performances. My only complaint is it's a little long but doesn't get boring, Kept my attention to the end. Anybody else see it?
July 25, 2014
Prisoners is set emotion, suspense and visual discomfort doing a great performance from Jackman to see this film again would be a instale.
August 29, 2014
An astounding deconstruction of the father-knows-best style of action thrillers, this film presents an incredible turn for its lead, Hugh Jackman.
August 28, 2014
Excellent movie. Really suspenseful and a twist I didn't see coming. Huge Jackman was fantastic.
August 28, 2014
A flawlessly thematic film that enthralls the viewer while tying them into the poignant amount of ominous substance. The performances are top notch, and the writing is so gripping that you'll find yourself unbelievably excited and interested in the next on screen exchange. Prisoners can be analyzed as a symbolic, metaphorical film, as well as ringing as a horror movie for anyone close to their family. Prisoners is riveting, bold, and Denis Villeneuve's best work so far.
August 28, 2014
Perfectly balanced and absorbing. The subject matter is disturbing but well handled, the mystery part ties everything together, and the acting is great. One of the best thrillers I've seen in a long time.
catbear9x
August 26, 2014
I expected this to be a poorly written movie, relying on the cast and a kidnapping drama to draw an audience. Instead, there is no wasted dialogue or elements in the movie. It is filled with a number of motifs, symbols, and themes that leave the viewer thinking about the movie after leaving the theater. The title accurately captures the hopelessness of an inescapable fate and the haunting effect it has on families.
Julian T.
August 26, 2014
I'm having a lot of trouble thinking of a better film to come out in 2013. 'Prisoners' has almost everything going for it: an A list cast and director, a great story, top notch script and boat loads of tension. It fits together as intricately as the maze in its logo, and keeps the viewer on the edge of their seat until the last frame.

This film is successful for all the reasons listed above, but the story itself is the major strength. It is a slow burn style thriller that ramps up the tension in an incredibly palpable way. Starting out as a fairly straightforward abduction story, it quickly escalates into a full fledged frenzy. Twist after turn keeps the audience genuinely unsure of what is going to happen next and where it is heading. This is the ultimate job of a thriller, and this one stays one step ahead at all times. Despite this escalation, it never looses sight of what it wants to accomplish, keeping its focus on its characters and their inner struggles in a very intimate way. The ending is just right, leaving you exactly when it is supposed to.

Its characters are brought to life by some really good performances up and down the cast. Both Jackman and Gyllenhaal turn in performances worthy of being called their career bests. Gyllenhaal in particular throws himself into a very different role than he has played before, and his method acting and body language really sell it. I would cite Jackman for overacting in a few scenes, but he is very good as the father who comes to the uneasy but unapologetic realization that he will do unthinkable things to save his family. It is a very interesting dichotomy to watch someone pushed to that limit, and it leaves you with no real judgment on the morality of his character. The rest of the cast is rounded out by some great supporting performances from solid vets like Leo, Dano, Bello and Howard.

The direction is another extremely strong suit here. If you told me this was directed by David Fincher, I just might believe you. Aside from a very Fincheresque story, the direction is very much his style. Striking high contrast and lack of color saturation almost mimicking black and white photography combine with a masterful use of shot composition and symmetry that really echos Finchers directorial eye. Villeneuve is a director to watch. He's been around awhile, and while isn't particularly prolific I will be keeping an eye out for his future projects.

There are a few minor issues I had with the film. First and foremost is its length. I'm all for a director using as much time as necessary to tell their story exactly the way they want, but I ended up feeling 153 minutes was a little much. I feel a good 15 minutes could have seen the cutting room floor without sacrificing much if anything. Another qualm I had is that after all the pain the villain ends up inflicting, I wanted to see them suffer a bit rather than the quick, arbitrary ending they are given. Is that wrong? Maybe, but I can't say I have any shame in wanting to see such a detestable character get exactly what's coming to them. A few minor issues with pacing slow things down a bit in the middle act as well. These negatives said, they are all very minor complaints that really don't do much to detract from such a great final product.

Considering the overall artistic vision, depth and effectiveness of this film on all fronts, I have to say I am fairly shocked of its lack of critical recognition and fanfare. In my opinion, this was surely deserving of several Oscar nominations and probably wins. Yet, it remains unheralded and relatively unknown to the general public for some reason. But don't let the lack of popular praise fool you: this is a grade A thriller from top to bottom, and I'd place it right at the top of best pictures of the year.
August 23, 2014
Very good detective/mystery movie. Definitely a must see if this is your genre. Well played by Jackman, Gyllenhall and Dana... very well played..
August 23, 2014
This was crazy, intense and suspenseful. My God what a powerful movie.
Tristan Lane
August 22, 2014
Thoroughly tense and provoking a wonderful sense of dread, Prisoners' performances, as well as a thrilling and gripping narrative, almost completely compensate for a slightly lackluster resolution.