Problem Child Reviews

½ May 24, 2007
'Dennis the Menace' on crack.
March 27, 2015
I'm a Ritter fan and he works his magic here to pull this light comedy somewhat up the hill.
March 5, 2015
No stars. To quote Roger Ebert, "I hated this movie. Hated hated HATED this movie." Now he was talking about "North," which is one of the worst films ever made. I'm talking about this. which is worse than "North" and a contender for the "worst movie ever" list. Where to begin...well, for starters they could not have picked a worse actor to portray the hellspawn title character. Michael Oliver is retired from acting now, and thank God, because his complete lack of talent is readily apparent in every single scene he's in. (And he's in almost every single one of them.) For those who hate John Ritter on "Three's Company"...he's never been more annoying than he is here. He pretty much plays the world's biggest idiot to perfection. Everything else, the writing, direction, music, just comes together to create an orchestra of obnoxiousness from first frame to last. I don't know who this movie is for. Junior is a bad influence on children of any age, and I wouldn't want to meet the grown adult who finds this thing "charming" or "cute." Bottom line, AVOID. Period. I'm gonna go lie down now.
December 4, 2014
Churchill Crescent, South Molton, EX36 4EL
½ December 4, 2014
WELL, this movie is pretty corny. The characters are weird, a little overly dramatic, and strange! When I was a kid, I watched this movie and laughed with it. Now that I am much older, I watch it and laugh AT it. The pranks Junior plays are funny, but otherwise this movie is just plain weird! Same goes for the sequel--very predictable, corny jokes and sappy ending (except the sequel's end was better.) Regardless, this is kind of a decent movie and is still enjoyable. HOWEVER, don't expect a lot of adventure and excitement!
½ October 12, 2014
wtf???!!! it is the best comedy of my childhood. I completely disagree with this poor written review. Those who like golden cinema of 90 s would definitely appreciate this movie.
½ December 24, 2012
Uninspiring, lazy, thoughtless, and unfunny in every regard. This is yet another one of those movies I watched over and over again as a little boy and now see that it is not good at all. Dennis Dugan's directing, the terrible writing and juvenile jokes, and Michael Oliver as the little brat make this a painful experience to get through. Michael Oliver is not likeable at all in the film and you just want to hurt him when he is doing some prank to something and Dennis Dugan failed to launch a real career for him like Chris Columbus did for Macaulay Culkin in Home Alone. John Ritter is a likeable actor but he is squandered under a mediocre as hell script and in the second half of the film after Junior drives through the sports shop, his acting got a little too silly and over the top in my opinion. Amy Yasbeck as the wife of John Ritter's character was annoying and over the top and I wanted her to shut up when she would be yelling something and half of her dialogue is whining and complaining. Gilbert Gottfried here also annoys you with his squirmy face and his silly voice. Dennis Dugan is one of the most untalented directors working today and throughout his whole career he has been directing the same old juvenile recyclable crap. In the end, if you feel like losing some brain cells and having an unpleasant time, than this is the movie for you.
August 19, 2014
An unfunny and mean-spirited comedy franchise.
August 19, 2014
I don't care what anyone says... I "ABSOLUTELY" loved this movie... funny as hell!
February 12, 2010
(First viewing - Late childhood)
March 5, 2014
Evil child? Check. Shenanigans and pranks? Check. Ridiculous story? Check. Still this movie was hilarious when I was a kid.
August 23, 2013
Ben (John Ritter) and Flo Healy (Amy Yasbeck) want a young child of their own, but Flo is incapable of having a child herself. Enter Junior (Michael Oliver), a little monster who has been to foster parents' homes since he was a baby and always made himself get thrown out so one day he goes to the orphanage and causes trouble for the poor nuns (although some of them deserved it). So Ben and Flo go to adopt a child and the administrator, Peabody, cons them into taking Junior off their hands. Junior goes home with the Healys to a nice house which includes a bedroom full of clowns! Ben takes an immediate love to his son, no matter what the horrible things he does, even though he injured his grandfather (Jack Warden), a bigoted politician, really turned a birthday party into a "blast", sicks a bear onto campers on a camping trip, and even goes on a joyride with convicted killer Martin Beck (Michael Richards)!

also stars Peter Jurasik, Charlotte Akin and Anna Marie Alfred.

directed by Dennis Dugan.
½ November 15, 2011
I grew up with this film, I remember wanting to be just like Junior. Still funny to this day, gotta love John Ritter.
½ November 16, 2013
Ridiculous critics of RT might have rated this childhood classic low, but that doesnt diminish the joy this movie gives me everytime i watch it!
½ October 1, 2013
A movie I so fondly remember from the past, if this movie had come out today I would probably rate this way lower. Still watching this now I can't help but laugh at the silly shenanigans that take place.
May 31, 2013
Saw it in theaters. Can't pretend to remember much but my impression.
½ August 28, 2013
The most pro-choice movie I have ever seen.
½ August 27, 2013
A fun family film but no more. Some of the various antics are enjoyable to watch and Jack Warden gets a few of the better comedy lines in the script.
August 7, 2013
I enjoyed this film as a kid and bizarrely enough still like despite it cruelty towards orphans, cheap laughs, and cynicism in child abuse. Sigh over the late John Ritter, and Michael Richards... well at least his career.
July 7, 2013
Pretty good, but the ending is seriously effed up.