Project X Reviews

FiLmCrAzY
½ December 17, 2013
This was mental although slightly interesting, it doesnt offer much entertainment wise!
TheDudeLebowski65
December 30, 2012
Project X is a horrible excuse for a comedy film. The film is crude, obscene and void of genuine laughs or good entertainment value. Right off the bat, you don't sympathize with the characters and you don't care about them either. A few lines made me smile, but overall this is one weak comedy and it doesn't stand out whatsoever. There's no thought in what went in to making this film and it seems as if the film's idea was drawn up on a napkin and studio executives were like "oh let's make a film with teens partying and drinking their asses off!" This is a dreadful movie that relies on teen party clichés for its plot. The film could have been much better, and it just ends up being a pointless mess from start to finish. To me this is just the bottom of the barrel of entertainment. I advise you if you consider watching something else if you come across this piece of crap. This is one film that never should have been made. I despised this one like the plague, and if you want a better party oriented film, watch Superbad, at least that one had great jokes, a good cast and plenty of terrific chaos that actually was hilarious. The only comical bits here are the parts where the Mercedes gets driven into the pool and the guy crashing the party with the flamethrower. Project X is a mess pure and simple, and it is definitely not a smart comedy. This is one of the worst films of 2012 and it is a film to definitely avoid.
½ December 11, 2011
This movie sucks; big time. Some of the chaos that occurs in the film's final forth was pretty entertaining, but that isn't saying much. "Project X" is the most unlikable movie I've seen in ages. The characters, the endless montages, and the (failed) humor; all trite.
Nate Z.
August 20, 2012
We've all had the fantasy of throwing an awesome party, a revelry of youthful exuberance, and cutting loose. The house party is a teenaged rite of passage. Project X is produced by Todd Phillips, the director behind The Hangover as the advertising would like to burn into your associative memory. You'd expect some wacky comedy and boorish behavior from boys living out their wildest fantasies. I felt a deep sadness watching the events of Project X. I won't bemoan it as evidence of the decline of Western civilization but it's certainly not helping matters.

Thomas (Thomas Mann) is a gawky, awkward, nice kid who's celebrating his 17th birthday. His upper middle-class parents are going away for the weekend and trusting their only child with care of the home. Naturally, Thomas' best friends, Costa (Oliver Cooper) and JB (Jonathan Daniel Brown), take this opportunity to stage a party. They invite all the popular girls at school, spread word via radio and Craiglist, and hundreds descend on Thomas's family grounds with the intent of partying harder than Andrew W.K. Kirby (Kirby Bliss Blanton), long a friend of Thomas, is crushing on the guy and he doesn't realize it. His attentions are on Alexis (Alexis Knapp), the school's unattainable Hot Girl. As Costa clarifies, this party is meant to be a game-changer for their social lives. They're supposed to reach for the stars tonight, which means groping strangers and puking in the bushes. Aim high, boys.

This did not have to be a found footage movie, and Project X would have been better if stripped of this tedious gimmick. By making this a found footage movie, it roots the quickly escalating madness in a reality that cannot contain it. The film's credibility goes out the window without a thought. A wild party that rages out of control is a believable setup, but when you toss in so many out-of-nowhere outlandish elements, including an angry midget, a crazed drug dealer armed with a flame thrower, and a high-story zipline (who put that there?), and the groundswell of a consequences-free riot, you strain all sense of believability. I also found it unrealistic how blasé people reacted to the presence of a camera in certain situations. I think people at a school might not want to be recorded for who knows what purpose. But easily the scene that stands out is a locker room with a bunch of guys in various states of undress. Seriously, not one character, not even a minor character, raises any issue with someone casually recording a place where men are undressing. I'll grant the exhibitionist antics of the party (the courts of our land have ruled that flashing is not considered an "invasion of privacy"). Then there are also the lighting changes at Thomas' house. All of a sudden certain rooms have very distinct, stylish blues and greens for lighting. Where did that come from? Did someone find a colorful bulb? These are the dumb questions that arise under the belabored pretenses of a found footage movie. There's no reason this movie shouldn't have ditched the found footage gimmick and simply played it straight.

Congratulations Project X, for it was you who cemented the death knell of my youth. I don't have anything against party movies (Superbad is great, Can't Hardly Wait ain't bad either) and I don't shrink from the presence of ribald, juvenile, inappropriate and/or illegal underage activity. Dazed and Confused is one of my favorite films of all time and that movie is nothing but kids getting drunk and stoned. But lo, Project X was the first party movie I've watched where my sympathies lay not with the party animals but with the annoyed neighbors and parents. Maybe it's a sign of getting older; maybe it's just the culmination of my upstairs neighbors playing heavy-bass electronica music at all hours of the night when I have to work in the morning. Or maybe it's just a clear indication that this movie fails on any level to make me care about these moronic, annoying, unbearable characters. So when these twits are off celebrating the wanton hedonism unleashed in their backyards, I thought of the neighbor with a baby who just wants his kid to sleep. Is that an unreasonable request? The man isn't presented as some incensed, dangerous madman, and what does he get for daring to question the noise level of this party? The man gets tazed. That's what you get for expecting anyone to possibly be moderately considerate about their action affecting others (I sense a God Bless America-style rant approaching). I just found this whole thoughtless, empty exercise to be exploitative, mean-spirited, and exhausting. Am I that old or is this movie simply that bad?

You want to know how flimsy the plot is for this monstrosity? You could have written the entire thing on a napkin. Why bother with characters or story? This movie is seriously like someone took the Smashing Pumpkins music video for "1979" (possibly the best cruising song, I would argue) and expanded it to feature length. Even at barely 80 minutes, this is one creaky movie that struggles to pad out its running time. The party mostly consists of two-second shots of people jumping around, girls shaking their asses, people smashing things, people vomiting, and the occasional boob flash to remind you how similar in tone the film is to the sleazy Girls Gone Wild series. That's at least half the movie, if I'm being generous. What did I just describe? A music video! A music video is composed of, often, nonsensical images that serve little purpose other than to stimulate. There are plenty of segments that are nothing but pounding music and people dancing. If you buy the soundtrack (and why wouldn't you since it'll be ringing in your ears for days) and do some pseudo-inebriated dance movies, you've basically recreated the plot in your own living room. Project X is a music video writ large, not just in its style or in its single-minded execution to do nothing but string a series of rapid imagery. Good Lord, if this stuff made the final film what was left on the cutting room floor?

Project X also has the ignoble distinction of making me loathe a character not just in his very introduction but also in the very opening SECOND of the film. The first second I got of Costa told me everything I needed to know. His smarmy, irritating, faux "gangsta" machismo persona was enough. I knew this guy was going to be a douchebag. One second in, Project X, and you've already dug yourself a pretty significant hole. The Costa character is unfunny from beginning to end. There is not a single joke, a single one-liner, a single reaction of his that made me laugh. He is an insufferable character and a transparent combination of Superbad's McLovin' and Jonah Hill's character. I hated every wretched second his face was onscreen. The other two friends didn't make me want to punch my TV, which was the only positive thing I could say about either of them. Thomas is your typical mild-mannered, awkward teen (read: the Michael Cera role) who gets to cut loose and grow a spine of sorts. He has no personality and I couldn't work up the effort to root for him. I can't really say anything about JB because he adds absolutely nothing to the movie. He has no personality as well, other than his girth and desire to bed some ladies. It's like the movie forgets he even exists. I know I did.

I know that making a feminist diatribe against this movie is a waste of time but indulge me for a moment, dear reader. I understand that this entire enterprise is untamed male fantasy and wish fulfillment. I don't have a problem with this notion, on the surface. But why do all the women of this fantasy have to be reduced to, in Costa's words, "drunk bitches" and "hos"? The women of this universe, which is supposed to be our own remember, are merely walking toys ready to be exploited for male entertainment. We don't get characters; we get attractive women in great states of exhibitionism. It's ridiculous the amount of older, attractive women who would be enticed by... a high school party? Don't these people have college parties they'd rather be attending? At one point JB identifies one of the girls at the party as a woman who posed for Playboy, because that's all women are good for in this movie. Why would Alexis agree to bed Thomas just because it's his birthday? We see no connection, and he's certainly not a wealth of charisma. It doesn't matter. Women are to be ogled. They are decorative.

Then there's the aggravating romance between Thomas and his best girl friend, Kirby. First off, if this is the quality you get with girl-next-door types then I am moving to that neighborhood. This woman is a bonafide hottie, so when the guys make dismissive comments that Kiby is just one of the guys, I question what criteria these men have for female beauty. Any of these guys would be lucky to ever interest a woman of this stature. And then there's the fact that she so easily forgives of Thomas after he makes an ass of himself and tries to hook up with another girl hours after sleeping with Kirby. It's like the movie advertising that you, American teenage males, can have it all and with a minimum of humility and empathy.

I guess the real question is whether any of this gratuitous debauchery is fun. The whole movie runs on the caffeinated, fist-pumping highs of unchecked male ego and fantasy, but it's trying so hard to be the most epic party ever, and that's the only ambition the film has. This is one sleazy and off-putting movie. Even some of its egregious faults could be partially forgiven if the movie was any funny. It just isn't. It's loud and profane and anarchic but without interesting, relatable, or even defined characters, and the plot is so feeble I could sum it up thusly: Nerds throw party. Crap happens. They get to be cool. In between those momentous plot points is a lot of incoherent imagery of people dancing, women being objectified (by the camera, the filmmakers, the audience), and pounding music. The plot is so simplistic, so plainly an afterthought, that the entire hedonistic festivity reeks of lazy exploitation. Congratulations, Project X, you've turned me into my parents. Now get the hell off my lawn and get a job and make better movies!

Nate's Grade: D
½ September 15, 2012
if you had some time and nothing to do, this movie good to waste it.
September 8, 2012
A hilarious off the wall comedy thats crude, rude, insane, silly and totally brilliant. An instant comedy classic. It`s Superbad on acid. A laugh-out loud riot from start to finish. One hell of a madhouse party movie that`s too much un to pass up. It delivers lots of crazy antics, wild jokes and great fun.
LWOODS04
½ February 18, 2012
"This was like a really bad version of Superbad. The three main characters were OK, but there was no real character developement. Most of the movie failed to impress me. I got rather bored with the movie pretty quickly. It wasn't as funny as it made itself out to be either. Which mainly was because they put the only funny snippets into the previews. The movie just didn't do it for me."
blkbomb
July 8, 2012
Costa: 'Til the Break of Dawn, Yo!

"The Party You've Only Dreamed About"

Project X knows its target audience and gives them just what they want, and what they want isn't a great movie. They want drinking, drugs, sex, loud music, and tons and tons of naked boobies. That's all the American teenager wants and that's what we're given with Project X. I belong to that target audience. I just graduated high school and am getting ready to go to college. Partying's a big part of anybody around my age's life. This movie was fun to watch because of my age, but I can't say it was a good movie, because it isn't.

Project X is a lot of slow motion dancing, drinking, and making out. At times the movie is cool. At other times, it seems like they're just trying to make it to a respectable runtime. It is what it is. That's what I like about it. It isn't trying to be anything more than a party movie. Thomas' parents are going out of town for the weekend and leave him in charge of the house. Thomas isn't the type of guy to throw a big party, but his friend Costa takes over. He invites everybody, and soon the party is fucking huge. There's a midget, there's an old guy hanging around, there's topless girls everywhere, there's an ecstasy filled Gnome. As far as just the party goes, it has everything. Obviously things get out of control though, but it doesn't really play out like a cautionary tale for Thomas, which was kind of surprise and a disappointment.

Basically this movie is just a commercial for partying, which makes sense seeing as it was directed by someone who had only made commercials beforehand. It's fun, forgettable entertainment. The film is pretty pointless, and doesn't serve any purpose at all, but that's alright. Probably not necessary viewing for anyone over the age of twenty five, but for anyone who's inside that target range; you should enjoy yourself just enough to Mae this 80 minute runtime worth the watch.
3niR
½ June 19, 2012
Disgusting.
March 5, 2012
Project X is a pretty weak excuse for a plot. Young Thomas and his cohorts are planning a party for his 17th birthday. They're outsiders and hope that their little shindig is attended by enough attractive girls and popular guys to make them more accepted. The celebration amongst the high schoolers starts out rather modestly, then spins wildly out of control. It aims to be outrageous for its strident politically incorrectness, but it just winds up being kind of pointless. Project X was originally marketed to showcase that Todd Phillips, director of The Hangover, produced this mess. Co-writer Michael Bacall was also responsible for Scott Pilgrim vs. the World and the 21 Jump Street screenplay, so there's some talent behind the lens. But any expectations of quality are dashed as the chronicle unfolds to reveal a sloppily filmed record of debauchery and music. One, two, three music videos that highlight montages of wild party shenanigans with dance music, doesn't disguise the issue that there's no story.
July 1, 2012
I thought this was a great concept. A 'found footage' film about a huge party. How can you go wrong?... well, make it as unbelieveable as humanly possible. As soon as I saw a beer get thrown at a cop and then every cop runs away to wait until the party ended, that's when I was lost. This is California Cops. They'll beat the crap out of someone in waves for doing much, much less then a beer in the face. Also, the party going on for 10 hours? I'm sorry, call me a noob if you want but after a 5 hour mark, I just want to sleep and sleep and sleep. I liked how the craziness of the party esculated to midget crashing a car in the pool and **SPOILER** a redneck meth head burning down the entire neighborhood with a flame thrower! If they took the unbelieveable crap out and kept the out of hand stuff then I would have liked this movie more. But as it stands, I couldn't get into it. I'm alittle shocked this film isn't NC-17. When you see what these underage teens do in this film, I know they're older actors playing teens but I just was shocked what they were able to get away with. Just go to a real party that wont end in teen pregnancy instead of seeing this film. You'll save 9 bucks and child support. 4/10
½ March 1, 2012
Project X doesn't set out to be a party movie. It sets out to be 'the' party movie, an over the top version of 'Risky Business' for the Youtube generation. To my surprise, the movie accomplishes that goal to a fair degree of success, but that shouldn't imply that such an accomplishment is necessarily a good thing. The movie, which is at its core for and about obnoxious teenagers being dumb, is actually pretty fun at times, despite being downright alarming in what it says about today's youth. For all its surreal plot developments, Project X feels realistic when it comes to the leading characters. Perhaps ironically, it is the film's uncompromising authenticity to this generation of kids that is both Project X's greatest triumph and greatest tragedy.

Project X has a nice pace to it; its descent into chaos is just as gradual as it should be, and filled with peaks and valleys of dramatic tension and raging euphoria. Unlike the other early-2012 teenage romp 'Chronicle', the found footage genre helps sell realism rather than detract from the experience. Project X has some great editing, and also unlike 'Chronicle', never stretches to find ways to present the 'found footage' from interesting yet believable angles. Its most compelling asset, however, is Oliver Cooper's performance as Costa, the impetus for pretty much everything that inevitably goes wrong in the film's basic party-out-of-control plot.

Costa is a terrible person, yes. He is selfish, obscene, controlling, overly-confident, and most notably, cruel. Many of the 'jokes' in the film are simply him calling another character fat or gay, which is only funny if you laugh when someone in real life calls someone else fat or gay. You would't find that funny, you say? Good for you, you aren't this film's audience, and thank God for that.

The thing about Cooper's performance is, that despite playing such a terrible person, its such a real portrayal that I'm tempted to say the young actor is likely just as obnoxious in real life, and isn't giving a staged 'performance' at all. Whether or not that's the case, it's fascinating that we're given such a pitch-perfect glimpse at a very specific type of person - privileged suburban Jews, something I've experience way too much and far too often. In comparison to Costa's boisterousness, the other characters like the pushover Thomas whose house Costa is basically wholly responsible for trashing, are only solidly performed.

The big problem with Costa is that he represents his entire generation (and the film overall) - cruel and noisy. You know, the generation that loves doing stupid things, living in the moment without dwelling on pesky consequences, making sure to maintain a constant stream of expletives and (if you're a male) misogyny during speech, and most importantly, making sure to record it all if possible so everyone can see everything. This is the generation that is going to inherit the world, and for all of those who claim it's the worst generation of young people ever, Project X certainly feels like an affirmation.

The scary thing is that Project X was written by adults, as if to say "don't worry kids, some adults (like us) are cool and hip and want you to know that it is okay to be idiots, hurt people and destroy property, and that any pesky consequence like police officers, parental punishment, losing college funds, and physical injury are just obstacles that keep you from the real goal, having as much fun as possible at the expense of anyone that isn't you." Instead of someone making a movie that reprimands this generation for being so mean and egocentric, someone went ahead and made a movie that rewards them. The ending almost holds the characters responsible for their actions, but decides to veer off in the final minutes for a completely undeserved happy ending.

If the multiple "Project so-and-so" parties that have occurred in the real world since Project X released is any indication, this can only lead to a perpetual amplification of the same behavior. It's almost as if the hilariously extreme nature of the party is a prophecy that kids are being asked to fulfill, if not one-up it. Studios spending money making movies should be more responsible...but hey, Project X probably would have made less money had it not given young idiots exactly what they want.

So despite all of it's cultural implications, Project X is decently put together. It's short, breezy escapism that actually benefits from its found-footage gimmick. It's also one of the few R-rated movies being sold directly to those who can and will only watch it illegally. That, to me, perfectly indicates why, for all it does right, Project X is a film that can ultimately only do more harm than good. At one point, a group of high school freshman are told, "this is a party for grown-ups!" They are told this by a particularly immature SEVENTEEN year old. Like the movie as a whole, that line would have been amazing satire, if only the movie was being satirical. But it's not, so Project X is instead an ominous indication of how American teenagers think, and what direction our youth is headed.
June 5, 2012
As a straightforward comedy, it's disgusting in all the worst ways and tries to end everything on an undeserved happy note. But it succeeds in serving as an interesting, occasionally hilarious, and horrifyingly accurate time capsule of modern youth. Also, I discovered the incredible 'Pursuit of Happiness' remix by Steve Aioki from this, so bonus points just for that.
June 9, 2012
I swear I'm never going to get bored of the found footage genre. Maybe I'm just simple, but it has the ability to breathe life into tired genres. Or maybe I just really allow myself to get carried away with it all. Project X is that simple story of the outcast kids throwing a party to become popular. It soon spirals out of hand, but what Project X does right, is that it makes sure to really push it ridiculously far without betraying its set-up. None of this would work if we didn't have some lovable protagonists to root for. We have our hero Tom, the friendly and most normal guy. JB is the slightly rotund geek that tries to act sophisticated, and finally we have Costa. A big douchey dick. This could go horribly wrong, but his pranks are often harmless and Cooper plays it in a way where you can see how desperate he is for attention. It makes him very sympathetic, even when you can't believe how outrageous he is being. The film builds up the party slowly, which is perfect. It starts off with a few drinks. The dog is then attached to helium balloons, and once the ecstasy comes into play all bets are off. The film is also littered with those bizarre curiosities that often make great comedy, which thankfully it doesn't overuse. Two of my favourites were the 11 year old security guards. I would have liked to have seen more of the party halfway through, as it turns into a huge montage of hilarious moments. Overall, this is a riotous teen fantasy, where people act like cocks, but you somehow hope they succeed in one way or another. In such a politically correct world, I'm kind of glad it didn't pussy out.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
½ June 7, 2012
"The Party You've Only Dreamed About"

3 high school seniors throw a birthday party to make a name for themselves. As the night progresses, things spiral out of control as word of the party spreads.

REVIEW
The "big party" is one of the classical subjects in the juvenile comedies, and it has been used by some of the most iconic films of the genre, from its innocent beginnings (Gidget, Bleach Blanket Bingo) to its peak during the '80s (Weird Science, Sixteen Candles) and the '90s (American Pie, Can't Hardly Wait). Now, Project X follows the tradition, bringing a more modern (translation: more rude and vulgar) sensibility to the recipe, along with the currently fashionable visual style: the "home video". The result isn't very memorable, but the film made me laugh enough times in order to make it worthy of a moderate recommendation.

For better or for worse, Project X is a natural evolution of the juvenile comedy transformed into a "reality show", leaving the modesty and messages from the John Hughes (1950-2009) era behind, in order to hug the Youtube generation, in which nothing is real unless it's taped, shared and "liked" by friends (and strange people, of course). So, even though Project X lacks of well built characters, logical structure or formal narrative, but it works moderately well as a parade of instantaneous gags, and as a depiction of the perverse voyeuristic pleasure of capturing the people on their worst moments.

Director Nima Nourizadeh brings a dynamic rhythm to Project X, something which doesn't leave any place to the boredom. On the other hand, I found the characters of Project X a bit antipathetic - even though there are a few moments in which they are partially redeemed by their sincere emotions and fleeting moments of humanity. As for the performances, I found them all credible and natural. So, in conclusion, Project X is very far from being a remarkable juvenile comedy, but I have to admit that it made me have a good time in spite of that.
December 31, 2011
Tale of two movies: An unbearably annoying, mean-spirited build-up combined with a second half that has a few cool over-the-top moments, but even those are still brought down by the annoying nature that highlights the first half.
MANUGINO
June 2, 2012
The Party You've Only Dreamed About.

Insanely fun movie! Project X feels like the combination of Superbad and The Hangover shot in the same style you saw in Chronicle. Project X doesn't play it safe. It takes risks. In a genre as trite and tortuously redundant as the teen sex comedy or even adult comedies in general, Project X is fresh and even touching. Unabashedly high-concept, yet oddly low key and nuanced. It also features what is possibly the most spot-on realistic party footage you'll ever see in a fiction film. This is the sort of film you will either hate or love. This is the sort of film where you have to let yourself go, forget about storyline, plot devices etc. Just go in there for the ride, sit back and let yourself be taken into this absolutely crazy party, that you may or may not love to experience.

Three seemingly anonymous high school seniors attempt to finally make a name for themselves. Their idea is innocent enough - let's throw a party that no one will forget, and have a camera there, to document history in the making. But nothing could prepare them for this party. Word spreads quickly as dreams are ruined, records are blemished and legends are born.
March 3, 2012
"Project X" was a fun movie. Of course, this isn't for everybody. It features the raunchy, inappropriate, mean-spirited, and sarcastic humor that normally has me laughing. The majority of the humor is derived from the dialogue, but the film does escalate the unoriginal teen party theme. "Project X" isn't without it's flaws. There is far too much filler. Too much time is spent watching people have a good time, while subjecting the viewer to irritating modern music. I guess it's like having annoying music videos constantly interrupting the movie. "Project X" is also another "found-footage" movie. The style of direction was unnecessary, and as usual, does nothing for me. In the end, "Project X" was good for some laughs. Nothing more, nothing less.
Thomas A.
½ March 23, 2012
How could i give this movie a 9 out of 10? Well because it succeeds in exactly what it tries to do and creates a classic high school party movie. From the very first scene it starts out funny and keeps going. This is essentially a movie about a giant party. And the party itself is wild, with a great soundtrack. The movie just keeps escalating throughout getting crazier and crazier. While this may not be realistic, it does enough of a job to stay somewhat grounded while managing to escalate the antics of the teens to insane heights. The characters are hilarious and carry the movie. This is just pure entertainment, never slowing down for more then a minute or without throwing in a laugh. Again if the plot doesn't appeal to you then you wont like the movie, there's no way around it. that being said this will join the ranks of classic high school party movies. No this isnt a John Hughes movie, there's no lesson or even a real coming of age story, this is just a wild, funny party, and its entertaining for the full running time. For what it attempts to be Project X hits on every mark, and its hard not to remember this one.