Critic Review - Richard Roeper.com

Brilliant. Epic. Haunting. Grotesque. Great.

Richard Roeper.com
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

This comment has been removed.

This comment has been removed.

Greg Klepper

Greg Klepper

Just because you weren't smart enough to put all the pieces together, or don't remember anything about the first two Alien films doesn't mean the film's failed. It's exactly the opposite, it didn't treat it's audience like the dumbasses most audiences are.

Jun 11 - 09:39 AM

Tory Despres

Tory Despres

The movie was great because of how Ridley scott used great visual landscape like iceland to open up the film in the huge epic nature that it needed to succeed. The performances are undeniably great. I loved it because of the smart references to the alien films. What exactly should of it answered? The people that have problems with this film don't understand the concepts of darwinism vs. creation. This movie challenges your beliefs with an open mind and it has well-developed main characters that truly makes you sympathize with Noomi Rapace's Elizabeth Shaw as she was going through chaos n the last hour of the film. I find people who criticize this film are in fact the people that can't describe why it's bad. So I find it ironic that people are asking people to explain how it's good when they can't explain how it's bad. I simply is a great movie because of how cheesy it could have turned out and instead works for what it is due to amazing direction through transitions by Ridley Scott. The flow of the film focused on the characters and at the end the audience wants to know more about the "Alien" world, but what they get more of is more questions and better character development. It's funny because of how it reminded me of Lost with Lindelof writing the last draft. Opens questions for a sequel anti showed first glimpses into what seemed to be the first type of Alien. I personally got to escape to another world while really caring about the characters and believing in it all along the way.

Jun 11 - 05:06 PM

John Parle

John Parle

Dude, that's exactly what the film did, we were treated like dumbasses. Will I write you a list? Minor flaws that I was willing to ignore: The baseless assumption that the aliens created us. The completely unbelievable crew (especially the geologist - who would assemble a team of misfits that can't get along to go half way across the galaxy on the most important mission in history?). The first two scientists to die - after their deaths nobody checks in with them. When the bodies are found they are not brought back to the ship. The squid baby growing to a huge size without eating anything. Rapace being able to run around after the muscles in her chest have been severed. Now the things I cannot forgive: Fassbender murdering one of the scientists apparently for no reason at all. Rapace's escape from quarantine and squid abortion not being mentioned by her or anyone else after it happens - that part was completely implausible. The black goo/worms/squids/aliens - completely all over the place, it looked like someone wanted Alien and someone was trying to stay away from it, and we got neither. Some people will sigh when they hear complaints like that but to a thinking person, these are serious flaws because they break immersion. You cannot take the film seriously after them. And its especially frustrating when they WASTED such a great concept and a good cast, probably because they knew the fanboys would still eat it up and ask for more.

Jun 12 - 06:05 AM

Flemming Kristensen

Flemming Kristensen

@John P: "The baseless assumption that the aliens created us."

More baseless than religion? This is sci-fi and that means the possibility of other scenarios of creation. Not just laser in space and funny umbrellas. Movies are illusions, so if people are so orthodox atheist these days, they can't suspend disbelief a couple of hours because their "faith" has been challenged, then stick with other types of movies, super heroes.

How about Kubrick 2001? It could be same thing. The Monolith anyone?

"The squid baby growing to a huge size without eating anything."

How is this different than the chesthugger from Alien?

"The first two scientists to die - after their deaths nobody checks in with them."

Well they do. They got stuck were they were because of the storm and had to "sit it out". Then they were found.

"When the bodies are found they are not brought back to the ship."

They were not brought back because of quarantine. Thats why Vickers burned Holloway. The huge head was thought to be fossilised, thus not infected.

"Rapace being able to run around after the muscles in her chest have been severed."

And using anaesthesia on herself. Several local injection and quite an incentive to move instead of dying.

"Fassbender murdering one of the scientists apparently for no reason at all."

There are a reason. "TRY HARDER" from his masters voice Weyland. He is committed, programmed to find answers and possibilities and he is programmed to be able to do unethical things.

"Rapace's escape from quarantine and squid abortion not being mentioned by her or anyone else after it happens - that part was completely implausible."

Because Weyland and David already knew and Rapace was stunned finding Weyland, thus also knowing the agenda. Why the grim look from Weyland? A condescending look as if she has been obstinate against the will of the world mogul himself.

Jun 12 - 11:04 AM

Wil H.

Wil Huff

Don't accuse me of not liking movies that make you think. I love freaking Stalker for christ sakes, I'm pretty sure that Prometheus' complexity isn't too much. No the reason why people are pissed at the film isn't becasue it makes you think. It's so-called "though provoking" ideas are horribly underdeveloped and no where near the level of intelligence or complexity of something like 2001, a film that dealt with a similar topic in a far more elegant manner. Prometheus is opaque in all the wrong ways: it brings philosophical topics up and never bothers to explore them. That's bad writing period. Add to the fact that the third act basically said "F these big questions, let's blow some stuff up" and its very clear why so many people are very disappointed after being promised a blockbuster with a brain.

Jun 13 - 08:23 AM

Paul Sexton

Paul Sexton

Thanks for answering that idiots question. Tired of explaining simple things to simpletons. How did it grow without eating anything? WOW really? If you have ever seen an Alien movie then you should be smacked in the face for saying something so stupid lol.

Jun 13 - 11:52 AM

SciFiMan

Andrew Turner

What Philosophical topics EXACTLY did 2001 discuss...?

(Don't stumble too hard trying to answer this one)

Jun 14 - 09:25 AM

tim c.

tim campbell

=================================================
==== Be sure to read a few pages of comments ====
=================================================

A few posts here and there won't give you an accurate feel for this movie. Also know that many posts give spoilers.

I gave Prometheus 6/10.

Jun 24 - 02:50 PM

Justin P.

Justin Pettus

@John P: I can't believe what I just read... "The squid baby growing to a huge size without eating anything." Did you seriously just say that? You are an absolute moron. "I'm glad you liked the film, but don't say you have to be stupid not to like it. Sadly I think it's the other way round." Pot calling the kettle black... That is all.

Jul 2 - 09:11 PM

Connor Rilling

Connor Rilling

I liked the movie because it made me think, and thats the same reason why people didn't like the movie. It's just all about what you WANT to see in movies. I wouldn't compare this movie to any other movie myself, because no two movies are the same. The director does have a definite style that can be seen in other movies, and he does use techniques that have been used before, but every movie does that in some way. I like this movie because I was shocked by the visual effects, confused by the plotline (You can make it make sense if you try, which is why some people dislike it, because you have to try to make it make sense) and the zombie alien was always a bonus. Hope that helps.

Jun 11 - 11:17 AM

Paul Sexton

Paul Sexton

Ummm zombie alien? You are right about the plot. Most of the things people have the biggest problems with make perfect sense if they would of just payed attention or used some brainpower. If anything i think Scott made this appeal to much to the masses. The sequel will hopefully bring some much needed closure. What he was left with my trying to make it mass appealing is a story that is too confusing for non alien fans and not enough for the real fans. All in all i loved it, have to watch it 2 or 3 times to really start to appreciate it. Cant wait to see it in imax tho it was an amazing movie just as a shitty cam rip.

Jun 13 - 11:57 AM

Asbjørn Jahn

Asbjørn Jahn

I don't give a damn what other people think, i like this movie.

Jun 11 - 02:06 PM

Mike Y.

Mike Young

Preach on

Jun 21 - 11:01 PM

Paul Azar

Paul Azar

you're right ! i loved it

Jun 27 - 03:52 PM

tim c.

tim campbell

A friend of mine, still married after 40 years, who taught in the public schools here in the USA at the same school for 35 years goes to the theater every Monday during the summer. Without exception he likes every movie he has seen including Prometheus.

I would like to know what it is that allows someone to say they liked Prometheus and not point out the movie's significant weaknesses. There is virtue in that, whatever it is.

Jun 28 - 04:24 AM

Stephen Dullard

Stephen Dullard

Very funny special effects, monsters jumping out of monsters. And the dialogue was hilarious, Are you a robot? Come to my cabin..

Jun 15 - 06:19 AM

Brian Roberts

Brian Roberts

"Funny stuff. And then I am Christian, but I need and abortion now. Wow the script writers must have been on some good drugs to come up with this stuff."

Really? That is where you are going with your criticism...

I would think that any religious belief about abortion (ASSUMING there even was) would go out the window when you found out that the person you slept with 10 hours previously was infected with an alien pathogen.

Might not be a normal kid..

I think that you and others are forgetting the fact that this was a science FICTION movie. I capitalized the fiction part to help you get the key point in the previous sentence.

Jun 19 - 09:47 AM

Seth Mecklenburg

Seth Mecklenburg

Hey moron, how about Michael Fassbender's remarkarkable performance, consistent direction in storytelling, drop dead gorgeous sets and the fact that it provides interesting topics to discuss as far as "where we came from." And any bad movie would be stupid enough to answer those questions, in a film like this that's not the point, especially when sequels are possible. And the film is "haunting" because it gives a bleak answer to creation of life. "Because we can." That is one of the harshest and most depressing responses as to how life is created of all time. Good movie, not worth calling bad and I understand if some will praise it. If you were to complain about films being poor or not put your time into That's My Boy or the Twilight films, which are so bad I'd literally rather never watch a film again over watching them. So don't knock this film because it has balls and tells an engaging story.

Jun 17 - 11:21 PM

Stahl Helme

Stahl Helme

I agree with almost all of your points including that the story seems to rely on the hope that 'sequels are possible' but that is no excuse for so many implausibilities in the script and the disjointed plot. I can't see how a supposed 'epic' film can rely so heavily on the other Alien movies and require sequels to produce a robust narrative...

;and my friend, you watched the Twilight film(s) as in plural?

Jun 18 - 11:51 PM

Justin Jaeger

Justin Jaeger

Just because the film presents larger questions does not mean it is a good film. This film does not speculate deeply on those creationist questions. I agree with you in that way.
What I and many found very good about this film is the sci-fi horror alien mash up. It's simply very enjoyable with a heavy goal in mind. It was fun for me to watch that lady abort an alien. You don't see that often. Plus, obviously, the visuals. The movie is also built off of other sci fi movies with the replicant and awesome space ship and aliens and a large crew that is going to get slaughtered, and people like to see that brought back to the screen.
It's not exactly a deep movie, but very enjoyable for those who enjoy it. I don't think you're missing much.

Jun 19 - 10:20 PM

Roberto Calabrese

Roberto Calabrese

Hey Dwayne,
You are correct and NOT an idiot. This is marketing rubbish - solely a marketing exercise or exercise in scam bereft of any intelligence.
www.robbyalyon.weebly.com

Jul 2 - 10:08 AM

Alec Bousquet

Alec Bousquet

It was interesting because it was a different take on the creation/evolution of mankind, that there was actually something more then just believing, something you can actually see and feel, Funny thing is that you can tell billions of people that there is a man who turned water into wine and everybody will believe it, but tell somebody that the paint on the wall is wet and they have to touch it to make sure, Fucked up society

Jul 2 - 11:41 AM

William R.

William Rieck

I agree. This movie was horrible. The opening scenes and story were great up until the idiot educated minds of the future started acting like monkeys taking helmets off and attempting to touch snake like creatures resembling a cobra.... seriously, do you think a biologist would reach out to cobra and try to pet it? Nope, didnâ??t think so. And 2 guys who were hired due to their skills in geology and biology are unable to find their way out of a cave? man... Iâ??m glad I donâ??t live in the future with these morons because apparently the movie Idiocracy is spot on.

Jul 6 - 07:28 AM

Czyczaro Rockatansky

Czyczaro Rockatansky

Man, haven´t you seen the Discovery Channel before? that's what the biologists or other people related do with savage animals when they are so excited, so that scene could be accurate.

Or I'll put it this way, do you remember how Steve Irwin The Crocodile Hunter died?

Oct 29 - 08:59 PM

allister w.

allister w

Dwayne, try reading. Ebert gives very valid reasons as to why it is a great film, that has nothing to do with visuals or the attachment of Scott's rep.
It is not a narrative in the tradition sense of narrative. it is not A to Z story-telling. It is a motion picture aka visual story-telling. When does film have to merely be story-telling such as in best-selling novel-like story telling.
I see it as a series of vignettes, some intense, some sublime, which asks question and , frequently, does not offer answers. Is it an intellectual film? nah. But it is kind of pop philosophy and the stand-outs are superb casting in the characters. A great cast.

Jul 7 - 08:50 AM

Nanie Bruce

Nanie Bruce

Come to (ray365.com), a large amount of the latest free HD movies without having to download directly online viewing.No pop-up ads.

Oct 11 - 01:38 AM

Tom Martin

Tom Martin

according to people with an imagination and good taste it is. don't have to explain **** to "idiots" why they lack those qualities.

Jun 11 - 03:59 PM

Nanie Bruce

Nanie Bruce

Oct 11 - 01:38 AM

A Wise M.

A Wise Man

Go back to Twilight.

Jun 12 - 10:19 AM

Nanie Bruce

Nanie Bruce

Oct 11 - 01:38 AM

This comment has been removed.

Eric Basinger

Eric Basinger

"Nothing happened"? bro, you smoking bath salts?

Jun 13 - 12:05 PM

Brian Roberts

Brian Roberts

^ I loled.

Jun 19 - 09:49 AM

Juan Colmenares

Juan Colmenares

well something happened, but it was so predictable... and boooring

Jun 24 - 01:48 PM

Emily R.

Emily Rose

Dear Lauren,

Paid review = paid review.

What I want to know is where do I sign up and get paid to blow smoke out my bunghole?

Jun 28 - 02:10 PM

allister w.

allister w

Lauren D, read the review.

Jul 7 - 08:44 AM

Cornelius Carroll

Cornelius Carroll

Well put.

Jun 8 - 06:49 PM

Nicholas Moore

Nicholas Moore

Looks like the two movie critics who's opinions matter most out of all other film critics loved the film giving it the highest rating a film could get. That's nice to know.

Jun 8 - 08:47 PM

Matthew Beech

Matthew Beech

Best review of this movie. I agree with all 5 words. Fantastic film!!

Jun 8 - 10:28 PM

Shane Zeagman

Shane Zeagman

Word. Word. Word. Word. Word.

Jun 8 - 11:00 PM

Thradar

Neal U

Wow. 5/5 from Roeper and 4/4 from Ebert? The big guns are on fire.

I saw it and give it a 3.5/4. I put aside some of the flaws and just looked at it as pure entertainment. That's all movies are. The 5 of us who went were all very entertained and had a lot of fun.

Jun 9 - 12:01 AM

Andrew Daniels

Andrew Daniels

That's really what the movies are about. I wouldn't care for most of Hollywood's new titles if it weren't for the experience of going to see them with friends. Sometimes I forget that movies are about entertainment and I get too caught up in my disillusionment when I try to find the art in them.

Jun 10 - 01:36 AM

Dwayne Strickland II

Dwayne Strickland II

Honestly no offense, because you seem like a cool upbeat person. But by using your ideology of looking past the flaws and viewing it as pure entertainment, then there are no such thing as bad movies. Because you can find entertainment in anything. I mean, how many movies have you seen where the movie is so bad that it becomes funny? Actually Prometheus comes to mind here especially the "pregnancy events" in the movie where I almost walked out. I guess I had trouble finding it funny because I was REALLY wanting the movie to be good so there was a major disappointment factor. But if I ever see it again I'll try to just view it as funny and probably will enjoy it more. So thank you. Sincerely, I think I did just take it too seriously so thanks... I think you're right.

Jun 11 - 09:32 AM

Max Miesemer

Max Miesemer

the "pregnancy events" as you call them are a connection to the first Alien. actually its pretty much the exact same thing as Alien and Aliens. so unless you thought those two movies compared to Jason X then you might have a point, which you don't.

Jun 11 - 07:34 PM

Nanie Bruce

Nanie Bruce

Oct 11 - 01:39 AM

Bertram Krogh

Bertram Krogh

I am impressed with your and Mr. Eberts reviews of this film. Both perfect ratings, wow.
I would give it a 3/4 myself. I thought it relied a little too much on shock horror, and I didnt care for the characters, except Fassbenders David, but I like how it raised so many questions and couldnt answer a single one of them.

Jun 9 - 01:37 AM

Ryan Wilson

Ryan Wilson

Finally someone who can respect a person's opinion....

Jun 9 - 09:25 PM

Honore Schlief

Honore Schlief

I very much loved the movie, but there were just so many damned holes in it......arg.

Jun 9 - 03:57 AM

This comment has been removed.

Nommconf

Narakmelon -

Holy rage-boner, Batman. Don't have a stroke.

Jun 10 - 01:23 AM

Justin Daugherty

Justin Daugherty

You ARE aware you can appreciate other things about a film than just having airtight continuity, right? Atmosphere, acting, action, wit, dialogue, philosophy, ALL of those things are void when there are plot holes?

Jun 17 - 02:10 AM

Evan Ringle

Evan Ringle

I think they're questions left unanswered, not holes.

Jun 11 - 07:27 PM

Ocram Immorto

Ocram Immorto

Duh, these people can't use their imagination for brilliant sci fi elements XD

Aug 10 - 07:59 PM

Nanie Bruce

Nanie Bruce

Oct 11 - 01:39 AM

Jason Kirchin

Jason Kirchin

The sound score was way out of place that uplifting music they would play constantly was horrid and didnt fit the film at all. The horror/action was non existant totaling maybe 10 mins of the movie which was shocking considering Alien and Aliens were emotional roller coasters.......I was really looking forward to this movie but it didnt deliver, the ideas in it were great but it was one giant tease I wouldn't give it anymore then a 3/5 and a deeply flawed 3/5 at that.

Jun 9 - 04:22 AM

Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson

How long has it been since you've seen Alien? Not much action in that one, at all... Aliens is a combat film (by a different director)... Perhaps your expectations were skewed going in

Jun 9 - 07:21 AM

Jason Kirchin

Jason Kirchin

Alien was slow for the first hour but it built up and felt more like an emotional roller coaster. This is the problem I had quoted from Damon L.

We pushed the Alien stuff, like the facehugging, chestbursting and the acid for blood stuff down. Weâ??ve seen that before, we love it but weâ??ve seen enough movie about that

Jun 9 - 08:05 AM

BSTHEDOG

Sam Scaglione

As Roeper himself points out in the full review, most people go wrong when they compare this movie to alien

Jun 9 - 03:51 PM

This comment has been removed.

Mark Propst

Mark Propst

"Last Night with Your Mom", I believe.

Jun 9 - 11:44 PM

Onion Rovirosa

Onion Rovirosa

you must like your films covered in spandex

Jun 10 - 05:55 AM