Critic Review - Richard Roeper.com

Brilliant. Epic. Haunting. Grotesque. Great.

Richard Roeper.com
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

JC Martel

JC Martel

Edited !

Jun 9 - 01:57 PM

Paul Z.

Paul Zamost

Biggest letdown since Hannibal, this should of been Epic, it wasn't!

Jun 9 - 03:21 PM

Tom Martin

Tom Martin

well the source material wasn't that good either, i don't blame Scott, he added style to it.

Jun 16 - 03:49 PM

SolarisDeschain

Andrew Cook

I don't know what's funnier about the reader comments to the reviews of Prometheus. The laughably stupid and poorly written criticisms they offer or the laughably stupid Alien and Predator fanboy whining.

Jun 9 - 05:49 PM

Simon L.

Simon Lee

Mr. Roeper,
You are one of the BETTER critics that get straight to the point, instead of trying to impress readers with superfluous vocab and overlong syntax, in attempt to explain a bloated analysis that makes no sense.

Jun 9 - 06:30 PM

A.Lee

A Williams

Oh man, I could not agree more!

Jun 9 - 06:51 PM

Dan Wolters

Dan Wolters

I agree that this movie is probably one of the best ones this year. However, I know for a fact that a LOT of people hated it, walking out of the theater.
And the comment most common was "I did't understand anything that was happening". This leads me to believe that most people (at least in my area) went to see it just to get a fix of some sci-fi horror. Without the references from Alien, knowing the Alien mythos by heart, and CARING deeply about it, I understand how the movie would seem bland and random.

It was like people slammed the very scenes and events that piqued my interest the most, and made me do lots of drawn out "O----h" and " Wooow".

But nonetheless, assuming I'm right in my assessment, it can only mean that Prometheus does in fact NOT stand on it's own.

Jun 9 - 07:43 PM

Opi F.

Opi Fan

I'm a HUGE fan of the original film and am very well versed in the mythology and I still found the film an enormous letdown. It just isn't very well written. It's full of plot contrivances and illogical elements. Characters don't act like real people or make sensible decisions. The dialogue is weak and the overall themes that are developed and hinted at are pretty hackneyed imho. Even the soundtrack sucked (and the original soundtrack from Alien is brilliant).

Jun 9 - 08:52 PM

Onion Rovirosa

Onion Rovirosa

IS NOT ALIEN!!! IS NOT AN ALIEN PREQUEL!!! IT HAPPENS IN THE SAME UNIVERSE OF ALIEN, THATS IT.
THE MOVIE WAS FANTASTIC!!

MAKE ME AFAVOR AND GO WATCH AVENGER 10 MORE TIMES.
I WILL ENJOY THIS

Jun 10 - 06:00 AM

Jin Juice

Jin Juice

Actually it's a PRE-PREQUEL to the ALIEN movies. Prometheus is the name of the ship they were trying to find ALIEN. so, you sir don't know what the hell youre talking about. Movie was a huge disappointment, they practically butchered the Alien Franchise.

Jun 10 - 10:20 AM

Brian Roberts

Brian Roberts

Jin J -

You are wrong. The Nostromos picked up a beacon that was of unknown origin. They were not looking for anything, they were headed back home.

The Nostromos picked up the beacon and was instructed to investigate.

Jun 19 - 10:03 AM

Ausautas V.

Ausautas V.

Just judging this movie as a standalone, I kept thinking "What are these idiots doing now?".

I think "The Three Stooges in Orbit" was more plausible, but I concede that "Prometheus" had improved production values.

Jun 18 - 02:06 AM

Grand M.

Grand Mesa

If you know this movie sucked, then what in hell are you trying to say?

Jul 8 - 05:48 AM

Lindsey Bussie

Lindsey Bussie

To anyone who didn't enjoy this movie because it wasn't what they thought it was going to be. How can it be a letdown while being predictable? Can you not receive what you thought you were going to see in a predictable way? Your chastising Scott for give you something wholly new to a series because its not a new idea? I'm sorry to hear that some people didn't enjoy aliens 5 (or 7 if your counting a vs p) because I think they missed a great Prometheus 1 while they pouted.

Jun 9 - 08:35 PM

Jin Juice

Jin Juice

You do know they butchere dthe Xenomorph race, right? that race has been around longer than Humans. Also AVP Wars have been going on for ages and ages....if anything I was surprised that the Xenomorphs were already on the planet...unless you want to count the mutated snakes?

The movie is afull of flaws, and it defeats the purpose of the sequels if this is a an origins story....Xenomorphs were NOT created through humans...Besides the F/x being great, the movie has plotholes, and creates more questions that it cant answer, and the script is written by the idiot from LOST....I dont even know if they knew what the hell they were trying to explain.

Jun 10 - 10:24 AM

Jake Bussie

Jake Bussie

Maybe Scott wanted to set the story straight. He started it, why can't he undo what others did? Also, its fucking fiction. Before you said the bullshit to follow did you think it would come across in a way that would make anyone value your opinion?

"You do know they butchere dthe Xenomorph race, right? that race has been around longer than Humans. Also AVP Wars have been going on for ages and ages."

Nerd. Its awesome to me that you will enjoy so little in life because this is how your mind works. Stay perfect.

Jun 10 - 09:26 PM

Neal Curtis

Neal Curtis

Jin J-- I swear that I aptly criticized one of your posts here...but I don't see it anymore. Did you delete your post--and hence my post along with it--and then re-post your comment, taking my corrections and criticisms into account? Because suddenly it seems you might understand the root word "morph," and I think you were having trouble with it before.

Jun 10 - 10:14 PM

James Heywood

James Heywood

To be fair, I don't know what AVP has to do with this film.

Jun 11 - 12:17 AM

Justin DiGesu

Justin DiGesu

Your opinion immediately became invalid the second you typed the letters 'AVP'. 0/10 on the troll job, bro.

Jun 11 - 02:59 PM

Vince Hicks

Vince Hicks

Yeah if you are using crap like the Alien vs Predator movies and saying that it contradicts them, your gripes are already invalid. Cameron had nothing to do with those and wisely just ignored their existence.

Jun 11 - 05:26 PM

Emerald1234S

Stephen Murphy

Who? Sorry?

Jun 12 - 03:01 PM

Opi F.

Opi Fan

Brilliant? Hardly.

Lacklustre. Clunky. Lame. B-movie. Drivel.

Jun 9 - 08:45 PM

Eric Basinger

Eric Basinger

derp.

Jun 13 - 12:27 PM

Fletch Rainey

Fletch Rainey

Top Critic???? Gimme a break! The 4th word you use is the ONLY one that applies. Puh-leeze.

I just got home from seeing it and I'm asking myself STILL....."WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT???" For the record, "A movie...is A STORY....told through the medium of moving pictures. Whether film or digital moving pictures...there's supposed to be A STORY. You know....beginning....middlâ??e....end. No story here. Not ONE character made me care about them one way or the other....and so much of it just didn't make any damn sense like the whole pregnancy thing. WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT???? What was the point??? And who the hell believed one second of that abortion machine. LOL I'm sorry...but if that's the best Ridley Scott can do with a quarter BILLION dollars...somebody needs to give ME that money. Jeezus.

Peace.

Jun 9 - 09:44 PM

Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson

I would not agree with that at all... A movie does not need to have a beginning, middle and end, nor does it need to follow any kind of linear path. You may prefer films like that, but it certainly isn't required... I would consider that a matter of taste.

Jun 10 - 07:13 AM

Patrick F.

Patrick Falzer

LOL. Needs a "beginning, middle and end" Go watch "Memento." It's "somewhat" of a critically acclaimed movie that almost lacks all of those.

(Saying "somewhat" sarcastically, cause it's a brilliant film)

Jun 10 - 07:38 AM

Carlos Mejia

Carlos Mejía

Do not watch The Tree of Life. ;o)

Jun 10 - 08:07 AM

Eric Basinger

Eric Basinger

if you didn't care for the robot, then you aren't human.

Jun 13 - 12:32 PM

Will Bigelow

Will Bigelow

This movie was a Sci-Fi masterpiece!

Jun 9 - 10:00 PM

Fletch Rainey

Fletch Rainey

I think you mean master piece of shit.

Jun 9 - 10:15 PM

Connor Rilling

Connor Rilling

Dude leave the movie alone, just because you didn't like it for your own stupid reasons doesn't mean you have to make it out like it's the worst movie ever made. Get over yourself and think long and hard about why some peoples opinions CAN be different from your own. Go fuck yourself.

Jun 11 - 12:23 PM

tim c.

tim campbell

Will B, are you a bot?

Jun 10 - 01:16 AM

Jin Juice

Jin Juice

YEs, a total piece of master shit!

Jun 10 - 10:28 AM

Eric Basinger

Eric Basinger

you are a Masterdebater.

Jun 13 - 12:34 PM

Victor Ariel Vasquez Nolasco

Victor Ariel Vasquez Nolasco

there you go Richard (; that´s why I am a fan of yours

Jun 9 - 11:54 PM

tim c.

tim campbell

Spoiler Alert ------------------------------

Prometheus is riddled with stupid and meaningless script. I've listed 10 situations that occurred over about 1 hour of the movie that were painful to watch. I have to agree with others that have said this is a B movie.

1) Holloway removes his helmet after being told not to. Then everyone else removes their helmet.
2) David sticks his fingers in goo and pushes buttons without any discussion. He does this often.
3) Two party members choose to return to the ship early... and get lost.
4) At the 2000 year old dead alien David opens the door in a manner which causes the audience to moan in disappointment.
5) In the future we lack weather forecasting. A sudden storm sparks the crew to leave relative safety and rush back to the ship. The storm 'pursues' them to the ship where Shaw almost dies.
6) Shaw reanimates the 2000 year old head because, apparently, she can. For this magic trick they gain guacamole.
7) David infects Holloway with an alien bio weapon because, apparently, he can. David gains nothing except one less wiseass human.
8) The two lost crew members find a pile of dead aliens then receive a momentary report of a life form in their surroundings which they wisely move away from. Later they find an alien snake which Millburn finds cute and tries to touch. He draws back when the snake 'hisses' at him. Millburn tries to touch it again...
9) Holloway realizes he's infected and says nothing. Later when his situation appears hopeless he chooses to die painfully by fire rather than... simply removing his helmet.
10) Shaw attempts to have a C-section done by an automated surgical tanning booth which only carries procedures for men. They've got David and interstellar flight but this booth only knows male anatomy.

There's plenty more where these 10 came from.

Jun 10 - 02:03 AM

Liam H.

Liam Ho

7) Ordered by Weyland to essentially when he was to told to "try harder". David even asked Holloway permission to do it.

10) It appears that surgical machine was basically meant for Weyland. The machine didn't automatically do the C-Section she basically had to do it manually. It might have been programmed just for a male but that doesn't mean it can't perform female oriented procedures manually.

Jun 10 - 02:50 AM

Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson

Yeah... most of the questions are answered in the film. Also, most of your problems involve the motives of an android - not a human.... and Android programmed by the insanely wealthy man who owns the company that becomes the "villain" of the Alien franchise. As a movie-goer why would you expect the intentions of an android to be spelled out for you?
This is a sci-fi film, which means you simply have to go with some of the tech... do you also question how hyper drive works in Star Wars? If they set out to explain every tech device in the film it would have been 6 hours.
I don't think it's uncommon at all for people to hide their infection from others in hopes that it isn't as bad as they think... Once it progresses to the point where he knows his own death is certain, he sacrifices his life to ensure the safety of his lover.

Jun 10 - 07:21 AM

John Parle

John Parle

Jermey, Rapace overpowers two people, has a squid aborted - that's all good, as you point out it's sci-fi - but afterwards neither she nor anyone else mentions the horrific and bizarre thing that's just happened. That's what you call IMPLAUSIBLE. You can ignore one or two silly episodes but when they stack up, you lose the audience. The squid abortion aftermath was the point when I couldn't ignore it any more. As some people have suggested maybe the editing is to blame, we'll see.

Jun 12 - 06:26 AM

G P.

G P

yeah, she sets the machine to "remove foreign body from stomach" complete with grabby arm, as if that's a common procedure that needed to be programmed in

Jun 12 - 11:32 AM

Onion Rovirosa

Onion Rovirosa

YOU SIR. Prove my point. Go back to watch Spandex movies.
All those dumb questions have clear answers.
You just want to join the hate wagon.

Jun 10 - 06:04 AM

Steven Bolin

Steven Bolin

Love it! Excellent observations. Thank you for articulating them.

Jun 10 - 02:34 PM

James Heywood

James Heywood

1) They established the air was breathable...
2) David's a freaken android and is following Weyland's agenda.
3) Fifield and Milburn getting lost doesn't make the film bad, they just got lost, lazy writing, sure, but it's rather minor.
4) what?
5) Hey, you know what? How boring would this have been. "Hey guys you have to get back early because there's a storm coming in 2 hours".
6) So you're saying you can't believe in future scientific advancements?
7) He was told by Weyland to pretty much do anything necessary to help him... I think you just missed that part.
8) That was again, lazy, but I enjoyed that scene, it's not anything you haven't seen in Alien, people doing silly things to advance the plot.
9) Holloway is his own character, maybe you would tell someone, but he didn't want to place that burden on the expedition. It was, after all made clear that it's a pretty important expedition.
10) That was made PERFECTLY clear as to what was happening. Let me go through it for you: the machine said it was configured for males, so she went to Abdominal --> remove foreign body. She even said this out loud.

Jun 11 - 12:29 AM

BSTHEDOG

Sam Scaglione

Hmm, the only ones I had problems with while watching the movie were with the two dumb-shits...

Jun 11 - 11:10 AM

tim c.

tim campbell

Thanks for the replies and trying to help me to understand. Unfortunately you can't help. I may not be the brightest bulb but I do get stuff in sci-fi movies. Also, to Jeremy A and Onion R, my list of 10 things above aren't questions.

There are several problems with this movie. One big problem is, for me, the story is too unbelievable and stupid for pretty much the entire movie. Examples of what is unbelievable/stupid have been given by me and others. You may not agree, but you must at least agree that quite a few people point out the same parts of the movie as unbelievable or stupid. These parts degrade the rest of the movie for the viewer.

Removing the helmets on the first trip out is a prime example of the crews stupid behavior. Throughout the movie they neglect basic sanitation and safety. Yes the air was deemed breathable but there are lots of other common sense reasons to keep the helmets on, like not getting sick. If they had kept their helmets on then, with certainty, Holloway would have had to have been infected ON THE Prometheus.

Another scene no one else has pointed out was Shaw and Vickers running from the rolling ship. It was like a rolling wheel and they ran directly away _in_ the wheel's path. At one point Shaw trips, rolls a couple times to her right and lives. Vickers just had to take a few strides one way or the other to avoid being road kill but doesn't! Kind of funny really.

I gave Prometheus a 6/10 and I believe a fair number of the people I know would agree with me (but not everyone).

Jun 13 - 12:53 PM

suslik

Steve Suslik

I too am very forgiving of movies...the willing suspension of disbelief is essential to enjoy any movie. I am glad that many enjoyed Prometheus; I wish I could have as well, but when I leave the theater not caring one bit about any of the characters (loving them, hating them, calling them names) then it's just a waste of money and my time. Battleship is a total mess with even more flaws, but I got a kick out of it and left the movies feeling good as well as compensated for my time and money. I am amazed at how hard people are trying to justify Prometheus as a worthwhile film. A masterpiece? That is simply as far from the truth as it is believable a woman would jump in a spaceship and go searching for her creator on her own.

Jun 19 - 02:40 AM

J S.

J Sullivan

1) So what? The action caused no harm. Remember, the guys wearing the suits got fucked up, not these people.

2) He's an android. He's not sweating "catching" something. He's on a mission to save his maker *at all costs*

3) Can't argue that. Some people are just shitty navigators.

4) I don't understand your comment. Are you pissed because something obvious didn't happen, like say, an Alien jumping out going "Grrrrr, bitches!"

5) A fast moving storm. Predicting weather patterns on our planet is tough enough, and getting tougher each year as the climate changes. How are we suppose to predict the chaotic conditions on this Alien world, especially since the weather is artifially created? The engineers are terraforming that planet, in case you missed it.

6) Again, I don't see your problem here.

7) David does so, because he's under Weyland's orders to do so. Why do you think the ship was full of fuck ups? The same reason the missions were full of losers in Alien and Aliens. Weyland likes sending expendable people to die for his causes.

8) They didn't know what kind of life form was being picked up. If it was a 13 foot tall Engineer, yeah I'd move away too. The snake didn't seem scary while they were in their space suits. Would you be afraid of a snake if you were wearing a NASA space suit? I wouldn't.

9) If I were infected with an alien virus, I'd want to be burned too, and stat. Especially if I had loved ones onboard.

10) You misunderstood the machine. The machine was calibrated for a male (Weyland), but it could do surgery on males and females, provided the surgeries were not sex specific. Specifically speaking it was only calibrated for Weyland.

Jun 20 - 09:02 PM

Jason Kirchin

Jason Kirchin

people were expecting more of a haunting scary experience especially from the trailer....and instead be got mission to mars with better visuals.(which was a shitty movie).

Jun 10 - 05:09 AM

Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson

I would not agree about the Mission to Mars comparison but would agree about the trailer... but I don't blame the film or it's creator for the how the studio chose to edit a trailer. Most trailer attempt to sell to the widest audience as opposed to representing the film in a true fashion... but we should all be aware of this by now. It's fine to dislike the film but we should be beyond placing massive expectations on things because of a commercial.

Jun 10 - 07:26 AM

Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson

I get the opinion that some watched with expectations of this being like 'Alien' and it simply isn't (nor is it as good). Since the film did not match what they "wanted" it to be, they rip on it as opposed to judging the film on it's own merits and intentions. Perhaps, this is from trusting the trailer to be an accurate representation of the entire film? I doubt Scott crafted any of the 5 I've seen.

I didn't see too many plot holes that couldn't be explained in the sequel. Pieces to the puzzle are there to be found and discussed. I really don't understand the confusion about this film. Not perfect, but for me, the positives far outweighed the negatives.

Flawed to be sure and some of the dialog was pretty rough in places. The speech Elba gave towards the end was nothing but exposition and based on information he could not have had... and also the one very stupid scientist who was (apparently) looking to find a new pet.

Many have stated concerns with music, and I'd agree to some extent. I thought much of it was meant to create a sense of wonder instead of dread, which I found an odd choice.

Jun 10 - 07:11 AM

Nick Meeny

Nick Meeny

Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy A on 06-10-2012 07:11 AM

"I get the opinion that some watched with expectations of this being like 'Alien' and it simply isn't" (I doubt Scott crafted any of the 5 I've seen.

"I didn't see too many plot holes that couldn't be explained in the sequel."

Um, yeah, I kinda expect a prequel that requires the films that come after it to answer its plot-hole questions (with the same director at the helm) to be a little like those later films. You know, with a decent script, interesting characters, etc.

Call me strange...

Jun 10 - 08:26 AM

Nick Meeny

Nick Meeny

What fucking movie did you watch?

Jun 10 - 08:18 AM

Jin Juice

Jin Juice

He watched madagascar 3... this was a disappointing Stupid ass Alien-PRE-PREQUEL!

Jun 10 - 10:33 AM

Scott Clay

Scott Clay

I think some of the people complaining about plot holes and unanswered questions either didn't pay enough attention to the film or missed some of the main points/concepts of the film. We can't find all the answers, it's impossible. That was one of the main points behind the film and I thought it did a good job of leaving certain things open ended and open to interpretation.

Jun 10 - 08:59 AM

Jason P.

Jason Peters

First week of reviews, the masses "you're an idiot for saying it's a bad movie."

Second week of reviews, the masses "you're an idiot for saying it's a good movie."

90% of you haven't seen it, stop jumping on the bandwagon of hate. You aren't coming off as more intelligent. You all just look like blabbering idiots trying to get everyone to agree to one opinion. People didn't like Toy Story 3, people didn't like the Dark Knight, people liked Bucky Larson, people liked Prometheus. Get over the fact not everyone agrees with you.

Favorite part of these comments? If you don't agree with the review, it's suddenly poorly written

Al Gore dropped the ball when he invented the internet and gave people the right to express their opinion.

Jun 10 - 09:04 AM

Steven Bolin

Steven Bolin

You didn't see the film, did you?

Jun 10 - 11:08 AM