Critic Review - indieWIRE

While I was completely engrossed in 'Prometheus', I felt a tug-of-war going on between the cerebral and visceral elements, right up to the finale.

June 14, 2012 Full Review Source: indieWIRE | Comments (15)
indieWIRE

Comments

Jay H.

Jay Hael

"Cerebral" surely you must be joking. There was nothing cerebral about this movie unless you think un-original ideas about human origin are "cerebral." Sets were beautiful and acting was ok (again the andriod steals the show). But the writers and director should be drummed out of Hollywood for ruining a great idea.

Jun 15 - 12:36 PM

James Williams

James Williams

yet you're still talking about it...hmm

Jun 15 - 03:30 PM

Abdul Haq

Abdul Haq

The characters' motivations were too cerebral and the whole impetus for the story line to boot. I mean come on, who would think about such things on a mission to make first contact? Maybe the android. The human crew would be nothing but nerves, "Am I safe?" "Will I ever see home again?" "What's out there lurking in the dark?" "Is something going to eat me?" Not, "Who made us and where do we come from?" Give me a break!

Jun 23 - 11:06 AM

Jose J.

Jose Jose

Saw it last night.
So many flaws.
1.) Why the hell didn't they start the movie, with an alien, popping out of, an "Engineer's" Chest.
2.) I don't care if it is "provocative"
3.) God made us. There. Now SHOW ME ALIENS !!!

Jun 20 - 05:58 AM

Joey Navarro

Joey Navarro

1) Because then the movie wouldn't have had such a perfect ending. It had a huge shock factor to it.
2)...?
3) No.

Jun 20 - 02:53 PM

Trevor Ludlow

Trevor Ludlow

Jose J while the script is not perfect, I'm glad you didn't write it.

Jun 20 - 06:13 PM

Matt Owens

Matt Owens

It was showing the Origin of the aliens as we know them, So doing that in the beginning would have ended the movie, It was after all, a prequel.

Jul 11 - 02:28 PM

Keyser S.

Keyser S

The script was poor, but the film in general was very good. The final scene and image of the film was brilliant, especially if you can't wait for the sequel.

Jun 21 - 08:43 AM

Derek Douglas

Derek Douglas

Sorry what? Cerebral, visceral oh escuseeeee meeee. The only tuging going on, is in your hand mate, the movie was terrible and your I want to sound as if I think on another level from everyone else comments sicken me!

Jun 21 - 09:32 AM

Derek Douglas

Derek Douglas

The sequel

Ridley appologising for 2 hours, then killing himself.

Jun 21 - 09:34 AM

Paul Grady

Paul Grady

The male doctor who was drinking the whole time while all the action going on was a really dumb aspect of the script,.Dont get me wrong,.I like the movie overall,.But some parts were really stupid and it pizzes me off because this movie had a chance to be great,.Idris Elba with his redneck accent was really annoying,.It just seemed like at times the cast thought they were at Camp Crystal Lake at times while there were great and awe-inspiring things going on around them,.What a pity

Jun 24 - 03:46 PM

Paul Grady

Paul Grady

Almost would have been better as a silent movie,.Stupid characters kept getting in the way of my Sci-Fi adventure,.The geologist from Mad Max( or so it seemed) was really annoying as well,.I really wish that the characters would have taken this movie serious,.Blame the writer I suppose,,.Ridley scott made a beautiful movie to look at for sure

Jun 24 - 03:50 PM

Hernando Suanico

Hernando Suanico

Agreed, Second Rate Team in a Trillion Dollar mission makes NO sense whatsoever.... Ugh, I wanted this movie to make me wonder, but not wonder where all my money went...

Jun 25 - 06:43 PM

tim c.

tim campbell

"...it doesn?t skimp on icky, gross-out moments or scenes in which characters make poor decisions that lead to their mutilation and demise?as in any tacky B movie. Watching Prometheus requires a strong stomach."

That's just one very true and heavy aspect of Prometheus that damaged my enjoyment of the movie, there are others. I'm glad Leondard mentions it though I feel his review is kinder than I would have been.

I gave Prometheus a 6/10.

Jun 26 - 07:53 AM

Marcellus Altschooler

Marcellus Altschooler

The problem is that the movie is conceptually large, on the level of 2001, not Alien, but has a lot of holes in trying to bridge those genres. Some parts just made no sense. If the Creators decide to destroy us (not totally unreasonable, its also in 3001 by AC Clarke), why not just nuke us cleanly. Why use horrible parasites? Also, why did the android infect Charlie? Why did he even bring back the vase of parasites? That was not part of the rich dude's orders. It made no sense, except to quote the android in original Alien. Then named him Dave and talk to ship's computer, like in 2001. That was cute. But the quotes have to work.

Jul 1 - 07:36 AM