Critic Review - Paste Magazine

They would have been better off channeling their inner Ellen Ripley and pulling the release to the airlock before this voyage departed.

June 15, 2012 Full Review Source: Paste Magazine | Comments (20)
Paste Magazine

Comments

Travis Touchdown

Travis Touchdown

You know you're in deep shit when Madagascar 3 is rated higher than this...

Jun 15 - 01:23 PM

Noah Camenker

Noah Camenker

Agreed.

Jun 16 - 09:04 PM

VERYNICEWEIRDO

ERIC POWELL

A cartoon got better rates because they cant handle a mature film ,they need simple spoon feed movies ,this critic thinks i bet lion king is the best movie ever 2nd place cars lol

Jun 17 - 02:26 PM

Travis Touchdown

Travis Touchdown

It would of been nice for Prometheus to answer at least the big questions that the entire film was based around. Why were we created? How were we created? Why did the engineer want to kill us? What exactly was the black goo and it's purpose? I understand that movies shouldn't be spoon fed to people, but when you have concepts that the entire film is based off of, it'd be nice to have some closure. Maybe for the sequel I guess? Regardless, it's a joke that Madagascar 3 is rated higher than this...

Jun 18 - 11:13 AM

Peter Raffel

Peter Raffel

The HELL, Travis?? They wanted to kill us with the black goo. The black goo carried the Aliens/Predators/the monsters that were featured quite a bit in the film. How we were created was shown in the beginning of the film. The one guy destroyed himself and fed the bits of himself into the water and so life could evolve from that. The ONLY question that wasn't answered was why 2x.

Aug 12 - 01:55 AM

Josh Satto

Josh Satto

The greatest of sci-fi movies don't answer all the questions. Look at Alien for example.. Why did that ship crash? What was that thing in the seat? You obviously can't comprehend what was going on. Ridley Scott purposely made unanswered questions so the sequel has something to build itself around.

Aug 30 - 05:34 PM

Alex Heschuk

Alex Heschuk

Don't agree with your opinion, but you are a damn master at making me spit out my coffee in laughter

Jun 17 - 04:46 PM

Hernando Suanico

Hernando Suanico

I don't care if Ridley Scott himself came to my HOUSE to explain the whole movie to me, cook me dinner, and rub my feet... This movie was 2 dementional... even in 3D...

Jun 17 - 10:35 PM

Terry Doyle

Terry Doyle

Oh, piffle! Prometheus is a decent sci-fi flick. It's not War and Peace nor even Alien I but it's fun in a churning sort of way. Plot takes a certain twist by the ship's captain near the end and the ending is no surprise to anyone by the time it comes.

Good acting, 3D that's not in your face with gimmickry and gorgeous sets. Noomi Rapace fergodsake, guy Pearce hidden in makeup, Michael Fassbender is simply wonderful and Charlize Theron as the ice-bitch is fine. Idris Elba as the jokey-but-authoritative captain. What's not to like?

Jun 18 - 07:46 AM

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

"What's not to like?" - Er, the recycled plot-line, inconsistent (whether it be daft or just plain nasty) behaviour of the characters and the uninspring musical score. Seriously, I expect more from so-called 'intelligent' sci-fi. Prometheus is nowhere near Alien in terms of being groundbreaking, suspense and tension or memorable. During Prometheus I found myself thinking about what I'd be doing as soon as I left the cinema, whereas Alien had me riveted by the sheer novelty and horror. Prometheus covered no new ground in epic, scale, horror and the plot wasn't that clever.

Jun 20 - 10:43 AM

Paul Grady

Paul Grady

My opinion is varied as well,Some parts great,.But there were parts not to like,.. annoying and/or ridiculous,.My biggest problem with the movie is that people are just drinking alcohol like its a vacation to Cancun,.That part was really unbelievable considering the Trillions of dollars they said were used to budget the mission,.Idris Elba with his "southern accent" was annoying I must say,.
I Would however like to see an extended version and the outtakes,.Seeemed as though the movie was edited in haste almost,.That said, I did enjoy the movie for the most part,.I guess when Ridley Scott does a movie my expectations ratchet up at least one notch

Jun 24 - 03:36 PM

Paul Grady

Paul Grady

Paul G on 06-24-2012 03:24 PM

I Would however like to see an extended version and the outtakes,.Seeemed as though the movie was edited in haste almost,.That said I did enjoy the movie for the most part,.I guess when Ridley Scott does a movie my expectations ratchet up at least one notch

Jun 24 - 03:35 PM

Tim Storer

Tim Storer

It doesn't surprise me that this movie has had some negative reviews, but thats only because I recognize that a stupid person would not appreciate this movie and there are indeed many stupid people in this world. Also, like many great movies, the trailer marketed this film as something that it is not: a shoot-em-up in space. Instead, it is a heavy sic-fi mystery suspense thriller. This dissonance could have disappointed many viewers who were there to see a different show.

However, the movie was actually amazing. It's not perfect, but it's close. The visuals were incredible -I don't think anyone can deny that. The plot made perfect sense: they had a reason for being there, and every event had a logical causation. And lastly, it was riveting.

An in-depth explanation of the events that occurred would take too long, but after some thinking post-viewing I found it possible and philosophically interesting to deduce the film. We know they created us -and presumably many other species as well. We know they had several large warships equipped with thousands of biological weapons. And we know that the planet depicted was their war station, not their home. We also know that there was a breakout as they were preparing to leave and that is why most of them were dead upon our arrival. What we don't know is exactly why we were created and (soon to be) destroyed. Thats what the woman (forget her name) came there for, and thats how the movie ended: with her going up the ladder of creation and curiosity. I found it to be a very satisfying, circular and deliberately ambiguous ending. It also sets it up perfectly for explaining the original Alien movie and for the possibility of a sequel.

In summary, this movie was excellent.

Jun 18 - 09:29 PM

Christopher Finley

Christopher Finley

Your English is excellent. How much to they pay Chinese click-farmers?

Jun 19 - 10:47 PM

Ausautas V.

Ausautas V.

"every event had a logical causation"

RE
That causation being that most of the characters were idiots from a C-grade slasher flick. "Don't go in there dummy! You'll get killed! DUH!"

Jun 21 - 03:56 AM

Travis Touchdown

Travis Touchdown

haha agreed. The characters were so dumb. Don't you think they'd bring more logical people on a gazillion dollar expedition?

Jun 22 - 04:55 PM

Tim Storer

Tim Storer

In summary, this movie was excellent.

Jun 18 - 09:29 PM

Robert Tarantino

Paul Green

My take on the movie was that the engineer at the beginning either realized he couldn't go through with the plan of wiping out life on Earth and killed himself along with the sample OR maybe that is how new life was generated. Each time the goo interacted with a new life form something else was created. I'd like to think it was the first idea. The last engineer was simply trying to finish the job. Maybe because they saw the experiment as tainted, flawed or the result was not what they expected. Obviously this is conjecture. But to me that made more sense. But given that Madagascar 3 made more money, maybe we are tainted...

Jun 19 - 12:02 AM

Jose J.

Jose Jose

Saw it last night.
So many flaws.
1.) Why the hell didn't they start the movie, with an alien, popping out of, an "Engineer's" Chest.
2.) I don't care if it is "provocative"
3.) God made us. There. Now SHOW ME ALIENS !!!

Jun 20 - 05:58 AM

Joseph Pravda

Joseph Pravda

No wonder I've never heard of you...........view 'Ancient Aliens', dweeb.

Jun 22 - 08:58 AM

shadypotential

Chris Cox

shut up old pedo guy

Jun 22 - 10:52 PM

Amanda Andrews

Amanda Andrews

North Carolina

Jun 26 - 02:04 AM

Hans S.

Georg Pauwen

The first thing that should have been airlocked was the main female character. No way any alien race would create something so butt-ugly. Then again, they also created Charlize Theron...mmmh...not bad. For the rest, I only had to watch the trailer to know that this movie sucked big time. This happens when old directors go back to their early stuff (look at the horrible Star Wars prequels), where nobody dares to tell them that maybe what they are doing is not so good. Kind of similar to Joe Montana going back to SF to be their new QB. The only difference is that old Joe is smart enough to understand that he is done.

Jun 30 - 12:35 PM