Critic Review - 3AW

Ridley Scott's long-awaited prequel-of-sorts to his game-changing 1979 classic sci-fi terror ride Alien is not only conceptually lame and badly made, it's actually worse than Alien Resurrection.

June 25, 2012 Full Review Source: 3AW | Comments (35)

Comments

Colin Tzshand

Colin Tzshand

It was not worse then Alien Resurrection that would be an insurmountable task in fact.

Jun 29 - 02:37 PM

William J.

William Johnsten

You seriously criticize Michael Fassbender's performance in this? I don't care how you see the film, but your f*cking stupid if that's what you truly believe.

And by the way, the film is better than Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection. This critic is dud.

Jun 29 - 09:17 PM

Blar G.

Blar Ghly

Criticizing the illogical and poorly written character is not the same as criticizing the performance.

Jun 30 - 08:39 PM

Bill Shannon

Bill Shannon

Try reading the whole review for once.

Jul 8 - 01:01 PM

Niklas D.

Niklas Delacroix

He specifically criticized the actors performances. Read the damn review.

Sep 27 - 12:35 AM

Julian McEwen

Julian McEwen

The performances were great. The Characters were pathetic... at best. The critic is spot on.

Jul 5 - 05:28 AM

Bill Shannon

Bill Shannon

Alien didn't have deep characters, so I guess it makes them pathetic also. Dumbass

Jul 8 - 01:03 PM

Lucy Gross

Lucy Gross

You idiot. This movie bastardizes the Alien franchise and depth of emotion/character development of the first Alien. Alien wasn't amazing because it was scary, but because it was sci-fi that seemed plausible and one could relate to. This movie is a campy rip-off of his own movie. At least the lame robot likes good movies, like Lawrence of Arabia!

Oct 11 - 08:23 PM

Evan Cook

Evan Cook

This critic is spot on. He's right in his comparison that we were short changed a decent story (the scripting was really, really terrible) just like with the Phantom Menace.

Yes, Michael Fassbender was the most human person on the damn crew even though he's a robot. His character was bad, so he didn't have much to work with, but his character was still unbelievable due to the watcher constantly asking "Did Michael know that would happen?"

This critic nailed it.

Jun 30 - 01:48 AM

Sam Constance

Sam Constance

Every person who compares this movie to Phantom Menace is a mental midget.

It's just not an apt comparison. At. All.

Jul 27 - 02:24 PM

Walter Mehrer

Walter Mehrer

"like"

Oct 27 - 08:16 AM

Iain Mcmanus

Iain Mcmanus

please dont compare this film to phantom menace you fool!

Aug 28 - 09:05 AM

Nathan Brookes

Nathan Brookes

Fair enough it's not as great as one would have hoped, but to say this is a BAD film? If you really didn't enjoy it, then I would hazard that you enjoy precious little in life.

Jun 30 - 07:25 PM

Blar G.

Blar Ghly

I enjoy plenty in life, but I did not enjoy Prometheus because it was frankly idiotic. The behavior of pretty much all the characters was absurd (really, the atmosphere is breathable, so you take off your helmet? these people are SCIENTISTS?!?), the plot has more holes than Swiss cheese, and it leaves far more questions than any movie should. This movie was a huge disappointment, and was insulting to any intelligent viewer.

Jun 30 - 08:38 PM

Ambien Barry

Ambien Barry

Absolutely dead on Blar G.

Hey, let me stick my boot in this goo and see what happens?

Hey, let me stick my face in this object coming up out of the goo!

"Yes, this looks like an artificially made structure."

Hey, lets take on an attack posture at this hemispheric mountain looking structure!

etc. etc. etc...

No discussion about obvious risks are countless.

I'm all for disconnecting myself from reality but this movie insulted my intelligence left and right from the beginning.

Jul 6 - 06:22 PM

Bill Shannon

Bill Shannon

A majority of the fans and critics enjoyed it over hating it, so I guess your critical analysis is useless, Fake Critic

Jul 8 - 01:05 PM

Hailey Whitestone

Hailey Whitestone

It would be hard for me to agree with you more on this one. The film had such potential, and it started out so hauntingly well. Perhaps that is why my dissapointment grew so rapidly as the story progressed. Between the adolescent persona's of the main characters, the logical plot lines and the yoyo drama - I was really left quite pissed off at the end of it all. The only character I enjoyed, quite frankly, was Theron's.

If there is to be a sequel they had better pull their darn socks up and get their nose out of their asses.

Jul 9 - 01:25 AM

Kalashnikov T Velcro

K V

perhaps it's worth considering the possibility that the actions of the characters don't necessarily represent the views of the film maker.

Sep 28 - 09:23 AM

Mike Scarpiello

Mike Scarpiello

My only issue was how bad the old man's make up was!

Jul 3 - 05:37 AM

Zach Wisz

Zach Wisz

Well, I'm sure there are other 120 year old men out there who could have fit the part perfectly...

Oct 11 - 11:01 AM

Rodney S.

Rodney Sibert

It is a bit goofy and the writing is really bad, but I was totally engrossed while watching. I didn't care for Noomi Rapace's acting and Charlize Theron's character was woefully one-note (always angry). I think a lot of people have problems with it because audiences today need everything explained to them, this film leaves so many things unexplained (what does the black goo actually do, why do our creators want to destroy us) and that's what I liked about it.

Jul 5 - 06:06 AM

Iain Mcmanus

Iain Mcmanus

wasn't it obvious what the "black goo" did? i mean there was two diffrent people infected by it... watch the movie better.

Aug 28 - 09:10 AM

Rita Lopez

Rita Lopez

really bad writing.................

Jul 6 - 04:05 AM

Patrick McGlynn

Patrick McGlynn

dud review for sure

Jul 6 - 01:25 PM

Ambien Barry

Ambien Barry

I saw it 3D-Imax and while visually it was outstanding it might have been better 2D because it had no depth.

How does this movie get 73% positive rating? I seriously question movie reviewers these days. This script came close to Star Wars II bad.

Jul 6 - 06:27 PM

Kathryn Linkjendal

Kathryn Linkjendal

Impossible. Nothing is worse than the last two Alien films. Not even the third installment of The Godfather.

Jul 6 - 09:46 PM

Nikki Harris Sarvary

Nikki Harris Sarvary

Please do not compare Alien Resurrection to Prometheus. Two completely different directors and quite appalled you didn't do your homework.

Jul 6 - 09:46 PM

Ben Rosenblatt

Ben Rosenblatt

Not quite spot on (doesn't give Michael enough credit) but I am appalled at the amount of fanboyism that has given this film a good name. It was bad. Alien Resurrection was better because it at least did not take itself seriously, and the aliens were far better in that movie than in this one. This movie had no substance, and the only terror I felt was in disappointing the date I had brought to see it

Jul 7 - 08:36 AM

Jesse Mace

Jesse Mace

attempts to justify this flop by comparing its similarities to alien is pure desparation. alien was scary and entertaining. this film was neither. alien 3 was great minus a few dumb parts. i think the critic is spot on. and i have enjoyed all slien movies including the underated avps. this film is a total exercise in fantasy, that is pretending that it's watchable because it's part of the franchise and because rid scott did it.

Jul 13 - 07:08 PM

Tinseltine

Le Anne Lindsay

I saw the story holes. And Scott knew he was taking a risk on pleasing "Alien" lovers. But for me, I was just looking for some alien beings, speculation on the existence of God and origins of man, ancient myths, prophecies, hieroglyphics, space travel, a lot of goo, birthing alien babies and an unnerving robot - that's what I got and I loved it!

Jul 15 - 06:57 PM

James A.

James Allard

AND there I am. Ditto, dead on, and a grand, fun ride. Apparently, though, there is a friendly bit of trash talk between Scott and Cameron...

Jul 16 - 03:06 AM

Chris Palau

Chris Palau

WRONG!!!

Oct 6 - 02:33 PM

Matthew Gill

Matthew Gill

I just wish Scott would come clean and state that it's a remake of the 1st Alien film.

Oct 8 - 12:37 PM