Proof - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Proof Reviews

February 11, 2013
Paltrow shimmers and shines in this look at real inheritance, what the DNA leaves, as Pop (Hopkins, dynamite) is a math genius who, ummm, loses track, shall we say. Will the daughter follow in Pop's enormous footsteps ... in each and every way? Tension aplenty with a great supporting cast. Pretty damn good if you ask me.
hunterjt13
½ July 19, 2012
The daughter of a brilliant mathematician must convince her new beau and her domineering sister that she wrote an important mathematical document.
We don't care about the proof, the film's main source of conflict; director John Madden knows few in the audience are smart enough to care about theoretical math and physics. So what's left? Proof has to compel us with the interpersonal drama Catherine's relationship with her dead father and her sister and boyfriend who grow to doubt her sanity. But from very early on, we know there's no reason to doubt Catherine, so we're left waiting for the film to catch up to the audience, and thus the film loses its reason to compel us to care about these characters. Gwyneth Paltrow, who conjures her Sylvia character in her depressive moments, occasionally gives us reason to pay attention to Catherine's struggles, but especially when she raises her voice, Catherine, in Paltrow's hands, comes off as annoyingly disinterested and unengaged with manic bouts of petulance. It's hard to like Paltrow, and it's even harder to be interested in Catherine.
Overall, I found Proof to be structurally flawed, and the film's star certainly didn't shine.
½ May 27, 2007
I cried when Jake Gyllenhaal didn't believe that Gwyneth Paltrow wrote the proof. So sue me. It was sad.I love that you don't know where this movie is going until it gets there. I turned cold when Gwyneth Paltrow read out Anthony Hopkins' "proof."
½ July 18, 2011
This film has so much going for it. Gwyneth Paltrow plays the lead role, Anthony Hopkins is a minor, but important, supporting character, and the premise has tons of potential. This film wants so bad to be "A Beautiful Mind", but it has some serious problems with the direction its plot moves. Everything about the story begs for less Jake Gyllenhaal, who wasn't bad, and Hope Davis, who was awful every time she was on screen. Their characters are given far too much focus. Paltrow's character, the ostensibly interesting, complex protagonist, is still a mystery to the viewer by the end of the film. The story begs to go in one direction but the plot strays away. It's not a *bad* film, but it's certainly not a good one. I didn't love "A Beautful Mind", but at least that film had a good idea of how this type of story needs to be told.
½ February 17, 2006
I can see what it tried to do, it just didn't do it well. It wasn't in depth enough and the drama about who wrote the Proof wasn't dramatic enough. Good performances, just a poor script.
deano
December 19, 2006
This film was good and it's about death, love, and mental incapacity. This is a bit familiar of the story I have seen on screen before in such fine film as A Beautiful Mind.
Gwyneth Paltrow is spectacular in her gut-wrenching, emotional roller coaster of a role. The assembled supporting cast is impressive in name; however, Sir Anthony Hopkins is solid, but not great in the relatively small, but crucial role as Paltrow's once genius, then insane, now dead father. His influence on her life is beyond question and how she deals is the heart of the story. Jake Gyllenhaal, although a fine actor, is totally miscast as Hopkins' former student who tries to secure the legacy. Hope Davis is perfect as the irritating sister of Paltrow who has "been working 14 hour days" for 5 years while Paltrow cared for dear old nutty dad.
cosmo313
June 9, 2006
I'm not a math person, and, even though there's lots of math in this film, and it's about math people, it's not really "about" math, get it? It's about academics, and the weight of genius. Those are things I get. Both broad topics in this film have previously been seen in A Beautiful Mind. This movie is not a retread of that. It is similar, but altogether different.

I really liked this. Some of the specifics went over my head, but one can know nothing about math and still get this movie and be entertained or moved by it. This is a lot better than I expected, and I liked it more than I thought I would. This is a small-character dirven piece (based on a four character play) that's mostly light on plot. but I love this kind of stuff. The material and the acting are what really carry things. They basically have to. There's nothing really cinematic going on ehre, but that's okay. It's been slightly expanded, and there are a few cinematic type flousihes here and there, but this is all about the characters.

The acting is brilliant. Aside from The Royal Tenenbaums, I really didn't have much to say about Paltrow. I knew she was a good actress, but this confirms that she's really great. She's great at playing a tortured withdrawn person who's hopelessly isolated from the world in ultiple ways. I didn't really like the character played by Hope Davis, but she's also great. All of the perforers are. Given that this is about kooky academics, it reminded me of that other siilart film which featured Gyllenhaal's doppleganger Tobey Maguire (Wonder Boys). He's getting really good at these types of roles. Anthony Hopkins has played crazy before, but not like this.

Give this one a chance. It's not something I would watch all the time, but I wouldn't mind seeing it every once in a while.
LWOODS04
½ August 9, 2009
Anne Wittman, Anthony Hopkins, Colin Stinton

A devoted daughter (Gwyneth Paltrow) comes to terms with the death of her father (Anthony Hopkins), a brilliant mathematician whose genius was crippled by mental instability. Along the way, she's forced to face her own dark fears. But she has help from one of her father's former students (Jake Gyllenhaal), who searches through the dead man's notebooks in hopes of discovering the key to his brilliance. .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pretty good movie. Don't think it is for a lot of people though. I enjoyed it. Liked the story of the bond between the daughter and father. It's a hard movie to follow. If your not paying close attention you will be lost. Anthony Hopkins gives another great performance. But there isn't a role this man can't fulfill. Really surprised by Gwyneth Paltrow. Her character was kinda dark, and I thought she pulled it off amazingly. It's a very intense movie. She questions her sanity because she has inherited so much of who her father is, that she is scared that his illness is something else she will inherit, if not already. The movie keeps you wondering the same thing til the end. It wasn't a "must see" film for me. But my curiosity got the best of me. It is hard for me to pass up any movie, not judge it til I have seen it for myself. So I am glad I didn't pass this one up.
½ June 29, 2007
I enjoyed this movie. The brilliance in the proof is somewhat obscure, but I can feel the possibilities. It would be difficult to come to grips with the probability that you have inherited both the brilliance and the craziness of your father. I just watched part of it again and noticed how much I liked the music -- it really drives the moods of the movie.
Gx7
October 30, 2007
Quoted:

The movie is a kind of slow drama that is heart wrenching. The main character is the daughter of a brilliant mathematician. He went crazy at about her age. For the last five years she's been taking care of him when no one else will, giving up her dreams to do it. A week before the movie starts, he died. He has over a hundred notebooks that he wrote basically nonsense in during the last five years. His grad student is going through them. The main character's mothering sister is coming out for the funeral. The main character, Catherine, has to deal with the loss of her father, the possibility she too will go crazy, and with the people in the house she's lived in for most of her life. She's brilliant, also. Will she, too, go crazy? Is she crazy now?
May 14, 2007
When I rented the movie I thought it was something more than what I got but it wasn't bad. Nothing noteworthy though. And I must admit that Gyllenhaal would never seem like a mathematician to me but the romantic interest between him and Paltrow was... well.. interesting.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 23, 2007
decent flick
½ October 17, 2006
Fantastic thinker film. Brilliant beyond belief... You don't even have to be a rocket scientist to understand the mathmatics that are spoke of and yet you get involved in the storyline that it wouldn't matter anyway. Highly recommend.
ajaymuthecooldevils
½ June 4, 2006
The story is confused me out, but I find it was an interesting movie....
½ August 5, 2014
Gwyneth Paltrow gives the performance of her life in the powerful character drama Proof. In the wake of her father's death after a prolonged struggle with Alzheimer's disease, Catherine starts to question her own sanity, which gets exacerbated when her father's former grad student discovers a mathematical proof that she claims to have written but looks like her father's work. Accompanying Paltrow are Anthony Hopkins and Jake Gyllenhaal, who both deliver extraordinary performances. But it's Paltrow's outstanding work that carries the film, as she gives a brilliant introspective look into the mind of Catherine as she struggles to find the truth and come to terms with her fears. Yet some credit needs to go to director John Madden, who does an incredible job at drawing the audience into Catherine's struggle, and keeps the question of her mental illness and the authorship the proof constantly in question. Proof is an exceptionally well-crafted and transcendent film that deals with some provocative and controversial issues.
May 26, 2011
A powerful film that has great authenticity in its' examination of family dynamics. Gwyneth Paltrow amazed me with depth I didn't think she had.
Robert B.
October 6, 2015
Proof is a nice little film I rate up mainly on account of the performances and some good moviemaking. Gwyneth Paltrow gives an earnest performance and makes for a sympathetic and believable lead. The other actors are up to par and nicely compliment her character. The film tries to hit a sentimental note, and move the audience with some dramatic scenes. I cannot say it totally comes off, but it comes off well-enough. Proof is a bit like a modern day Bergman film, with similar kind of heart, but is more optimistic.
½ August 16, 2008
Pity to see a Pulitzer winning novel and some class act actors ending up in a film that is scatty and unimaginative in direction.
July 25, 2006
A blatantly dislikable protagonist almost drags down this formulaic but interesting drama. A great cast and perceptive subject matter keep it afloat.
½ December 15, 2012
A film about Maths and insanity. It has good acting by the leading cast, but the story is really boring. Suitable for the geeks who likes maths I suppose.