The Public Eye - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Public Eye Reviews

June 2, 2015
Wasted potential. If the script were better, this would be a classic. As it stands, it's a curiosity. Pesci does the best he can with what he's got, and it's well shot. That's about all I can say about it.
March 21, 2014
Really think this is a classic.
½ February 26, 2014
A very different role for Pesci. It showed that he was more than a wise guy or a crash test burglar. For some reason, I thought this was going to be more comical, like a spoof or satire of 1940's cinema. In fact the film is played very straight and it's not a bad film. You just have to be in the mood for it.
November 28, 2013
An Intriguing Noir Look At Photojournalism--Wonderful Score, Definitely a Hidden Gem!!
October 18, 2013
1990's Goodfellas Is One Of My Favorite Films.
September 14, 2012
Joe Pesci did good acting , but the direction and the script wasn't that great .
½ July 15, 2012
Searching for something to watch in the summer, when nothing is on, but The Public Eye turned out to be an interesting movie. Particularly liked the attention to detail in the architecture, autos, clothing, etc.
½ July 28, 2008
Everything unfolds with pedestrian, formulaic predictability.
½ April 7, 2012
Excellent take on the film noir genre from the point of view of a scandal mag paparazzi photographer. Pesci superbly plays the grubby photographer in way over his head and dodging bullets left and right and always coming out just ahead. Deserved a far higher profile and appreciation than it ever received theatrically.
February 11, 2012
If you are a mobster movie fan, no introduction is required for Joe Pesci - the cult legend! This time around, he plays the shutterbug who will go to any end for a sensational photo! Amazing movie for all photographers and "slice of life" lovers.
½ March 27, 2008
An extremely solid drama. Some of Pesci's best work, simultaneously crafty, sarcastic, funny, and also selfless for the sake of his art. I highly recommend it.
November 10, 2009
Probably would have rated a half-star higher if it was filmed in black-and-white.
½ August 31, 2007
Fun noir 40's paparazzi flick.
August 19, 2009
I was shocked by how good this movie is. Would be appreciated especially by journalism/photography buffs, I think.
MsNightwatch
August 5, 2009
i will give it a try.
½ September 4, 2008
Great Pesci. Great character. Great story. And of course, excellent photography.
½ April 12, 2009
So-so story, but has a nice look, and the score is excellent (I actually own the soundtrack...on cassette! Killer...)
½ April 10, 2009
Film med svakheter men med en vis sjarm. Laget på en klassisk film noir lest. Den har skurker, sexy damer og menn som gjør ting de ikke burde fordi sexy damer sier de skal gjøre det. Historien virker noe oppstykket på enkelte karakterutviklinger men hellers så er den helt grei. Det som derimot løfter filmen er fotografiene som blir brukt. Filmen basere seg på en ekte fotograf som tok masse bilder i New York på fra 20-50 tallet. Bildene er utrolig fine og jeg gikk rett på nettet og kjøpte ei bok av han etter filmen.
August 13, 2008
Eksairetiki, prepei na tin deite.
August 3, 2008
il film è passabile, ma joe è un grande