97% Ghostbusters Aug 29

82% Welcome to Sweden: Season 1
77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Public Speaking Reviews

August 3, 2014
Fascinating film about a fascinating woman.
Matty Stanfield
February 15, 2014
Intelligent, intellectual and completely hilarious glimpse into the brilliance that is Fran Levowitz. A must see.
January 15, 2014
Not bad if you like listening to a pretentious know it all for 80 mins.
July 13, 2012
Fran Lebowitz talks as fast and passionately as Scorsese himself. From being Jewish, living in New York, homosexual intellectuals and being awake in a texting-obsessed world, it's all so fascinating. This is an excellent snapshot of a remarkably intelligent woman. A woman who "always seems to be right." Scorsese's documentary is also incredibly funny. Lebowitz's wit is brilliantly judgmental and spot on. I particularly love her opinions on technology and Tweeter. It's true, some people shouldn't speak. There are dozens of profound statements throughout, my only complaint would be, it's all over too quickly.
Bill C.
May 26, 2012
"The worst photograph of me at 25 is better than the best picture of me now" - Fran Lebowitz

Fran Lebowitz blazes away about herself and her beloved New York City; Scorsese captures bits and pieces of the action. Wonderful stuff - an homage to the complex sentence !

A few of the Waverley scenes cry out for a second take - if only to improve the quality of the sound.
Harlequin68
Harlequin68

August 12, 2012
"Public Speaking" is a documentary about Fran Lebowitz, writer, wit, speaker and occasional guest star on "Law and Order." What also makes her special is her possessing the special ability to not only think on her feet but express those thoughts coherently. Even then, she does not have a 100% success rate, occasionally stepping in it. One of her insights that I especially liked involves explaining why there are no literary prodigies, as writers have to have lived at least a little to have something to write about. For the record, Lebowitz had her first book published when she was 27.

Sadly, that's one of the rare bits of biographical information we are given in this otherwise entertaining extended interview, so "Public Speaking" may be more intended for fans than newcomers. Rather, the documentary is apparently more interested in a lost New York City(yes, Scorsese, we know you directed "Taxi Driver"). In a wider sense, that could also include thinking fondly on a time when public intellectuals like James Baldwin, William F. Buckley and Gore Vidal debated each other and walked the earth. So, currently, Lebowitz could be considered one of the last of a dying breed.
Critique Threatt
Critique Threatt

June 30, 2012
I see Scorsese's "Public Speaking" as someone who is ready and willing and open to talk about anything that ticks them off about life and what gets them going and that person happens to be about writer Fran Libowitz. Scorsese uses stock footage of James Baldwin, Truman Capote, Gore Vidal and others since they're Libowitz's influences. She is not a bore to watch and I liked when she mentions that she doesn't use a cell phone or a microwave oven when so many people of today do. I am not quite sure why Scorsese wanted to do a documentary about Libowitz or if this is considered a great film. After making serious films dealing with guilt, regret and violence, I suppose this is Scorsese's way of idk mellowing down?
Alec B

April 15, 2012
Its just terribly fun to listen to Fran Lebowitz speak regardless of the topic. I'm not sure what I think of Scorsese's stylistic choices that are thrown in at random intervals, but just to see and hear Lebowitz rant for an hour and twenty minutes is a treat.
March 29, 2012
Just wind up your old dvd player and watch the wonderful relic go.
January 12, 2012
The most fun I've had with a film in ages. Even if you don't always agree with what Lebowitz is spouting off about, watching (and most importantly, listening) to her spout it is simply amazing.
August 17, 2011
Like My Dinner With Andre, we're reminded that a movie can be great while being anything it damn well pleases, like having someone just sit there and speak.
November 2, 2011
She epitomizes why I fell in love with New York.
Kyle F.
Kyle F.

July 21, 2011
A fun and interesting documentary that rides Lebowitz's charm all the way.
June 29, 2011
A very-talkative documentary about Fran Lebowitz, a writer from New York who through her wit and public speakings/stand up bits has kept her a known public figure within the city for nearly four decades. Nothing to really hate here, but then again not really much to love. It's mostly a sit down interview with her and Martin Scorsese, while periodic inter-cuts of archival footage from earlier in her life is thrown in.
May 29, 2011
Thoroughly enjoyed this documentary. It was reminiscent of "My Dinner with André", but with only one witty conversationalist, one very funny Fran Lebowitz. Self assured and unapologetic, Lebowitz is fantastic entertainment.
May 12, 2011
It's better than "Social Studies" a book.
juanchi119
April 25, 2011
GREAT!! RECOMMENDED!!!!!
March 21, 2011
ˇSos grande, Lebowitz!
cody f

March 4, 2011
This doc is good because Fran Lebowitz is entertaing and it has a nice mix of archival footage. It's very New York City centric, and doesn't have much of a Scorsese stamp on it, but it doesn't matter.I think it was missing a more personal side of Ms.Lebowitz and I wanted more about her past and how she got to be the person she is now. The archival footage is great, it's a mixture of great music and great minds. It makes you want to live in a time when people were celebrities because of their intelligence and not for public drunkenness or sex tapes.