Pull My Daisy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pull My Daisy Reviews

September 19, 2011
This grungy short really isn't so wonderful, beyond the intrigue of seeing the young Allen Ginsberg, Peter Orlovsky and Gregory Corso kicking back in an informal setting. The bulk of the film (it's about 27 minutes) involves the unlikely visit of a bishop to a squalid apartment, and the poets jabbing at him with playful, subversive questions. There's a lot of banter about what is "holy." Jack Kerouac narrates, often dubbing the words of the onscreen cast.

Note: The host's wife is credited as "Beltiane," but this is actually an early appearance of international star Delphine Seyrig.
February 28, 2014
This is a short film that gives just a brief idea of what the beat generation was all about. It has these young hip guys hanging about, writing poetry, being existential, going against the norm, and being generally artsy. It also features several prominent beat poets including Alan Ginsberg, and it has a narration written and voiced by Jack Kerouac. It is an interesting piece that represents this segment of America during the 50s.
½ March 29, 2012
Bohemian Beatnik Seinfeld.

The stove in the cockroach "scene" reminds me of Thu Tran's Food Party.
February 28, 2014
½ March 29, 2012
Bohemian Beatnik Seinfeld.

The stove in the cockroach "scene" reminds me of Thu Tran's Food Party.
September 19, 2011

½ March 7, 2011
I have, in the past, been rather vocal about my disinterest in blatant art films and avant garde, so when one of my film classes screend Pull My Daisy, I anticipated a headache. However, there's a special something about this film which totally redeems it in my eyes--total batshit craziness.

I enjoyed Pull My Daisy for the same reason I enjoyed Un Chien Andalou. I'm sure the filmmaker intended it to be a message film of some kind, but what it really came across as, to me, is a kind of cross-section into the mind of a subset culture that has all but faded away. Looking into the mind of the beat generation is as interesting and involving as it is to look into the height of the surrealist movement. The film holds no pretension, forces no message on you, making the entire short a rather interesting experience. Kerouac's constant narration breaks the whole thing up rather nicely, making it a surprisingly entertaining short.

The fact that it's 28 minutes long is probably another reason I could stomach it so well, same as Un Chien Andalou. Short bursts of unfiltered crazy are really fantastic.