Pulp Fiction Reviews

October 6, 2015
Pulp Fiction is a decent film. It is about the lives of two mob hit men, a boxer, a gangster's wife, and a pair of diner bandits. John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Quentin Tarantino did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama.
½ October 3, 2015
Awesome non-linear movie. There isn't anything else for me to say which hasn't already been said.
September 27, 2015
Highly entertaining even if it feels slightly pointless.
½ January 1, 2011
Hated this movie. Glorified violence and attempts to be clever doom this movie to an over-the-top, Tarantino ego trip.
½ July 12, 2015
The only reason, I've not rated this with 5 stars is because of the truly horrific acting of Quentin Tarantino. Don't get me wrong, a great, great director but terrible actor and it literally lets down the whole movie which is the biggest shame in move history.
November 8, 2014
This is easily Tarantino's very best film! Great dialogue, great action, great acting, just a masterpiece! A+
November 20, 2011
What can you say? All I can say is, "Thank you, Quentin Tarantino."
September 14, 2015
One of my favorites. Great cast and great dialogue.
September 13, 2015
A classic example of cinema at its finest, this film shows Tarantino at his best directing, writing and his best piece of acting. Gave careers a much needed push for Travolta, Jackson and Thurman whilst also giving Willis a chance to show he can do more than save 100's of people at christmas.
½ September 11, 2015
2 1/2 hour of pure awesomeness.
½ September 5, 2015
Despite is unpredictable plot and some funny jokes, Pulp Fiction falls into a boring narrative because of its very prolonged dialogues between the characters without any pertinence or interest, however the script is very credible to compensate this situation.
½ September 5, 2015
September 2, 2015
The most perfect combination of characters, story lines, and curse words ever made in a movie.

When you watch Pulp Fiction, you're not just watching any movie: think of it as the scene where you have Lance explaining to Vincent the difference between the "goods" he had for sale: you get good movies, then you get movies that are different but equally good as the previous, and there's nothing wrong with those two types of movies since they're all good; but then comes the "fuckin' madman", the one movie that once you finish watching it, you simply know that it is so good, it goes above the good stuff - movies I should say.

It's hard for a person to explain in one sentence, with very few adverbs and adjectives, what Pulp Fiction is about. It'll be so much easier to say that it's a mayhem-adrenaline-disaster-driven-badass-violent-funny movie, but that wouldn't get the point across a lay audience, this is why when someone asks me what the movie is about I just say: "Just watch it. It's funny, it's clever, it's a mess, and it will keep you on your seat throughout the entire movie that you won't even notice how long the movie was".

When the movie starts you get a nice dialogue between Pumpkin and Honey Bunny; you get a talkie opening scene, but, boy, what a talk! And since you don't even realize the connection between that dialogue and the movie plot, you just enjoy the conversation they're having; however, by the end of that scene you get a nice surprise when you realize what they were talking about.
And this is a pattern throughout the entire movie: scenes that seem to start out normal take a sudden and unexpected twist - think of the Marvin scene in the car -; this is what will delight you the most: you never see things coming, and you really enjoy watching those characters talk their ways through those scenes with those badass lines and hilarious situations that will keep you at the edge of your seat!

Now, the characters: you get so many memorable characters in this movie that it's hard to root for one in particular. You get the two gangsters (Vincent and Jules) that talk and argue about life, death, and Royale with cheese. You get Marcellus Wallace, who at the beginning of the movie, all you know about him is that he does not like being fucked by anybody except Mrs. Wallace - and that he has a cut in the back of his neck where they probably stole his soul and put it in The Briefcase (?). You get Butch, the tough-mean old boxer, who turns out to be a sweetheart with his little croissant, and who fucked with the wrong man: Marcellus Wallace. You get the cool-master-of-cleaning-up-your-mess: Mr. Wolf, who talks fast, acts fast, and drives really fucking fast. You get Jimmy who can make one kick-ass coffee. You get Mia Wallace (Marcellus Wallace's wife) who likes to dance and snort the wrong shit into her nose. And that's just to mention a few... oh and let's not forget about Pumpkin and Honey Bunny at the beginning and at the end of the movie.

And then we get the dialogues, those great conversations that makes us wish that we could, at least once in our lives, establish a conversation as good and fun as the ones in the movie. Let's just take one example of a fun dialogue, the Royale with Cheese: you get two guys talking about the cultural differences and similarities between Europe and U.S., they converse in such an eloquent manner that it makes you feel relaxed about the whole talk, which most of it won't be key to the plot of the movie, yet one phrase will become key-sub-cultural reference: "Royale with cheese".

That's the kind of dialogues we get with this movie. You can just sit back and relax while you see the characters talk. You even enjoy those uncomfortable moments of silence that characters get, since those moments will give characters another reason to talk about what an "uncomfortable silence" is, and it'll give them a chance to take break so one can "powder her nose".

Now, if you want to talk about the story line, well you're in for a very long conversation since it's a non-linear story. One can just basically say that the story becomes a full circle by the end of the movie given the nature of the opening and closing scene. Plus, the key dialogues that characters talk about in the movie that seemed irrelevant until the very end where you start to see them connecting, somehow, to the story.

There are some who like to look at the movie as an anthology movie, and they're right, since the movie can be divided into three or four stories that are intertwined between each other, that makes the movie somewhat even more interesting just by thinking about it.

And yes, for crying-out-loud, it's violent. It has violence, lots of it, and you know what? It's hilarious. It's purely aesthetical. It is so stylized that the violence in the movie looks cool. Enough said about that.

The story it's a masterpiece of modern cinema. The characters are memorable. The dialogues are wonderful. The direction of the movie is superb. What else can you ask for? Perhaps a better reference to the movie, I assume... well, the most wonderful things in life sometimes require simple words that will sum-up their greatness, Pulp Fiction being one - just watch it and enjoy it.
August 30, 2015
I love how this movie shifts perspectives constantly to keep the story fresh. Also the black humor in this movie was great and kept me on my toes.
August 5, 2015
Going into this for the first time, I knew this would be a good movie and I would enjoy it. However, I had no idea that it would be this good. It practically blew me away.

This movie follows how 6 people's lives are all intertwined in an action packed tale of gun violence, drug-use, and murder.

What this film is most famous for is its twisted timeline which is never too confusing but also very impressive. When I first saw the beginning, I didn't think much of it and as the film progressed, I forgot about it. But when it comes back at the ending, I knew I was in for a treat. The movie has several of these surprises which will knock you out cold and they are made brilliant by its twisting plot. I was in awe when the credits first started to roll.

Also, this movie has an outstanding soundtrack which is actually pretty recognizable and iconic. It is also very well-done too. I honestly feel that it perfectly fits the movie. Like Jaws, when I think of this movie, the soundtrack which played during the end credits instantly plays in my head. It may not be as iconic as Jaws's music but it definitely is of equal quality.

Also, the acting couldn't be much better. In my opinion, John Travolta, Samuel Jackson, and Bruce Willis all gave perfect performances. They are all able to convey so many moods at once with their facial expressions and they couldn't do any better.

This movie also has very great repeat watchability to it. The first viewing of this masterpiece is unforgettable. But just like Fight Club, this movie gets better and better every time you watch it. Mainly because the fact that you know what's going to happen and that you know all of its surprises, makes several scenes even more engaging. Also, this movie has so many iconic lines and scenes. It's super rare for a film to have 2 iconic scenes but this movie has several of them which have been retold and parodied so many times in pop culture.

So in conclusion, this movie is in fact a masterpiece because of many reasons. It has changed cinema so much and it has shown the test of time for over 20 years. I think that this film is going to be remembered for many more decades also. I think that this is Tarantino's best film and I also think that it is one of the best movies ever made. I recommend this to everyone who enjoys action and complex plot structures to movies.
August 23, 2015
So much can be said about this movie. If your a fan of Tarantino you already know. A classic. period.
August 22, 2015
World class screenplay that'll get you laughing but feeling uneasy, amazing performances from one of the best casting choices of all time, a killer soundtrack, and such creative, stylish and unorthodox direction from Quentin Tarantino makes this one of the greatest movies ever released. Perfect for people who just want to have a blast watching something entertaining, as well as critics with a keen eye for detail. This masterpiece will undoubtedly not be forgotten for many more years to come and will go down in history as a landmark in filmmaking of the 90's.
August 21, 2015
Pulp fiction is wildly entertaining and fun, overall a good movie to enjoy from a great director like Quentin Tarantino.
September 29, 2014
As I did not see it until recently, the hype surrounding it was overwhelming. It was being entitled as one of the best films of the 90's, so I had very high expectations going in. Said with absolute relief, Pulp Fiction lived up to, if not exceeded those precedented expectations. The sheer definition of a black comedy, and done so in an extremely action packed and hilarious manner. Samuel L Jackson and John Travolta have unbelievable chemistry, and all stories that are told throughout are full of unexpected twists and unanswered questions, leaving the audience hungry for answers, but wildly satisfied. The contents of Marcellus Wallace's briefcase would become the topic of many conversations and forums, and rightly so. Pulp Fiction is engaging, entertaining, action packed black comedy at it's finest, introducing sub-plots and alternate endings throughout. Upheld by stellar performances by all cast members, Pulp Fiction rightly perches itself on the leader board as one of the best films made in the 90's.
September 10, 2012
Debe de ser una putada que la mejor pelicula que jamas haras sea la segunda que ruedas, porque el resto de tu carrera esta condenada a ser inferior, ser comparada y en cuanto tengas un desliz decir "lejos del mejor tarantino de pulp fiction"

Es un curioso comentario, pero poco puedo decir de una de las mejores peliculas de la historia del cine, que puede estar en el Top10 de cualquier ranking que se te ocurra, y que es el título que redefine el cine moderno y le da libertad absoluta.

También, es la última película que me gustaría ver antes de morir.