Punching the Clown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Punching the Clown Reviews

October 18, 2010
I don't remember laughing this hard at a movie in a long time. Wish the DVD had a making of. Although the movie itself is like a really funny behind the scenes experience. Henry Phillips is great.
March 29, 2015
I feel like Henry Phillips of this film is not far from the real life Henry Phillips. I love the understated humor elements which mostly covers the far-fetched, generic plot and uneven pacing.
½ November 6, 2012
Punching the Clown. Though not a huge fan of musical comedians as a whole (Tenacious D is still awesome), I liked this movie quite a bit. It was able to remain funny while taking itself serious, which I loved. The story was great, along with most of the acting. The sense of building throughout was phenomenal, as you know at any moment, the conflict is going to burst. Overall, a legitimately funny and well produced comedy. 7.5/10.
August 21, 2014
This is a good film for anyone aspiring to be successfully in Hollywood. every part of this film worked for me except i didin't find this comedy song maker's songs very funny. This wouldn't be such a bad thing but the premis of the movie is he cant get a break while there are crappyer guys out there who get all the success. Full of funny LA situations, there a little "curb your enthusiasm" in this. You do feel pretty invested in a guy i had never heard of and who is playing himself.
April 19, 2013
omg! it was a very poignant but subtle & fresh satire for LA. I want to recommend anyone who's looking for a new kind of movie. 2 thumbs up!
March 7, 2013
I probably shouldn't have watched this so close to moving to L.A., but I have to say, it was an enjoyable little movie. Henry Phillips did a great job. If you have Netflix, there is no reason not to watch this film.
½ January 29, 2013
It's witty and funny, but the songs grow tiresome.
October 18, 2012
One of, If not the funniest movies Iv'e ever seen. Henry Phillips is hilarious and the best part is you never feel like he's trying to hard to be funny, it just seems like that's how the guy is, and adds a very realistic feel to the film. Probably the funniest movie on netflix instant stream as well. Iv'e watched about five times since I first saw it, and it was not too long ago.
August 10, 2012
A genuine laugh-out-loud-worthy mockumentary about the misadventures of a comedian folk singer in Los Angeles.
June 12, 2012
Pretty hilarious. Funny, funny songs.
April 16, 2012
funny independent film
March 3, 2012
Love this movie! Great laughs, twists and turns.
½ February 29, 2012
A movie where everyone speaks softly but carries a few good laughs.
½ November 18, 2011
Partly a musical comedy performance film, partly an endearing little fish/big pond narrative comedy, partly a Hollywood cautionary tale mockumentary, 100% satisfying.
½ November 9, 2011
This movie is not to be missed. It's like the singer songwriter version of This is Spinal Tap - hilarious!
October 19, 2011
I guess LA really is a magical place... This movie is a great find! Go watch it!
½ January 24, 2011
5 stars! My husband and I saw it. It was great
December 16, 2010
Saw a screening last night, and found it two steps beyond funny. The best part I found was that it's star, Henry Phillips, is one of the most likeable guys I have met during 25 years in the standup comedy business. Highly recommended. "Well done" to all involved.
October 25, 2010
My living room never looked better!