Punching the Clown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Punching the Clown Reviews

August 21, 2014
This is a good film for anyone aspiring to be successfully in Hollywood. every part of this film worked for me except i didin't find this comedy song maker's songs very funny. This wouldn't be such a bad thing but the premis of the movie is he cant get a break while there are crappyer guys out there who get all the success. Full of funny LA situations, there a little "curb your enthusiasm" in this. You do feel pretty invested in a guy i had never heard of and who is playing himself.
½ November 18, 2011
Partly a musical comedy performance film, partly an endearing little fish/big pond narrative comedy, partly a Hollywood cautionary tale mockumentary, 100% satisfying.
October 23, 2010
If it isn't entirely successful, it's partly because the music -- late-night satire swathed in gentle folkie chords -- and Mr. Phillips's modest but knowing manner don't quite match up with the "Star Is Born" cliches of the plot.
March 20, 2016
A painfully transparent vehicle to showcase Henry Phillips's comedy songs. Guess what? They are NOT funny. They're basically the musings of an entitled manchild, rendered "cute" by a folksy tune. The entire film is built around getting us to forget how terrible the actual "comedy" is. The "stay-true-to-your-art" plot is hollow -- a self-righteous justification for Henry's own obscurity.
March 29, 2015
I feel like Henry Phillips of this film is not far from the real life Henry Phillips. I love the understated humor elements which mostly covers the far-fetched, generic plot and uneven pacing.
½ November 6, 2012
Punching the Clown. Though not a huge fan of musical comedians as a whole (Tenacious D is still awesome), I liked this movie quite a bit. It was able to remain funny while taking itself serious, which I loved. The story was great, along with most of the acting. The sense of building throughout was phenomenal, as you know at any moment, the conflict is going to burst. Overall, a legitimately funny and well produced comedy. 7.5/10.
August 21, 2014
December 23, 2013
A good comedy with witty lyrics and a ferocious criticism of the superficiality in L.A.
½ September 15, 2013
I didn't think this was funny and his songs are annoying. :/
August 9, 2013
Had a great story, at a few moments (not many), it was boring, but all around it was a pretty good film.
½ April 24, 2013
Is this based on a true story about a satirical folk musician, Henry Philip? If not why did he use his own name in the movie??
April 19, 2013
omg! it was a very poignant but subtle & fresh satire for LA. I want to recommend anyone who's looking for a new kind of movie. 2 thumbs up!
February 15, 2012
Meh. His style of humor is often banal and offensive
March 7, 2013
I probably shouldn't have watched this so close to moving to L.A., but I have to say, it was an enjoyable little movie. Henry Phillips did a great job. If you have Netflix, there is no reason not to watch this film.
½ January 29, 2013
It's witty and funny, but the songs grow tiresome.
October 18, 2012
One of, If not the funniest movies Iv'e ever seen. Henry Phillips is hilarious and the best part is you never feel like he's trying to hard to be funny, it just seems like that's how the guy is, and adds a very realistic feel to the film. Probably the funniest movie on netflix instant stream as well. Iv'e watched about five times since I first saw it, and it was not too long ago.
October 2, 2012
Really enjoyed this wry, poignant and smartly satirical comedy!
August 10, 2012
A genuine laugh-out-loud-worthy mockumentary about the misadventures of a comedian folk singer in Los Angeles.
August 7, 2012
Loved it! Loved Henry Phillips!
½ July 28, 2012
The songs sounded good and were very funny, and it made a good point about how information spreads in our world. I would definitely recommend it.