Pure - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pure Reviews

½ June 15, 2015
The performances give this depressingly dour story a face and substance.
½ March 20, 2015
As brilliant as Harry Eden's performance, as compelling as Molly Parker's, Pure is a remarkable experiences of cinematic character driven.
July 31, 2012
The story needed more touchable elements, other ways Pure is good drama movie. Good acting and performances. Even kids did good job in their roles.
July 8, 2012
Okay movie. Thought much something else than the back cover said, but not completely waste of money though. And the European front cover was different... anyways. Good acting, great performances, but the story ain't that touchy to me. Somehow leaves me a bit cold. I wanted to feel for this film but it didn't give me more thoughts to flow, more... I don't know. Something was missing.
May 13, 2012
A little overbearing, though not entirely unwatchable. Good, but not great performances.
April 6, 2012
I want to see this, I wish it would let me
½ August 27, 2009
Cast: Harry Eden, Molly Parker, Keira Knightley, Vinnie Hunter, David Wenham, Nitin Ganatra, Levi Hayes, Rupert Procter, Bronson Webb, Kate Ashfield, Marsha Thomason, Tyler Smart, Geraldine McEwan, Gary Lewis

Director: Gillies Mackinnon

Summary: In the wake of his father's untimely death, 10-year-old Paul (Harry Eden) must become the man of the house, caring for his younger brother and sick mother Mel (Molly Parker). When bullies taunt Paul by calling his mother a junkie, the boy soon realizes that the medicine he has been preparing for her is really heroin. Keira Knightley appears as a crack-addicted waitress in this bleak family drama set in West London.

My Thoughts: "It's very rare when you get a film that is so spot on with addiction and the tribulations it causes not only the person with the addiction, but also for their families. The little boy Harry Eden was very good in this film. A great young talent to take on such a harrowing character. Some of the scenes that take place are a bit shocking. For instance, when Paul is preparing his mother's "medicine", at least that is what he believes it to be. Another is when Mel is on the bus with her two son's and her friends daughter. I was shocked and furious at what Mel does, but also relieved a bit. I won't say what happens, but for those who have seen the film you will understand. The film is gritty and raw and leaves nothing off the table when showing the honest glimpse in the life of an addict and a little boy desperately trying to hold whats left of his family together. All the performances are fantastic. This is one to see."
½ February 19, 2012
Pure is a dark and gritty drama about drug addiction and the bonds of family. The story surrounds a 10-year-old boy who's struggling to keep his family together and to help is mother beat her drug addiction. Molly Parker and Keira Knightley both give solid performance, but it's Harry Eden's performance that carries the film. Eden gives a truly compelling and moving performance that's heartbreaking at time as his character suffers the abuses of his mother, who's suffering from withdrawal. The film has some storytelling issues that cause the film to drag and wander a bit, which breaks up the momentum. Pure presents an interesting view of a family's battle with drug addiction, but it has some problems staying on message.
February 14, 2012
A ten year old boy is desperately trying to cope with looking after his mum who's a junkie, while she spirals down a slippery slope he is left to defend for himself and his little brother. Eventually Mel played by Molly Parker receives help for her habit after being caught by the police and accused of being a dealer. She has no choice but to go into rehab and clean her act up. Meanwhile she loses custody of her two sons who go and live with their grandparents. Eventually things work out for the family and the film ends on a happy note. Shame about them supporting West Ham. What's their song! I'm for ever blowing H...or is it bubbles.
February 1, 2012
This was good. Alittle on the slow side but the overall movie was done well.
April 29, 2011
This was a great story. It was really impressive. Harry Eden did a great job on his first big movie.
November 6, 2007
Some people say the film was too depressing, with no redemption. But maybe some films don't need complete, expected solutions. I feel that the ending to Pure was not altogether hopeless or fatalistic. In showing that there has been some triumph or progress during the course of the film, hopes are validated that Paul's life can continue to improve beyond the film.

This is a must see film for anyone that likes to be emotionally touched whilst watching a movie..
December 19, 2010
amazing acting, the movie is disturbing, but it shows the life of an drug user really well
½ September 7, 2010
Nothing in this film to suggest it should be brilliant and it's not but it's entertaining enough. I'm lucky enough never to have had anyone I know become dependant on hard drugs so I can't claim to know if its authentic or not in terms of its treatment of the subject. However it's pretty hard hitting (without being over-dramatic and unwatchable) about it and the one death/one life saved balance seems fair.

Hard to look beyong Eden as the lead character young Paul in terms of best performance, although he's done little else except 'Dodger' in Polanski's Oliver Twist. Knightley, Parker and Wenham act well whilst it was fantastic to see Geraldine McEwan playing the gran role.

The film was set in London without being too overtly cockney (except the slightly pointless references to West Ham United) which was refreshing. Nice to have some scenes in a good old cafe too! Music score was a bit one dimensional but the main theme, repeated throughout, was pleasent enough.

More than anything though I actually cared about what was going to happen in the end. I can't say it moved me in any way but I felt I could relate to Eden and Knightley's characters in some strange way. It won't amaze you but it's worth a watch!
February 16, 2010
April 23, 2007
A 10 years old boy named Paul (Harry Eden), take care of his younger brother Lee (Vinnie Hunter) and his sick mother Mel (Molly Parker). After her husband died, Mel became an heroin addict. But when Paul finds out the truth about his mother's addiction, he will try to help her overcome it...

Great performance from 12 years old Harry Eden (1st time on big screen) and Molly Parker, also 17 years old Keira Knightley, did a pretty good job in her role.
½ September 19, 2009
A movie depicting struggles of of the effect of drug abuse, single mother, and death on a small family. really enjoyed this movie.
June 11, 2009
oh what a life but was a good movie
March 14, 2009
Inglaterra que tienes que me encantas? una peli hermosa super bien actuada y musicalizada de una manera maravillosa, una mas sobre drogas con un final predecible pero que deja tranquilo aunque no necesariamente todas las historias acaben igual
January 18, 2009
Man, the Brits sure know how to make films! An incredibly well acted story about heroin abuse by single mothers in London. Canadian actor, Molly Parker not only delivers the best performance I've ever seen her do, but also delivers a spot on British accent.