Q & A

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Q & A Reviews

closedmouth
February 18, 2014
It has a lot of problems, including a plot that seems at first to be overly complicated but eventually ends up being overly simplistic (and more than a little ridiculous), a tepid romance, and a really fucking terrible soundtrack. But Lumet kicks it along at an exciting pace (it's too long, but it somehow doesn't feel it), and the acting is excellent (apart from Lumet's daughter, who should stick to writing) so I enjoyed myself.
Anthony L

February 17, 2014
The fact that Q&A is a Sidney Lumet film only opens it to more scrutiny than it probably really deserves. It's another corrupt NYC police movie among many. I've seen worse, I've seen better. Nick Nolte is however on fine form, larger than life and as terrifying as ever, our protagonist Timothy Hutton however, is a little less well written. It's never clear whether he is naive or just acting naive, I'm not sure this is intentional either. The other problem (Columbo fans may disagree) is that we already know the outcome at the end of the film, we know who did what and we know that they'd eventually find out. The conclusion however was a nice surprise and probably puts it in the above average category, however it is only a fleeting flash of how great Lumet could be.
February 5, 2014
This is a weird one, in some ways it's great. It some ways its crap. Nick Nolte is crap, the big shoot out at the end (watch Nolte punch the air in front of Huttons face) looks really poor. I thought jenny Lumet was pretty good. Assante was the same as ever but with a dodgy accent. I think it over does it on the racial tribalism and the cop jargon. Its also a little hard to follow in places. Anyway, its actually a really interesting film with some interesting themes. See it for yourself. I don't really know what I'm talking about.
December 8, 2012
As a political film it's very good. It shows many of the nuances of corruption and crime and first of all, it's shows that the system doesn't work and doesn't want to work. In the end, if it goes to high up in the system, it's prefers to cover the problem up than to solve it. Some might say that it's just one among many other cop corruption movies. And sure it is and many of the others are better movies, but as I said, it has a better description of the system that is corrupt itself than most others. Also, the problem of corruption, racism and police violence still exists so obviously focus is still needed. But with all that said, the storyline never raises itself above average. The acting is good and takes the film as high as the script permits but that is just simply not very high. In the end, it was the political significance that kept me watching more than the plot itself. The acting scenes lacks reel action, the plot twist are non existing and neither is the suspense. A clear problem is that the plot is revealed all to soon to make it really exiting and "choking".
Marcus W

July 23, 2009
The acting, the cast, the script, the direction...it's all first class. The problem is that we're supposed to be surprised that politicians are corrupt. There's no shock there. Don't get me wrong, it's a good film, just don't expect to be blown away.
April 5, 2011
21 years ago the story written by a new york state supreme court judge.
April 14, 2011
I finally start pronouncing pronouncing his name right on the show, and Sydny Lumet goes and passes away! My other DVD pick was 1990's Q & A. The gritty thriller is the only film he wrote and directed.
I've already recommended THE VERDICT too many times to count, and 12 ANGRY MEN holds up. Also worth taking a look at is NIGHT FALLS ON MANHATTAN -- Andy Garcia, Ian Holme, James Gandolfini, Richard Dryfuss...but it was Ron Leibman as the district attorney who should have won best supporting actor (wasn't even nominated!)
Almost forgot BEFORE THE DEVIL KNOWS YOUR DEAD -- thank you Ms. Tomei!
January 15, 2011
Nick Nolte is scary good and Armand Assante is excellent, but overall the film gets lost its convoluted subplots
hunterjt13
hunterjt13

September 12, 2010
Q&A is a fairly typical Lumet film in the tradition of Prince of the City, Night in Manhattan, and well, everything else since Serpico (with the notable exception of the brilliant Before the Devil Knows You're Dead). In a lot of ways it seems that Lumet got stuck on this corruption in the force thing and devoted the rest of his career to pounding that theme to death. I'm not denying the importance of his subject, but I've found it very easy to see where his films are going. What's odd is that because I'm such a fan with a broad knowledge of his work, I've found watching his movies for the first time less enjoyable.
One good thing about watching these older films (1990 is not that long ago) is I'm reminded of just how good some of these actors were in their prime. Hutton and especially Nolte deliver excellent performances.
Last, I did have trouble with the ending. I don't think the final note of the film was developed as the film's principal conflict. Hopefully that was vague enough to avoid giving anything away.
Danny R

July 31, 2010
A powerful gritty well-acted crime drama, brilliantly directed by Sidney Lumet. About a wet-behind-the ears Assistant D.A. superbly played by Timothy Hutton who is assigned by his boss a smoothly villainous Patrick O'Neal, too investigate a killing of Puerto Rican drug dealer, which involves a veteran detective who is corrupt and psychotic, he is played by Nick Nolte in a powerhouse performance. Nolte steals the film hands down, he has never been so brutal and imposing, his foul-mouth maniacal cop is an unstoppable force of evil. O'Neal is a man with unbridled political ambitions and wants Hutton to do a routine by numbers investigation, to get Nolte who is his personal enforcer off the hook, writing up a Q & A with Notle and other principal players, they must fine a fall guy for Nolte. The film is rich with outstanding characterizations by a terrific cast that includes Armand Assante, Lee Richardson, Charles Dutton, Luis Guzman, and Paul Calderon. This is a hard-hitting crime drama that realistically depicts the racism and corruption in the New York City justice system of the early 1990s. Highly Recommended.
rthornhill
July 18, 2009
saw it years ago and liked it, however, I need to see it again to fairly rate it.
Anthony V

June 27, 2008
Good cast and director fails to hit home in this tale of corruption.
wielandr
August 22, 2008
Just a decent actionfilm. Nothing really special though.
Sarah P

June 25, 2008
This movie was too long and it felt like a dozen other mob/cop movies I've seen before. It was pretty much ::yawn::
Guardia
March 30, 2008
Messily written film about an internal investigation of a murder by a star police officer. The film takes it's point-of-view from the investigator, and creates it's drama by following him deeper into the case.

The poor screenplay and over-complication lets this film down. Nick Nolte's character is pretty much the only thing that will you keep you interested, as unlikable as he is.

The side-line love story adds nothing to the film, apart from adding to any impatience you may be experiencing about the conclusion of what should be a very simple story.

Armand Assante is very good in this also, and you can't help but wonder why they didn't exploit his talents a little more, and the lead character's a little less.
March 23, 2008
Lumet certainly has a thing about the NYPD and corruption...

That's no bad thing though and whilst this isn't his best, it's still an absorbing tale. The characters are interesting and the story is told in a way that doesn't insult your intelligence which I appreciated.

Tim Hutton is good and Guzman rocks but when you put them together with Nolte, it's clear who owns this flick. The dude is pretty ferocious and intimidating throughout and he makes no attempts to soften his character which makes him all the more watchable.

Although it loses it's way towards the end and it becomes a tad predictable in it's closing scenes this is a pretty good example of the genre.
louellwood
September 21, 2007
Sydney Lumet isn't a favourite director of mine but I have to admire the way he tries to make films that matter.
This is an involving story and it's played pretty hard. The theme of one unguarded moment and the resulting look changing a life is very interesting and the ending, while satisfying, doesn't try to wriggle out from under the crushing weight of the way things are.
Nick is in full tilt, dangerous scary mode but still not the main attraction for me. I actually gave the movie an extra half star because of Armand who is fantastic but I had to take it back because of the truly dreadful song which gets used 3 times!! As if over the opening and closing credits isn't bad enough we also have to endure it in the build up to one of the film's most climactic moments.
What a miscalculation.
deancorso19
June 12, 2007
Good cop bad cop .. Doesn't get better ..
virgo5335