The Queen - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Queen Reviews

½ June 18, 2007
Interesting take from the other side of the Diana debacle
April 9, 2016
An absolute delight!
March 6, 2016
A true story that from a star-turning performance from Helen Mirren, The Queen is a good Oscar-Bait film
March 8, 2011
Hmmm... This seems to be available at the local library.
February 21, 2011
Okay, but not that engaging.

A movie about dealing with tragedy...when you're the Queen of England. In the aftermath of Princess Diana being killed by the paparazzi in 1997, the Royal family reacts with stoicism. However, this gets read as indifference by the English population and public opinion soon turns against the Royal family (spurred on by the media, of course). Prime Minister Tony Blair, riding a massive wave of popularity, tries to help them with their PR problems...

Interesting and novel in that it this movie gives a look into the private lives of monarchy during a time of grief and vulnerability. However, there is a large degree of detachment for the audience: we can't relate to them. Plus, much of the plot involves politics, PR and the politics of monarchy, and none of these are appealing subjects.

Some of this distance is made up by great, convincing performances from Helen Mirren as Queen Elizabeth and Michael Sheen as Tony Blair. Mirren got a Best Actress Oscar for her performance.

Overall, interesting and watchable, but not a must-see.
September 17, 2015
This is a work of fine craftsmanship all around.
August 26, 2015
Deep and electrifying . A movie that gives us the best visual of the mentality of the Queen herself and the touching relationship between the prime minister Tony Blair. Movie for everyone to enjoy!
August 25, 2015
This historical insight gives a rare insight into the behind-the-scene thoughts and behaviours of Royal Family. With an outstanding performance by Mirren, this film will make you think twice about The Queen. AAN 1001
½ July 27, 2015
What a sensational performance by Helen Mirren. She deservedly won an Oscar. The rest of the film is just as good. Well done all the way around by all involved.
½ November 8, 2014
Biopics are by far my favorite film genre, but unfortunately The Queen didn't live it up for me. It was rather slow paced, which I did understand was intentional for the purpose of showing the tension among the Queen, the Prime Minister, and the public about the appropriate public response to Princess Di's death. But the drawback of this approach is that it lacked an entertainment value (i.e. of being more fast-paced, having more of a presence of emotional highs and lows, more surprises, etc.) This felt more like a film I could use in a film class to analyze the mise-en-scene and explore the intersection of the public vs private as well as the old-fashioned/traditional vs the modern. I'm still glad I watched it, but I wouldn't really watch it for a second time unless it was for an analytical assignment.
June 23, 2015
A remarkable insight into the private world of the modern monarchy, The Queen reveals poignantly how conservative Elizabeth conceded to the needs of modernity and its media, breaking a 60 year old stance. The plot remains consistent and the acting is of a high quality, Mirren, Sheen and Cromwell especially should be kept in mind. However, there does seem to be something missing. The plot, though as I say remains consistent, also lacks in scenes that we wonder why they are even included and the dialogue can sometimes become suffocating in its stuffiness. The general tone of the film questions why the writers chose this period, out of so many available, that would have made this picture a much more entertaining spectacle. It's good, but it just can't seem to engage sympathy in its 100 minutes of pandering.
March 23, 2015
Helen Mirren and Michael Sheen spearhead a tremendously executed British film, that depicts the period before and following Princess Diana's death.
April 5, 2015
Well done and interesting story that give you a sense for all of the major characters involved (the queen, her husband, Prince Charles, Tony Blair) etc. Is it all true? Who knows. But it is definitely an interesting take on the monarchy.
February 18, 2015
Even though the film covers a very deep and sad time in history, director Stephen Frears and screenwriter Peter Morgan lift the film from what could be a gloomy and depressing movie and instead makes it light-hearted, witty and at times very humorous. Helen Mirren's superb portrayal embodies her character and shows how Queens are humans too. Along with her luminous acting partner, Michael Sheen, The Queen is pure genius and easily the best film of 2006.
February 17, 2015
Mirren knows where to pull her punches and merely nod her regal head, and ends up conveying so much more for doing so. Without changing a single thing about QE's character, Mirren manages to make her appear both human and relatable, a feat the British royal family has stumbled with for decades.
June 15, 2007
i wanna see it but i dont
August 15, 2011
Great performance of H. Mirren at her best!
January 30, 2015
Helen Mirren's performance is matched by the fantastic screenplay and the cast around her. Full review later.
December 27, 2014
More like "vehicle to make Tony Blair look sympathetic" but watchable and interesting.
½ October 8, 2014
The Queen: "A good walk and fresh air sorts everything out".

The film takes place after the death of Princess Diana. The Queen of England refuses to make a supportive statement about the Princess, while Prince Charles and Tony Blair try to diffuse the situation and bring royalty back to popularity.

Stephen Frears the director of this movie did a remarkable job bleeding in the footage and the reaction of this dreadful event, because you can feel what these people are going through and even the Queen herself went through a lot things in this crisis. Helen Mirren as the Queen, and am being honest about this but she gives the best performances that I've ever seen in her career. She played the part so well and so brilliant that through out the film I wasn't watching Helen Mirrern trying to be the Queen, I was watching the Queen herself on the the big screen, that's how outstanding she was. Michael Sheen, James Cromwell and the rest of the cast did a great jobs in they roles. The directing and the story in the film is simply spellbinding with every single detail added.