• PG-13, 1 hr. 43 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

The Queen Reviews

Byron B

March 4, 2007
Uses real news footage of Diana and the British people's reactions following her death. When Helen Mirren or Michael Sheen are on screen their performances hold your attention fairly well. The dichotomy between the common people and the royal family is illustrated well. The plot plods along through many of the events of the summer of '97 though.
January 22, 2009
James Cromwell is a highlight.
July 1, 2014
Do they get any better than this? I don't think so. A superb movie and Helen Mirren is at her best.
Ben D.
May 22, 2014
A riveting, powerful drama that captures your attention in an iron grip and never lets go.
June 7, 2014
My favorite genre is easily comedy, however, The Queen is one of my favorite four movies of all time. The performance by Helen Mirren is incredible, I cannot tell you how much this movie impacted me. After watching it, it gives you goosebumps the rest of the night. It was astonishing.
September 19, 2012
Very interesting view of the family
May 25, 2014
The writing seemed impeccable thanks to Frears' direction and the performances of the cast especially Helen Mirren's. She creates a person that we have no option but to sympathize with and one that is hard to hate.
May 19, 2014
Helen Mirren is the spotlight of this spectacle.
Limbo
January 29, 2010
It's nothing like that it tells a very complicated story or a movie that you won't believe your eyes. It's simple but allows you to think of lot of things.
In grief of princess Diana the Royal family,specially queen Elizabeth ,her daughter and husband doesn't seem to be very much moved by it and the QUEEN refuses to contribute to the funeral of queen Diana in a royal manner. And the story is how Tony Blair,the prime minister of that certain era tries to make the queen look at the situation from the point of the view of the people in the country,and unwillingly she looks at it that way without meaning a thing she did but to make herself some respect over the population in Britain. She does everything as the prime minister says without lowering a word of it because she things she doesn't have a choice. In the movie it's not like that she's helpless with the situation but she's being sarcastic all the way.
It's defenitely a great work in being able to show in the movie how the family reacts to the situation of princess Diana's death. They just try not to miss their everyday routine while the whole nation kneel down before the death of the princess. The royal family doesn't take it to a dime. In the real time when this death happened i heard a lot of rumours that the party which is guilty on the death of princess Diana is the royal family. Actually i heard that the queen planned the death of the princess.Lot of things went around the world those days.
Apart from that if you keep a menatality that the queen is actually guilty you might not miss it in this movie. She doesn't care if Diana's dead. The crowd had written over some words in pieces of papers with flowers saying things like "they don't deserve you"...."they have your blood on their hands" and some others. The queen doesn't seemed to be much paniced by the response of the crowd towards her reaction to princess Diana's death. She plays it like an ending story that she'll never think of again. Do what it's necessary to keep the connection between the palace and the people and get rid of the problems. It's a way....i don't know but the movie showed it brilliant.
On a whole different angle the fact that the behaviour of the Queen on the situation of a death could be justifiable in the sense if you look at the whole situation on the perspective of the queen,it's a bit of an acute angle but if you for a moment think that way may be you'll find a way to enter the soul of the queen ...actually you'll understand who she really is. She calls off for a private funeral because she thinks it has to be personal and she doesn't manage to understand the circumstances of the people because she's a queen and that was how she grew up. My sister believes that the actions determined by the queen on her own perspective does serve her soul and her way of livinghood. That could be actually right.
Then again ,after a whole lot of thinking i came to a conclusion...You can actually look at it..the both ways. If you look at in the acute angle..i mean in the perspective of the queen ,you might feel that it's right..what she did.
But if you look at the grieving crowd first and then at the queen you will be forced to develop the fact that the queen could have paid some authentic attetion upon what people believe on the death of the princess...like how the fellow representatives of the country look at this certain situation. U will feel that a human being could not be so heartless. That's a question between human mentality dealing between every person and the way one believes in a certain thing. You can look at it in different ways. That is where it always leaves an argument. Now i'm kind of both.
But what's actually to consider is whether it's right to stick to your ownself believing in one thing without letting any other suggestions come into you to see whether they look good on the side of everyone. May be the person the queen wanted out of Diana wasn't who the people believed.
March 29, 2014
A perfect refection of days we live in and with a Helen Mirren who accomplishes the impossible."The Queen" is a deep human drama with a tabloid sensibility. A tradition that's lasted over a thousand years shaken by a world who demands public spectacle. "Humbleness or humiliation?" asks Queen Elizabeth to her Prime Minister. ;) A must see!
March 10, 2014
This is clearly British propaganda with an opinion on the British monarchy. However, the weakness in this movie comes from the fact that it really isn't clear what that opinion is, because it seemingly tries to be both for and against it, through the confusing turns of Sheen's Tony Blair. I thought the script was well done, a very appropriate and topical issue with which to undertake a biopic on the Queen, and was sufficiently paced to make the movie enjoyable. James Cromwell performed admirably as Prince Phillip, biting off his words with a savagery that put him in stark contrast with the remaining cast members who are more reserved and quiet. However, I went into this film for the purpose of admiring Mirren's work, and to be completely honest I don't see it. I fail to understand why she swept the awards, as while she did well, she most certainly didn't blow me away. Glad I saw it, but wouldn't actively recommend.
July 5, 2007
I saw one trailer that made me really interested, so I think I would like to see this after all.
March 15, 2014
Or The One Where Helen Mirren and Michael Sheen Go Head To Head In a Battle Royale of Acting...

Admittedly, I don't know much about the nature of British politics, but I found The Queen to be a fascinating look at the British monarchy, as well as a look at the difference between generations. Director Stephen Frears has a knack for balancing intricate stories and detailed characters with powerful acting and compelling storytelling. Benefiting greatly from powerhouse performers Helen Mirren, Michael Sheen, and James Cromwell, The Queen is able to make multi-faceted portrayals of stoic political figures.

Mirren is brilliant and charismatic in this film, in a way that would have seemed impossible before viewing the film. For a character who is often portrayed as being emotionless and focused solely on duty, Mirren is able to match those notions with a sympathetic performance that shows the humanity behind the figure. We begin to see the stress and the weight of responsibility that 50 years on the throne have brought on the queen, and we begin to see why she behaves the way she does.

It also helps that Sheen's Blair comes to the same understanding as the audience, a move by Frears to guide the audience to the same realization. In the hands of a less experienced director this could have seemed a manipulative tactic, but Frears makes it seem organic with his focus on Mirren. The entire film portrays the queen as a reluctantly charismatic figure, and it gives the audience a window into the life and the mindset of a monarch.
March 14, 2014
Helen Mirren is the queen! Great movie for anyone even remotely interested in the monarchy!
January 8, 2014
Soberbia actuación de Helen Mirren, interesante pelea tras bastidores entre el primer ministro y la reina cuando murió Diana. Pero es de una audiencia muy especial. Me gustó.
February 7, 2012
I've heard so many reports saying this boring as batshit and the only thing that holds it up is Helen Mirrens performance. I may see it later on, but at the moment... was my report.

That still rings quite true, however The Queen gives some interesting perspective.
TheFeldster
January 3, 2014
"The Queen" is a very very solid historical biopic, something that could not have been easy considering the huge emotion attached to the monarchy, the Blair government, and the lingering effects of the death of Princess Diana in the UK at the time of this film.

Built around the powerful portrayal by Helen Mirren of sitting monarch Queen Elizabeth II, and supplemented with Michael Sheen's well-honed Tony Blair, "The Queen" makes a staunch Australian Republican like myself feel a large amount of sympathy for the Royals, and the Queen in particular, which is a great achievement on their part. I can, though, see where some Monarchists may have found room to dislike the portrayal, with the traditionalist stance of the very popular Queen Mother turning her into a rather unlikeable character in this film.

But, all in all, it's hard to find a British political drama more engaging than this one. Stephen Frears has really done an amazing job with it.
December 29, 2013
Excellent film from veteran director Stephen Frears who brushes here the portrait of the most famous woman on the planet with a sense of wisdom, grace & humanity rarely shown towards such an historical figure.
December 8, 2013
Helen Mirren lysande som vanligt. Om dagarna när Lady Diana dog och hur detta hanterades av den engelska kungafamiljen.
January 20, 2011
Fascinating look at the political impact of the turbulent weeks following the death of Princess Diana on both the newly elected Labor Prime Minister. Mr.Tony Blair and on the British Royal Family. Helen Mirren and Michael Sheen are extraordinarily good in their roles as the Queen and the Prime Minister respectively,