Queen of the Damned Reviews

½ March 7, 2013
Cannot understand why my fellow vampire lovers raved about this movie. It's so bad. The special effects, music, acting, story, and uh, well almost everything about it was bad. The only thing slightly redeeming it, is the mood it creates. Unfortunately there isn't a good story to follow when you get into it. I'm sure the book was a lot better.
TheDudeLebowski65
½ January 9, 2012
Queen of the Damned is a terrible vampire film based on the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. As a fan of vampire films, I thought that this film simply a missed opportunity to create something good. The film fails on so many levels. The cast is horrible and the plot is unimpressive. As a vampire film, Queen of the Damned is one of the worst that I've seen. This had the potential of being a great horror flick, unfortunately the film just doesn't deliver. The plot is poorly constructed and uninteresting Aaliyah is horrible in the lead, and she's not really convincing in the role. As a matter of fact she really can't act.. The film isn't effective as a horror film, and definitely isn't as memorable as so many other vampire films that came before it. Director Michael Rymer's directing is sloppy, and the end product is a film that is dull, boring, silly and overall a waste of time. Queen of the damned had the potential of being a great film, however due to a bad script, bad cast and bad directing, this film never does succeed at being a good vampire flick. The only thing that the film succeeds at doing is being a forgettable vampire film. As a whole, this film just doesn't cut it, and offers nothing new to the genre. This an entirely forgettable film that is simply put a waste of time. If you enjoy a good vampire film, you won't find it here. This film is awful.
½ July 2, 2007
A totally different type of Vampire film to The interview with the Vampire. It uses the same character Lestat from the first, who now awakes in current times, and decides to become a rock star....much to the anger of many other Vampires. It was an ok film, pity it didn't have a better story, or bigger budget. The effects are ok, the most enjoyable part was learning some history of Lestat's character. Overall not bad if you like Vampire films but a poor follow on from the first film.
½ June 19, 2009
Starring: Mr. "the crow part 2" aaaaaand Ms. hot black but not totally black singer chick who died in that awful plane crash but makes up for being a dead person by playing a dead vampire and not very well but its ok cause shes only in the film for the last ten minutes and doesn't say much other than, "bow to me and shit" and even if she was in the movie the whole time it wouldn't matter cause her audience can't recognize good line-reading but what they do know is good music which is why we have performing all the songs for the film... the guy from Korn!
½ May 17, 2008
soudtrack rocks..movie's meh...
March 27, 2007
Looks flashy but is ultimately a watered down teen-orientated version of the excellent novel.
February 2, 2008
stands above other vampire genre films as a worthwhile investment of time
½ January 28, 2008
Decent tropical vampire movie with american-atlantic bite
garyX
April 28, 2007
Another Anne Rice novel makes it to the big screen, complete with the usual frock-coated homo-eroticism and pseudo-gothic romanticism. It's the kind of film that probably really appeals to pubescent goth girls who get a kick out of watching shirtless, pouty, long-haired men spout poetry and wrestle with each other to a sub-standard Nine Inch Nails style soundtrack. None of these ingredients appeal to me however, and so I can view it with rather more objectivity. And the fact is, it's not very good. The plot is listless, there's little drama, and as appealing as Aaliyah looks in her vampire queen garb, she has little to do save, well, look appealing. But by far the biggest flaw is in the direction, which is dreadfully amateurish; Rymer clearly has no idea how to direct action and it's full of horribly cornball visual effects. Probably a riot for those who want nothing more than fetish wear and nu-metal, but The Crow had far more style and Interview is a much more sophisticated movie.
August 31, 2007
I'm sorry that this is how we remember Aaliyah on the big screen. Choose your roles carefully.
August 8, 2007
Brilliant. Stuart Townsend is the most beautiful vampire that I have ever seen, lol.
thefog1331
June 5, 2007
Pure blasphamy. This is what I was afraid 'Interview' was going to turn out like.
July 15, 2007
A very interesting vampire movie. Different than and barely a sequel to "Interview With A Vampire", which is sort of a good thing. Stuard Townsend is a great "Lestat" rock star. The song performances are probably the greatest thing about this movie. The spooky vampires in the crowd of the concert were cool. It had a good vampire love story too; with Lestat falling for one of his fans, Marguerite Moreau, as opposed to Aaliyah, who was more a monster than an interesting character. The scenes in ancient Egypt were nicely contrasted with those in modern Los Angeles.
½ October 6, 2006
Boo! And not the scary kind, either. The "you suck" kind...
November 1, 2006
Highly lacklustre considering the immediate comparison point (Queen is based on Anne Rice's follow-up to Interview With The Vampire), QotD follows the story of Lestat as he rises from a self-imposed 'eternal sleep' to begin a music career, feeding on the Gen-X pop-darkness ideal to form a congregation.
Despite the general nonsense of the result, the backstory is very interesting, as we see how the vampires' Queen Akasha was once in command of massive armies in Ancient Egypt, alongside her King. Aaliyah does give a ratehr creidble performance (her last) as the parasitic seductress, only interested in enslaving, but the structure makes it very clear that the screenplay is based on two novels.
Townsend is terrible by comparison, as far as I'm concerned he watched Interview and thought he was playing Louis, the world-weary vamp reluctant to reach for the stars.
The soundtrack itself is very nu-metal (ie, rubbish), and of course gives it a very straight-to-video feel. Could have been much better.
½ October 3, 2006
sh##
July 3, 2006
The sets and soundtrack made this movie, and Stuart Townsend was a much better Lestat than Tom Cruise. Despite the annoying French accent and the weakass performance by the female lead, this movie was beautiful to look at and hear. I for one really liked the story, but I didn't think that Akasha had a lofty enough reason to kill just everybody. It was much better in the book.
½
I sat here on my computer looking at the rating box that scrolls by every few seconds. That is when I saw it, a movie that I blocked out of my mind for awhile. A movie so bad I wanted to watch Land of the Dead and Texas Chainsaw Massacre:The Next Generation back to back. I give to you the worst movie ever made. I'll give you a quick hint as to why its so bad: A Rock N Roll vampire.
December 7, 2012
Anne Rice's The Vampire Chronicles series continues in Queen of the Damned. The story follows the vampire Lestat, who rises to fame as a rock star, but his music awakens the Vampire Queen from her eternal sleep, freeing her to wreak havoc upon the mortal world. The performances are terrible, as is the script. And the storytelling is poor; as it meanders between seemingly unrelated plots until it rushes to an inexplicable conclusion. Queen of the Damned has none of the allure that its predecessor had, and is a rather pathetic attempt to resurrect the franchise.
½ August 10, 2010
What a disapointment after "Interview" !
Stuart Townsend Boo!