Quest for Fire Reviews

½ February 28, 2015
What an interesting and amazing film. The director is excellent because he manages with this story to explore and question what we know about our long lost relative ancestors. It's really well written, perfectly acted and very well shot. A film that will definitely trigger your curiosity.
January 18, 2015
Otra que quiero volver a ver la vi el 84 , 85 ? no recuerdo
August 15, 2007
It could be a disaster if it had dialogues!!!
I love this film.
½ July 14, 2014
I often think about how different our lives would be without language. Our dependence upon words for communication goes so deep that even the vast majority of our thoughts are verbal. A person in our society with no understanding of words or language would have great difficulty in life, and they would have trouble maintaining meaningful relationships in the Western World. The 1981 film Quest for Fire gives us a glimpse into what it would be like to live in prehistoric times, before the conveniences of modern languages. Because of this, most of the film's script is composed of grunts or primitive phrases that may seem too humorous for many viewers to take seriously. However, the film as a whole is a rather moving tale of the culture and struggles of early man.

To be honest, I don't know the name of a single character in this movie, and for the most part, that doesn't matter. The film begins with a tribe of Neanderthals, the Ulam, who have fire that they are able to carry with them in a makeshift bone satchel. Without the knowledge of how to start a fire themselves, the fire in the satchel must always stay lit in order for the people to have both warmth and light. After an attack from an apelike tribe, the Ulam lose their fire, and three young men from the tribe set out with the satchel on a journey to glean fire from another source and return it to the tribe.

At first I thought that the lack of language in Quest for Fire would be a difficult obstacle for director Jean-Jacques Annaud to overcome, but it turns out that the non-verbal script actually serves the setting of the film quite well. Without words, only raw thoughts and emotions come from the characters, and their lack of understanding of the world around them adds to the wonder of the film. More effective tools and weapons are discovered slowly throughout the movie. When the trio are encountered by a pack of wooly mammoths, the group treats them like gods. A bear attack feels much like an attack from a troll would in a fantasy film. In fact, Quest for Fire feels much more like a fantasy adventure than a historical account. Even though the plot takes place on earth, it's a version of earth that we have never experienced. This creates a setting for the film that is unlike any other that I've seen, and a sense of wonder that could rival Spielberg.

There are some parts in this film that are hard to take in. The Neanderthal in the movie haven't moved much beyond their animal predecessors, and their sense of morality is still developing. There are a handful of sex scenes in the film that seem like rape scenes at first, but play out like most sexual encounters do in the wild. You could say that some of these scenes are masochistic, but I think that such a comment would show a lack of understanding of the times. Soon after the trio's journey begins, they run into another tribe that actively partakes in cannibalism, an act that disgusts the three from the Ulam tribe. It is interesting to watch the characters develop their understanding of both morality and the world around them throughout the film, and later on in the story, I actually found myself invested in these grunting nomads.

The acting is fine, although it definitely isn't the focus of the film. Everett McGill plays the leader of the trio, accompanied by a young Ron Perlman and Nameer El-Kadi. The group is later joined by a woman, played by Rae Dawn Chong, from a tribe that is a bit more developed than the Ulam. The interactions between her and the Neanderthal group are believable, and they work for what the film requires. The real praise for Quest for Fire, however, should go to Annaud for such a masterfully crafted adventure. The costumes and makeup are great, the sets feel real and believable, and the whole experience is quite breathtaking. The French filmmaker does a great job transporting the audience into this world, a feat that many of his contemporaries from this time were not able to emulate.

I'm not going to say that this movie is perfect. It lacks a certain sense of congruency that we see in the narrative of other cinematic classics, and there are a few scenes that seem unnecessary, even if they give Perlman's character a chance to provide some comic relief. Also, even though I enjoyed the script consisting of grunts and primitive language, I can see how some viewers might find this to be grating. I'd be lying, however, if I said that I didn't fully enjoy Quest for Fire. It is one of the most creative and risky films that I've ever seen, and despite the main characters' lack of intelligence, the film ends up being a rather smart adventure. Quest for Fire is one of those forgotten gems from the 80s that most from people from my generation haven't seen, and one that I hope to introduce my friends to soon.
½ April 13, 2014
A remarkable film that is able to convey everything without the use of intelligible dialogue thanks to a string of wonderful performances. It's as much about the power of the human spirit as the quest for discovery and fire. This is a genuinely unique and original film with arresting visuals and soundtrack. Savage and brutal yet a fascinating, tense, humorous and touching film.
March 20, 2014
belgesel k?vam?nda, ba?ar?l? bir film.
September 7, 2013
Entertaining and engaging, Quest for Fire is a solid jaunt.
February 22, 2014
While it can be repetitive on some standing still scenes, Quest for Fire correctly portrays the early human race in its unexpected next step to evolve as a society. I'm going to be a bit too deep on why this works, because a film with practically no legible language surely requires some deep analysis.

Quest for Fire works because it does put on screen how the primitive human race started to learn, adapt, think and even communicate via signs, facial expressions and mimics, way before we learn to have actual dialogue. It puts also how important the fire was for the world, and it's even put correctly on the first text of the movie: having fire meant having life. Through the movie, we see how some tribes relentlessly killed for this element, how much they risked to get such element, how far they needed to go, and we even get to see how our main characters learn to produce fire instead of having to go to the other side of the earth to get it. This movie also subtly puts how important women are in our evolution and develop as a race: one of them teaches our main character to be loved and even how to make love...that's weird but adequate, somehow. Also, she teaches the main character's tribe to produce fire, so, mission accomplished. Overall, Quest for Fire is an analysis on the mind of the early human.

It also has some funny stuff there, never too slapstick to feel like a comedy. A film without legible dialogue sure is hard to make, but director Jean-Jacques Annaud nailed it with this movie's crispt direction, pacing, humor and good execution. An entertaining film about the origins of communication.
February 10, 2014
best movie ever. anyone can view it and understand it. just wonderful'
February 7, 2014
It is remarkable what the writers could do with just basically nothing. Like playing with fire.
½ February 3, 2014
Just watched it for the second time and it was well worth it. Going to try to make fire with sticks too.
January 28, 2014
powerful pic i really liked this and have seen it several times
½ October 6, 2013
This movie has a series of very interesting traits, the not least important being the absence of modern language use. Not one word spoken on the screen (and they are not many) is uttered in any language intelligeble to contemporary ears. It really challenges the viewer to think about what life must have been like before language was developed. Aside from some seeming anachronisms that feel a bit jarring, the film manages to maintain this pre-historice tone throughout the narrative. Very interesting project.
½ August 29, 2013
A journey through the essence of the human spirit--Unique prehistoric survival adventure!!
½ August 27, 2013
89%
The Quest for Fire...what an amazing movie.
½ August 10, 2013
Interesting take on early humans, but it feels much longer than it is. Slow plot. But fun seeing Ron Perlman in one of his earlier roles. I bet they didn't have to use as much makeup on him as the rest of the cast...
August 3, 2013
i loved it, but I cannot make myself watch it again.
July 20, 2013
helt ok för att vara 31 ĺr gammal.
July 19, 2013
This is one of the worst movies ever made. It's just too dumb.
½ November 2, 2009
I saw this once in the theater upon its release and intend to rent it.