The Quiet Earth Reviews

September 17, 2014
A remake of 1959's The World The Flesh And The Devil, but set in New Zealand. The opening is good (one man facing the possibility of being the last man on earth), but the essential dramatic qualifying dilemma (2 guys at the end of the world ... and only one woman - it's movie gold!) is inexplicably downplayed which very nearly guts the thing.
Still, some interesting moments, though it's better to see the original.
flixsterman
January 20, 2009
Surprisingly engaging and philosophical. One of science fiction's hidden gems.
September 6, 2010
This is one of those post-apocalypse movies. It's kind of slow, but atmospheric and weird, in a good way. I really enjoyed it.
puffchunk
March 10, 2008
Fun movie. I like how each character thought different stuff about what happened to them, and how the one guy becomes president of the world. I also love black men in the 70's, and how they go jogging in leather pants.
February 6, 2008
A man awakes to find himself being the last man on earth. His reactions to this rather surprising development reach from confusion, over a couple of rather humorous scenes to the early stages of madness, some of which are more believable than others. The explanation for everything is rather nonsensical and once we discover he isn't alone one has to wonder if people would really act the way some characters occasionally do. However, the atmosphere is pretty gloomy and the general idea really interesting, it all makes for an entertaining movie after all. Only the solution kinda leaves you wondering what the heck was going on.
½ March 1, 2011
I would dread writing a professional review of "The Quiet Earth," because if I were seeing this New Zealand film for the first time, I wouldn't want any pre-knowledge of its content beyond the fundamental premise: a research scientist wakes up one morning and finds that the global energy project he works on has malfunctioned and vaporized everyone else on Earth.

On the other hand, if you're viewing this film's Flixster page, you see a cast list of more than one person and an official trailer that shows the three main characters. So, it's no secret that scientist Zac eventually discovers at least two other survivors: an attractive redhead and a Maori brute.

With this preamble out of the way, let's say "The Quiet Earth" spends most of its time making the viewer imagine what he would do if he were alone on Earth and had all of civilization as his personal playground. The filmmakers create a convincing depiction of an empty metropolis, and we see Zac both indulge himself with empty luxury and, more pragmatically, try to diagnose what went wrong and see if there is any solution.

The other two characters behave less wisely, which is somewhat frustrating, but perhaps they should be forgiven -- after all, they're not scientists. But whatever misgivings the film accumulates are largely erased by an awe-inspiring close that is "2001: A Space Odyssey"-like in its majesty and provocative ambiguity. And up until those final minutes, you'll have no idea where the story is headed. So, please be patient.

This review could not be complete without adding that composer John Charles turns in a classy, orchestrated score that perfectly accents the story's poignancy.
Harlequin68
½ April 26, 2010
"The Quiet Earth" starts at 6:11 am with Zac Hobson(Bruno Lawrence) lying naked on a bed in a motel. At 6:12, the world changes and he soon discovers that he is the only person left. Much to his dismay, he finds that it may have had something to do with his job as a research scientist at Project Flashlight. He does not give up hope for survivors, broadcasting on the radio and putting up signs but no response, even as he moves into a classier neighborhood. With nobody around, he dresses in women's clothing which is followed by insanity. Then, his world changes again.

"The Quiet Earth" is an engaging and low tech science fiction movie that takes a creative approach to depicting a suddently empty world with one memorably trippy effect.(And relax, there are explosions.) This was made in 1985 when the Cold War was still ongoing. At this point there were scientific proposals like the Strategic Defense Initiative which was some sick person's idea of a good time. So, not only did people have to be afraid of nuclear weapons but also of scientists playing god by coming up with more creative nightmares. To reinforce this notion, the movie does have it share of religious imagery and themes. And I especially liked the ending, even if I have no idea what it is supposed to mean.
½ June 17, 2015
A really interesting film that looks at human nature in a number of different ways. About the potential risks involved when "playing god" and messing with science on an atomic level. But what do we do, should we stop experimenting and learning and leave things as they are. Should we not build the Large Hadron Collider for example for fear of creating a black hole? I had a conversation with someone of a religious persuasion that said we should stop but this person also said that there was no guarantee that sciences prediction that our sun would die is accurate so make of that what you will?

Zac is a scientist who wakes up one morning to discover that he is alone in the world. Initially he is stoked about this and does the kind of things that a lot of us would do. This includes driving a car through a mall like in The Blues Brothers, dressing in woman's underwear, drinking champagne for breakfast and moving into a penthouse suite. Admittedly the second example is an acquired taste but don't knock it till you try it is what I say!!! He goes to work and realises that what he has been working on may have been a contributory factor to what has happened.
He then starts to go a little bit mad in the head in his own company. He declares himself president of the quiet earth and gives a speech to assembled cardboard audience which included Bob Marley, The Pope, Elvis, Adolf Hitler and The Queen. He then later has a moment of clarity and does some experiments where he deduces that the very fabric of the universe has fundamentally changed. He predicts another occurrence is likely.

Another part of human nature that is explored in this is our inner built desire to be social. What happens if we are denied this interaction, the politics involved in sexual attraction and how we can become wildly protective of this in the same way that you see on nature programs observing a pride of lions, herd of wildebeest or a gathering of chest beating primates down your local discothèque all presumably competing for the female that is wearing the least and showing the most. I assume that such matters are normally settled with a game of Hungry Hippos, conkers or possibly a round of Jägerbombs. How basic reason and sensibleness (made up word) might be disregarded the moment a bit of totty enters the equation and the testosterone levels rise.

An intriguing film done on a small budget back in the 80s and I liked how it achieved the sense of isolation. I also love films with open endings and The Quiet Earth doesn't disappoint in the regard.
DrLappos
½ February 23, 2008
Extremely odd aussie movie I saw when I was a little drunk.....still good film though.
½ December 18, 2011
A refreshing sci-fi with interesting dynamics between the main characters. I didn't care much for the "blame America for all the world's problems" theme, but it wasn't too distracting. The ending was thought-provoking.
June 4, 2010
Blames America for something even though the secret to stopping it appears to be located in New Zealand ("this is when science didn't have a specific purpose"), then ends in a large explosion. Interesting and morbidly fun to contemplate.
½ December 9, 2008
I like the empty town but too weird for my taste. Not as good as night of the comet and/or 28 days later
October 8, 2008
FANTASTICAL MOVIE IF YOU LIKE OMEGA MAN LAST MAN ON EARTH AND 28 DAYS YOU MIGHT ENJOY THIS MOVIE... THE DUDE RUNS AROUND IN WOMENS UNDERWEAR COMPLETELY INSANE AND BLOWS THINGS UP FANTASTIC ENDING!
September 24, 2008
One of my new favorites. A man in New Zealand awakes to find everyone on the planet has vanished except him. Goes to some wacky, but strangely logical places. Lots of fun.
July 26, 2008
Great movie, reminds me of 2001 Space Odyssey. Special effects are kinda simple, but its an older movie. Acting is pretty good overall though the yelling at times seems a bit much. Interesting story and characters.
March 9, 2008
This British movie is kinda simple, but it really makes you think. And 20 years after it's release it still applies. Good show.
August 9, 2007
very interesting and funny at times, he should have taken more things from the mall, or taken the woman back to the mall....
½ July 1, 2007
Great film that explores something that all of us have probably explored at one time or another: what would you do if you were the only person on Earth? The small budget is a little bit of a hinderance here, as it does make some of the effects seem cheesy; but it doesn't take too much out of the experience. Worth a watch for the sci fi thinkers out there.
June 21, 2006
YEAH!! *Finally* out on DVD, this New Zealand gem is one of the best "last man alive" flicks ever. The story moves at a decent pace, and the ending gives you a bit to think about. Two thumbs WAY up!!
December 28, 2006
Interesting British film even though it's not exactly action packed. Worth seeing once, maybe more for some.