• PG-13, 1 hr. 31 min.

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Rabbit Hole Reviews

Alice S

March 24, 2012
Most movies of plays are just filmed versions of the plays, but playwright David Lindsay-Abaire actually uses the medium of film to create atmosphere, momentum, and chemistry. The play is a lot of TELL - and rather good, imagistic TELL; it won a freakin' Pulitzer - but in this adaptation, we get to see all the SHOW: Becca and Jason's acquaintanceship evolving throughout the movie (instead of just in the penultimate scene in the original script), Becca punching out a random mom at the grocery store, Becca breaking down at seeing Jason going to Prom.

Nicole Kidman deserved her Oscar nod. Her posture is stooped, her eyes are bored but darty, and she gets so close to crying but never does (until the end). Miles Teller (who plays cute and dorky Willard in the new Footloose) is wonderful as the repentant teenager. In disagreement with Flixster reviewer, Jim Hunter, I was rather impressed with Aaron Eckhart's emotional outburst. He didn't seem so much angry as heartbroken and at the end of his rope.

However, upon second viewing, I find the movie much sadder than the play, which DLA explicitly said not to do in his script notes. The music is sad and mellow and the shots of Becca's day-to-day life overdramatize her dazed emptiness. Izzy, the fuck-up sister, is also under-utilized whereas she provides much necessary comic relief in the play.
Daniel P

April 19, 2011
A promising premise, but in all a film that's - sorry - kind of boring. There's plenty of pain and struggle, but little intrigue as this couple makes it way toward normal after the death of their son. I don't really understand why, other than her being Nicole Kidman, the Academy nominated Nicole Kidman for Best Actress in this film. And to do so at the cost of ignoring Aaron Eckhart in the Best Actor category seems particularly absurd.

The steam seems to go out of this one when the subplots start to pay out, around the two-thirds mark, but stick with it for the ending, it's one of several powerful moments you'll find here. A good movie, but one that would have been better had it not insisted on being even this long - a 75-minute version with fewer side characters might have struck an even stronger chord.
Nicki M

October 2, 2012
Good movie about a couple dealing with the death of their son. It's slow moving, and I don't think for everyone, but acting is good and I enjoyed it. I think once was enough though, not one to watch over and over.
Tired of Previews
Tired of Previews

December 12, 2011
Directed by John Cameron Mitchell, Olympus Pictures, 2010. Starring Nicole Kidman, Aaron Eckhart, Sandra Oh and Dianne Wiest.

Genre: Drama

Question: When you are sad, do you hate it when people tell you how to feel and act so you are no longer sad?

Rabbit Hole, starring Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart, takes on a family's tragedy and it's aftermath with how the mother (Nicole Kidman) copes with the death of her 4 year-old son. Not a light subject but I was thoroughly engrossed with this woman's plight and how she handled it all. I found it fascinating that everyone around her kept telling her how to feel and react to get over "it". Her reactions, to the constant barrage of advice, was not something I have seen on film much. For that alone I recommend this film.

I cannot relate to the specific tragedy this woman (couple) must go through but everyone has been sad at one time or another. We have all had things in our lives that take us on a course down a dark road of uncertainty. Clawing back to the light to what feels normal and safe is difficult especially when friends abandon you, others try to relate their experiences to yours and all you want to do is curl up in a ball and be left alone. The film shows that not everyone handles other's grief well or with respect sometimes.

Does Rabbit Hole give any sort of advice on how to handle the overwhelming sadness, emptiness or helplessness? You will have to see for yourself, but it did show that everyone deals with their pain and suffering differently. How and when they begin to get past their loss is as individual as the person. Not only had Nicole Kidman's character have something bad happen to her world but their were other characters in Rabbit Hole that also conveyed how people deal with consequences that are thrust upon them.

Rabbit Hole was a tender and poignant film. Nicole Kidman with Aaron Eckhart did a fantastic job at exposing the underbelly of how a couple handles the tragic death of their child. Anger, resentment and the search for closeness with others in order to feel something other than pain are all present in this story. There were times of humor and a cathartic need to take a large sigh during some scenes. But above all, the overwhelming sadness that had taken over the grieving mother (Nicole Kidman) and then her pursuit to be left alone to discover her own path out her darkness was awe-inspiring. Kidman outdid herself on keeping the subject matter palpable and relatable even if you have never lost a child.

Does this film have a happy ending? Well, I won't say but the journey that was exposed was worth watching because how authentic the story was portrayed.

My favorite thing: Nicole Kidman's performance.

My least favorite thing: Can't really think of anything at the moment.

Rating: PG-13
Length: 91 minutes

Review: 8 out of 10
Raymond W

February 28, 2011
Despite having a fantastic script and stunning performances from Nicole Kidman, Aaron Eckhart and the rest of the cast, Rabbit Hole is very painful and depressing to watch. It didn't hit me as hard as it might hit other people, but for me, Rabbit Hole was powerful and emotional, and just blew me away.
Kase V

October 19, 2011
'Rabbit Hole' is a very well made drama that has a sad story at it's core, but us not too hard to watch. Anyone can watch this film and be satisfied with the characters attitudes and emotions and not feel that heavy burden of misery that these films sometimes try to force on you. Of course, it ha filled with great performances from Kidman and Eckhart, who really fill out the the characters completely. This is an intriguing, and interesting look into the usual type of drama we've all become tired of seeing. 'Rabbit Hole' is fresh and well-executed.
Jason R

February 3, 2011
It's not going to brighten your day, but Aaron Eckhart and Nicole Kidman give a pair of performances that you're not going to see very often. What is remarkable about this movie is that it manages not to be unwatchable despite the subject matter -- it ably communicates the subtleties of pain dulled by time rather than going for what would have been easy emotional cheap shots.

In a sentence, Rabbit Hole is art rather than entertainment. Highly recommended if you're in the mood.
Cynthia S

December 16, 2010
Oh my. I just finished watching this..and my heart hurts. An absoutely raw, and truthful, portrayal of the shades of grief. Not a feel good at all, so probably not for everyone. However, top of the line acting all around here. Should have won awards, not only nominated, in my opinion.
cosmo313
cosmo313

July 21, 2011
This is the powerful and moving story of Howie and Becca, a couple struggling to cope with the loss of their 4 year-old son Danny after his death 8 months earlier in an accident. The film is a downer, but there is hope, and there are moments of levity and peace, so it's not a complete bummer to sit through.

I will say that it is probably one of the most thoughtful and realistic movies about dealing with grief and loss, although that's kind of relative since no two people ever deal with it in the same way. Still though, when it comes to dealing with a tough subject, this film gets it right.

The acting is superb. Both Eckhart and Kidman shine as the grieving parents struggling to keep it all together, but Kidman's performance just might be a bit more devastating and notable. The supproting players, especially Dianne Wiest, are really good as well. I quite enjoyed Miles Teller's performance as Jason, the young man who accidentally killed Danny.

John Cameron Mitchell handles the material in a very sensitive way that is never overbearing, and never too cynical nor too sentimental. It can be hard to watch certain scenes, but the film is very authentic and every viewer will probably be able to relate in some way.

I really wasn't sure how I would feel about this movie. I can't say I was looking forward to seeing it, given the subject matter, but I heard the buzz about the acting, so that's the main reason I got interested. I am glad I watched this. My day is a little less sunny now, but I don't feel emotionally wrecked or anything.

You should really see this. The performances are amazing, and the way everything is handled is very tasteful, and the film is quite insightful with how it presents the various ways people cope with grief and the way it affects life.
Anthony L

July 22, 2011
A difficult subject to make a film about - It may have been based on a Pulitzer Prize-winning play but that is no guaranty that it was ever going to work on film, so hats off to the director and actors. John Cameron Mitchell isn't such a one-trick pony after all which is nice to see, no ego's here, he gave the story the respect and care it deserved and all credit to him, begs the question, why has he only made 3 films so far? The acting is also of a very high standard - Eckhart and Wiest are on good form as always, as is Kidman but I have to say, she is a love/hate actor for me and since Margot at the Wedding I've really struggled to enjoy her films - I digress, good performance, not worthy of all the award nominations I didn't think but good non the less. It was Miles Teller's subtle but poignant performance that really impressed me, his characters involvement in the story really gave the film its edge and really sets it apart from some of its 'Independent' contemporaries.
Thomas J

November 29, 2010
The dark subject of this movie brings and dark experience for the viewer as well. But unlike other dark themed movies, I did not want to help find a solution, I just wanted it to end. I had too much sympathy for the cause of darkness.
Spencer S

December 16, 2010
A simple and unsanctimonious vision of the death of a child, not everyone will be able to comprehend, or even sit through all of this in its entirety. The grief portrayed by Kidman and Eckhart is unsettling; Becca is in denial, though open to forgiveness by the one person she should vow to hate. Howie, on the other hand, would like to move on, but comes to terms with his emotions in the wrong fashion. The performances by both are extraordinary, Kidman a powerhouse of awkward emotions and socially unacceptable behavior. She's outspoken and rude in most instances, but is apologized for with the subtext of grief. Still, she continually follows and talks to her son's killer, a high schooler with a numb personality, but an amazing outlet in the form of a comic book called Rabbit Hole. The plot is unavoidably predictable and full of clichés that Oscar nominated films possess, but there's something so sinister and disturbing about the parent's torment, that everything is made up for in the desperation in Eckhart's eyes and the volcanic anger on Kidman's face. A great character study.
LWOODS04
LWOODS04

December 11, 2009
Cast: Nicole Kidman, Aaron Eckhart, Dianne Wiest, Miles Teller, Tammy Blanchard, Sandra Oh, Giancarlo Esposito, Jon Tenney, Stephen Mailer, Mike Doyle

Director: John Cameron Mitchell

Summary: In this raw drama based on David Lindsay-Abaire's Pulitzer Prize-winning play of the same name, Becca (Nicole Kidman) and Howie (Aaron Eckhart) grapple with the realities of life eight months after the death of their 4-year-old son, Danny. Even with Becca's well-meaning mother (Dianne Wiest) offering comfort and weekly group therapy always available, the couple go about their own secret ways of coping.

My Thoughts: "Bravo to Nicole Kidman. I can't remember when her acting has been SO good. She blew me away with her performance. You felt every bit of her pain and anger. Aaron Eckhart also put in a great performance. They both portrayed their character's in an raw and honest way. I was most interested in the interaction between Becca and Jason. At first I didn't understand what her intention was following the school bus around, but eventually it's revealed. What it must take her, being the grieving mother, and him, the reason for her pain, anger, and grief, to just sit near one another. It was a bit tense and sad. Great performance by Miles Teller as well. I felt as much sympathy for Jason as I did for Becca and Howie. Great story with really great performances."
Lanning :

April 30, 2011
Gadzooks, this is an awesome film! Sheez, who am I trying to kid, man? -- no pun intended. I give up already. This is not awesome; it's aw-ful. If I had more energy, I'd add it to mine and Walter's list of partial-watched-ness ho-hummers. But it's not even worth that much energy. Borating ridiculous. Nicole Kidman . . . is someone I won't waste anymore viewing energy on, prepositionally-sentence-endingly -- or as English majors might say it, she is an "actor" upon whom I will not waste anymore viewing time. Really awful. Diane Wiest . . . long time, no problem. Sandra Oh, oh no. Aaron Ekhart, uh, Ek! Tammy who? -- who the borat cares. Giancarlo, ah, something-a-ma-jig, oh, yeah, Esposito? Who??? Exclamation mark. Man, this one is baaaaad. And I gave it THREE tries. Dumb.
flixsterman
flixsterman

April 15, 2010
Heart-wrenching tale of a husband and wife struggling to come to terms with the death of their four year old son. A hard watch for empathetic souls (like me) but highly recommended.
blkbomb
blkbomb

May 13, 2011
This movie was pretty good in it's own subtle, sad way. Great performances by Nicole Kidman, Aaron Eckhart, Dianne Wiest, and Miles Teller save the movie from being the melodramatic crap some are calling it. Overall I was satisfied with the way the overused plot was used to show the characters sadness and guilt.
DreamExtractor
DreamExtractor

May 8, 2011
What a beautifully and heartwrenching film. Nicole Kidman and Aaron Eckhart deserved a lot of praise for this. The plot was genius, even if slow at times. It really can relate to other people in the world who've dealt with loss. In the end this movie was truly amazing, and the true gem of the movie is the truthfulness to real life situations.
jamers2011
jamers2011

December 2, 2010
I thought this was excellent! I was very surprised by this film; I expected it to be good, but it was better than what I imagined. Nicole Kidman received an Oscar nomination for he role...I originally just assumed the Academy threw her in the lineup simply because she's a star and generally good in all of her films. I was completely wrong, as I was with the film, also. This film was great...one of my favorites of 2010!

The film starts out a little slow, but once it picks up, it's so good. The thing I loved the most about the film is that the story is so common, yet completely real. I have never seen a film, dealing with the same basic plot line, feel as real as Rabbit Hole. The dialogue and screenplay was absolutely fantastic. I literally felt like I could have been standing in a neighbors home; the script was so realistic. The acting that went along with the fantastic script: Superb! Nicole Kidman gives a truly great performance. One of the best of her career, and absolutely worthy of her Oscar nomination. Aaron Eckhart also gives a fantastic performance...definitely among the best performances of his career. Hats off the supporting cast as well: Dianne Wiest, Tammy Blanchard, Miles Teller, and Sandra Oh...they all give very solid performances.

I cannot speak more highly of this film! It truly blew me away. It was so simple, but real beyond belief. The acting is solid all across the board. See this film! I can't recommend it enough!
Jennifer X

April 30, 2011
It does an excellent job of portraying grief, but the music and scenery are all a touch too whimsical for me.
Dan S

April 29, 2011
A touching, moving portrayal of a couple (Nicole Kidman, Aaron Eckhart) dealing with the death of their four-year old son, and all the little reminders they deal with on a daily basis concerning their fallen angel. Instead of amping the drama up to an unbearable melodramatic level, director John Cameron Mitchell methodically ushers in his power and message through his characters, all while giving his audience an ending that should leave one devastated. Kidman turns in arguably her best turn since 2003's "Dogtown" (a near-masterpiece in its own right), and this really gives the movie an extra push into "greatness" territory. Unlike the melodramatic and at times unbelievably scripted "Reservation Road", which also dealt with a couple losing their son, Mitchell plays his cards right, and lets Kidman work her magic, and the result is something wonderful. A must-see for any parent, and certainly a film worth anyone's time, for that matter.