RT on DVD: Rachel Getting Married, Milk Lead Super Fresh New Releases

Summary

Home video enthusiasts, prepare yourself for what may be the best week ever! This week you'll have to choose between Academy Award flicks Rachel Getting Married (Best Actress Nominee, Anne Hathaway) and Milk (Best Actor, Sean Penn), plus a few films that should have been honored at this year's Oscars (Happy-Go-Lucky, Let the Right One In). Next, consider a Certified Fresh comedy (Role Models), a Charlie Kaufman original (Synecdoche, New York), and a pair of period pics (Cadillac Records, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas). We won't judge if you give Jason Statham's latest a spin (Transporter 3), but we do insist that Blu-ray viewers pay attention to a few key re-mastered releases (Pinocchio 70th Anniversary Edition, The Batman Anthology). Dig in to RT on DVD for more! Back to Article

Comments

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

I'll definitely be getting Synecdoche, New York and Milk tomorrow on Blu. I'll rent Let The Right One In, Rachel Getting Married, and I am kind of interested in seeing Caddilac Records. Good DVD week.

Mar 9 - 03:27 PM

WallEField

Matt Welch

Let The Right One In is by far the best of these, and should be the featured title considering it's the highest rated of these releases. Rachel Getting Married, meh. Milk, important commentary but could've been better. Let The Right One In, beautifully shot, acted, and written. Should've been submitted by Sweden for Best Foreign Film and should've easily taken that Oscar.

Mar 9 - 03:31 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Yeah I really liked Milk, but I didn't find it amazing like some did. Still worth getting though I think.

Mar 9 - 05:16 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Mar 9 - 05:16 PM

tomwaitsjrHAPPYICONOCLAST

Greg Guro

This is the best week for DVD in as long as I can remember! I notice you have 11 instead of the usual 10 pages.

Netflix is gracing me with my choice for #1 DVD to get, "Let the Right One In."

Great job, as usual, Jen.

Also being released is the French film, "Un Secret."

Mar 9 - 05:17 PM

hh

Henry Ham

alicia silverstone batgirl = hot

Mar 9 - 05:28 PM

hdbngr63

Ryan Oliver

Definitely picking up Milk and Role Models tomorrow. Milk was the best film of last year and Role Models was a huge surprise and was funnier than hell. I would pick up the Batman set had it been Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but since it has the clunky, hit-and-miss Batman Forever and the god-awful Batman and Robin, it's not worth it.

Mar 9 - 05:44 PM

thejuggernautlives

Michael Dickson

I'll definitely be getting Let The Right One In, it is one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. I will also pick up Role Models, Happy-Go-Lucky, and Transporter 3 (even though it was the worst in the series, Jason Statham is amazing). I might rent some of the other ones.

Mar 9 - 06:05 PM

jokerboy1991

jack giroux

Oh yeah and I want to rent Happy Go Lucky, felt bad for not catching it in theaters... Also maybe I'll get Role Models some where down the line, it was pretty funny.

Mar 9 - 06:30 PM

mssk8erboy

First Last

I'm picking up Role Models and Let the Right One In for sure. I really want to get Synchdoche, NY, but i haven't seen it yet, any one have some input? Milk was really well done but I'm going to wait to pick it up and Rachel Getting Married I enjoyed but at parts i just felt too bad for Kym to enjoy it (the toast at the recital dinner) Anne Hathaway was good though.

-MIKE

Mar 9 - 07:04 PM

Jerry187606

Jerry Kohut

mssk8erboy, "Synecdoche NY" was one of my favorite films of last year, I saw it three times and I still don't fully understand it. But it has great replay value as it is really funny and very touching towards the end. If you are a fan of Kaufman's than it is a must-see.

I will be getting "Synecdoche NY," "Let the Right One In," and "Milk," on Blu-Ray and will be getting "Role Models" and "Happy-Go-Lucky" on DVD. I'll pick up "Rachel Getting Married" on DVD used at Blockbuster in a month.

Mar 9 - 08:45 PM

BMS1234

brandon sideleau

Damn...great week for DVDs....I'd love to buy Milk but I'm strapped for cash...looks like I have a lot of movies to rent tomorrow. One of those rare weeks that is full of movies that I really want to see but failed to in theaters.

Mar 9 - 07:39 PM

bwozar

Bernard Ozarowski

Went on a bit on an Amazon Blu-Ray buying binge as this is a phenomenal week and am picking up:
Batman Anthology
Brokeback Mountain
Let the Right One In
Pinocchio
Rachel Getting Married
Role Models
Transporter 3

Mar 9 - 08:23 PM

Jerry187606

Jerry Kohut

Mar 9 - 08:45 PM

inactive user

Jared King

What I like about "Happy Go Lucky", is it isn't saying "Give me my Oscar" like "Boy in the Stripped Pajamas" or "Rachel Getting Married". Because it didn't scream "Give my Oscar", the Oscars didn't nominate Hawkins...right. I wanna see "Role Models", "Let the Right One In", and "Milk". I'm going to take this chance to again score the Batman films, from best to worst. Theatrical only.

1. The Dark Knight - (10/10)
2. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm - (10/10)
3. Batman Begins - (10/10)
4. Batman - (9/10)
5. Batman (60's) - (8/10)
6. Batman Returns - (7/10)
7. Batman Forever - (3/10)
8. Batman & Robin - (0/10)

I did reviews of te films in my journal, but nobody said if they liked them or not...sniff. Nice week for DVD's.

Mar 9 - 09:13 PM

vashfanatic

Martha Boatright

Ooh! I didn't realize "Let The Right One In" was coming out. I just put a hold on it at my library (hey, I'm broke, don't judge me!). I've had "Milk" on hold for a month now.

Roger Ebert's review of "Synechdoche, N.Y." was one of the most useless reviews I've ever read from him, it just... rambled. I guess he really liked it? I dunno, the whole "life as a play" thing is a little worn out for me, but I might give it a rent.

Mar 9 - 09:18 PM

Joe Utichi

Joe Utichi

WallEField: Fear not, Let the Right One In missed the release deadline for Sweden's Foreign Film entry by a couple of weeks which, by Academy rules, makes it eligible to be submitted NEXT year, not this past year. That category works differently to the main categories in that films have to release in their home territories by a certain date (somewhere around September) to qualify, regardless of when (and, indeed, if) they got a US release date.

Of course it's no guarantee Sweden won't choose something else next year, but until then we can officially not hate them!

Mar 9 - 11:55 PM

blattman

Mike Greenblatt

That was interesting Joe. I had no idea it worked like that. I hope it can stand the wait.

Mar 10 - 12:17 AM

Zaraki

Rick V

HAH the batman anthology = waste of my money. Only Batman and Batman Returns are any good. The rest on that "anthology" are best forgotten.

Mar 10 - 12:58 AM

Wall E.

Wall E

Quite an amazing listing there. Let the Right One In, Milk, and Happy-Go-Lucky are all incredible, and I enjoyed Rachel Getting Married and Synecdoche, NY as well.

Mar 10 - 02:01 AM

Kudos Mooney

Jeremy Mullins

Well, I might just have to tell my wife that the Canon Rebel XT I was planning on buying her might actually have to wait. This week will make me a very broke man. Ramen noodles, here I come!

Mar 10 - 04:23 AM

Iceman Cometh

Adam Levin

if you missed role models in theatres, definitely rent it - its hilarious!

Mar 10 - 11:21 AM

Ant-Man
Ant-Man

First pic of Marvel's Paul Rudd

Worst Summer Movies
Worst Summer Movies

We list the 60 worst since 1975

Scorecard 2014
Scorecard 2014

See where the summer movies rank

Best Comedy Actress