Rachel Getting Married Reviews

July 24, 2015
The beautifully emotional moments were overshadowed by drawn out wedding details that offered nothing to the story.
½ June 3, 2014
Beautifully shot to look like one long home video, Rachel Getting Married has a very intimate and authentic feeling, even if it does indulge in a few too many party scenes. A few thin plot points and a few thin characters here and there do not even begin to detract from the powerful and moving script and performances, especially that of Anne Hathaway, who portrays Kym as a charming, hysterical and deeply wounded but loving individual.
½ November 18, 2014
This is a great film but it has one fatal flaw which is that it needs much more editing. The director for some reason felt that we would like to see all of the events that go on at a wedding and shows several long scenes that has nothing to do with the plot of the movie. That being said when you get down to it, there is a good story here about Anne Hathaway dealing with being the black sheep in the family. There's a lot of drama and heart here. It'd probably be a five starer if not for the plodding and brooding pace, but hey you gotta review what's here.
February 27, 2015
A tremendous performance from Anne Hathaway that showed the perfect transition from her younger years into adult hood with mature roles. She is a knock out in every scene she is in. Rosemarie DeWitt is also amazing as the title character Rachel as is their birth mom Debra Winger. Great script, nice wedding video style camera work, and excellent direction from the master Jonathan Demme
February 21, 2015
I don't know what it is about this movie that makes it so extraordinary, but there is something. Maybe it's the fact that it's so realistic and raw. Definitely worth my time.
February 18, 2015
A character study of a dysfunctional family that centers around Kym, a model who has been in rehab for a drug habit, and her return to the family home in time for her sister's wedding. Hathaway is great as usual. The rest is drippy, sappy, emotional crap. There really is no point to this movie.
March 22, 2009
A riveting drama that I think many families can relate to in varying degrees. My one complaint is that this film could have definitely benefited from some tighter editing. They could have shaved a good thirty minutes off by chopping some of the scenes down.
November 19, 2014
Rachel Getting Married is raw and real, with a screenplay that captures the way weighted conversations between family members really goes down. Unfortunately, it spends a bit too much time meandering away from its characters.
November 2, 2014
A raw, real and emotionally powerful film driven by a fantastic Anne Hathaway performance. I have a feeling this may grow in stature over the years and come to be seen as one of the best movies of our time.
½ October 28, 2014
What a boring film. What story is the director trying to tell ? How some American families stage a wedding ? Not sure about Ann Hathaway in a lead role. Give this film a miss !
October 9, 2014
This might be the oddest reaction I've had to a movie in a long time. Overall, the movie was a complete bore. I think it was poorly directed by Jonathan Demme. The length was tantamount to watching paint dry. Granted, it was primarily centered around women, so drama is a given, but the extent and unending drama in this movie is unnecessary and quite stupid.

Yet...

Anne Hathaway, as nails-on-chalkboard irritating as she is in this movie, obviously pulls off a stunning performance since I completely removed Anne Hathaway from the role. She WAS Kym. And, thus, as bad as the movie was, Anne Hathaway moved up a level in my book. A fantastic performance definitely worthy of the Oscar nod.
September 18, 2014
Anne Hathaway is amazing in her role as Kym, a girl with severe emotional problems who is allowed weekend leave from a rehab unit in order to attend her sister's wedding. Rosemarie DeWitt is also impressive as Rachel. As the story unfolds and the skeletons come out of the closet, the movie captures the angst very well. So well in fact that it is sometimes uncomfortable to watch.The movie itself is overly long and many things remain unexplained which is frustrating.
½ September 13, 2014
Engrossing & interesting, 'Rachel Getting Married' transforms the viewer into a fly on the wall of a most dysfunctional family. Anne Hathaway rules the screen as recovering addict Kym, as Jonathan Demme captures every nuance and eye roll that takes place when Kym returns home for the weekend for her sister's wedding. Old demons resurface and nothing gets solved but grievances are aired and amends are attempted. The documentary style camera works wonderfully with the story, which thanks to a no nonsense approach from Jenny Lumet, pulls no punches. Scenes are longer and the actors can flex their muscles, while Demme watches and directs. The length slows the momentum at times and the story does have some repetitiveness, but nothing too detrimental. Recommended, especially for anyone going to a wedding. Try and top this all inclusive and drama filled affair.
½ September 2, 2014
Anne Hathaway sulks as her bourgeois family yaps about an impending wedding. The beautiful Hathaway does have some decent dramatic scenes as do a few other members of the cast. My big issue with the movie is the revelation of Kym's accidental past, which didn't work for me in ways that I cannot dive into with giving away spoilers. I just don't think that a family would be that forgiving for such a loss. Rachel Getting Married isn't really bad but I wouldn't really recommend it.
September 1, 2014
Anne Hathaway throws away her formulaic heroine trademark in favor of a truly compelling embodiment of a lost and heartbroken young woman, making Rachel Getting Married a disturbingly watchable movie with sublime co-star performances.
½ August 17, 2014
With direction rooted in deep realism and a truly fearless cast (Anne Hathaway's performance is unbelievable), "Rachel Getting Married" chronicles addiction and family drama with compelling and engrossing style.
jjnxn
April 17, 2010
Miserable, unlikable people interact with other miserable, unlikable people. How is that supposed to be entertainment? Anne Hathaway's character is one of the more loathsome leads you'll ever see in a movie.
½ February 6, 2013
A recovering addict feels like a stranger back in normal family life.
½ December 17, 2008
You can't help but give kudos to Anne Hathaway for her performance here. It really is amazing. But going toe to toe with her all the way is Rosemarie DeWitt as her sister. You really felt the history between the members of the family and how much anguish they suffer from it. I really loved how the wedding seemed to bridge divides within the family. A terrific realist movie all around.
June 12, 2014
Not bad, just predictable.