Racing With the Moon Reviews

September 6, 2010
I need to watch this movie again, I barely remember it.
iLeo
January 1, 2008
A personal favorite. Now, this is a movie I don't mind seeing every now and then.
September 14, 2008
I found this movie boring and uninteresting, but I didn't watch the whole film, so I'd be willing to give it a second look.
September 5, 2006
I liked this Drama...it was interesting seeing Cage and Penn so young.....the only thing was that the ending was kinda lame.......they waited too long to really develop the story and then I think they ran out of time and had to end it in a dumb place, it was like there should have been a sequel.
August 6, 2015
Oh Christ, she's a Gatsby.

In 1942 California, life is pretty simple and heading into the military and heading to war is fairly ordinary. Two best friends live out their last summer before leaving to become men. They fall in love with two local girls and their future after the military becomes a little clearer and they'll have reason for hope.

"I wonder what it would be like to be like you sometimes."

Richard Benjamin, director of Milk Money, My Stepmother is an Alien, Mermaids, Marci X, City Heat, The Money Pit, Downtown, and Tourist Trap, delivers Racing with the Moon. The storyline for this picture is interesting and fun to watch unfold. It is far from an epic like Stand by Me or Goonies, but it is well done. The cast delivers solid performances and includes Sean Penn, Nicolas Cage, Elizabeth McGovern, John Karlen, and Rutanya Alda.

"Drinking makes your brain go soft."

I came across this Sean Penn movie on Netflix and decided to give it a shot. This was entertaining and I enjoyed it for the most part. I did think it was straightforward and worth a viewing but I wouldn't add it to my DVD collection.

"One piece of brown pie coming up."

Grade: C+
June 15, 2015
Excruciatingly sentimental.
February 16, 2010
Tuesday, February 16, 2010

(1984) Racing With The Moon
ROMANTIC DRAMA

How recruiting to WWII back then affected two life long friends of Henry(Sean Penn) and Nicky (Nicholas Cage). This film doesn't really have a plot per se and the characters are a little one dimensional, but does have some nice touches such as 'when Nick showed Caddie( Elizabeth McGovern) how to play the piano scene'- this film also deals with other issues adult teenagers also have to deal with before going off to war.

In comparison to other romantic drama films as of late, particularly Nicolas Sparks adaptions, this film is a masterpiece. After seeing Penn in 1983 "Bad Boys" motivated me to check this film out too, and I have to say that without his performance as the moral lead, this film would not have succeeded at all.

3 to 3 and a 1/2 stars out of 4
June 11, 2014
A personal favorite. Young actors on the verge of the "big time" in roles that portray the same; an end to childhood, the first awakenings of adulthood.
½ May 27, 2013
The kind of movie that they just don't make anymore--lots of nostalgia and a good story of young love.
March 19, 2013
Goofy Cage at his best with some drunk Cage and karaoke Cage as a bonus!

Seriously though, this is a strong love story with a modest approach that, while not particularly original, stands out as one of the more charming and pleasant movies of the genre. The cast perform well and the story has enough going for it, even if it's not the most original script.

It's good visually and musically too and despite the romance throughout, it is believable. They are all themes we've heard before but they are repeatedly used by film-makers for a reason- when they are done right, they work. This film is an example of that. It may not be the most memorable "I love you" in film history but it's a convincing one nonetheless.

If you are a romantic then this will please you and even if you aren't this shouldn't be painful to watch. It's not the most engaging watch- it has a sleepy atmosphere about it but that could also be said to add to it's charm. It's a bit of a rarity and I'd think that only big fans of Penn or Cage (or both I guess) would get around to seeing this one but I think it deserves better than that.

An under-appreciated love story that manages to use common themes and plot lines successfully thereby creating a convincing and heartfelt film.
October 3, 2012
This one of my most loved movies
October 2, 2007
Everyone tries hard, but the movie is essentially superficial and has difficulty sustaining interest.
½ August 25, 2011
Oh boy oh boy! I'm up to 32 Nick Cage movies watched! Crossed the halfway point with this gem and Bringing Out the Dead.

What do we have here? A coming of age drama in which Nick Cage plays an idiotic womanizer who uses his friends? And do we also have a moody, whiny Sean Penn to boot? What more could I ask for?? Although it seems to have killed his career as a director, Richard Benjamin at least had the decency to shoot it in 1.85:1, unlike Zandalee.

The story involved Nicky (Nick Cage... hmm), his friend Henry (Sean Penn), and Henry's chubby chunkin' cheeked love interest, Caddie (Elizabeth McGovern). Nicky loves to run the gauntlet of loose women in town, while Henry is a one-girl man. All heck breaks loose when Nicky impregnates a girl and convinces her to abort it. Hilarity ensues as they are ushered off to war after doing a lot of yelling and moping.

Favorite Nick Cage Line: "Wow, 200 bucks a shot. That's some business, huh?"

Favorite Nick Cage Moment: When he's driving his hot rod away from the abortion, swigging from a booze bottle. Classy.

Gotta be honest, I had to look up a script to even find a decent NC line in the entire movie. Unlike many of his movies, it wasn't so much embarrassing as it was boring. Surprisingly, there were some saucy scenes in this (for whatever reason) PG movie underscored by a sensual saxophone soundtrack.
½ September 30, 2007
The movie lovingly depicts small town life in the 1940's with a keen attention to period detail. Well photographed and written, perceptive direction. Well acted by all, especially Sean Penn.