Raging Bull Reviews

½ October 12, 2015
Well acted, and, due to its brutality, deserving of the R rating.
March 4, 2014
Has there ever been a more concise metaphor for America than a boxer, prioritizing strength above all, idealizing crushing masculinity, pulverizing anyone who gets in its way?

Masculinity is inherently dramatic due to its fundamentally flawed nature; it's built on a rejection of the other, primitivism, insecurity, and fragility. Watching these foundational elements seep through the cracks in its hardened outer shell of repressed human emotion and bravado will always be fascinating to watch on both a psychological and visceral level, particularly for American audiences for which masculinity forms the backbone of their societal ideology. Scorsese's Raging Bull, like his exemplary Taxi Driver, is about this masculinity that pervades every aspect of American life. His "heroes" are horrible, abusive people, ignorant and violent, and yet because they're so clearly trapped in the destructive cycle of their nation's misguided social structure we feel for them when they destroy themselves. Watching this evisceration of our elemental makeup is gloriously cinematic and timeless in its effect, Scorsese getting to the heart of what plagues society at large; in doing so, he has created a masterpiece.
October 11, 2015
Arguably Martin Scorsese's best movie.
It isperhaps the greatest film of its decade. The edition,the photography,the acting...my god!
itīs wonderful.
October 4, 2015
Raging bull can be explained with a very simple sentence: a biopic made with a soul and not just to use the name of the VIP "biopiced" on the poster. Nowadays we see all the kind o biopic movies that doesn't tell you anything about the characters, one so much the same to the other that you could simply switch the characters without seeing any difference. Of course you have the great charisma of Robert de Niro, Joe Pesci and one of the greatest directors of the 20th century to direct them, but the present shows us every day that also great cast and directors fail in delivering great biopics because they just don't have a soul.
December 28, 2010
Superbly directed, edited and acted, this top-notch boxing drama is a fascinating character study centered on an aggressive, insecure man overcome by intense jealousy and paranoia. A haunting film crafted with a lot of honesty and unpretentious realism.
½ August 31, 2015
Yikes, I can't believe I'd never seen this.
September 9, 2012
An intense and sometimes hard to watch story about the rage of a boxer both inside and out of the ring. As the film progresses you see his rage little by little increase to the point where his entire life comes crumbling down. Part of this is due to the rage the people around him share as well. This is pure perfection in terms of storytelling, acting and cinematography. A+
August 16, 2015
I can make you watch this movie just for saying it is a Scorsese's work, but also is one of the best (if not the best) acting I've ever seen (by De Niro)
July 2, 2007
Massively overrated with an incredibly unlikeable and not terribly interesting protagonist. Mainly worth watching for technical reasons.
August 11, 2015
This movie is an obvious ripoff of Rocky, which both movies are owned by the same company, MGM. In other words, watch Rocky instead.
September 3, 2014
Marvelously tough with fantastic direction by Martin Scorsese
August 2, 2015
Powerful but depressing biography of Bronx boxing champion Jake LaMotta, a pugnacious fighter whose anger and violence, taken out on his family, leaving him alone and broken. LaMotta himself worked closely with the production crew and trained De Niro, quite brave considering how badly a light it casts him in. The final Bible story suggests some kind of redemption but this film has no easy answers.
July 31, 2015
Any Scorsese film with Joe Pesci beating the shit out of Frank Vincent is a winner in my book.
But seriously, this is the type of ballsy filmmaking that you just won't see anymore nowadays... By far my favorite Scorsese flick. Terrifying, funny, and awe-inspiring throughout.
March 9, 2014
Masterful and intense, Raging Bull is an amazing masterpiece of a film that gives a clear, brilliant, and brutal demonstration on how the act of self-destruction can ruin the life of a single man and of those around him!!!
July 23, 2015
Great film, great acting. Very classy and straight forward. I really sometimes hate Martin Scorsese as he tends to go overboard and overdo his films, but Raging Bull isn't the case. 2 thumbs up.
April 27, 2015
Scorsese te quiero mucho.
July 11, 2015
Very overrated film.
July 5, 2015
The best of the early Scorsese era. The acting, cinematography, editing, and directing all work seamlessly.
June 24, 2015
With some of the best writing ever put to screen, supported by some of the best acting that actors like Robert de Niro and Joe Pesci have everr pulled off, and of course with Scorceses masterful directing, Raging Bull is a harsh story not about boxing but about a man and his problems, and one fine film about it.
½ June 11, 2015
The boxing film that saves its worst blows for outside the ring was both fashioned and perfected here. A viscerally violent, ruthlessly gripping, adrenaline-soaked depiction of one man's self-destructive spiral, Raging Bull represents what can happen when a star believes in a project enough to fight for it, and when a director believes he's down to his last chance at redemption. De Nero's insistence Scorsese take the helm quite literally saved his life from his own depression. This is a movie that presents a protagonist who is essentially unlikable and wholly relatable in equal measure, and dares the viewer to look away. Raging Bull is a bruising, beautiful and a never-bettered showcase for De Niro's once-legendary physical immersion into a role. And I'm not just talking about the weight gain: look into those eyes and try telling me they're anyone else's but Jake LaMotta's.