Raging Bull Reviews

June 24, 2015
With some of the best writing ever put to screen, supported by some of the best acting that actors like Robert de Niro and Joe Pesci have everr pulled off, and of course with Scorceses masterful directing, Raging Bull is a harsh story not about boxing but about a man and his problems, and one fine film about it.
½ June 11, 2015
The boxing film that saves its worst blows for outside the ring was both fashioned and perfected here. A viscerally violent, ruthlessly gripping, adrenaline-soaked depiction of one man's self-destructive spiral, Raging Bull represents what can happen when a star believes in a project enough to fight for it, and when a director believes he's down to his last chance at redemption. De Nero's insistence Scorsese take the helm quite literally saved his life from his own depression. This is a movie that presents a protagonist who is essentially unlikable and wholly relatable in equal measure, and dares the viewer to look away. Raging Bull is a bruising, beautiful and a never-bettered showcase for De Niro's once-legendary physical immersion into a role. And I'm not just talking about the weight gain: look into those eyes and try telling me they're anyone else's but Jake LaMotta's.
May 15, 2015
An astonshingly moving biopic from Martin Scorsese.
June 1, 2015
Compelling and honest story of the rise and fall of Jake LaMotta. De Niro's best performance next to "Taxi Driver."
February 22, 2015
A captivating and grueling character study with some great performances from De Niro, Joe Pesci and Cathy Moriarty. Propably best known for its intro, it is by all means a classic.
May 27, 2015
Objectively, one of the best film; Subjectively, one of my favorite film. Raging film that will hold your grip and watch the film again...
½ June 2, 2007
Robert De Niro demonstrates a powerful range of skill in his complex and pained character.
½ May 12, 2015
I was looking at some of the previous comments on this movie and I have to agree that this is Robert De Niro at his best. I don't believe that there has been a movie with him that is better than this. It was a good, powerful movie. Not a big fan of boxing at all, but I could appreciate the story, and Martin Scorsese's vision. Very good movie.
November 12, 2007
Vicious, unrelenting and ultimately tragic. De Niro puts it not only one of his greatest performances, but one of the greatest and most intensified of all time. Not to be cliché, but Raging Bull is amongst cinema's finest moments. What else can be said so succinctly?
March 25, 2015
The film wouldn't be the celebrated classic that it is if it wasn't in black and white. I think the striking realism of the boxing would be lost and it wouldn't feel so raw and gritty. Robert DeNiro's performance is so powerful and confrontational it elevates and manipulates the mood of his colorless world. When DeNiro gets angry you can feel it expressed through every shade. It's a brilliant character study of a self-destructive man. What I think really makes this a masterpiece is that everything stands out in the film. The acting, the music, the fighting, editing, lighting, cinematography -- everything. The movie gives you a lot to admire.
April 14, 2015
I think this is a solid drama. I don't quite see the masterpiece that, well, everyone else sees. Sometimes it was quite obvious what would happen next and sometimes I found myself looking at the clock. The fights are pretty darn stylish and the acting is great though.
April 11, 2015
One of the greatest films of all time. Perfect.
April 10, 2015
The best picture of 81'.How does Scorsese and DeNiro's best work not win Best Picture?....please explain this cruel joke to me.
½ January 3, 2015
Though Raging Bull is a finely made biographical narrative, it isn't something that I greatly adore. But as always, De Niro and Pesci delivered terrific performances. De Niro admirably portrayed an abominable character, and that surely is something.
April 3, 2015
81%
Saw this on 2/4/15
Much like Taxi Driver and the other films of the actor-director combo of De Niro and Scorsese, Raging bull is also extremely overrated, but it benefits from a truly dedicated performance from Robert De Niro. Joe Pesci and Cathy Moriarty are also good. The film tells a powerful story of an unsympathetic boxing champ, but lacks a punch in it's ending. For me the best work of the pair thus far is Cape Fear.
March 16, 2015
With stunning cinematography and a landmark De Niro performance, Raging Bull is Scorsese at his best. Even though the lack of redemption in the movie can at times be disappointing (however powerful and stunning), the film still stands as an example of black and white at its best.
March 7, 2015
Gripping, dark, and powerful, Raging Bull brings out the best in Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro, as well as the rest of the cast.
½ January 6, 2015
In opposition to Cinema Paradiso, the strength of Raging Bull is, in fact, in its acting - specifically Robert DeNiro. I am going on record saying this is the best individual acting performance of all time. The movie itself is very good, but it is DeNiro that elevates it to "great". The story is depressing and brutal, and the use of black and white is perfect for this film. There isn't much "feel good"quality in this film - it can be difficult to sit through the first time you watch it. But, again, DeNiro's performance is so incredibly on the mark and believable that you can begin to overlook the misery of the character and realize that you are watching perfection on screen. To be clear, this is not DeNiro's best movie - but it is his best performance.

Grade = 8.5/10
February 26, 2015
An incredibly well made film on masculinity and domineering. A film that strangely enough came from Hollywood. We will never see a film like this again come from the broader aiming Hollywood studios.