Raging Bull - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Raging Bull Reviews

½ November 6, 2015
De Niro is the master!
October 23, 2015
After watching this movie, I could not immediately remember any other roles played by the legend De Niro. For me De Niro was Jake LaMotta for quite some time even after the movie ended. I simply cannot think of any other movie written, directed and acted with such intensity. This movie is pure emotion.
October 20, 2015
#115 IMDB top favourite films of all times, won 2 Oscars. Rotten tomatoes 98% yet I did not like this film at all .... Robert De Niro won Oscar ... I think it was deserved but his character was totally not likable there is totally nothing to like ...NOOOOOTHIIIIING ... I will not be watching this film ever again ... sorry but no ... just no.
½ October 12, 2015
Well acted, and, due to its brutality, deserving of the R rating.
March 4, 2014
Has there ever been a more concise metaphor for America than a boxer, prioritizing strength above all, idealizing crushing masculinity, pulverizing anyone who gets in its way?

Masculinity is inherently dramatic due to its fundamentally flawed nature; it's built on a rejection of the other, primitivism, insecurity, and fragility. Watching these foundational elements seep through the cracks in its hardened outer shell of repressed human emotion and bravado will always be fascinating to watch on both a psychological and visceral level, particularly for American audiences for which masculinity forms the backbone of their societal ideology. Scorsese's Raging Bull, like his exemplary Taxi Driver, is about this masculinity that pervades every aspect of American life. His "heroes" are horrible, abusive people, ignorant and violent, and yet because they're so clearly trapped in the destructive cycle of their nation's misguided social structure we feel for them when they destroy themselves. Watching this evisceration of our elemental makeup is gloriously cinematic and timeless in its effect, Scorsese getting to the heart of what plagues society at large; in doing so, he has created a masterpiece.
October 11, 2015
Arguably Martin Scorsese's best movie.
It isperhaps the greatest film of its decade. The edition,the photography,the acting...my god!
itīs wonderful.
October 4, 2015
Raging bull can be explained with a very simple sentence: a biopic made with a soul and not just to use the name of the VIP "biopiced" on the poster. Nowadays we see all the kind o biopic movies that doesn't tell you anything about the characters, one so much the same to the other that you could simply switch the characters without seeing any difference. Of course you have the great charisma of Robert de Niro, Joe Pesci and one of the greatest directors of the 20th century to direct them, but the present shows us every day that also great cast and directors fail in delivering great biopics because they just don't have a soul.
December 28, 2010
Superbly directed, edited and acted, this top-notch boxing drama is a fascinating character study centered on an aggressive, insecure man overcome by intense jealousy and paranoia. A haunting film crafted with a lot of honesty and unpretentious realism.
½ August 31, 2015
Yikes, I can't believe I'd never seen this.
September 9, 2012
An intense and sometimes hard to watch story about the rage of a boxer both inside and out of the ring. As the film progresses you see his rage little by little increase to the point where his entire life comes crumbling down. Part of this is due to the rage the people around him share as well. This is pure perfection in terms of storytelling, acting and cinematography. A+
August 16, 2015
I can make you watch this movie just for saying it is a Scorsese's work, but also is one of the best (if not the best) acting I've ever seen (by De Niro)
July 2, 2007
Massively overrated with an incredibly unlikeable and not terribly interesting protagonist. Mainly worth watching for technical reasons.
August 11, 2015
This movie is an obvious ripoff of Rocky, which both movies are owned by the same company, MGM. In other words, watch Rocky instead.
September 3, 2014
Marvelously tough with fantastic direction by Martin Scorsese
August 2, 2015
Powerful but depressing biography of Bronx boxing champion Jake LaMotta, a pugnacious fighter whose anger and violence, taken out on his family, leaving him alone and broken. LaMotta himself worked closely with the production crew and trained De Niro, quite brave considering how badly a light it casts him in. The final Bible story suggests some kind of redemption but this film has no easy answers.
July 31, 2015
Any Scorsese film with Joe Pesci beating the shit out of Frank Vincent is a winner in my book.
But seriously, this is the type of ballsy filmmaking that you just won't see anymore nowadays... By far my favorite Scorsese flick. Terrifying, funny, and awe-inspiring throughout.
March 9, 2014
Masterful and intense, Raging Bull is an amazing masterpiece of a film that gives a clear, brilliant, and brutal demonstration on how the act of self-destruction can ruin the life of a single man and of those around him!!!
July 23, 2015
Great film, great acting. Very classy and straight forward. I really sometimes hate Martin Scorsese as he tends to go overboard and overdo his films, but Raging Bull isn't the case. 2 thumbs up.
April 27, 2015
Scorsese te quiero mucho.
July 11, 2015