Rain Fall

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Rain Fall Reviews

Brody M

July 15, 2010
1 of the most boring action films Ive seen.I tried sitting through the whole thing but I just could not do it
jjspw
June 21, 2010
Asian people would like this film--it's a good mix of action-thriller and restrained-emotions Asian drama.

The action-thriller part of the movie (the first 2/3 of film) is executed very well. Good acting, suspenseful plot, and outstanding cinematography. There are multiple storylines of different people/groups looking for a memory stick--it has the potential to quickly get confusing, but is clear, organized well, and logical.

The last 1/3 of the film is largely the falling action. It could be left out or truncated, without much loss to the overall storyline. But it's a nice coast down to the conclusion that's quite unique to Asian films.
BigMoneyBruce
June 4, 2010
A 1/2 Japanese 1/2 american movie, some parts just don't translate well. The concept is very unoriginal. It tries to have a twist to the plot but really ends up predictable. Their are some ok fights and some shooting but nothing amazing or even memorable.
May 22, 2014
There are brief moments when you think that just maybe this "Bourne" wannabe will take off. But it never does. And for all kinds of reasons: In every scene, the trite musical score instructs exactly how we're supposed to feel, and during those scenes when we're meant to feel gooey and happy for the lovers, the music's cloying sweetness makes your teeth rot. The schmaltzy and chaste (and exposition-laden) romance scenes make you squirm with embarrassment. And how do we learn that the tough-guy protagonist really does have a heart of gold? Well, he tells his girl that a kitten is his favorite memory of growing up. (Really. A kitten.) Not content to leave it at that, we are subjected to a treacly flashback in which a boy and a kitten emote in an epilogue that just goes on and on.

The casting is off too. Our Bourne-like super agent, supposedly a native New Yorker, is played by a thoroughly uncharismatic actor who speaks English with a Japanese accent. ("Rain Fall" seems to have been made for the Japanese market where this would go unnoticed.) And the big "surprise" that comes near the end is utter logical nonsense.

There's even cheesy product-placement: A Midori sign hangs in the front window of what is supposed to be the Village Vanguard, a jazz club in Greenwich Village. (Yessir, melon-flavored Japanese liqueur is the beverage of choice in every smoky downtown New York bar.)

And then there's Gary Oldman, who's clearly in it just for the coin, and who chews up the scenery and spits it out in every frame he's in. His acting shows all the subtlety and finesse of a runaway freight train in what is surely the hands-down worst performance of his career. It is so hilariously bad, that it's good, which may be the only reason to watch this turkey.
August 13, 2012
Starts out well, but descends into a mixture of over acting by some (including Oldman) and just plain bad acting (almost everyone else). drivel.
January 16, 2012
The casting is great, and that's about the only positive thing to say about Rain Fall. Apart from the general lackluster, it really does not do the book justice, in story, characters, or mood. For as fantastic as the source material is, this movie is a bitter disappointment.
August 6, 2011
16% way too low. Solid if your into CIA type movies, which i am.
April 22, 2011
This was a GREAT flick. A lot of action, a very cool dramatic plot, and the ending was really great. Not a "popular" movie. But very worth watching to me!!!
December 26, 2010
This film uses its association with Gary Oldman as its selling point. Surely a gifted and accomplished actor such as Gary Oldman would make any movie great right? That is what I bought into here, and I was rewarded. Although I liked the movie because of its Japanese feel. Lots of music, very little dialogue in parts. A copycat thriller for the most part. Think Bourne meets Tokyo.
Gunny
September 6, 2010
Gary Oldman is a master at his craft and has pulled off amazing portrayals of all types of characters in his stellar career. But in this film he is asked to portray a character that was just not meant for him, a CIA big shot.

Apart from being shamefully derivative of the Bourne films, Rain Fall is just dull. It can't even approximate the intensity of the aforementioned franchise, and Gary looks really pathetic trying to occupy space better left to Chris Cooper.

There is an aspect of Japanese culture at work in this film that some may appreciate, but aside from that, I cannot recommend this one.
kingofthecorn
June 10, 2010
(***): Thumbs Up

Uneven but the film still kept me interested. Marginal thumbs up.
Coleen K.
June 7, 2010
This was a pretty good movie. Have to pay close attention to story line and details to be able to understand it though. Movie is left wide open at the end for a sequal. Has a little bit of everything in this movie (action, mystery, drama).
Louise W.
June 3, 2010
Dull. I quit halfway through.