Raise the Titanic - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Raise the Titanic Reviews

TheDudeLebowski65
½ September 5, 2012
Based on the Clive Cussler novel of the same name, Raise the Titanic is an underrated adventure film. If you're looking for an exciting film to watch with an engaging plot, then give this film a shot, it is far better than what most people have said about the film. I read the book and loved it, and I have to say, I don't see why this film has gotten so much flack. The cast here do a good job in their roles, and Richard Jordon is a very good Dirk Pitt. This is an entertaining film that has an engaging story and effective directing. I really enjoyed the film, and thought it was a very thrilling film that shouldn't be easily dismissed. The actors do a fine job here and they make the film an enjoyable ride. This is a very well done film that should be seen if you loved the book. A much underrated film, Raise the Titanic has its flaws, but it definitely is always thrilling and exciting because of the fact that its plot is a salvage crew raises the great liner that sank in 1912. This one of those 80's films that should be seen, as adventure films like this were fun, unique, always thrilling, very well acted and engaging. Don't believe the poor reviews of this film, Raise the Titanic is a must for adventure fans. Give this film a shot; you may be surprised at how good it really is. A well thought out film and one of the most underrated films I've seen in quite some time. If you love adventure films, be sure to hunt this one down, it's worth it.
December 19, 2007
This is on my top worst movie list; I almost walked out of the theatre for how dry and boring it was.
½ April 15, 2014
Based on the Clive Cussler best-selling novel, Raise the Titanic is an exciting Cold War thriller. While tracking down a shipment of a rare mineral with military potential, retired Navy captain Dirk Pitt discovers that it was lost in the sinking of the RMS Titanic in 1912, leading him to propose the impossible...Raise the Titanic. It's a fairly interesting story that's full of mystery and intrigue; especially given that this fictional account of Titanic's discover and raising was written before the real-life discovery in 1985. Additionally, the model work and set designs are rather impressive, as is the film's score. Raise the Titanic is a little contrived at times, but it's also a fun piece of pulp fiction.
moviefan1725
December 4, 2008
Based on the novel by Clive Cussler, this film (made 5 years before the wreckage of the Titanic was actually located) is the story of a government mission to find and raise the great ship to retrieve a rare mineral believed to be stored in one of its holds. This mineral is the key to powering a new missle defense system. The government enlistes adventurer/pirate Dirk Pitt (Richard Jordan) to lead the mission which is in danger of being infiltrated by Russian spies. Jason Robards and Anne Archer co-star. Sir Alec Guinness appears in a small role as a Titanic surivor who has key information to the exact location of the mineral on board the ship. Until the Titanic's wreckage was discovered in 1985, it was believed that the ship had sunk in one piece. It's this belief that makes the idea of raising the ship plausible. The visual effects are really astounding, and hold up remarkably well today. Great detail is paid to every little part of the ship, and the scenes showing the wreck underwater look remarkably like the real thing. Then there is the whole raising of the rust covered ship to the surface. If the ship returning to the surface isn't eerie enough to see, the sight of the Titanic sailing into New York (under tow), completing its voyage nearly 70 years later seems almost dreamlike. Not an action packed movie, but a thrilling adventure nonetheless.
DrLappos
December 5, 2007
Great adventure movie.......
June 15, 2012
There's bad and then there's Raise the TITANIC. My only secret wish is that someday this becomes a feature over at Cinematic Titantic.
April 15, 2012
Hackneyed adventure yarn that was a box office bomb and embarrassment in its day. Then it got worse a few years later when the Titanic was found and had broken in half. Then the already half-assed plot about raising a whole ship (and sailing it again!) was rendered even more idiotic.
January 10, 2011
A very well made family friendly version of Clive Cussler's novel,Raise The Titanic was written and filmed with the unknown knowledge that the famous ocean liner was still in one piece after the sinking.With decent special effects and minatures,a thing of the time,the film is also set during the still existed cold war with Russia.With a very impressive salvaging scene with the ship being raised,the film also has a sweeping score by John Barry.Most Titanic purists have blasted this film for being "innacurate"Oh,well,it is fiction people!Raise The Titanic shows that if you can accept this premise,you can have yourself a pretty good time overall.
August 29, 2009
Not bad for a 1980's movie about a ship they really knew nothing much about. The only place they really faltered was in the scale of the Titanic, but otherwise it was actually a pretty good movie.
May 18, 2009
This movie came out a year before the finding of the Titanic. This movie is what gave me the Titanic bug.
It's an alright movie.. that's about it.
February 8, 2009
Decent 70s cheese scifi. The greatest things about watching old movies like this is seeing how different sex symbols are. The lead is some 40 something scraggly bearded hardass, who really doesn't do much for me, whearas today we go for girly metro men with untamed eyebrows (a la Robert Pattinson).
That aside, this is a movie that creates a warm feeling in the cockles of my heart because it captures the imagination. Granted, it's full of flaws that at the time weren't exposed (Titanic had not been located yet) but it is a great imaginative story- and sorely dated (Russians as the baddies, anyone?) After the success of Sahara, I would be interested to see the remake of this film, even if it were animated- I'm sure the scene of it coming out of the water would be even more breathtaking.
September 3, 2008
PLOT SPOILER: Uranium-like mineral needed to power a missile-defense system traced to Titanic cargo hold. Titanic raised, Russians scared off while trying to steal ship. Realize mineral is actually buried in a UK graveyard. Decide not to dig it up and risk use as a weapon. REVIEW: Corny, possibly a good candidate for MST3K, but just entertaining enough.
½ December 8, 2007
Interesting and fairly compelling. I would love to see a widescreen version on DVD though, right now there is only a fullscreen version and it is on a crappy double feature disc.
September 19, 2007
Read the book, watched the movie..........loved the book, hated the movie.

When I first saw the movie poster for this film on Google Images, I was pretty excited. To my luck, the movie was shown a few nights later on TV.

Oh my God, this movie was awful! Acting is terrible and the story was changed significantly from the book. What bothered me the most was the lack of suspense in the film. There wasn't a single moment in the film where I was on my toes wanting to see what happened next (to be honest, I just wanted to turn the TV off, but foolishly continued to watch, waiting for Titanic to make her appearance). The only good part of the film is watching the ship rise, but even that was poorly put together.

For those who read the book, I beg you not to watch this movie (it is a complete disappointment).
½ June 10, 2007
Good movie, even if it could never happpen, but it was made before the real Titanic was found in 1985
June 6, 2007
A pretty good movie based from Clive Cussler's 'Raise the Titanic' novel. Be nice to raise it if it wasn't split into two.
½ May 2, 2007
Very interesting if you like to watch like National Geographic stuff.. Not bad at all. It caught my attention.
April 27, 2007
The "what if" scenario of Titanic (back in the day) was in one piece and with giant balloons could be raised.. Excellent special FX to live out this scenario, even the raised Titanic completes its Journey to NY after its been raised. VERY creepy looking.