Rango - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Rango Reviews

March 23, 2011
Great fun amazing animation especially on blu ray. Loved the shout out to Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas early on. A fun strange trip of a movie that had me just gleefully going along. Good times.
March 2, 2011
George Lucas' company ILM proves to be a match for Pixar with their first animation, a dazzling fun ride that is also an entertaining homage to Westerns and the Italian spaghetti subgenre, deliciously subverting the figure of the anti-hero in a story with many welcome references.
MeetMeinMontauk
½ May 7, 2012
I'm not sure whether to be confused, impressed or downright awed.
December 2, 2010
A good animation with some slick visuals and decent humour. Just seen how good the voice cast line up os, not recognizing most of them. It has nice little in joke to one or two of Depp's other films and westerns in general. Just thought the actual story was about as basic as it could be, still an entertaining watch though.
March 24, 2012
A quirky comedy with the voice of Depp lingers in the air, the film is a perfect hapy ending flick for damn near anyone.
½ March 11, 2012
Can you find any other animated movies that would interweave its story into that of the drug-induced adventure film "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"? In the movie's first few minutes, our reptilian friend runs into Hunter S. Thompson's characters on their way to Vegas. They part ways just as quickly, but not in spirit. Not at all. There is a trippy scene everyone remembers in "Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End" of a pirate ship in the desert being carried by crabs, one of which Captain Jack Sparrow initially licks while it was in the form of a rock. This is Rango from beginning to end (both are directed by Gore Verbinski), albeit more grounded.
October 24, 2011
Visuals are possibly the best I've seen from an animated movie. Unfortunately, Rango suffers from a very uninteresting character, plot, and setting. Doesn't bring enough to make it a very enjoyable experience.
DreamExtractor
½ February 25, 2011
Rango is one of the best looking animated films in recent history. Rango is about a lizard who dreams of being an actor, and when he wanders into a town in the deser where he may be able to start a new life pretending to be a hero named Rango. Rango is a fun, interesting, funny movie. It works so well and its rare we find such a good movie anymore, espically animated. The plot was surprisingly great, very reeling and cool. Johnny Depp was great, lets him really let loose. Go see Rango, youll like it, as for me I loved it.
cosmo313
December 1, 2010
Gore Verbinski and ILM make their animated feature debut here, and the results are spectacular. The story concerns a quirky pet chameleon who is going through an identity crisis. After accidentally being stranded in the middle of the Mojave Desert, he finds himself in the water starved town of Dirt where he takes up the name Rango and sets out on a journey to bring and end to his identity crisis as well as to figure out what happened to the town's water.

The film is primarily a wacky, sometimes very surreal tribute to westerns (namely hose of the spaghetti variety) but it also becomes a legitimate entry into the genre. It's an imaginative, visually stunning piece of work that is funny, inspired, and very, very entertaining. There's all sorts of pop culture references from various westerns to stuff like Chinatown, the works of Hunter S. Thompson, and even stuff like Raising Arizona, Apocalypse Now, and Star Wars. Some of this is obvious and expected, some of it a nice surprise. Even Hans Zimmer's sizzling score gets in on the reference game at times. Unlike a lot of contemporary animated films though, I didn't feel that the references were really forced or just thrown in for the sake of it.

The film is marketed towards kids, but it's more for adults since a lot of little kids might some of the visuals a little too creepy or intense, and the crude humor and pop culture references would just go over their heads and be unappreciated. Older kids would like this, say, maybe 8 and up, though. I actually appreciated that this film didn't really pander too much towards kids, or even really try to. It's not the most inspired story, but it's execution sure is.

The film actually takes some risks, mostly in the visuals department. The animation is wonderful and looks great, but it's an ugly, dry, dirty, and grungy film. The attention to detail is fabulous, and the creatures have a high sense of realism to them, even though none of them (mostly various types of reptiles, amphibians, birds, and rodents) are even really cute and fluffy.

The cast are great. Johnny Depp is as fun, eccentric, and manic as always as Rango, while Isla Fisher shines as the tough, no-nonsense Beans. Veterans Ned Beatty, Harry Dean Stanton, and Bill Nighy all put in some terrific work as well. Really though, there's not a bad perofrmance to be found, and just going through the cast list, it's amazing to note how many notable names are here even though many are just in little bit parts instead of all fighting for the spotlight.

Pixar may have stronger films as far as the narrative is concerned, but this one rivals them is the visual department, and has a pretty strong and sharp script to boot. Granted, the story is nothing totally new (as I previously mentioned), but it's thoughtful and has depth instead of just going for total cookie cutter paint by numbers formula. I mean c'mon, it was written by the guy who wrote Gladiator, The Last Samurai and The Aviator, so that right there shows this film is something special.

As I sat watching this, i knew I was enjoying it, and that it was a really good, and strong piece of work, but as the end credits rolled, and as I started thinking about it, and this review, I dare say I think I found myself totally in love with it. This is a wonderful treat, and it's even better because it's not something that was or is in 3D, so that's a nice breath of fresh air. The third Pirates film was a mess, but this definitely helps Verbinski redeem himself more than just a little bit.

Hats way off, and definitely check this out. It's got my pick for one of 2011's best.
paul o.
October 25, 2011
It was pretty good. With clint eastwood as the spirit of the west, this film knew its western roots and had some new ideas to bring to the table.
½ October 18, 2011
When director Gore Verbinski and star Johnny Depp collaborated before they brought new life into the swashbuckling genre with "Pirates of the Caribbean". This time they bring a different take on animation, with very mixed results.
A pet lizard (Johnny Depp) falls out of a car in the desert, and earns himself a heroic reputation in the makeshift animal town of 'Dirt' as gunslinger "Rango". Dirt's water-supply is controlled by a turtle mayor (Ned Beatty) and his gang, but Rango rallies the decent folks when it seems the community will be destroyed.
Partly the problem I had with "Rango" was it's stunningly good opening. For the first 10mins or so it looked like it was going to be something very special indeed but as it progressed it fell somewhat flat and ended up as dry and barren as the landscape in which it was set. The voice cast were impressive, particularly Depp. He has a good range and if you didn't know beforehand, you probably wouldn't know it was him. The animation was also very well done but the desert creature characters were so realistic that they were also a bit freaky, leaving them less endearing than they should be, which has you wondering why Verbinski chose the style he did. Choosing the great cinematographer Roger Deakins as visual consultant was a good move though, as the landscapes and western style were brilliantly achieved.
A valiant effort to produce something different but the characters were just a bit too far gone and the story seriously ran out of ideas early on.
Nate Z.
½ October 6, 2011
It's Chinatown remade with anthropomorphic desert creatures. It's a Western by way of Hunter S. Thompson. It's a loving parody of cinema's wide canvas. It's one of the most wild, anarchic, oddball animated films to ever be released by a major studio, and it is stupendous. Steeped in weirdness and bravado, Rango has a playful and occasionally macabre sense of humor that kept me in stitches. Director Gore Verbinski (the Pirates of the Caribbean flicks) translates his visual verve into a animated movie that dazzles the eyes with its magnificently drawn features as well as the pointed personality in every stroke. This is a movie with character, not to mention some pretty entertaining characters (including talking road kill). Johnny Depp delivers an idiosyncratic vocal performance for a household lizard that finds himself pretending to play sheriff for a town in need of a hero. When you think Rango will fade into familiar territory, or easy moral messages, the film keeps surprising, forging its own unique path. This is a lively, peculiar, and overall enchanting animated film that's suitable for families but may well play better for adults with eccentric tastes. I'm still scratching my head, and celebrating, how something like this slipped through the system.

Nate's Grade: A
February 28, 2011
I really really enjoyed this. It's a great example of how to use film references. They work regardless of you recognition of their existence.
michael e.
½ March 5, 2011
Its...Very...Weird, But in a good way, Depp did a fantastic job as Rango, along with Bill Nighy as the snake, and Ned Beatty as the mayor, Though my only problem is that, well one its very weird and by weird i mean, weird like its never mentioned again, like the tunnel in willy wonka, And there is al ot of stuff that could be skipped over and it wouldnt have made a difference on the plot, Half the animals i couldn't tell what they were. But the movie was just decent overall, its at least worth seeing once but its a movie that you have to make your mind up for yourself, the weirdest part however is when Clint Eastwood (known as the spirit of the west) Appears in a vision or something to rango. Its a very strange movie and is definetly not for kids, There are several sexual references, And 9 uses of hell and one point the snake says "Sign the Damn Paper!!!!" But it pays homage to some of the old western movies with a funny little reference to "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" Which is also funny knowing how Depp was also in that movie. All in all a fairly decent movie with some good action, plot, and some good comedy 4.5/5 *

Review Originally Written 3/6/2011
rubystevens
½ March 4, 2011
this isn't a kid's film, which should be pretty obvious from the 'fear and loathing' reference in practically the first scene. look out for 'chinatown,' 'raising arizona' and about a dozen westerns. i liked the strolling mariachis. terrific animation, a little let down by the writing. and one pet peeve of mine: there are no saguaros in the mojave desert!
½ March 3, 2011
Rango is the epitome of the perfect western. It's a movie lover's film that is both experimental and on an epicly grand scale. The same feeling of awe and wonder when seeing the different characters in Tatooine's cantina is perfectly replicated for this near 2 hour experience, which more than makes up for the lack of secondary character development.
3niR
½ February 17, 2011
Blah. I found this boring.
August 27, 2011
Maybe it's the fact that I really miss westerns. But this movie really surprised me and I ended up really enjoying it. I liked the fact that Roger Deakins was a cinematography advisor (I have no idea what that means) and it really makes a difference. I don't think I have ever seen a CG cartoon look quite like this and it's beautiful. I also enjoyed the whole stoner exestensial theme that played over the whole movie. Great nods to great movies and Timothy Olyphant gives one of the most entertaining and unexpected vocal performances I have heard in a cartoon. Very cool.
November 29, 2010
This is an animated movie that feel is targeted to adults and I enjoyed that! The character Rango (Johnny Depp) is so endearing... it is hard not to like and root for him!