39% Sin City: A Dame to Kill For Aug 22

77% You're the Worst: Season 1

Rawhead Rex Reviews

Sylvester K

December 30, 2011
Another bad adaptation of Clive Barker's story. Rawhead Rex looked like a man in a more elaborated ape suit. The acting was only OK... The excellent story became another "Creature Feature" But since it's a low budget film, it's actually not as bad as it could be potentially
PumpkinGetsASnakeBite
September 17, 2009
In the 23 years of this movies exsistence I never saw it. In my 22 years of watching horror movies I always wanted to. I remember seeing the box art in the video stores a lot in the late 80's and early 90's and being intrigued, but for reasons unknown never asked my mom to rent it. Time passed and the movie slowly disappeared from rental places and slipped from my mind altogether. That is until about seven years ago when I was reading some stuff on Clive Barker, whose three films I adore, that I came across the info that he had written the script for a film called Rawhead Rex. It all came rushing back to me. I got super excited, but it was too late the dvd was out of print by then and going for an amount I would not shell out. I thought I would never see this movie. For the next few years I read about it online and in books, and heard a lot of bad things about including some nasty comments from Barker himself and tried to convince myself it wasn't a big loss not seeing it considering all the reviews. Well... last night I had my cherry popped. And I must say that most of the reviews I'd read over the past few years where dead wrong. I fucking loved this flick!!Cheesy...yes, but it was wicked fun. And call me stupid, but an Irish trailer park? I always equated trailer trash with the shitty country I live in. The United States. The kid even had a fucking mullet. I almost lost it. Anyway, sorry that the story about not seeing it is longer than my thoughts on the film, but all i can say about it is that it was a blast.
jackhammerebm
March 13, 2009
I liked it! It was obviously generic & the creature could've been less comical but i liked it. I like the story. This too would be a real good one to remake w/a bigger budget & better actors! Its weird but its like this movie disapeared off the face of the earth. I tried to rent this all over the place w/no luck. When I ask people about it they look at me like I'm speaking Chinese. I finally watched it on youtube if anyones interested.
werejustaminorthreat
December 27, 2008
Rawhead Rex looked awesome (sorta silly), but he was the only part worth watching. There was some good gore, but a lot of it was boring.
filmman05
May 24, 2007
I love Clive Barker and what he has brought to the horror genre. His stories are interesting and entertaining.
cthulhu138
April 22, 2007
I haven't seen this movie in like 20 years but the "unholy baptism" scene is still fresh in my memory. Those who have seen the film know what I'm talking about.
November 26, 2013
you have to really try to get past the look of that monster to enjoy this...thats beyond bad.
November 3, 2013
This is the worst movie I've seen this week... and I watched Creepshow 3 last night. Waste of time, do not bother.
March 31, 2013
I was 6 years old when I first watched it and , it did scared the crap out of me, after many years later I own it and still love it, as ridicule to others I think is one of the good "real monster" movies with good effects (for its time) compared to paranormal activity crap saga this is by far the best, it is a low budget but don't have the cheap effect, they should do a remake with the new tech and have it more gory or with a more darker side. what I can say that I don't like
much is the police trying to stop evil with guns and that they don't see that is an ancient creature. as a matter of fact today 03-31-2013 im watching it!
October 5, 2012
This was awful. An overgrown, shaved monkey (more like a man in a monkey suit) dawning a tunic goes around and offs some irish folks. He also pisses on a priest at one point. This was boring and not even excessively violent which is often the soul source of entertainment in B picture horror films. I knew going in this was not going to be a good film but I was really hoping for more. I would like to see this done correctly. The story has some potential and I hope the rumors of a remake are true.
August 20, 2012
Complete garbage. And I like Clive Barker
August 12, 2012
Una de mis primeras peliculas que fui a ver al cine la cual me inicio en el gusto de este genero.
July 25, 2012
I love this movie ive been trying to find it sence i was 22 years old and im 35 now
Jason T.
January 28, 2012
Obviously this movie is really bad, but in the best way possible. If you're looking for some great laughs then Rawhead Rex should do the trick. The creature is so ridiculous looking that it's worth the watch just to witness that factor alone. By conventional horror means, if you're looking for a scare, then this one is NOT for you. However if you want an evening of horrid acting and non stop laughs, then Rawhead Rex is a perfect choice.
Sylvester K

December 30, 2011
Chris S.
May 5, 2011
You wouldn't be far off if you called me a huge fan of Clive Barker. I pretty much love the guy's work whether it's written or being put to film. I loved Midnight Meat Train more than most, I still think Hellraiser is one of the creepiest movies ever, and I always find myself getting lost in whatever Barker book I stumble upon. One of the first books I read by Barker was the Books of Blood Volumes 1-3. There were several stories that stood out, but one of the main ones that has always stuck with me over the years was Rawhead Rex. It's powerful, it's engrossing, and it's considered to be one of Barker's best short stories. So a film version of one of Barker's best should already have enough momentum to at least be decent at the end of the day. Unfortunately that isn't the case. Somehow Rawhead Rex became incredibly lame and plagued by 80's cliches somewhere in between its transition from novel to film.

Did you ever used to watch "Doug"? The animated series on Nickelodeon with Porkchop, Quail Man, Roger Klotz, Patti Mayonnaise, and Skeeter? There was an episode called Nightmare on Jumbo Street where a horror movie hits the neighborhood where everyone in town sees it and is talking about it, but Doug closes his eyes and misses the ending. He stretches out seeing it again because he's scared, but when he finally gets around to seeing the ending he realizes you can see the zipper on the back of the monster's costume. That's kind of the way Rawhead Rex is except you basically see the metaphorical zipper as soon as Rawhead shows up. He looks terrible. It basically seems like a wrestler running around in a glorified ape costume. The mask looks like it's made of rubber except the facial features twitch occasionally, he's cross-eyed all the time, has two mouths in addition to one of those plastic sets of pecs and abs to make him look ripped, and his fingernails grow and shrink at will. Rawhead Rex basically looks like an ape raided Vernon Wells' leftover Road Warrior outfits and then decapitated and hollowed out the head of George, the King Kong-like character in the 1986 (made in the same year as the film) arcade game Rampage and wore that as a mask. Any of this sounding awesome yet? Oh, it's just getting started.

I'm about to spoil the hell out of this movie mostly because it's out of print and practically impossible to find. Nearly all of Rawhead's kills end in some sort of obviously fake appendage or mannequin being used. Low budget films can be incredible, but it's usually when they're able to hide the fact that they were made so cheap. Rawhead Rex decides to embrace this fact while saying, "Let's show Rawhead trying to bite this guy's neck even though his mouth doesn't open wide enough, it appears as if he's nibbling on the victim's cheek, and Rawhead looks like he's barfing blood on the guy rather than the blood coming from the victim's flesh wound." The monster is also territorial, which doesn't sound so bad until his territory is a trailer park. Rawhead not being creative with his kills doesn't really help matters either. It's pretty much all decapitations and claw swipes. One of the more bizarre moments in the film is when Rawhead Rex kills a man at his home and then goes after the man's wife. Rawhead destroys the inside of their home, but spares the woman when he realizes she's pregnant. The monster leaves and a friend of the couple shows up. When the friend finds the wife, he asks if she's alright. The woman clinches her fists and GROWLS at him before pausing for a moment and bursting into tears. That reaction should be used on unwelcome Jehovah's witnesses who come knocking at your door.

The last half of the film is even worse. A magic rock saves the day. It's kept in a glowing red box in the Ireland church. Once the rock is used to help stop the monster, it uses the cheesiest 80's special effects imaginable. "So if I'm a chick and I lift this rock over my head, I'll have a laser light show right in my own back yard? Righteous!" The stone makes an appearance in the original story as well, but it's at least used in a way that comes off slightly less ridiculous than a rock that shoots lasers. The film just plays out in the worst of ways. A man tries to save a woman that Rawhead is about to slaughter, but winds up tearing her dress instead and we get our only nudity shot in the film. She bumps into a tree and dies. She's supposed to be thrown, but the impact is about as rough as accidentally bumping into somebody in public. Rawhead Rex is nothing like the source material. I was surprised they kept the vicar's "baptism" scene in there.

Rawhead Rex is the type of film that gives horror a bad name; it's cliche, the monster is obviously a man in a rubber suit, it's predictable, and it's basically just meaningless gore. It's like the film tries to throw a little bit of the actual story in there near the end of the film, but it's too little too late. The damage has already been done. Rawhead Rex is pure cheese, but it's not even good cheese. It's like that hunk of cheese you've had in the fridge for a year and a half that's covered in three inch thick green mold. This film is out of print for a reason. Don't hunt it down unless you're a die hard Clive Barker or major horror fan. I implore you though to give the exceptional short story a read or to read it again if you have already.
February 26, 2011
Great because it's SO bad, laughed like a drain at the crappy rubber face mask. Watch his teeth wobble and be amused...be very amused!
November 6, 2010
One of the best movies ever made.
mafia0311
July 9, 2008
Scared the shit out of me when I was a kid