19% Transcendence Apr 18

November 7, 2006
Eh...
Dean L

July 17, 2007
As happens so often with ensemble cast films it seems they try to supplement the lack of plot with the number of big names they can fit into the credits. At times this film can be fun to watch, but it tries so hard to deliver a message regarding the world being phony and pretentious and obsessed with physical beauty that it becomes what it is trying to parody. It is also too obvious (to go as far as putting the word "facade" on a poster during a particularly 'poignant' scene). This movie misses the mark in so many ways. I adore so many of the actors in this movie (though this was really the worst performance I have ever seen Matthew Modine give...unless that was another point the film was trying to smash you over the head with) and some of the moments were very funny and really did hit home, but that only accounted for about 20% of the film. The rest of it was cliché and trite. It is watchable and there are some real gem scenes and messages, but it could have been done so much better. It was trying to be an art house film and so it arrived as a Hollywood flop. Rent it for a lark or to see some of your long lost movie pals, but don't put to much money down on it coming in first in your movie ranks.
nuheart
nuheart

January 6, 2007
Disappointing, considering I enjoyed DiCillo's LIVING IN OBLIVION.
March 26, 2008
The whole movie seemed as surreal as Joe's view of the world. Even though there were a lot of big name stars in the movie, I don't know why... I am not sure how we're supposed to care about a guy who whines all the time. I guess the low point of the movie is the end where neither Joe or Mary do not improve themselves. Not that there's any problems with them having faults. Noone is perfect. Mary even went to have counseling, and yes, while he turned out to be creepy, she couldn't see that her frustration was with a guy who complained about paying rent each month, complained about having to have protected sex, was so conceited that he believed he was called by Madonna, etc., etc.. And the "happy" ending is that she lets Joe have unprotected sex with her?
April 20, 2013
Fat cast, thin plot. Not terrible, not great.
Darcy H.
February 25, 2010
I honestly can't believe more people didn't like this. Maybe this is one of those cases of me just seeing the right movie at the right time, but I thought it was excellent.
kingofthecorn
October 20, 2006
Here's another film rating.