19% Transcendence Apr 18

[Rec] 2 Reviews

Japes
Japes

May 13, 2012
I hated the direction this movie went. In REC it was supposed to be an infection right? Like rabies? Then they go in a completely different direction off course and start with something about a demonic possession. I didn't like it at all. It wasn't even that scary and it had too many plot holes to take seriously. It was nothing like the original REC and I thought it was really stupid. Especially the whole thing with the priest and the little girl who was allegedly possessed. Really stupid plot. I thought they were going to tie up loose ends from the first film, but instead they created a bigger mess for the audience to figure out. REC didn't even need a sequel anyway.
axadntpron
axadntpron

April 17, 2012
Man. During the 30 minutes I thought this was going to be one of those rare occasions in which the sequel is better than the original. The scares were much more wisely paced & it looked as though they were beginning to make an interesting comment on the messy intersection of science & religion.
Yet, as it began to get closer to the second act, the film descended into one preposterous scenario after the next. One particular scene involving a firework is so stupid that I am surprised it survived the final cut.
While I appreciate that they tried to tie in the various narratives, they ended up sucking any ounce of realism out of the film. And when you have no realism, the "found footage" gimmick ceases to be scary. It looks as though my journey with this franchise ends here. Which is sad, because it had a lot of potential.
WrenchLT
WrenchLT

November 25, 2011
Direct sequel which picks up right where the first one ended... all in the same apartment building again too! But despite the repetitive scenary it's just as creepy and at times scary as the plot adds a new demonic twist on things making this a POSSESSION movie! Gore-wise it's around the same as in the first film, not drenched in the stuff like you'd expect. I'd like to see another sequel for sure but take us out of the damn apartment block!
Ken S

March 21, 2010
Less about being scary, more about kicking demon ass.
Kevin C

September 13, 2011
It's like Aliens. Except 1,000x more fucked up. And in Spanish. Not as astoundingly terrific as its predecessor (very strange to have [Rec] characters have goals and destinations when the first film greatly benefited from the manic "run away!" style), but an equally terrifying experience.
LorenzoVonMatterhorn
LorenzoVonMatterhorn

August 22, 2011
"Fear Revisited"

The action continues from [Rec], with the medical officer and a SWAT team outfitted with video cameras are sent into the sealed off apartment to control the situation.

REVIEW
The nightmare continues in the sequel to the excellent Spanish supernatural horror film released two years ago. REC 2 picks up exactly when the horrifying events of the first installment leave off. Paco Plaza and Jaume Balaguero return to their directorial duties introducing the team of commandos entering the block of flats that have been occupied by the rapidly spreading virus. While REC delivered its action through the lens of a TV reporter's camera, REC 2 makes use of shoulder-mounted soldier-cams as well as usual cams of personal use. In terms of generating shocks and the omnipresent dreadful atmosphere, the sequel is very much in line with the first film utilizing the same technique of faux-documentary. This lack of novelty makes the film certainly less immediate or surprising than the first that stood as an unexpected revelation. Given that, the film never disappoints throwing a bunch of twists and turns in the mix (including an appropriately sinister ending), which make the whole experience pleasurable in a demented way. REC 2 may not be as effectively raw in delivering its scares as its predecessor, yet it's consistent enough to be regarded as a worthy sequel in my to-be-favorite horror movie franchise.
Dean !

April 3, 2010
A good follow up film to Rec, which was re-made months after release as Quarantine. This continues right after the events of the first film, on the same night. In many ways it's more of the same, but a little less scary second time round. The fact you're following a swat team as well diminished the scare factor a bit as well. A couple of plot lines didn't quite make sense, other wise it's very entertaining if you liked the first one. It does also explain the nature of the virus, that was only mentioned briefly in the first film. A good sequel for a change, go and see it!
Lewis C

October 12, 2009
Not as cohesive or frightening, as the first [REC] (which is one of my favorite modern horror movies), but still a tense and thrilling horror ride, more often than not. This is a direct continuation of the original, and happens in and around the same apartment building on the same night.

[REC] 2 takes the supernatural elements of the first movie and further explores them, which sets it apart from some similar zombie-type films. No complaints from me there, I enjoyed the expansion of the overall mythos and the added backstory/explanation for some of the people and events of the first film. On the negative side, I did find the new characters introduced in this one to be almost universally unlikable and annoying. Did that ruin the movie? No, but I definitely cared about the well-being and survival of these people less than those that came before. There's also a slight feeling of repetition that comes with using the same location again, but that's understandable considering the direct plot continuance.

[REC] 2 is basically more of the same, so if you enjoyed the first, there's no real reason why you shouldn't see this. It's not quite up to the same quality, but it's worth checking out to see the interesting direction the story goes in.
TheDudeLebowski65
TheDudeLebowski65

July 20, 2011
Rec 2 is a slight disappointment, but still manages to create something totally intense on screen. Rec 2 goes into more detail about the virus from the first film, and the real nature of the virus is a let down. But there's plenty of terrifying moments on screen that make up for the somewhat lacking development in the true nature of the virus. As far as a sequel is concerned, Rec 2 is a well crafted horror film, that lacks the power of the original film. But manages to terrify the viewer nonetheless. Considering the crap being put out and labelled as "horror", Rec 2 is a solid piece of horror, and is one terrific sequel. For those who are sensitive to motion sickness, they may want to skip this film. The camera work is shaky and will definitely make certain people sick. However the fact that it's filmed documentary style adds to the creepiness of the film. The acting is fairly good as well, and the cast all deliver enough to keep this sequel from being a bore. Rec 2, may be imperfect, but it still brings on some genuine jolts. Considering that everyone is now set on remaking classic horror, it's good to see a horror film like this pop thats against the grain, and in your face. Considering it's a sequel, it manages to be entertaining and be scary despite the imperfections. Rec 2 is a good enough horror film to entertain the most diehard horror fan.
RCCLBC
RCCLBC

June 17, 2010
Not Bad (as follow-ups go).
I did enjoy the style in which it was pieced together, but the story felt like a bit of a strectch.
Worth seeing, just don;t expect the excitment of the first one.
CloudStrife84
CloudStrife84

April 26, 2011
Surprisingly sturdy sequel. Very similar to the first film and follows the same style and direction. Besides that though, there's really not much more I can say about it. I only wish they'd have given it a more conclusive ending, instead of leaving things open for another follow-up. But that's how it goes with horror movies these days, so I suppose I should just learn to accept it.
Carlos M

March 6, 2010
Not only far from being as terrifying as the original film, this sequel also makes the mistake of offering an explanation for the story, combining zombies, viruses and demons, all in the same pot. Even so, there are a few moments that work well.
Matt G

January 23, 2011
Great remake! Hopefully they'll make a Quarantine 2. This movie has much more thrills and chills, action packed and with swat!

Grade: B-
gor41
gor41

December 30, 2010
Top draw horror which satisfyingly weaves its story into the original and extends it in interesting new directions. The camera work is again impressive and the sense of claustrophobic panic maintained. Obviously feels less fresh than the original for its time and it does resort to mixing its influences a bit too freely (possession,virus,parasite ?).
skactopus
skactopus

December 16, 2010
Jaume Balaguero and Paco Plaza team up and get a sequel right with [Rec] 2.Although a continuation of [Rec], this one is independent enough to stand on its own; however a viewing of [Rec] is a recommendation.With the final scene of the first picture serving as the opening scene here, [Rec] 2 picks up right where the first installment left off and the 80 minutes are soon over. With a few early minutes of dialogue as the SWAT team arrives to the scene, every minute hereafter is eligible for suspense and scares. It doesn't disappoint.There is more focus on story details than scares and this is fine because both mix well together to form a solid movie. The motion sickness factor of the hand-held camera style is very minimal, as the camera shots are nicely done and consistently steady enough throughout.The actors give that realistic feel to the film, while at the same time not making it look overly fabricated. The makeup and effects of the infected are also noteworthy.[Rec] 2 has very little disappointments and is all around a successful thriller out of Spain.
Everett J

October 3, 2010
not as good as the first one, but a pretty damn good sequel. Loved the ending!
3niR
3niR

March 9, 2010
The first one was more scarier than this. But it was good. The reason behind all this virus thingy was much more shocking than you could have imagined. I did felt bored while watching it. The twist at the end totally blew me away. One thing I don't like about this camera movie was, it's pretty hard to understand what's going on.
EightThirty .

March 5, 2010
30/07/2010 (DVD)

A very well thought sequel. It seemed real and it had decent timed jolts that made the experience more fun. I wouldn't say that it's better than the first, but I will say that it was an excellent idea to start straight from where we left off in part one.

The skillful and careful camera-work was amazing, just like in the first one and really lives up to the title, "[REC]". It absolutely felt like actual footage of real events being recorded right there and right then, so very believable and the actors/actresses were so natural that it looked real.

I really enjoyed the "Pulp Fiction" portions that filled in the gaps and really answered the questions where we were lost. This is a definite "Top Shelf" choice for "Horror" and I enjoyed it terrifyingly.
familiar s

March 20, 2010
Good, though not as great as the first part.
creepfreak
creepfreak

August 22, 2009
Not as good as the original, but still a bad ass, action packed, bloody joy ride. Sends many chills down your spine, and a few jump out of your seat moments. A worthy sequel and a fun thrill ride. Plays more like an actual movie than a mocumentary this time around, but it wouldn't have worked any other way. A must see for fans of zombie/or ultra rabbi films. Great flick, and worthy sequel. A must see!