• PG-13, 2 hr.
    In Theaters:
    Jan 20, 2012 Wide
    On DVD:
    May 22, 2012
  • 20th Century Fox

Critic Review - Newark Star-Ledger

Instead of pride or anger or resolve, all it left me feeling was a little bit of regret that I hadn't been home, watching "Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo" instead.

January 20, 2012 Full Review Source: Newark Star-Ledger | Comments (28)
Newark Star-Ledger
Top Critic IconTop Critic

Comments

Jordan Gilliam

Jordan Gilliam

Nigga, you're white. What kind of pride were you hoping to leave with?

Jan 20 - 02:11 PM

Kristina Hinckson

Kristina Hinckson

Then you didn't get the point of the movie.

Jan 20 - 08:40 PM

Rashad Good

Rashad Good

The see problem is Kristina is that these people are oblivious to how their ancestors viewed us African Americans. Every time a white character as he described in his review as being an evil villain with a scar down his face with an agenda to destroy the Africans made him cringe and he felt as if this was an absurd tactic to downplay the white characters as they did in their films e.g. 300 and that it could not have been true a " NAZI " pilot who bears a chip on his should of African American pilots out doing their white counterparts in this world. This is main reason why Reality seems to be a lot more weird then science fiction cause of their iron curtain for reality from their druids in which they have created for them.

Jan 21 - 03:27 PM

John Shewmaker

John Shewmaker

this was a pretty poorly made film, terrible editing, terrible dialogue, terrible score. Truly a bad film.

very important topic.

very terrible movie.

Jan 24 - 01:48 PM

Sean Moore

Sean Moore

What?? Really dude tell me what you think not what you think what I thought...Really what???

May 31 - 11:36 PM

Bakari Phd

Bakari Phd

This movie was excellent! After it was over, the weirdest thing happened. People did not want to leave the theater. It will have an effect on you.

Don't listen to the critics. Make up your own mind.

Jan 20 - 09:27 PM

Troynetta Johnson

Troynetta Johnson

I love this movie. It is a must see. Especially for African American young men. Black people are often displayed in movies as hoodlums, theives, drug dealers or addict, this movie show the faith, tenecity, courage and union that we had and still have. I'm glad that George Lucas invested in this film, my cultural needed this. People of all nationality needed to be reminded just how much black contributed the this country.

Jan 20 - 09:34 PM

Peter Cowen

Peter Cowen

Can't wait for the promised prequel and sequel. Hahaha

Jan 21 - 12:08 AM

Sean Moore

Sean Moore

Good one ...I think I got it...

May 31 - 11:37 PM

Nathan Gifford

Nathan Gifford

Could you please review your grammar skills? You're not a great ambassador for your "cultural".

Jan 21 - 08:39 AM

Candace Reese

Candace Reese

You are probably not either.

Jan 21 - 07:04 PM

Harold Frye

Harold Frye

Come on man, simple typo... Don't judge her!

Jan 28 - 09:32 AM

Brendan Maas

Brendan Maas

"Cultural" is a typo?!...even if you honestly believe that's the case. Go ahead and pick any of the other 50 typo's in that one paragraph Troynetta just TRIED to write!

Jan 28 - 09:04 PM

andrew  j.

andrew j

How about "just how much black contributed the this country"? If that was your attempt at English then you probably did like this movie. I believe it was intended for the 8-10 year old demographic.

Jan 29 - 07:55 PM

Hannah DeHart

Hannah DeHart

Picking on someone's spelling and grammar instead of addressing their actual argument. Good job A+ gold star for you guys.

Jun 13 - 10:48 AM

Sedrick S.

Sedrick Strozier

ambassador? what makes her an ambassador? are you an ambassador?

Jan 31 - 09:53 AM

Sedrick S.

Sedrick Strozier

ambassador? what makes her an ambassador? are you an ambassador? Can she not simply be one person, with a singular opinion, that only represents herself? Because that's what I thought she was. Can you please explain what makes her an ambassador? I just don't understand.

Jan 31 - 09:56 AM

Sedrick S.

Sedrick Strozier

@Nathan G. Ambassador? What makes her an ambassador and to what is she an ambassador? I don't understand. I thought she was just one person, with a singular opinion only representing herself. But you make it seem as if she is speaking for an entire group of people. Am I wrong? To that point, are you an Ambassador? What makes someone an Ambassador? Arg! So many questions

Jan 31 - 10:00 AM

Alex Giuliani

Alex Giuliani

Before you try to write about history you should go back to English class and learn to write correctly. You lose a lot of credibility with your poor skills.

Jan 21 - 09:23 AM

w@velength

In Your Dreams

I don't believe for a second that you are actually black, studio plant.

Jan 21 - 02:33 PM

G Louis

Gaston Marty

In my opinion, the movie hurts the cause it celebrates more than it helps it.

The racism issue is too repetitively prominent, sometimes to an unbelievable degree: Would a bomber captain say to everyone on radio that the escort is no good because they are negroes? He might say that privately, but not in combat, where he could be accused of needlessly demoralizing those who hear him...

The lack of focus on believable characters and dialogue is just overwhelming (great CGI though)... They are not likeable or relatable, and most events seem phony and cliche, detracting from any involvement.

GLouis

Jan 25 - 11:42 PM

Sean Moore

Sean Moore

Way harsh on the english majors and PHDs...part but you make solid relevent points...well stated...thanks!

May 31 - 11:41 PM

Richard Grabowski

Richard Grabowski

Another useless and wrong critic. They really pay these numb nuts?

Jan 21 - 07:06 AM

Cuyler DeArruda

Cuyler DeArruda

There are no wrong critics; only differing opinions.

Jan 21 - 08:58 AM

Cold P.

Cold Pillow

A "wrong critic"...I could say your opinion is wrong too.

Jan 22 - 01:42 PM

Survivor Angelica

Survivor Angelica

How can someobe be WRONG about their opinion? Maybe it intimidates you that someone else is able to express ideas and articulate thoughts about why they liked or didn't like a movie. I like green beans... you don't... does that make either of us WRONG? Here is an idea... tell us what you thought of the movie!

Jan 23 - 02:02 PM

John Shewmaker

John Shewmaker

no, they pay them money. they aren't squirrels, ya know.

this was a terrible film, just totally awful.
the dialogue was childish, the score was forgettable, the editing of the scenes was pure garbage.

Jan 24 - 01:51 PM

Gregory Eichelberger

Gregory Eichelberger

He's right, but I should have been home watching "12 O'Clock High" or "Battle Of Britain" or any other film about World War II pilots. Having seen the film, I can only say that the real Tuskegee Airmen deserved better than this ? much, much better.

Jan 21 - 03:35 PM

Tj Swafford

Tj Swafford

Agreed. Sadly, as much as I wanted to LOVE this movie...I walked away muttering "George ...what the hell man?". This movie could have been epic. Instead, it was thinned up so badly by horrible acting, horrible CGI, horrible editing and an equally horrible score to the point I'm not sure it will even make the $5 bin in WalMart. The Tuskegee Airman deserved so much more from this effort and I hope one day someone will tackle it and put it back into the clouds like a story of this magnitude SHOULD be.

Jan 22 - 01:42 AM

Dionne Nealy

Dionne Nealy

I, personally, thought the movie was great. The actors and the characters were awesome. For the people who have something negative to say about other people's opinions need to grow up. That's why they're called opinions!

Jan 22 - 10:24 AM

Dionne Nealy

Dionne Nealy

Jan 22 - 10:24 AM

Dionne Nealy

Dionne Nealy

Jan 22 - 10:24 AM

Dionne Nealy

Dionne Nealy

Jan 22 - 10:24 AM

Survivor Angelica

Survivor Angelica

I was inbetween about seeing this movie since usually studios dump there dud movies in January and February. I will probably pass on this film judging by the reviews. It always amazes me the level of ignorance presented by so many comments out here. Now It appears that we have race being thrown around. The brave men who fought during this war and others would be ashamed. I look forward to the day we no longer need black history month and can celebrate every persons qualities and differences as part of our daily existance.

Jan 23 - 01:56 PM

nils n.

nils niles

Once again Cuba finds himself in yet another poorly written and directed film. Pity, the guy is a damn good actor and a decent hockey player.

Aug 24 - 11:21 PM