Red Tails Reviews

½ April 6, 2015
(62%)
With fairly low expectations beforehand, this I found to be a better than I had been lead to believe. Most I'm guessing were put off by the sheer old fashioned way in which this tells its story. The dialogue, plot and performances are simple and to the point, and yes more than a little cheesy at times, but it's very hard to make a film centred around war heroes and for it not to be a little too flag wavy or corny in places. Despite the rank simplicity I liked the characters, I found the romantic sub-plot sweet, and the action sequences are plentiful, exciting, and well shot. Quite honestly of all the so-called miss-hits of recent years, this is maybe the best I've seen and as such this gets a decent recommendation from me.
½ March 28, 2015
Good entertainment, but this just feels like an extremely commercialised depiction of a flying unit in World War II, and never feels genuine.
½ January 5, 2014
150327: A lot of bad acting, coupled with a load of good action, balance each other out to make a mediocre movie.
September 5, 2014
It took Lucas 20 years to make this flick? He should've kept it on the shelf at Skywalker Ranch..
½ March 23, 2015
You can tell George Lucas had his hands all over this, because it's genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen in my life. I'm not even exaggerating in the slightest. It's corny, stiff, scenes seem to get randomly cut short before they're resolved, and it's written atrociously. I think my favourite line was when the mustache-twirling evil Nazi shouted, "Die, you foolish African!".
Incredible.
½ February 15, 2015
Whilst being fairly accurate, historically, with an important story that needed to be told the movie is at best average. The dialogue is worthy of Star Wars and the use of CGI in the aerial scenes is overused and poor. Seeing this movie reminds me just how good 'The Battle of Britain' and 'Tora, Tora, Tora' are.
½ February 1, 2014
Good movie, I enjoyed this one and the true story it told about the Tuskegee airman and the internal battles they faced among their own men in WWII.
½ December 31, 2014
This movie is not just an insult to black Americans, it is an insult to humanity.
February 4, 2012
Great effects and action scenes: Red Tails has the same problems the Star Wars prequels had.
April 20, 2013
So Red Tails isn't a very good movie.
Anyone who knows me well will tell you that I'm a pretty big history buff, especially when it comes to the history of warfare. I'm quite familiar with conflicts the likes of World War II, and in that regard I guess I judge films set within these events more critically than others. The story of the 332nd combat squadron, the Red Tails, is nothing short of epic, powerful, and would serve as the perfect historical criteria to make a film out of. This movie, however, doesn't really capitalize on that. Apart from a few cool dogfight sequences, the whole film is pretty dull, and has some less than stellar performances, and pointless subplots that don't really go anywhere. My inner historian tore more than a few scenes apart, and the whole tone of the film came off to me more as a light hearted adventure, as opposed to the truly remarkable story these men wrote in history. The characters also never really felt as if they were in any danger when in the heat of combat, and even if they were, it's not like I would have cared, being that I barely gave a shite about the characters in general.
It is evident that the filmmakers' hearts were in the right place, but they still failed to bring a remarkable, epic tale to life from the pages of history.
½ December 14, 2014
Conspicuously absent: Bombad General Jar-Jar Binks.
November 15, 2014
Premise of the story is fantastic, just wish this movie did it proper justice. The cast is likable enough, however the story and direction is choppy and lacking.
½ October 22, 2014
Ok,I think the best way to put this movie into words is this...remember that cheesy game blazing angels for the xbox, yeah, its basically that, but with racism involved somewhere.
½ October 18, 2014
Words cannot be written to say just how BAD this film is, I don't know where to start, I have been avoiding watching this for fear of realisation of just how bad.
It's a massive shame and a disrespect to the pilots who fought for this squadron, it;s a really interesting topic that deserves a great film with great historical accuracy and realism....I wonder if this will be released over and over with more CGI, could that happen on a lucas film.....The pilots are wooden, the script cringe worthy...cheesy awful dross...the BF 109 are flown by vader for sure....please somebody do this topic justice these pilots were ground breaking...honour them and dont cash in like you always do Mr Lucas...awful just utterly awful film avoid feel very sorry for cast....avoid like the plague....
September 29, 2014
Red tails is more of an eye candy rather than telling a good depth to its story. It has all the spectacles of all the World War 2 air crafts with over the top battle scenes that gives authenticity to its WWII details. Aficionados will appreciate, moviegoers will not. There are a lot of plot holes, flat dialogue, and decent acting. Aside from that, it's just plain Lucas' CGI.
½ September 14, 2014
The Tuskegee airmen deserve a whole lot better than this.

An incredible badly written, directed and acted movie. The script is where the problems start: lame, contrived, implausible, laughable at times and hung ho with very silly dialogue. It's as if it was written for kids. It does no justice to the actual 332nd Fighter Group.

Direction is similar. Over-the-top, unrealistic action scenes. CGI that looks like it comes out of a video game. No, wait, video games are more realistic-looking.

Performances are hammy. Terrance Howard is capable of better performances. It is par for the course for Cuba Gooding Jr, however: he peaked with Jerry Maguire and it's been all down-hill since then. There are no performances that do credit to the acting profession.

Very disappointing.
½ July 14, 2012
The visual effects of this soaring war film were under some of the effects of Lucas. (B)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording and requires another viewing)
September 5, 2014
Bland and poorly acted, with way to much schmaltz. Go watch Memphis Belle again instead.
September 3, 2014
Terrible movie the labor camp looked like a hotel with lights new clothes ect... Nice fairy tale I guess