Red 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Red 2 Reviews

February 2, 2016
Red 2. Follow on from the first which was amazing. Retired cia/black ops agent Frank Moses (willis) has the task of reuniting his old team of operatives after the threat of a missing nuclear device.
The on-slaught continues from the first movie and the group are plagued assassins, terrorists and government officials.
Wits, skills and each other to rely upon to stop the terrorists. Malkovich, Parker and Mirren along with Hopkins and Zeta-Jones make this movie old school but fun to watch. Comedy with action in built.
January 17, 2016
I hardly got through the first one, and I really tried to suffer through the second one, but just couldn't. I love retail, but even Bruce Willis act like he's never been to a Costco before in the very first scene is painful to watch, and then BAM!, something explodes...count me out.
½ January 16, 2016
My kind of movie! Lots of action, some humor and a good plot will keep me entertained all day. Loved Byung-hun Lee role. All of the regular "Stars" were absolutely lovable ! Please do a RED 3.
December 20, 2015
Red 2 at first caught me off guard a little; there I was thinking that it wasn't so bad at the beginning and that maybe people dislike this a bit too much, I was wrong. The second movie in the series is one of high octane action of which some could say the quota is pushed up in this one but it fails to make much a decent original plot and wastes the possible decent action-comedy this could have been. I must say for the record that I pretty much didn't like the first film, it was mediocre stuff really and the same for me applies here although this is generally much poorer than the first movie. Yet again starring Bruce Willis as Frank Moses, this time we see the gang of retirees and friends chase down a missing nuclear device of which such a thing could wipe out millions of people. That synopsis I just gave is the whole reason this is disappointing to me, it goes for the most over the top and yet most over used storyline ever.

This time the movie throws in Anthony Hopkins and Catherine Zeta-Jones (yes they seem to have been casting in Wales) and both are really kind of not used well but at the same time do at least bring personality. It's not that either does not bring skill to the cast, particularly Hopkins as Dr Bailey who does actually play the role very nicely but both are used to create incredibly basic characters and I wish this plot and its characters could have been more new and fresh. In comes a few people we saw from the first film and they do help the plot a little but overall nothing can be done to stop this being pretty dumb really, even the decent action is edited in an awful way which for me is one of the biggest mistakes of this movie.

Dean Parisot was not the right choice for this movie as director; from a film perspective he has made comedies before but his work is not a good effort for this. See getting a director for this kind of movie you would think the reasonable choice would be someone with a good background in comedy and action or possibly both but you get neither here, by no means does Parisot ruin this, but he doesn't do a great deal right. The two Hoeber's who wrote the first film write again and yet again it feels like a script that could look good on paper but comes out poorly on the screen, yet again like with Parisot they don't destroy the film, just make it below-par stuff.

Listen I'm not going to tell you to completely not watch this, with the first instalment I felt it was a film that a lot of people could enjoy but with this although I felt it wasn't as good, it still is far from terrible. I have to admit parts of this are not all bad and some bits if you take away what's going on in the story can be exciting, overall though just not a solid enough effort. Oh yes and one other thing that really for me didn't work was not only the bad guys in this, but also the way in which this movie seems to play serious a second after being silly, it just means that when an actual decent bit of serious acting comes in, a very basic joke either precedes or succeeds it and it just doesn't feel right. All in all a comedy-action that never quite even reaches the average heights of it's predecessor, try as it may it still just feels stupid and the cast is wasted on yet another pointless adventure.
½ October 26, 2015
These characters are pretty fun, but this sequel is not as good as the original. And the original was just ok to begin with. The script for this movie is what really fails it. It seems to meander from one thing to another without making us care about anything along the way. I think I liked Mary Louise Parker's character the best. She plays the fish out of water pretty well. They probably should have just stuck with one Red movie though.
September 21, 2015
One of the few sequels that is actually as good as the original. I loved Red, and Red 2 has the same cast of interesting and likable characters, has a great story and is funny and entertaining. It ranks up there with some of my favorite movies. I can watch it over and over.
October 5, 2015
It's still very enjoyble, but it gets pretty over the top and has way too many twists for a comedic action movie. The cast is still great though.
½ November 23, 2013
150825: Had me laughing out of the gate. Such a great cast of stars, from the old to the new. Love Parker & McDonough. Great action.
½ August 19, 2015
This is one of those movies that sell on the cast alone. The story is not important, and it's just as well. It's all about the wise-cracks and the shoot-offs. Quite boring and not as good as the first, as far as I remember.
February 10, 2013
Some have suggested that Red2 is better than Red. However, I had the opposite reaction. I was hoping for an intelligent script interlaced with some good humor. For me, Red2 had neither. Rather, it focused on an endless parade of unrealistic car chases, gun fights, hand-to-hand combat and pyrotechnics. If that's your recipe for a good movie, you'll enjoy Red2. However, if you're looking for a thoughtful, sophisticated crime drama with originality, Red2 is not for you. It simply serves up a huge plate of the same action clichés you've seen numerous times before. Plus, it's a shame that the acting talents of Helen Mirren and Anthony Hopkins were wasted on Red2. There are no surprises here. Red2 is quite predictable. You won't be sitting on the edge of your seat.
January 6, 2014
Palomera sin ser pretenciosa.
July 16, 2015
The Good:
Better, beefier, and more exciting action pieces. Mary Louise Parker's Sarah bigger role in the action department is much appreciated. The new and supporting characters are amazing throughout the movie, while the old cast (especially Hellen Mirren's Victoria) continues to shine and kicks more ass in an extravagant way. John Malkovich's Marvin is a scene stealer with his hillarious yet philosophical quips. Anthony Hopkins and Neal McDonough are much MUCH better antagonists than the ones in the prequel.

The Not-so-Good:
Muddled and confusing plot that's hard to digest at times, unfortunately with predictable outcomes that one would see coming immediately. The continuous bickering between Frank and Sarah gets tired real quick, and feels nagging than cute. Despite her being a part of the mission, Sarah ends up as damsel in distress once more. Many times, Bruce Willis is eclipsed and outshone by fellow cast members eventhough he's supposed to be the lead character.
July 12, 2015
Lost the charm of the first movie. None of the jokes hit and the action is too reliant on special effects.
July 16, 2013
First movie was way better..
April 10, 2013
Decent enough follow to R.E.D., although it was missing some of its charm. The action is ridiculous but fun, that acting is fine for what they are doing, and Anthony Hopkins was very funny as the cooky weapons creator. Turn your brain of and you will enjoy this for what it is.

3 Beards Of Of 5
June 4, 2015
The good thing here is when I see these brilliant actors doing a popcorn flick together in a overacting action with hype. Best scene would be Helen Mirren doing that dual handgun action in slow motion while byung hun lee drives like a beast. And Anthony Hopkins as a villain is priceless. We know he is the best out there till now. The bad things are, I really hate that Bruce-Parker connection with that corny romance. The script sucks much though I have some laughs at times. "Popcorniflish" action spy flick, just with a bad ingredient on it.
½ May 25, 2015
Not as funny as the first, but still quite entertaining. The formula should however not be repeated too often.
May 1, 2015
Funny as the first....need to make RED3
½ April 20, 2015
what was so fun and entertaining in the first film, does not translate over into this pitiful sequel.
March 18, 2014
Not necessary but suggest watching original (RED) movie first to fully enjoy RED2