Red Cherry Reviews

½ July 12, 2009
Interesting movie about foreign students from china and Asia being trapped in Russia during WWII during the Germans invasion of Russia. Historically some things are ignored (Stalin NKV etc) however this movie is about the children and what happened to them during the war time. It is a good movie and a good story. Some horrific things happen to these kids. Ideologies aside it's a movie well worth watching. Was life in Russia under Germans and captured Russians any worse than life under Mao? This is based on true accounts--were women really captured and tattooed by this mad German General (Doctor). Did this really happen? Parts of the plot concerning the children at the end seemed artificially constructed (some so painful I refused to watch.) It certainly is an important movie and one of the best movies of 1995. I am not sure many will enjoy viewing it. the film moves slowly and the 2 hours seemed like 4 hours to me. four stars maybe 5 stars the film really does make an unusual statement about war.
½ February 9, 2005
This is an excelent movie that I think is a must see. If you are interested in psycology, history, drama or just about anything else this movie will have something for you. The film is based on actual events that occured throughout the failed nazi invasion of Russia. The entire story is taken from accounts given by the children portrayed in the film. There are a lot of gory scenes and some underage nudity but it is still an excelent movie.