Rent

87% The Strain: Season 1
—— Unforgettable: Season 2

Rent Reviews

June 20, 2011
Great show. So much better than the movie version. The bonus features in my opinion are some of the coolest parts. Jonathan Larson's legacy will live on
Matt M.
April 20, 2010
If you did not get the chance to see this amazing performance in NYC, now is your chance... its a deep story about a group of friends dealing with aids, love, and surviving. It is one of my personal favorite shows on Broadway, I give it a 90%!!
Noga G.
March 24, 2010
Truely a dream come true!
Now I'll never forget what it feels like to sit there, in the theater, and watch the magic that forever changed my life.
Hannah H.
March 15, 2010
This film was moving and empowering, but I do not feel that it benefited from being converted from a theater production to a film. At times, the songs were kitschy and sometimes badly sung, and at other times, the music was extremely powerful. However, I don't feel that the directors took full advantage of modernizing and utilizing more evocative imagery in this adaptation.
Matthew D.
September 9, 2009
This broadway masterpiece can finally be watched over and over again. I saw this show 6 times on broadway before it closed. While the cast that starred in this final performance wasn't my favorite, it did include the original cast performing seasons of love at the end with the current cast. An era ended on September 9th, 2008. But at least we can capture it forever on this release. A must have for any Renthead. 1000 times better than the "movie" that was released in 2005.
bailey b.
June 26, 2009
This movie is really good.
markandleann
April 1, 2009
Very strong performances.
EJones216
September 25, 2008
RATING (0 to ****): ***1/2

There's a four-day limited engagement (well, three now)* for those of you who up to its closing could never make it to see the musical of the '90s, "Rent". For a comparatively measly price of $20, you can enjoy it with a few other people you know at a local digital theater. And maybe in a couple years, we will finally see a DVD that will ensure musical fans will not have to accept the needlessly disappointing 2005 film as a substitute.

Simply put is this: if you loved the musical on stage, you will love "Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway", which has everything but the original cast. Given how worn-out and aged they all sounded in the movie, the concept of fresh new voices isn't a bad thing.

Now, mentioning DVD. What the videography gives us the benefit of are close-ups, which above anything else show the facial expressions more effectively. But what any theatre buff will tell you is that the stage gives you one objective angle and it's up to you to look-- which is the fun of it. Company numbers like [i]Christmas Bells[/i] are filled with overlapping lyrics, and the editor cuts way too fast for anyone's good. Multi-angle was invented for this, and if Sony ever releases it on disc (they'd be stupid not to), this feature is a must.

The play: on paper, "Rent" sounds incredibly dated, and I'm not mentioning the now-unheard of technology of pagers, but the recurring element of AIDS, which several characters are diagnosed with. In the decade since, education has been very effective at proving that while there is no cure, the disease itself is very preventable.

Fortunately for this play, there is more than a social cause to keep it going. If nothing else, Jonathan Larson's rock opera is sure to keep you electrified, often to the point of bursting. The frequently cynical dialogue is delicious enough to fall in love with each and every one of these jobless Bohemian characters as they rebel against the establishment-- in the end of Act I, they devote a song to listing and paying tribute to every taboo in history, in an upbeat manner that spiritual predecessor "Hair" couldn't do in three separate songs.

Probably because we're given room to acknowledge it's all way over-the-top, so even if you don't support the nihilism of our protagonists, it won't ruin your enjoyment of the show. And... yes... the music is just too addictive to be upset about.

Unlike many epic-length movies, in its full-text filming of the play (a live performance complete with the audience), "Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway" [b]does[/b] include a 10-minute intermission for you to stretch your legs and other stuff if you really did get a large soda.

The show contains a nice surprise right after the final bows, but I don't think you needed me to tell you that. For Rentheads, there really is no discussion. For those who haven't seen the show, this is a great way to see it.

MPAA: Not Rated (but would be R for language, drug content and some sexuality)
Runtime: 2 hours, 32 minutes including intermission (the play itself runs 132 minutes, and no post-credits clips)

*CORRECTION (9/26): I got my dates wrong, thinking it was the 24th when seeing it. The show is not playing tonight, and locally it's playing on Saturday and Sunday varying between noon and 2PM. So yes, check your local theater listings carefully if you plan on seeing.