The Replacements - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Replacements Reviews

May 11, 2008
An interesting sports movie which somehow survives Keanu Reeves. Gene Hackman makes it well worth the time.
February 26, 2012
One of the worst things I have ever had the misfortune of watching. Cliche writing, terrible acting, this movie gets very little right.
½ October 1, 2011
Not so much a sports movie but rather a sports fantasy fried in buckets of greasy charm. Still watchable but only just.
January 10, 2010
I'm not a huge fan of sports movies in general, but this was semi-descent. It's kind of so wacky that you almost can't enjoy it on some level. The cast worked good together and I actually think that it's one of Keanu Reeves best performances.
½ March 20, 2008
"Every athlete dreams of a second chance. These men lived it."

The film has an expected storyline, a sportsmovie as it is. But it is also a very warmhearted story about a bunch of scabs who get a shot in the NFL.

Some of the scenes are very funny, for example the cheerleader auditions and the "I will survive" dance scene. But in overall, "The Replacements" is not that funny. It just doesn't work as a comedy. The drama elements would've worked better for me.

The acting is totally uneven. There's the seious Reeves and the totally freaky Favreau. And everything in between...

The filmmakers couldn't decide between a screwball comedy or a sports drama. As a mix, it doesn't work as I would've wanted it to work. But cheers for the ending though...

"There is no tomorrow for you, and that makes you very dangerous people."
April 7, 2008
Its not great but that wasn't its purpose, its only purpose was to give the viewers a movie to spend a really good time. Maybe the acting is not the best but it's convincing enough. This was a good sports movie, enjoyable and entertaining.
February 7, 2007
Shane Falco: I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style.
[pause while everybody is in the huddle]
Shane Falco: Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Last night I reviewed Nothing to Lose, while watching it on TV. Tonight The Replacements is on, and I enjoy it for the same reasons. It's nothing special, but its a satisfying movie to watch on TV late night. It's also the movie that no one really says they absolutely love, but many are able to quote random parts or bring it up in conversation at times.

It involves a professional football team going on strike, only to have the owners hire replacement players, headed by a former coach played by Gene Hackman.

The players include Keanu Reeves as a washed up quarterback, John Favreau, Orlando Jones, Fazion Love, and Rhys Ifans among others.

The movie works as an easy going sports flick, with entertaining moments spread throughout. I can't imagine anyone really expecting too much from this movie, but it is still entertaining.

There is also some decent football action, soundtrack, and spur of the moment celebration dances.

Fun flick.

Clifford Franklin: [Jimmy's putting stick-um on his hands] Coach, ain't that stuff illegal?
Jimmy McGinty: What are they going to do? Put you in football jail?
December 31, 2007
This movie was fun to watch.
½ April 27, 2007
Formulaic but fantastic!
deano
April 14, 2007
Really hilarious of the American football team and hottest of the cheerleaders. I was so happy to see a deaf guy appeared as one of players of the cool team in this sport comedy film with use his own American Sign Languages.
sanjurosamurai
½ January 18, 2007
decent, langton grows on you and its fun to watch
December 28, 2006
Not too bad. Pretty funny.
November 3, 2006
I like it...
½ October 23, 2006
Not good, but not bad.
June 20, 2006
Hooray for the underdog! This movie's plot is as predictable as the outcome of most jigsaw puzzles, but that doesn't mean it's bad! Keanu Reeves plays a great straight man against the likes of Orlando Jones and Jon Favreau, I can't believe that no one has ever thought of casting him like that before.
July 20, 2012
The Bad News Bears take up football, become scabs and take on Keanu Reeves as a quarterback. Poor Gene Hackman must have really needed the money.
February 1, 2010
Just a good time in a sports movie. Not altogether believable or a unique storyline but its all it needs to be. A good time at the movies if you want one of those feel good sports movies.
August 7, 2007
Really hilarious of the American football team and hottest of the cheerleaders. Keanu Reeves & Gene Hackman make a great team.
April 10, 2007