The Replacements Reviews

brinksace2 brinksace2 September 2, 2014
One of the best football movies ever made. Makes you want to watch football again. Seen the movies countless times and its still great. Can't wait for the Blu-Ray of it to show up!!!
Jordan R April 8, 2012
Yeah that's right, 4 stars. Shut up, its a guilty pleasure. Gotta love a movie with 20 different personalities, great soundtrack, stupid humor and an underdog to root for.
Paul D ½ August 20, 2014
An interesting enough story for any sports fans to warrant a watch, but if you're looking to watch it on the basis this is a comedy then you'll be disappointed as the humour only really simmers throughout despite the fact all the characters are exaggerations of a reality.
Hector C August 10, 2014
excelente pelicula muy buena
Adam R ½ February 11, 2010
(First viewing - Teen years)
Jon A ½ September 20, 2007
Hackman is as classy as ever, Keanu doesn't mess it up, good supporting cast all make nice contributions.
Nathan B ½ October 8, 2013
This dramedy falls short, however there are some great moments, and it has a really good cast. Overall this is not as eventful as you may have expected and although there are some laughs in it The Replacement is not worth your time.
Riccardo R ½ June 3, 2014
Piacevole film a tema sportivo.

Non ci capisco una ceppa di football americano, ma ammetto di essermi divertito parecchio vedendo questo film.
Tsukasa A June 25, 2013
It's typical but not with so much fun.
Adam F May 12, 2014
"The Replacements" has a cliché-ridden plot, cartoonish characters an obvious outcome but still manages to be entertaining and funny. The film begins with washed up football quarterback Shane Falco (Keanu Reeves) unearthing a football trophy that reminds him of his glory days and informs the audience that he's going to be the underdog we'll be cheering for. Falco could've been a star but he blew it on his last college game and his career went straight down the toilet. If you know your sports movies, you know there might be some hope for him yet. Turns out the over-paid athletes for the Washington Sentinels are going on strike over some salary disputes. The owner of the team decides to give one last shot to Jimmy McGinty (Gene Hackman), the Sentinels' former coach. He's hired to win three out of the four last games in order to advance the striking team to the playoffs and to do this he's free to find his own team of replacements. Here's where we get the ragtag team of players with nothing to lose and everything to gain, backed up with the coach that does things HIS way! But do these guys stand a chance at the glory? They're not like those other players, they're amateurs! What about Falco, sure he's got his eyes on the lead cheerleader but she "Doesn't date football players, especially not quarterbacks" so there's no hope there, right?
So granted, the film follows the same misfit-sports-team formula you've seen over and over from "The Mighty Ducks" to "Dodgeball" and "Remember the Titans". Sometimes it gets so hammy you can even predict what the speeches are going to sound like and for that reason I can't tell you that this is a great movie. That's not to say it's not enjoyable though. When the entire cheerleading team gets replaced by strippers who manage to help the team score a few points by being overly distracting, there's some funny stuff there. It's also amusing to see a bunch of rich football players get put in their place by a bunch of nobodies who have a lot whole more heart than they do. It's often ridiculous, feels very contrived more than once but it stays entertaining all the way through. Like every good sports movie, it makes you care about the game's outcome and the players on the field so it more than accomplishes its goals. As love plots go, this one isn't half bad either. If you are a fan of underdog sports movies, you'll enjoy it but if you're looking for something that's reinventing the wheel, you should probably look elsewhere. (Theatrical version on VHS, October 16, 2013)
kinadeon kinadeon ½ January 20, 2014
Good stuff. Keanu's the man!
Paul S November 13, 2013
Not great, not bad. This movie has just humor to make it watchable. Don't buy or rent, but if it's on cable on a rainy day watching it won't make your eyes bleed.
Kashfia F ½ September 22, 2013
Uplifting & feel-good - exactly what the movie proposes to do.
Erwin J September 18, 2013
One of the best football films in history and it hardly has any football in it.
John W August 19, 2013
These American Football movies, though mostly formulaic, are always uplifting and inspiring.
Ryan M August 16, 2013
Predictability can be fun.
Freeman M July 10, 2007
This movie's popularity baffles me. It's not horrible, but it's not anything special either.
Robert G July 23, 2013
Yeah I made an account just to say this. This movies is based on a true story. It actually happened to the redskins in 1987. So it cant really be clichéd if it all really happened can it. Do your Research!!!!
Keith L January 3, 2013
Let me just sum this movie up for you in a nutshell, so that I can hopefully be successful at making people avoid this horrendous movie: a football team tries to win a big and extremely hyped game that they have to win, all with a boring plot, unnecessary uses of popular 70's and 80's songs, and putrid and overused jokes. This is why I hate sports movies, especially ones that are comedic. When I watched this piece of garbage, I knew what to expect going into it, but I did not think it would be just plain terrible! This is not just an average bad movie. This is one of the most offensive, maddening, and wretched movies I have ever had the displeasure of sitting through in my life. Even giving it a 40% on this website is praising it. I wish this was as critically panned as "Battlefield Earth". The fact that this movie has a higher rating than "Radio" and "Angels in the Outfield", two GOOD sports movies that actually have funny moments and are well-made, just pisses me off so badly. Oh well, at least those two made more money than this piece of trash. Do not watch this movie. If you are forced to watch it, tell the person that made you watch it that you would be better off without them. Worst f---ing movie I have ever f---ing seen in my c---s--king life.
Trent W June 3, 2013
Not the best movie but I really enjoyed it when I was younger