The Replacements - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Replacements Reviews

December 29, 2015
Keanu is likable, but the stock characters and generic plot make the movie dull for those looking for something with a bit more substance.
November 7, 2006
WOW......WOW......WOW......WOW......JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH AN ENJOYABLE MOVIE 2 WATCH.......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie.....I think that gene Hackman, Keanu reeves, brooke Langton, orlando jones, jon favreau, rhys ifans, jack warden (.R.I.P.), play good roles/parts throughout this movie......I think that the director of this sports/fitness/comedy/drama movie had done a great job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie........I think that brooke Langton was fantastic throughout this movie as the female lead/love interest of Keanu reeves throughout this movie......its got such a fantastic soundtrack throughout this movie......

Box office

The film opened at the third position at the North American box office making $11,039,214 USD in its opening weekend, behind Space Cowboys and Hollow Man which was on its second consecutive week at the top spot. It eventually grossed $44 million domestically and $6 million internationally to over $50 million worldwide

Critical reception

The film received general mixed reviews from critics. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film maintains a 40% approval rating from critics, the critical consensus saying "The cliched characters and obvious outcome make all the fun and excitement amount to nothing." On the similar site, Metacritic, the film has a score of 30/100.

Roger Ebert gave the film 2/4 stars, writing that the film was "Slap-happy entertainment painted in broad strokes, two coats thick."

Production

M&T Bank Stadium, the home of the Baltimore Ravens football team, was used as the Sentinels' stadium. It was called Nextel Stadium.

The movie was loosely based on the 1987 NFL strike, specifically the Washington Redskins, who won all three replacement games without any of their regular players, going on to win Super Bowl XXII at the end of the season. (Though the film is a story of the replacement players, the Falco-Martel QB controversy is quite similar to the one experienced by the post-strike Redskins between Doug Williams and Jay Schroeder.) Hackman would later serve as the narrator for episode of the NFL Network's America's Game: The Super Bowl Champions devoted to that team.

The multiple-fumble touchdown for the Sentinels against the Phoenix team was based on the real-life Holy Roller between the Oakland Raiders and San Diego Chargers in 1978. John Madden, who along with Pat Summerall played himself throughout the movie and was "calling" the Sentinels's touchdown in detail, was the head coach of the Raiders at the time of the Holy Roller play. The National Football League changed the rules for the 1979 NFL season only allowing the fumbling player to advance the ball on fourth down or on any play after the two-minute warning in either half. However, since Shane Falco was the one who fumbled the ball at the start of the play and is the only one who advances it the play would have been legal in real life.

I think that Orlando Jones - A stockboy in a mini mart who can outrun anyone, but cannot catch anything., was fantastic throughout this movie as Clifford Franklin #81 (WR)

WARNING THIS MOVIE CONTAINS STROBE LIGHTNING EFFECTS THROUGHOUT SOME SCENES THROUGHOUT THIS MOVIE......

man this is such a really funny enjoyable movie 2 watch, its got such a great cast throughout this movie.....it is such an enjoyable movie 2 watch with such a great cast throughout this movie......
½ June 1, 2015
Just a fun,do not take too seriously piece of entertainment.....it should not be thought of any other way and that's more than enough.
May 21, 2015
Pure fun from start to finish
½ April 25, 2015
One of the better Football films and a fun ride. Keanu at his best.
½ March 20, 2015
I love sports movies. I'd watch a movie about Olympian tiddlywinks! The trouble with 'The Replacements' is that I've seen it before, in every comedy sports movie ever made. A terrible cliche ridden movie, not worth the talents of Gene Hackman and Jack Warden.
½ July 31, 2007
One of my favorite football movies, Get me the ball, I'll get you the ball, get me the ball, I'll get you the ball. I am not sure why people seem to hate Keanu so much, I think it is just because he is good looking and famous, and they think they could do what he does, but I think he is a good actor, and he is perfect in the role of Shane "Footsteps" Falco. Overall this movie is a little dirty, but really funny and has a great cast, and it is always nice to see Gene Hackman work.
March 15, 2015
Another personal favourite of mine - although it's predictable, I find it to be funny and entertaining. Sit back with a beer and just enjoy the shenanigans. :)
February 25, 2015
totally predictable but entertaining enough it never became an issue!
January 5, 2015
Gotta review a football movie during the playoffs (with my beloved Cowboys advancing) The Replacements is one of those movies critics have to hate or be thought shallow. This is a fluff of a movie, but I don't know a single guy who didn't like this film. It's a slapstick comedy football flick with the legend Gene Hackman, Jon Favreau, Keanu Reeves, Orlando Jones, John Madden and scene-stealer Rhys Ifans. The Replacements has it all, good comedic performances, unique and likable characters, bone-jarring football sequences, a feel-good story albeit formulaic, pretty girls...what's not to like? If anything, I find it pretty trite that "serious" movie reviewers cut it down for being lightweight or not very original. It's a football movie with Keanu Reeves and 3 actors whose mainstay is comedy, cheerleaders recruited from a local strip club, were they expecting "Remember the Titans"? Rhys Ifans character, a loud-mouth Welsh soccer player, is smoking a cigarette while kicking a 65 yard field goal. If you want critically acclaimed, watch Citizen Kane, if you want a goofy football movie with some laughs and a rockin' soundtrack, try "The Replacements".
November 12, 2014
March 1, 2011
by far the greatest sports movie of all time
September 2, 2014
One of the best football movies ever made. Makes you want to watch football again. Seen the movies countless times and its still great. Can't wait for the Blu-Ray of it to show up!!!
April 8, 2012
Yeah that's right, 4 stars. Shut up, its a guilty pleasure. Gotta love a movie with 20 different personalities, great soundtrack, stupid humor and an underdog to root for.
½ August 20, 2014
An interesting enough story for any sports fans to warrant a watch, but if you're looking to watch it on the basis this is a comedy then you'll be disappointed as the humour only really simmers throughout despite the fact all the characters are exaggerations of a reality.
August 10, 2014
excelente pelicula muy buena
½ February 11, 2010
(First viewing - Teen years)
½ September 20, 2007
Hackman is as classy as ever, Keanu doesn't mess it up, good supporting cast all make nice contributions.
½ October 8, 2013
This dramedy falls short, however there are some great moments, and it has a really good cast. Overall this is not as eventful as you may have expected and although there are some laughs in it The Replacement is not worth your time.
½ June 3, 2014
Piacevole film a tema sportivo.

Non ci capisco una ceppa di football americano, ma ammetto di essermi divertito parecchio vedendo questo film.