Rescue Dawn Reviews

½ July 4, 2015
Rescue Dawn seems like a typical survival movie. Yes, it is.
But the performance made this movie excellent. I have no idea how Christian Bale prepared for his role.
Christian Bale is Brilliant!! Actually the whole cast is amazing. I even cried at the end of the movie not because I was sad, but because I was happy. In the end, I would say Rescue Dawn is an inspirational excellent movie and I am very glad that I just watched this beautiful movie.
May 30, 2015
Inspired by true events, Rescue Dawn is a harrowing tale of survival. The story follows Navy pilot Dieter Dengler who's shot down in Laos during the Vietnam War and is imprisoned in a Viet Cong internment camp until he and his fellow POWs attempt a daring escape. Christian Bale, Steve Zahn, and Jeremy Davies all give incredible performances. And, writer/director Werner Herzog does an impressive job at bringing a gritty realism to the film. However, the pacing is kind of slow, and the narrative is weak and hard to follow at times. Yet despite its problems, Rescue Dawn delivers a compelling tale of heroism.
May 30, 2015
Christian Bale's excellent performance shows the maddening effects of confinement and search for rescue. The film's slow pace helps audiences gain an understanding of Dengler's experience, but it will bore those seeking a thrill.
½ May 28, 2015
Great acting from Bale, a great true story, and a very good film.
½ March 25, 2015
If you're a fan of Christian Bale you have to see this movie. This and American Psycho are his best performances, in my opinion. He usually plays roles where he's strong and in control, it's interesting to see him start as his typical self, then humbled by the prison camp and the jungle.
½ February 6, 2015
In 1965, an American pilot on a top secret bombing mission was shot down over Laos and taken to a prison camp deep in the impenetrable jungle of Vietnam. The pilot's name is Dieter Dengler and he goes through some harrowing experience while he is there with his prison mates. Soon they plan a escape, but the real prison isn't the prison camp itself but the whole jungle. Inspired by the true story of Dieter Dengler(Christian Bale), this was a exhilarating experience. It stands as a true testament to the impossible boundaries of the human condition, like it says in the back of the DVD/Blu-ray cover. This was a excellent film and gives "Cast Away" a run for it's money. Christian Bale really brought his A game into this movie and his acting was very well executed like the rest of the movie. He played Dieter Dengler in a charismatic and very likable way, to the point you actually really care for his character. The insanity that consumes the prisoners was believable and the escape plan part of the story was well done as well and it was interesting and involving. I must say this is also a feel good movie and doesn't keep you depressed at the end of the film, which was a breath of fresh air. But it was a gripping film that had my attention from beginning to end, and it was effecting and engrossing. I however found something to be missing, maybe the intellectual depth or maybe it's cause it's a bit too American. lol! :P
½ January 29, 2015
I appreciated the film on a number of different levels. But, found myself unimpressed with the ad-lib dialogue that often seemed forced and awkwardly inhuman. The documentary-esque style of filming was impressive at times and the method approach that Bale gave with his performance was shocking at times yet not altogether there as a whole performance. The entirety of the film came off as slightly pretentious and laughable due to the loopy misdirection of Herzog. It was a strange approach to a story with a number of loose-ends that never get tied up. A little disappointing being a fair-weather fan of Herzog and Bale alike.
½ December 29, 2013
Quite an unusual story and an even more unusual way to shoot it. Directed by legendary film maker Werner Herzog, this tale of a German pilot being held prisoner during the Vietnam war, in one of their death camp, is a tough piece of film making and quite a detailed depiction of the daily privations, humiliations and tortures men had to face. It's raw, uncompromising & very well done. Keeping it low key, Herzog maintains a sense of ungency, death & survival rarely shown in films. Great cast, great locations.... one of these films that stays with you for days on....
Robbanflix
June 20, 2007
A true story based Vietnam movie about a pilote "Christian Bale" crashing and captured by the enemy. The movie take place mostly in the camp/prison and its not many action scenes but quite decent anyway..
½ December 24, 2014
Sometimes beautifully engaging while other times a drag, Rescue Dawn is an incredible, but tragic story of an American pilot who is shot down in Laos and imprisoned by villagers allied with the Pathet Lao. Dieter Dangler and four other prisoners plan for an escape while dealing with another prisoner, Gene DeBruin, serving as the foil. The film is really compelling to watch thanks to the strong performances from Christian Bale, Steve Zahn, and Jeremy Davies. The location is also enthralling to watch. I thought director Werner Herzog really did well with the shots and use of the environment and documentary footage in the beginning of the film. I linking this with Encounters at the End of the World, another masterpiece by Herzog. However, there are a few issues with the film especially Herzog having to do a PG-13 film because it cuts certain truth to the story even though it could lapse itself in glorifying torture. It doesn't help that there are certain elements of literature instead of historical accuracy like the use of foil which sparked controversy among the family members of DeBruin. We are left in the dark with the characters after the big break out. Don't think of it as a spoiler, this is film is after about survival.
½ December 10, 2014
Riveting. That's the only word that I could possibly use to describe this entirely underrated Vietnam War film. Werner Herzog created a masterpiece that unfortunately no-one went to see.

The film tells the shocking true story of Dieter Dengler, a German-born American Navy pilot whose plane is shot down over communist-held Laos during the Vietnam War. Dengler is taken in as a prisoner at a POW camp, and immediately begins plotting escape. He eventually becomes the first POW to escape during the war, but finds an unforgiving jungle waiting for him on the other side.

Dengler is portrayed in a typically unhinged manner by Christian Bale, who leads a cast that includes Steve Zahn and Jeremy Davis. Much of the cast list is made up of unknown actors, and Herzog proves to be a brilliant director at gleaming talent out of these names.

The film goes to some of humanity's darkest places, and also shows an optimistic side of our desperation for survival. This is a film about the human side of war, with no grand visions about the morality or ethics of war, and just focuses on the effect on one man. For such a grand event in history, it is a really great intimate film.

A very solid 9/10.
October 27, 2014
"Unique but still ordinary flick about Vietnam ".
June 29, 2014
This movie isn't easy to watch because of the realism and brutality in it but it's that and Christian Bale's incredible performance that makes Rescue Dawn a movie that can't be missed.
April 27, 2011
A solid story of survival featuring a strong performance from Christian Bale and gorgeous cinematography.
October 4, 2014
There were not as many "moments" in this film as the story deserved. However, the raw minimalism and passion of Christian Bale performance makes this more than worth the two hours.
September 21, 2014
Better than I was expecting. Bale was given some semi-retarded cheesy lines to say during the first 1/4th of the film which had me in fear of another overrated p-o-s. I was worried that the scene where 1 of the pilots was heckling the survival training video was going to be the high point of the entire movie but it improved later on. 90% is still overrated but the audience 74% is closer to the mark.
September 20, 2014
Bale delivers one of his best performances in this survivor tale that is both realistic and heartbreaking. Herzog directs with such sensitivity that when something happened it seemed totally right. Grim but true tale and has really high tension in some scenerios. Its build up of charcters is hard to match.
½ September 8, 2014
Not an effective film.
July 20, 2014
This is a good solid movie. I am glad a saw It, but I won't be seeing it again. I am glad I took the 2 hours to see it.
June 30, 2014
Based on the true story of a US Navy fighter pilots struggle of survival after being shot down and captured during a mission over Laos during the Vietnam war. Considering the material this was not as good as it should have been. It's a bit cheesy actually and winds up feeling more like an episode of Locked Up Abroad with the bad re-enactments. Steve Zahn does a great job as another POW as does Jeremy Davies but Christian Bale is terrible with the best part of his acting job being the weight loss. I also found the sound of his voice annoying particularly when he's yelling, weird I know. The ending is also too much, with the kidnapping back to the ship (Rescue Dawn) and all the rah, rah once aboard, like he's a rock star or something. So bad, I can't believe this really happened. In all honestly I never got the feel of the 60's here either, maybe the 80's. Disappointing as a whole. 7/5/14