The Rescuers Reviews

½ March 16, 2012
Reviews for Walt Disney Animated Studios. #23
½ February 13, 2014
This Disney classic may not be the strongest of their past, but it still contains expressive characters (Orville the albatross is one of the best) and a wholesome plot. The film is highly enjoyable.
½ February 4, 2014
a little dark, but good.
January 22, 2014
Bernard, Miss Bianca, and Penny are lovable characters while the villain, Madam Medusa, was really fun to hate!
August 26, 2013
"Yeah, but two little mice.. what- what can you do?"

In the 1970's, the Disney studios were in a crisis. Walt had died in 1966, and the animation features released since The Jungle Book have either done OK or just plain flopped. By 1977, animation was more successful in television, such as Rankin/Bass and Hanna-Barbera. But Disney just doesn't give up. Developing a mystery cartoon adventure based on a series of books, The Rescuers was a success at the box-office, and was considered by critics to be the beginning of a second golden era for the studio. While that era didn't begin until 1989 with the huge success of The Little Mermaid, The Rescuers is a fun and delightful Disney film released in the "Dark Age" era.

A girl named Penny drops a bottle with a message for help in the ocean. That bottle is discovered by the Rescue Aid Society, a group of mice from different countries who meet inside, appropriately, the United Nations. The Hungarian mouse, Bianca, decides to take the assignment to find the girl, along with Bernard, the mouse janitor. They fly an albatross named Orville to the swamp of Devil's Bayou to rescue Penny from the villainous Madame Medusa, who intends to use the girl to find a missing diamond called "The Devils Eye" for her own intentions.

The animation is nice for a traditional hand-drawn Disney film. People might complain that the animation looks too cheaply drawn, but remember that in the 1970's, Disney was heavily broke and couldn't do too much. I believe that the animation looks cool for a film like this. The dark, murky looks of the swamp, the detail of New York City, it may not be Disney's strongest animation, but at least it's not the worst the studio has provided (Alice in Wonderland, cough cough). There's also a little bit of recycled animation here, but it's not as overdone as let's say, Robin Hodd where they use the same shot like 10 times. But the title sequence is very disappointing for a film like this. It showcases the journey of the bottle, but instead of strong animation, we are instead treated of a dull sequence with ugly paintings, making the sequence feel like a cheesy comic book. Despite a powerful song called "The Journey", the dull paintings didn't help. When you see shots of birds in the air, I didn't feel any emotions in the shot. That shows how disappointing the sequence is.

But that doesn't mean I hate The Rescuers. Actually, it's a fun movie. I liked the mysterious tone shown in the film. Even more memorable than the tone is the score. The bass lines are very catchy and there's some moving sounds throughout it. I also liked the songs used in the film. Besides the already-mentioned "The Journey", there's the decently enjoyable "Tomorrow's Another Day", and the beautiful, Oscar-nominated ballad "Someone's Waiting For You." Be sure to look for a cameo appearance by Bambi and his mom in this scene. (And I thought they killed his mother).

But the most entertaining thing about The Rescuers is the characters. The two mice, Bernard and Bianca, make a cute couple, and the voice roles by Bob Newhart and Eva Gabor are perfect. Bernard is very superstitious about the number 13 and has a fear of flying. Bianca loves all kinds of adventure and suspense. Other memorable characters include the albatross Orville, a redneck mouse couple (the husband voiced by Pat Buttram), and the dragonfly Evinrude (clear reference to the boat motor). The villain Madame Medusa is fantastic. She's creepy, she's crazy, has two creepy crocodiles as guards, and even uses a gun on the girl she abducts. Her sidekick, Snoops, is good for comic relief. And the girl Penny? She's a cute kid, and I liked her personality, but the overdramatic whininess about the teddy bear was a bit too much. She's like "Oh. I don't want by teddy bear wet." I kept thinking, "When are they going to kill that teddy bear?" Seriously, that teddy bear talk was very annoying. No offense about the kid, I liked her, but when I was a kid and I had a stuffed animal, I wasn't this crazy about it.

The animation might not be perfect, the title sequence may be very disappointing, the kid's craze about the teddy bear may be very annoying, but in the end, The Rescuers is a fun, entertaining, funny, and thrilling post-Walt Disney film. It's not Fantasia or Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, but it's a fun, underrated Disney film.
½ February 17, 2008
Olivia & I watched it. It's been forever since I saw it, but I remembered a lot from watching it as a little kid.
½ December 18, 2013
"The Rescuers" has a lot going for it, but fails to deliver on its promise of being a superior animated movie. Compared to other Disney flicks the characters are lacking and the themes are underdeveloped. Still, it's amusing to see Bob Newhart playing himself as an animated mouse.
½ November 30, 2013
Between the golden age of Disney animation in the 1930s, 40s, and 50s and the far shorter second golden age of the 90s was a period dominated by odd, awkward features like "The Rescuers." Some of the oddness in this movie works to its benefit: Bob Newhart and Eva Gabor are unlikely voice actors, being so understated and somehow "adult", but they are very cute as heroes from a literal mouse United Nations called the Rescue Aid Society. It must be largely due to their chemistry and vocal talents that "The Rescuers" eventually got a sequel. Some of the movie's oddness, though, makes "The Rescuers" an actively unpleasant experience: a maudlin take on child slavery, trailer-trash mice in a dismal bayou, and music that sounds like bad karaoke of B-side 70s folk. The characters and some of the animation seem lifted from earlier Disney films, which was something the studio did all too frequently around this time. The depiction of the main baddie is a trashier, less enlightened version of "101 Dalmatian"'s Cruella DeVille, and much of the supporting cast is straight out of "Robin Hood" (which in turn had imported many of its characters from "The Jungle Book"). In addition to Newhart and Gabor, glimpses of the painterly artistic talents of Don Bluth, who worked for Disney before directing his own darker and more fantastical movies, makes "The Rescuers" just barely worth watching.
March 4, 2012
It's a fun film, but not one of Disney's best.
½ November 9, 2013
This is the worst of all the Disney Classics.
September 29, 2013
The Rescuers has witty dialogue to generate lots of laughs, but it's the strong emotional depth that wins this movie over.
October 31, 2013
Certainly one of the most loved Disney works after its Golden Age, The Rescuers is the story of two heroic mice, part of a Rescue Aid Society, on a mission to save an orphan used as a slave by evil kidnappers to find a diamond. With The Rescuers, the house of mouse modernised a lot of its older elements such as the evil lady and the talking animals who oppose her. The end result works, thanks to a solid structure, some lovable character interpreted warmly by their individual voice actors and a story that is adventurous.
½ September 16, 2013
A little outdated but if you like that its definitely worth its time.
September 8, 2013
It was a really enjoyable animated Disney classic. It had very excellent animation, music, characters, adventure, action, voice cast, backgrounds and a great story. It's one of my favorite Disney animated movies from my childhood. I highly recommend this movie to both children and adults.
September 4, 2013
A early Disney film, with a nice story and starring some big names at the time. The overall plot doesn't make a whole a lot of sense. In which I that the lady didn't need to capture an orphan from NY and send it to Louisiana, just to go down in a tunnel and get a diamond. That being said the two main characters worked well off each other, there was not a lot of humor, but the story moved at a good enough pace to keep the audience interested. Overall if you are making your way through every Disney movie ever, then its worth a watch, but it is by no means a must see.
July 9, 2011
A surprisingly tedious, emotionally-remote feature, feeling strangely like a depressing Ralph Bakshi film-- Heavy Traffic comes to mind. Ultimately, the film brings more sadness with its bleak theme and moods than the simple joys that the Walt Disney Company has tried to make a standard.
September 3, 2013
I loved this when i was little
February 20, 2011
Pretty good flick, if not a tad too short. I would have liked to get more from the Bayou animals, as they really only get that final rescue scene to do anything in.

But I liked the lead mice, and the voice work from Newhart and Gabor, and the Penny character is so adorable, even for a cartoon.

Medusa was yet another great Disney villain and I loved her nasty pet alligators.

The whole concept that this young girl was kidnapped to help find a famous diamond is a very adult theme for a cartoon I must say.

The music was so-so, and the animation was nothing great, but it was just a good watch overall.
November 26, 2012
Beautifully animated--and overall pleasing to the senses--The Rescuers is a delightfully dark, yet charming adventure film. The characters are likable (especially Bernard, Bianca, and Penny) and the plot is engaging. It is overall a memorable, smartly-conceived animated film that has that rare gift of being able to appeal to both children and adults because of its amount of suspense and classic Disney fun. It is ultimately one of the best films in the entire Disney animated canon.
August 12, 2013
A warm and wonderful adventure that clearly was made by the same creative team as Robin Hood, this movie is a Disney picture that sometimes gets overlooked, but that is certainly worth a watch.