Resident Evil Reviews

August 13, 2007
There was much trepidation when this came to bloom way back in 02, an adaptation of the highly popular zombie horror videogame franchise? hmmm. Anderson's first foray into the adaptation world after some reasonable films like 'Soldier' and 'Event Horizon', his CV didn't look too shabby but previous attempts at this sort of genre proved dismal.

Amazingly enough this first offering in what is now an overly ridiculous 'Matrix' 'Blade' 'Underworld' monster mash mess is actually quite good and sticks to the original formula. It all kicks off inside the well known mansion but in an imaginative spin delves deep underground to the secret Umbrella facility. Here we get a very admirable 'Aliens' type thriller as a team of commandos battle to survive against a sadistic mega computer that runs the facility and of course lots of undead creatures/monsters.

So the whole film is contained within the underground labs instead of roaming the mansion which at first seemed wrong. Maybe they could of done with some mansion action but it actually works well. Later adaptation 'Doom' does seem somewhat similar in premise though, slight case of concept rip methinks.

Naturally the effects are mostly CGI for the creatures and they do now look rather crappy, very obvious. Of course you can't pan a film for that but the CGI hasn't dated well, where as sets and overall look for the film isn't too bad, zombies look a bit childish though. It is nice to see most of the videogame nasties in the film though, Anderson certainly did well not to stray far from the source yet add to it as well. Zombie dogs which aren't fully CGI but real dogs with makeup is a nice touch, a hint of the crows and Lickers which are good n scary...accept for the fact they are all fully CGI. The Red Queen computer character is a good addition to the fray and quite eerie at times also 'you're all going to die down here'.

This film is a welcome presentation of the franchise and shows what can be done if done properly. Its still mind boggling to me that the film is actually a reasonably scary horror flick! there are quite a few good jumpy moments and certainly no hesitation with blood. A creation of slow building dread and suspense is well handled throughout, alongside some nifty visual moments and a good if slightly cliched bunch of commandos all adds up to a darn fun ride.

Yes you can see many steals from other similar films (the usual tough bunch of soldiers taken down one by one) and the characters are all generic copies stemmed from a certain Cameron film but the fact its not a kiddie flick and watered down is fantastic and astonishing. There is no silly slow motion nonsense, no over the top set pieces, actually Jovovich plays it for real and isn't a Selene clone from 'Underworld'...yet.

Probably the best of the series if you ask me, and it was an Anderson film!! Its formulaic and cliched but still provides enough punch to do what its suppose to do...pretty much like the 'Doom' film.
½ July 29, 2010
Based on a video game of the same name, the "Resident Evil" films have become part of the cultural zeitgeist. While I find Paul W.S. Anderson films to be exploitative, gross, and so very lame, I get the allure, I do, but his films always leave a taste in my mouth, reminiscent of an egg binge. This film is a little more forgivable, because of its source material, using a woman as the protagonist and hero, and its huge impact on video game adaptations. Still, it looks so cheap and dark, which makes it more like a bit video game from the early nineties. The zombies were well constructed, and the zombie dogs were really gross and cool, which reminded me of great exploitation films of the seventies. Still, it just wasn't all that different from other action films, and it looked cheesy. The characters were indistinguishable, the premise was poorly executed, the Red Queen was not all that frightening, and Milla Jovovich is a blank slate, in the worst way. Just a badly executed, dark, kind of film.
TheDudeLebowski65
June 9, 2010
Resident Evil is one of those films that is pure popcorn fun from start to finish. The film was made purely for that reason. If you're looking for any form of logic in its plot or direction, you'll be sadly disappointed. This is a fun and watchable zombie movie that isn't made to bean award winning movie. I've played the games, and I enjoyed very much. Usually film studios can't adapt a video game to the screen due to the fact that the plot will suffer, and games are simply too challenging to adapt due to their scope and ideas. However with this film, there's enough material that works to make it a mindless hour and a half that is lots of fun due to nonstop zombie carnage and exciting action. Don't expect great performances with film, you certainly won't find it here, but as a zombie film, you'll surely enjoy if you're a fan. Acting wise, the film suffers from so-so performances, however Milla Jovovich is a strong lead and she plays the most exciting horror heroine in quite some time. If you do watch Resident Evil, go in with an open mind, and you won't be disappointed. The story itself is interesting and fun, and it does manage to keep you interested from start to finish. Horror fans will surely enjoy this one and it is one of the most exciting zombie movies in quite some time. The film has its fair share of flaws, but there's enough good things going for it to make it worth seeing. Resident Evil is fun for what it is, and is among the better video game to screen adaptations that have come along in quite some time. Fans will surely enjoy the film, but other viewers won't. This is the type of film that is only meant for horror fans and viewers interested in these types of films.
August 27, 2012
Ok, first and foremost, I don't play video games(other than some on my phone). I've never really played "Resident Evil", so I don't know how well this stacks up to the games, and I don't really care. I love zombie movies, and will watch just about anything that features them. So, when this came out I had to check it out. It's about a corporation that pretty much runs the world called Umbrella. They have a lab underground called The Hive, and one day a deadly virus is unleashed turning everyone down there into zombies. So a team of special ops, lead by Alice(Milla Jovovich) head down to find out what happened, and see if they can prevent it from spreading. Overall, this is a bad movie. The effects are bad, the acting is worse, and the movie doesn't really have a good pace. It slows down, speeds up, slows down, and speeds up. Just never settles into a good rhythm. There are a few really good scenes(the lazer scene is still awesome), but not enough to make this a classic worthy 4 sequels. It's an interesting concept, with poor execution. Worth a watch? Sure, just keep expectations in check,and maybe a better zombie movie handy in case you get bored.
½ August 16, 2011
Omg, this movie was crap. Absolutely horrible acting, dialogue, cinematography, direction, editing... EVERYTHING. This was so boring. I was a fan of the game... nothing like the game. The action scenes, though there were enough to make an action movie, absolutely was horrendous. Not even a horror movie. Sucked; do not watch it.
garyX
½ May 1, 2007
A special ops team infiltrates a top secret bio-weapons research facility after an outbreak of a virus that mutates living creatures into undead monsters. Paul Anderson treats us to another of his unimaginative and sterile creature features based on the successful videogame franchise. Any heterosexual man cannot fail to find Milla Jovovitch eminently watchable (her acting talents notwithstanding) and the special effects work quite well, particularly during the Red Queen section, but as with all of Anderson's films it is all so familiar and derivative that the pervading sense is of deja vu. That particular sequence is itself a straight rip off of Cube and although the zombies are of the "proper" type (ie. all slow moving, shambling figures) there's so little atmosphere or even gore that it just doesn't work as a horror film. As a slice of cheesy action sci-fi it passes the time inoffensively enough, but quite why it warranted a slew of sequels I have no idea.
jamers2011
April 20, 2011
I was really disappointed in this one, I was exciting something a little more fun and exciting. However I found this film to be pointless and boring.
½ October 29, 2011
Resident Evil has an intriguing premise, but ultimately fails in almost every way. The acting is horrible, it's not scary, the CGI is crap and really unrealistic, it's loud, cheesy, and predictable. Milla Jovovich fighting zombies in a mini-skirt was the only entertaining thing, and maybe some nice cinematography as well.
½ March 14, 2011
As a loving fan of zombie films I knew exactly what I was getting into watching this film, but this film really surprised me in it's substance. All the low rated reviews had me thinking this movie was going to be a bore, and was I wrong. This film was very enjoyable with it's constant jumps, twists and turns, and the plot to the movie was way more complex than any zombie film I remember. The effects were a little on the low end, and there were some typical zombie movie moments, but I still thought this film was well done and I look forward to the next film in the series.
December 23, 2010
A frenetic, electro-rockish sci-fi zombie movie that focuses more on the intriguing mystery than on the scares, especially during the well-paced first act. The sets have a nice video game look, and the result is not only better due to the atrocious CGI of the genetic mutated viral creature.
April 23, 2007
15/11/2010 (ONLINE)It's been a "Resident Evil" week for me! I just finished watching the entire saga beginning with this one. I must admit that back in the day I played the games and didn't like this movie because it was hardly like the game. This time round I decided to watch it not as an adaptation of the game, but just simply as a movie... and I enjoyed it more I must say.It does take a wee bit to kick off but when it did and things started to unfold the interest was indeed kindled, although predictable. It's pretty awesome sci-fi rather than a horror and the action is not too bad either, actually quite entertaining.Zombie hounds? That was pretty cool, I'd like to see some Zombie Lions, Tigers and Gorillas aye, try running from that! Anyway, it was a decent watch for me but I still say the game is more fun!!
3niR
½ February 5, 2010
This was nice. I think this was the first movie where I saw people waking up from dead and trying to eat people, so basically the storyline is pretty new to me. Yeah yeah I know the zombie thing is pretty old and there were already some movies on this but I've became addicted to watching movies pretty late so....
½ July 26, 2010
I actually really liked this. This is far from being a good movie but its a lot of fun so who cares. Its got lots of action, gore, violence, some girl nuditym and a hot bad ass actress Milla Jovovich, what more could you want in a movie? B
TheGame90
½ August 23, 2010
I haven't played the games...but it wasn't so bad...good action
½ June 3, 2010
By no means a great movie, but it has just enough cheesiness and is nowhere near pretentious. It's just a very entertaining and ridiculous zombie movie that somehow manages to be respectable half of the time. Part of that is due to the knockout that is Milla Jovovich, who spends the movie looking hot and kicking dogs in mid-air. You've got to feel for Paul W.S. Anderson this time around, he's such a geek for the game and making movies. Unlike some of his other movies, this is just a lot of fun and doesn't try to be the next Dawn of the Dead.
½ June 30, 2007
I'll admit that I'm a closet fan of the series, but the first installment doesn't do as much for me as the later movies. My main complaint is that the best part of the franchise, Milla Jovovich (Alice), doesn't get going until the last quarter of the movie.

Until then, we're subjected to boring build-up and the lamest, slowest zombies since the first Resident Evil game. When Alice finally starts doing her thing, the action picks up, but that doesn't fully wash away the boredom of watching the generic other characters being killed far too slowly.

There isn't much cross-over between the movie and the game, besides a few of the locations and the zombies. I don't mind that so much, but I wish Anderson would have added a few more cool moments and set-pieces to Resident Evil, to balance out the boredom. He clearly didn't aim to make the movie scary, so it really needed to be action-packed, to keep the viewer's interest.
FilmFanatik
January 22, 2007
Could've been so much better.
½ October 23, 2009
Has a very interesting and cool start, but quickly loses sight to become a generic horror movie with bland action and rock music that I didn't think fit. It tried way too hard to be cool. There needed to be more plot. The dialogue is also pretty bad at times and the special effects are terrible. That said, I somewhat enjoyed it, but it's gets nothing except a shrug of the shoulders from me.
MANUGINO
½ November 22, 2008
Pretty good movie, it really is very similar to 28 days later which is very awesome also!!!
A special military unit fights a powerful, out-of-control supercomputer and hundreds of scientists who have mutated into flesh-eating creatures after a laboratory accident.