Box Office Guru Wrapup: Resident Evil Guns Down Big Opening at #1

Summary

The 3D zombie sequel Resident Evil: Afterlife easily topped the North American box office on its opening frame leading a sluggish marketplace that delivered the worst ticket sales in over two years. Grossing more than the next six films combined, the R-rated action pic from Sony's Screen Gems unit debuted to an estimated $27.7M helped, of course, by 3D surcharges. The fourth in the successful line of Milla Jovovich films averaged a muscular $8,648 from 3,203 theaters outgunning the $23.7M of the last film in the series, 2007's Resident Evil: Extinction, which was the previous franchise high. Admissions remained mostly the same with just over three million tickets sold. Back to Article

Comments

Stepping Razor

Stepping Razor

It's good to see that Inception is still holding on, even if it's against a weak field.
Come on Hollywood, smarter, high quality movies please. Use Inception as a minimum marker.

Sep 12 - 05:36 PM

Isaac

Isaac H

Sad to see such a horribly reviewed, obviously bad quality movie take the top spot, though it's understandable due to the lack of competition. Not much to say this weekend, fairly uneventful. Bummer to see The American doing bad. Happy for The Other Guys and Inception, but it's too bad it won't make the 300 mil milestone.
Hope to see some more interesting opening weekends this month.

Sep 12 - 05:43 PM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

The script may not be that great but by no means does the film have bad quality... its actually quite beautifully shot.

Sep 12 - 06:33 PM

Isaac

Isaac H

i didn't word that right. I just meant it's not exactly what you'd call a SMART movie.

Sep 12 - 07:14 PM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

oh... when you put it that way I 100% agree

Sep 12 - 09:39 PM

Hunter V.

Hunter Vallot

I hope we will see a spike in ticket sales this month. With movies like Resident Evil, The Town, Devil, Wall Street 2, and Buried it seems possible.

Sep 12 - 05:47 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

Obviously Resident Evil isn't a high quality film but who gives a rip? It entertains for an hour and a half. The American public isn't stupid they just prefer to pay to be entertained not to sit through an hour and forty five minutes of George Clooney whining to a stripper about how his life as an assassin has left him soulless.

Sep 12 - 05:56 PM

Isaac

Isaac H

That is true. It's just that after Inception, I was hoping the streak of smart blockbusters would be kept alive.

Sep 12 - 06:24 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

Yeah, I've come to expect maybe one or two great movies every year. I fill up the rest of the year with stupid flicks. Hollywood doesn't know it's audience so I've gotten used to disappointment year after year.

Sep 12 - 07:59 PM

Matt J.

Matt Jordan

What is everyones definition of a "smart" film? That is the real questions here.
Get Low is a very "smart" film. I thought The Last excorsism was a "smart" film...even if the last 5 minutes dissapointed. Toy Story 3, Splice, The Ghost Writer...in my opinion all "smart" films (and they all came out in 2010). I have'nt completely given up on American film just yet...the problem is unless you have a big budget with superstars in the cast your chances of getting nation wide distrbution right out of the gate is next to zero. I think hollywood is putting out plenty of "smart" films...no one is seeing them...that is the problem.

Sep 13 - 08:50 AM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

A smart action film (in my mind) is one that looks to entertain (you know, "gun fights, car chases, proper action, and ****") yet goes beyond these to deliver a intelligent story, interesting characters, and good direction. Basically a action film that is good beyond just the "action."

Obviously all of this speculation is solely based on my opinion so debating this topic is rather pointless.

Sep 13 - 09:48 AM

Chris L.

Chris Liu

"The American public isn't stupid." Excuse me?

Sep 12 - 10:25 PM

Chris L.

Chris Liu

"The American public isn't stupid." Excuse me?

Sep 12 - 10:25 PM

Lando Griffin

ben keesing

Lol

Sep 12 - 11:56 PM

Mandrakegray

David Gaines

I enjoyed 'The American' myself, though I'm not surprised to see many didn't. 2nd only to 'Get Low' for me in terms of films released over the late Summer.

I have hopes for 'The Town' ... and seeing Eli Wallach in the trailer for 'Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps' made me smile. Though I still don't think I'll go the theater to see it.

Sep 13 - 07:39 AM

Hector A.

Hector Losen

So sad!Resident Evil doesn't compare with the other horror movie that opened last year,in this time frame!(Sorority Row).Too bad Sorority Row was a bomb.It was an amazing movie.

Sep 12 - 06:14 PM

ScytheofAzrael

Omar Siddiqui

I sincerely hope you're trolling.

Sep 12 - 06:26 PM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

I, however, hope you're merely joking.

Sep 12 - 07:19 PM

Sep 13 - 08:50 AM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

Sep 13 - 09:48 AM

ScytheofAzrael

Omar Siddiqui

I sincerely hope you're trolling.

Sep 12 - 06:26 PM

August M.

Agustin Macias

Wow, a huge gap! I haven't seen a gap this huge since The Dark Knight's opening weekend.

Sep 12 - 06:29 PM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

Sep 12 - 06:33 PM

Isaac

Isaac H

Sep 12 - 07:14 PM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

oh... when you put it that way I 100% agree

Sep 12 - 09:39 PM

Patrick

Patrick Wagner

Resident Evil had great camera work and 3D, but man oh man, it is getting further and further away from Resident Evil the game with every movie. :(

Sep 12 - 06:38 PM

juice3335

Louis Arreola

Who cares?? It don't have be the same as the game and it actually had a lot of elements from re5 in this movie. Unless of course you never played it.

Sep 12 - 09:45 PM

KJ Cassidy

kurt cassidy

But the game is so fucking cool!!!
Anderson has so much to work with.

Sep 13 - 01:50 PM

juice3335

Louis Arreola

Sep 12 - 09:45 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Then why call it Resident Evil?

Sep 14 - 10:08 AM

Weekly Binge
Weekly Binge

Check out Boardwalk Empire

Historical TV Shows
Historical TV Shows

40 TV depictions of past eras

Pictures of classic movie pairs

Annabelle Trailer