Box Office Guru Wrapup: Resident Evil Guns Down Big Opening at #1

Summary

The 3D zombie sequel Resident Evil: Afterlife easily topped the North American box office on its opening frame leading a sluggish marketplace that delivered the worst ticket sales in over two years. Grossing more than the next six films combined, the R-rated action pic from Sony's Screen Gems unit debuted to an estimated $27.7M helped, of course, by 3D surcharges. The fourth in the successful line of Milla Jovovich films averaged a muscular $8,648 from 3,203 theaters outgunning the $23.7M of the last film in the series, 2007's Resident Evil: Extinction, which was the previous franchise high. Admissions remained mostly the same with just over three million tickets sold. Back to Article

Comments

EllenPageIsMyArchitect.

Joshua Medicoff

I honestly really liked Resident Evil. Its not amazingly fantastic (oh wait, I'm very happy that Inception is still doing SO well) but its entertaining and had great 3D. I'm really looking forward to watching the Town, and Devil and MAYBE Easy A. Alpha and Omega looks awful.

Sep 12 - 06:57 PM

K

KateBeckinsaleLover Clarke

The Town and Devil both look good.

Sep 12 - 09:00 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

I'll agree on The Town, but Devil for me just has too many strikes against it. M. Night involvement, Too many actors you know are going to be bad and a fairly limiting premise have me leaning to waiting for it to come out on STARZ.

Sep 13 - 08:43 AM

K

KateBeckinsaleLover Clarke

I agree on the M. Night point, but I think the actors look pretty good from the trailer and the whole "same spot premise" has me hooked. Kind of like with Ryan Reynolds and Buried, that looks really interesting as well.

Sep 13 - 08:02 PM

Isaac

Isaac H

i didn't word that right. I just meant it's not exactly what you'd call a SMART movie.

Sep 12 - 07:14 PM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

oh... when you put it that way I 100% agree

Sep 12 - 09:39 PM

King Crunk

King Crunk

This weekend was weak for movies. Glad to see Inception still holding strong, though. Hopefully The Town delivers next weekend.

Sep 12 - 07:15 PM

TombstoneLawDog

Daniel Klein

I, however, hope you're merely joking.

Sep 12 - 07:19 PM

Matthew M.

Matthew Moran

Resident Evil was what you expected. Yes it could have been better, but it was a fun well done 3D film. Which hasn't been done for a while. This just proves that if you shoot it in 3D the 3D will add to the movie (which it did). And if they can do that with a budget that was under 100 million, then there's no excuse for any film to be converted. Sadly the films 3D trailer for Tron in Imax was a little underwhelming. The 3D doesn't seem to do much for the film. I can't remember if Tron was being shot in 3D or if its being converted after the fact.

Sep 12 - 07:53 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

In case you are still wondering, Tron Legacy, according to the numerous articles I've read was shot entirely in 3D. Personally I think it looks great with the 3d, adding depth, and flinging stuff at us only sporadically

Sep 12 - 10:26 PM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

Sep 12 - 10:26 PM

Matthew M.

Matthew Moran

I don't it might have just been the trailer. Hopefully as it gets closer a better, and longer trailer might show the beauty of its 3D.

Sep 13 - 04:19 PM

Throw An Onion

Crornk Kaleidescope

Yeah, I've come to expect maybe one or two great movies every year. I fill up the rest of the year with stupid flicks. Hollywood doesn't know it's audience so I've gotten used to disappointment year after year.

Sep 12 - 07:59 PM

Bloody Mathias

Mathias N/A

Bring on The Town already.

Sep 12 - 08:02 PM

sunsaz

Chris Moore

This weekend was absolutely pitiful. Hopefully, we see some better weekends than this before the Thanksgiving season.

Sep 12 - 08:20 PM

John H.

John Hurson

I was happy to see that Resident Evil picked up several of the horror trappings that the franchise seemed to abandon with the previous two films. For films set against a zombie apocalypse background, they've been getting kind of light on the threat from the zombies. Watching Alice wade through scores of Umbrella's inept security force of cannon fodder is just boring. So, I'm four films in now, & I still can't dope out what the gain is here for the Umbrella Corporation. There's no one left to market any of their "innovations" in pharmacology or genetic research or military applications, so there's no profit to be made. What are their goals? What's their motivation in doing all these horrific experiments? Would it help if I played the games?

Sep 12 - 08:35 PM

ChrisCinephile

Christian Chavez

no, the games are actually completely different from the movies, the games never have Alice, in fact they are always different stories with different characters, but what sucks is that the stories from the games are always interesting, which is why i wonder why do the resident evil movies suck if they have great resources to cover!

Sep 12 - 08:55 PM

The Reaper

Iron Will

The games are different of course. But listen, people, what works in a video game does not always work in a film. They can't just sit down, watch the game and script it exactly how it is. It won't work.

Sep 13 - 04:05 PM

Sep 13 - 04:06 PM

The Reaper

Iron Will

Sep 13 - 04:06 PM

doomzdavo

Doomz Davo

Inception wasn't just the best movie of the year,, its the best one in years. It deserved a billion.

Sep 12 - 08:47 PM

Brage Marcus Leinan

lol indeed

Sep 13 - 12:31 AM

Murdoch

Murdoch +

LOL !

Wait, what are we LOL-ing?

Sep 13 - 02:14 AM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Who cares, it's infectious LOL.

Sep 13 - 08:45 AM

Sep 13 - 04:06 PM

The Reaper

Iron Will

Sep 13 - 04:06 PM

K

KateBeckinsaleLover Clarke

The Town and Devil both look good.

Sep 12 - 09:00 PM

bigbrother

Bigbrother .

Sep 13 - 08:43 AM

K

KateBeckinsaleLover Clarke

Sep 13 - 08:02 PM

Jonathan Edward O.

Jon Owens

oh... when you put it that way I 100% agree

Sep 12 - 09:39 PM

juice3335

Louis Arreola

Who cares?? It don't have be the same as the game and it actually had a lot of elements from re5 in this movie. Unless of course you never played it.

Sep 12 - 09:45 PM

KJ Cassidy

kurt cassidy

But the game is so fucking cool!!!
Anderson has so much to work with.

Sep 13 - 01:50 PM

juice3335

Louis Arreola

Sep 12 - 09:45 PM

dj Mark

Mark Marquis

Then why call it Resident Evil?

Sep 14 - 10:08 AM

George Patchell

George Patchell

Ha, it's funny to read that ticket prices "even reached $18". I live in Australia and to see any movie in standard theatre for an adult is $18. Thankfully I'm a student so I get a discounted price of about $12-16 but there's no way I'd pay that much to see Resi Evil. I never saw the first 2 but was dragged to see the 3rd one and - while not as bad as I imagined it would be - was pretty terrible. I did however see Inception twice and man that was awesome! Really wanna see The Town coz Gone Baby Gone was one of my favourites from 2008 (we didn't get a cinema release til February 08). The American should be good but don't think its here yet! Our release schedule sux! We all get movies ages after the States and only get like 2 movies a year ahead of the States (this year it was Iron Man 2 - by 2 days).

I go on this site everyday but everyone is always talking about movies I have to wait months for! We only got a cinema release of the Hurt Locker in Feb!

Sep 12 - 10:12 PM

Chris L.

Chris Liu

You know exactly how I feel, living in the rustic, regressive Prairie part of Canada

Sep 12 - 10:30 PM

Tamas K.

Tamas Kovacs

If you lived in South Dakota, ticket prices are like 5 to 6 dollars for new movies. I'm always shocked when I find such high cost for a ticket mentioned by many RT users.

Sep 13 - 11:20 AM

Tamas K.

Tamas Kovacs

Your 18$ is what I meant when I talked about high cost, not my 5 to 6 dollars :)

Sep 13 - 11:22 AM

ZenFan

Dylan Hair

I actually quite enjoyed Afterlife. I thought the 3D was cool, and used to great effect, and the story hooked me, the creature action was well filmed, I especially liked the opening scenes and closing scenes the best, but the middle was never boring or dragged. Quite enjoyable overall. I'm interested in all three releases this upcoming week, Easy A, Devil and The Town, so I'll have ot find a way to squeeze them into my week/weekend

Sep 12 - 10:23 PM

Cosplay Gallery
Cosplay Gallery

See over 350 Comic-Con Costumes!

The Hobbit
The Hobbit

See the final movie's trailer

Weekly Ketchup
Weekly Ketchup

Read the Comic-Con revelations

Photo gallery of great movie spaceships